Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:27   #1471
BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
To make what? For bread, it is better to make the mix yourself - you will be sure how much you have added and what was the result.
I thought of making a healthier bread but I understood later that without adding additional wheat gluten it will not be possible to make bread with 100% whole wheat flour.
Quote:
2.5% of flour weight if using dry yeast, and 4% if using fresh yeast. More yeast (as much as 12-14g per Kg.) will produce a faster rise in cold weather, but the flavors will not develop as much. Quite akin to photography, longer rise times (preferably overnight) enable better flavor development in the dough.
I baked a basic bread today with about 70% water to flour ratio and about 1.4% yeast. I baked it in my bread machine. I came out nicely. Won't be 2.5% in the higher side? I think that will be suitable for whole wheat flour.

Also, I was looking for a plastic unbreakable measuring cup set. I already have one which is glass. But the cup measures that I find in market equals to 200ml whereas the one I have is 250ml. I also checked the recipe books and found that they are using 250ml measuring cups. Any place (online) to buy the measures?

Last edited by archat68 : 23rd March 2015 at 19:46.
Old 24th March 2015, 20:45   #1472
Senior - BHPian

I use 1 to 1.5 TBS (standard spoon) for 1kg maida bread. 1 will take longer to rise, while 2 will give you the "Yeasty" taste.

I mix the yeast in warm water (2 cups) + sugar (1/4 cup max) solution for faster activation. You can also mix the dry yeast with flour, but then uniform mix is difficult to achieve.
Old 25th March 2015, 14:04   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I thought of making a healthier bread ... adding additional wheat gluten ...
50% maida works well with atta for bread. Wheat gluten is not commonly available in small quantities. The main culprit in atta is the bran - which punctures the gas bubbles that form due to yeast action, leading to deficient rise.

Anyhow, unless you eat only bread and butter 3 meals a day everyday, don't lay so much emphasis on "healthy" bread. Unless if you want to make multigrain bread, since the other grains have direct health benefits, but are not amenable to make breads other than flatbread / roti. The only difference between atta and maida is the absence of bran in maida. If you really analyse your diet, you will find that you are consuming enough roughage / fibre not to be concerned with the shortfall when using maida.

The atta / maida battle is a product marketing blitz with scant basis. And then of course there are the 'alpavidyabhayankari' health food nazis needing attention. A happy, balanced active life without stress is far healthier than having to worry about maida. You should worry more about lifestyle diseases. My grandmother lived till 99 without ever talking of health foods - I can hardly hope to cross 70.

Quote:
... I baked a basic bread today with about 70% water to flour ratio and about 1.4% yeast. I baked it in my bread machine. I came out nicely. Won't be 2.5% in the higher side? I think that will be suitable for whole wheat flour. ...
Bread machines can do with lesser yeast as the dough is kept at an elevated temperature during the rise period. Traditional breadmaking without bread machines needs to compensate for the lower ambient temperature during rise, by using more yeast. Excess yeast causes no harm, as the yeast cells get killed while baking. If one mistakenly puts 4 times the required quantity, it only results in a slightly sour flavor.

Quote:
... Any place (online) to buy the measures?
1 cup is 240cc/ml, equivalent of 16 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon is 15ml, 1 teaspoon is 5ml.

The plastic cup measures come as a set of spoon and cup measures (1tsp to 1cup). For liquids one can get graduated mugs, jugs or beakers in glass or plastic. They are available in all the usual online storefronts: eBay, Amazon, Snapdeal, Flipkart, as well as bakewala, bakersmart, ccdsshop etc.
Old 25th March 2015, 22:38   #1474
BHPian

Can we get Salmon fish in Bangalore? Tried few stores but they sell only Indian Salmon fish which has dark color meat.

I am looking for the salmon with pinkish orange flesh.
Old 25th March 2015, 22:48   #1475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Can we get Salmon fish in Bangalore? Tried few stores but they sell only Indian Salmon fish which has dark color meat.

What are you planning on cooking?

I have seen exorbitantly priced Atlantic Salmon at Spar outlets in Hyderabad. If you are planning on grilling this fish, why not try the extremely tasty Pink Perch or Red Snapper instead.

The Indian Salmon is not related to the Atlantic Salmon. But it happens to be the most preferred fish in my household. We use it for everything from frying, fish curry to biryani.
Old 25th March 2015, 23:01   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
1 cup is 240cc/ml, equivalent of 16 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon is 15ml, 1 teaspoon is 5ml.

The plastic cup measures come as a set of spoon and cup measures (1tsp to 1cup). For liquids one can get graduated mugs, jugs or beakers in glass or plastic. They are available in all the usual online storefronts: eBay, Amazon, Snapdeal, Flipkart, as well as bakewala, bakersmart, ccdsshop etc.
Thanks for all the clarifications.
I bought a set of measures a few days ago from ebay and it turned out that the 1 cup measure is equal to 200 ml .

Wheat gluten is available with Bakersmart @ rs 70/250 gm.

Last edited by archat68 : 25th March 2015 at 23:05.
Old 25th March 2015, 23:25   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What are you planning on cooking?

I have seen exorbitantly priced Atlantic Salmon at Spar outlets in Hyderabad. If you are planning on grilling this fish, why not try the extremely tasty Pink Perch or Red Snapper instead.

The Indian Salmon is not related to the Atlantic Salmon. But it happens to be the most preferred fish in my household. We use it for everything from frying, fish curry to biryani.
Plan is to grill it and have it once a week for dinner. Family loves grilled fish and salmon preferred for the high Omega3 content.

I agree with the exorbitantly priced part. Any other fish recommended which is great for grilling and also has good Omega3 levels.
Old 25th March 2015, 23:29   #1478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree with the exorbitantly priced part. Any other fish recommended which is great for grilling and also has good Omega3 levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid

Quote:
The most widely available dietary source of EPA and DHA is cold water oily fish, such as salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies, and sardines.
Mackeral and Anchovies cost about Rs 150 a kilo.
Sardines cost less than that.

The easy way to clean these fish is to sacrifice the entire head.
Ask the fish seller to cut open the stomach and knock off the heads.
When you get the home, under a running tap, rinse the fish.
Then run a knife against the skin as if shaving it.
Then using your thumb and again keeping the fish under running water, clean the stomach area.
If you get the rhythm then you can clean a kilo in under 10-15 mins.

Don't remove the skin from these fishes. That has a really nice flavor.
Old 25th March 2015, 23:46   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Mackeral and Anchovies cost about Rs 150 a kilo.
Sardines cost less than that.
Bangalore prices are predictably much higher

Mackerel and anchovies are a regular part of diet. Want to give the grilled salmon also a try.
Old 26th March 2015, 12:40   #1480
BHPian

Quote:

Sometimes during last year, had picked up a can of Pink Salmon. Price was exorbitant as it was imported stuff, and if my memory is correct it was picked up from Lulu Hyper Mart at Cochin.
Old 26th March 2015, 14:22   #1481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IIRC, have seen frozen Pink Salmon at Spar, Sony World Signal. I am not sure but I vaguely remember having seen it there.
Old 26th March 2015, 22:27   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plan is to grill it and have it once a week for dinner. Family loves grilled fish and salmon preferred for the high Omega3 content.

Any oily fish will grill perfectly. To find out the Omega 3 content, search the net , there are tables for most fish.

here in Delhi, Surmai(Indo-Pacific king mackerel) and Singara(a type of catfish) are quite popular for Grill/Fry/Tandoor
Old 30th March 2015, 13:26   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... it turned out that the 1 cup measure is equal to 200 ml ...
LOL Use a heaped cup instead of level cup. Baking is tolerant of variations.

Quote:
... Any other fish recommended which is great for grilling and also has good Omega3 levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
... Surmai(Indo-Pacific king mackerel) and Singara(a type of catfish) ...
All sea fish have Omega 3. Surmai is Anjal or Seer Fish in Karnataka. King Fish is similar to Seer Fish, but has a black skin - Seer Fish is dark silver with blackish back. Both are available as 'steaks' or 'slices'. Consume it fresh - frozen stuff is only good for curries. Fat breaks down slightly in frozen stuff, bubbles up and runs as a whitish liquid, and the flesh tends to fall apart.

As @bblost said, Pink Perch and Red Snapper are also good when grilled. If one has a good filleting knife, it is easy to fillet these.

And then there is Mackerel or Bangda / Bangude - lovely when grilled, though most people eat it fried or in curry.

Quote:
[url]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/... Don't remove the skin from these fishes. That has a really nice flavor.
And it also has the Omega 3 fatty acids concentrated just below it!

Last edited by DerAlte : 30th March 2015 at 13:29.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:34   #1484
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Yes, the process is the same. The difference could be for how long is the beaten rice soaked, and hence the fluffiness of the final dish.

The thick one is preferred - the thin one goes mushy too fast on soaking. Soak for a short while (1 min), and let stand for 10 mins to allow the moisture to penetrate. Then fluff up the soaked poha by hand before putting it into the tadka and mixing. Tamarind juice goes in while on the heat, whereas lemon juice is added after taking it off. Garnish after taking off the heat.

Poha is the fastest-to-prepare savoury snack dish I know of. Alas, it is also the fastest to get digested. I usually have breakfast around 7:30AM, and if I eat this I am hungry again by 9AM!!!
Returning to an old question of mine.

The recap, my poha was turning out to be more like aval upma, than like the Maharashtrian poha. After follow your advice, it's much better - it's now somewhere in between a poha and an upma, but it's still not like the Maharashtrian poha so I am trying to drill down on what I am doing wrong. It's still not coming out as dry and tasty as the one I see in restaurants - it's oily. And if I put less oil, it's dry but not in the way it is in restaurants.

- After soaking in water for one minute, I let it stand for 10 minutes. Then fluff it up.
- Tadka with Hing (asafoetida), chopped onions, mustard and chopped green chillies.
- Pour the poha on the tadka

Now what do you do? Do you cook it on low heat, high heat, medium heat? How much time? Do you keep it covered while cooking or do you keep it open? Do you stir it while it's cooking?
Old 20th April 2015, 15:56   #1485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

The recap, my poha.......
This is what I do, see if it works for you:

• I use medium-thick poha. Difficult to find in Bangalore for some reason, but gives best results.
  • Get your tadka ingredients together. Chopped onions, green chillies, peanuts (optional), Asafoetida (Heeng), Mustard seeds, Fennel seeds (saunf), turmeric powder
  • Fry your tadka ingredients in a shallow pan until the onion begins turning golden brown.
  • Rinse the poha in drinking water once (crude measure, one adult handful makes a small bowl-sized helping of the finished product). Drain the water out.
  • Soak the poha again. There's no fixed time rule, chew a grain or two to test. If you don't feel the solid core of the grain, it's enough. Drain the water out (don't squeeze the poha dry right now). Takes anywhere between 30-60 secs.
  • Squeeze leftover water out and mix the soaked poha in the tadka, stir until uniformly mixed. Add salt to taste (sprinkle some salt on the tadka separately beforehand)
  • Close the pan with a lid and leave on low flame for a couple of mins. If you feel the mix is too dry, sprinkle a bit of water (not too much). This would allow your poha to cook a bit and fluff up due to the steam.
  • Add chopped coriander to garnish (if preferred). Squeeze some lemon juice.

Makes lovely, fluffy, light, non-oily poha. I prefer some Ratlami/Laung Sev to go with it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th April 2015 at 15:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks