Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 15:40   #241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Can we open a new thread to share recepies or we start posting them here itself.
Please share recipes here.
Looking forward to reading and trying them out.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:47   #242
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone used this Spray-Lite Cooking Spray - Healthy Alternative To Oil!

Looking for a review/ feedback.
Thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 12:53   #243
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone please post a nice recipe for Tomato as well as mushroom soup? Sonny and I are very fond of soups and have to go out frequently for this. My Mom and wife do prepare soup, but it tastes more like Rasam! And I don't want to use the stuff from Knorr / Maggy often.

Last edited by Gansan : 25th February 2010 at 12:56.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:36   #244
Senior - BHPian

interesting thread.

i cook only when at abroad because i have turned pure vegetarian. Also why spoil other taste by making them eat food prepared by me

I am sure, next time when i go abroad, this thread will be of great help for me to ask recipes

Last edited by recshenoy : 25th February 2010 at 14:39.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:21   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Thanks
Are these available in India ?

I have never seen such products in supermarkets in Bangalore.

Rohan
Old 25th February 2010, 16:07   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can anyone please post a nice recipe for Tomato as well as mushroom soup? Sonny and I are very fond of soups and have to go out frequently for this. My Mom and wife do prepare soup, but it tastes more like Rasam! And I don't want to use the stuff from Knorr / Maggy often.
The thing about making tomato soup is that you should use fresh/ripe ones to get good results.. You can use bread crums while having.

Knorr and Maggy ones are crap.
Old 25th February 2010, 20:01   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Are these available in India ?

I have never seen such products in supermarkets in Bangalore.

Rohan
I had seen this stuff on a tv show. Been on the look out ever since.
Never seen it in any supermarket, but came across this on the Gati website.

Posted the question here as I would like to know how it is before I order it.
Old 26th February 2010, 00:16   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Thanks
I believe these are available in select stores in B'lore ( and quite probably other cities as well). Its a fun thing to have, and can be used when making an omlette or even dosas, nothing sticks to the pan. I use this to make pancakes too, no mess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Here's what you can try:
1) I make this mix b/w a French Onion soup & regular tomato soup-
If you get diced/canned tomatoes, boil them for a good 15 mins with some pepper and salt, and maybe some herbs (ideally rosemary & thyme). Chop some onions & garlic and sautee them for about 3-4 mins. Mix a little cornflour and get a rue going, slowly adding some water to build up a stock. Add the tomatoes in and let the whole thing boil. Keep checking the consistency, and when you get a deep red/brownish color, add some grated cheese (if you want the soup creamy). Boil 2-3 mins, and get the utensil off the stove. Cool down a bit, and add some hot souce if you like it tangy. Add croutons as well, if available.

2) For the mushroom soup, get button mushrooms and clean them well.Don't wash mushrooms, as they tend to become very firm. Always wipe the mushroom with a damp cloth/tissue. Cut into thin slices and keep aside.
Warm some oil and sautee onions & garlic. Put in 1-2 bayleaves as well.Remove these after 5-6 minutes, as you don't want a very strong flavor. Lot of people like to add peas & corn in their mushroom soup, so its your call. If you do want veggies, add them now and sautee a bit till 1/2 done. If veg/meat stock is available, use that to get a much better flavor for your soups.
Once the veggies are done, work up a rue in another pan and add it to the veggies, a little at a time. Loosen the mixture with some water, if necessary. Add your seasoning now, pepper-salt-chilli powder ( some like corriander power in there too!). Add the mushrooms and keep the soup on simmer for 10 mins. Sprinkle some pepper on top and enjoy!
Old 26th February 2010, 00:21   #249
BHPian

[quote=Nitin;1753230]I believe these are available in select stores in B'lore ( and quite probably other cities as well). Its a fun thing to have, and can be used when making an omlette or even dosas, nothing sticks to the pan. I use this to make pancakes too, no mess!

is this spray stuff better than using oil? I use olive oil as a healthy alternative!
Old 26th February 2010, 01:49   #250
BHPian

Olive oil is great as long as it doesnt get too hot, since it has a very low smoking point, in which case it becomes extremely bad for you and the spray is a better alternate.
Old 26th February 2010, 02:15   #251
BHPian

Olive oil is healthy but its more than twice as expensive as vegetable/canola oil. It has a different kind of smell/flavor to it which many dislike. I got used to it in time.
Cooking spray is mostly used for oven cooking but IMO regular oil is better.
And for soup use butter instead of oil, tastes good.
Old 26th February 2010, 02:34   #252
BHPian

lately ive been making whole wheat pasta with Ragu Sauce/olive oil topped with chilli flakes,oregano & parmesan
Its really v simple to make,tastes good & healthy as well.

Have nevr cooked in India though!
Old 26th February 2010, 02:37   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Olive oil is great as long as it doesnt get too hot, since it has a very low smoking point, in which case it becomes extremely bad for you and the spray is a better alternate.

+1 i completely agree,olive oil is v harmful if heated as regular cooking oil
Old 26th February 2010, 03:37   #254
Senior - BHPian

[quote=jassi;1753240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I believe these are available in select stores in B'lore ( and quite probably other cities as well). Its a fun thing to have, and can be used when making an omlette or even dosas, nothing sticks to the pan. I use this to make pancakes too, no mess!

is this spray stuff better than using oil? I use olive oil as a healthy alternative!
Some people feel the spray has an artificial taste ( I guess its made of margarine in a liquified form) though I don't personally feel the same. The convenience is what weighs in, and unlike oil this doesn't drip when being used. Since margarine is low in cholestrol & saturated fatty acids, this should be on par with anything thats relatively healthy.
Old 26th February 2010, 03:54   #255
Senior - BHPian

bblost: Your moms recipes are mouth smacking. Will surely try those recipes and post how it came out soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks