Old 4th July 2009, 10:46   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
Copying following SMS, received from HVKumar today:

Apr 25 9:00am Kibithu AR, eastmost
Apr 29 11:15am Koteswar GJ, westmost - 4130 Kms

Congrats HVKumar!
I think Kumar did this drive alone in 98 hours and 15 minutes.

There is a news in today's Times of India about a new Limca Record.
Cross-country record in an SUV - Chandigarh - Cities - The Times of India
CHANDIGARH: In an 85-hour drive from the Western tip Koteshwar to Eastern fringe of Tezu, three city youths drove a distance of approximately 3,941 kms in a sports utility vehicle (SUV).
Setting a new Limca Book World Record of fastest drive, from Koteshwar in Gujarat to Tezu, Arunachal Pradesh, the trio broke the previous record of 119 hours and are now aiming for the North to South one very soon. A participant, Bhalinder Singh Sangha, said, "The journey was to start from Tezu, as we wanted to cover the hilly terrain first, but owing to bad weather conditions, we started from Koteshwar. Our plan was to cover 1,255 kms in 24 hours, to ensure that we completed the required 3,766 kms in 90 hours with a six-hour break after every 1,255 km covered. However, we reached our destination in just 84 hours and 52 minutes, and that also covering 175 kms more."
Sangha, a rally driver, has taken part in Raid-de-Himalaya, Desert Storm and various other national level motor sport events. A regular vehicle tester and consultant for major automobile companies, he not only brings driving experience to the team but also adds to automobile knowhow.
Harinder Singh, another participant, said, "Extreme sports do affect the human body. However, if we plan everything in detail, the effect is visibly reduced."
The third youth, Karanbir Singh Bedi, has participated in and won a number of events earlier as well. An avid adventure sports enthusiast, Karan has repeatedly shown the aptitude and ability to put in long stints behind the wheels of very fast cars to set records.
His advice to the youth is to venture out to see the country, instead of wasting their time and energy in petty things. Describing the expedition, he quipped, "It was a fabulous drive. In this journey, every few 100 kilometres every thing changed, the terrain, the language, the people, the weather and, of course the road conditions. Without a doubt, this was Incredible India."
This record drive is also 189 km shorter than the one undertook by HVK.

I think HVK should register some of his drives. He can then have a Limca book of HVK records.
Old 6th July 2009, 10:33   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I think Kumar did this drive alone in 98 hours and 15 minutes.

There is a news in today's Times of India about a new Limca Record.
Cross-country record in an SUV - Chandigarh - Cities - The Times of India
CHANDIGARH: In an 85-hour drive from the Western tip Koteshwar to Eastern fringe of Tezu, three city youths drove a distance of approximately 3,941 kms in a sports utility vehicle (SUV).
Setting a new Limca Book World Record of fastest drive, from Koteshwar in Gujarat to Tezu, Arunachal Pradesh, the trio broke the previous record of 119 hours and are now aiming for the North to South one very soon. A participant, Bhalinder Singh Sangha, said, "The journey was to start from Tezu, as we wanted to cover the hilly terrain first, but owing to bad weather conditions, we started from Koteshwar. Our plan was to cover 1,255 kms in 24 hours, to ensure that we completed the required 3,766 kms in 90 hours with a six-hour break after every 1,255 km covered. However, we reached our destination in just 84 hours and 52 minutes, and that also covering 175 kms more."

This record drive is also 189 km shorter than the one undertook by HVK.

I think HVK should register some of his drives. He can then have a Limca book of HVK records.

Thanks, pbiju, for the compliment.
A few facts from my drive vis-a-vis the one referred above.
Kibithu is further east than Tezu is - and my drive was 4,133 kms from Kibithu to Koteshwar. I took the East-West corridor that is under construction most of the way except in the following sections:
Kibithu-Jalukhbari-Goalpara-North Salamara-Cooch Behar-Siliguri (since the EW road comes from Silchar and I intersected it at Jalukhbari)
Purnea-Forbesganj-Darbhanga-Muzaffurpur (since bridges across River Kosi are incomplete)
Samakiyari-Bhuj-Koteshwar (since the EW branches off to Rajkot and POrbandar)

My time was 25/4/09 900 am to 29/4/09 1115 am, which is an absolute time of 98 hrs 15 m, and a driving time of 73 hrs and 45 mts, details as follows:
25/4 - Kibithu/Dibrugarh - 900 am-800 pm, 427 kms
26/4 thru 27/4 - Dibrugarh/Kanpur - 500 am - 830 pm (next day), 2,076 kms
28/4 - Kanpur/Palanpur - 400 am - 815 pm, 1,093 kms
29/4 - Palanpur/KOteshwar - 415 am - 1115 am, 537 kms
totalling 4,133 kms

I was driving solo, and except for the first 887 kms, I was alone.
My second day was a non-stopper 39 hr 30 mt drive from Dibrugarh to Kanpur.

Having said this, I have no desire to set any records, mine is a pure driving holiday at my pace and will, and am happy the way it is.

Yes, theoretically, I am faster than the guys referred above by 11 hours and also covered nearly 200 kms more. And I was driving solo. Good to see many driving around the country.

My Kashmir-Kanyakumari drive (solo) was in Dec 2002, on conventional 2-lane roads:
24/12 - Srinagar/Panipat - 720 am - 1200 mid, 814 kms
25/12 - Panipat/Sagar - 510 am - 915 pm, 740 kms
26/12 - 27/12 (next day) - Sagar/Kanyakumari - 450 am - 900 pm, 2,187 kms
totalling 3,741 kms in 72 hrs 55 mts

Mods: I am simply responding to the request on clarifying on my earlier drives, and not discussing my non-stop long-distance driving issues.
Old 6th July 2009, 11:33   #94
BHPian

Take a bow Kumar! I am so inspired after reading about your exploits that as soon as my I have settled down with my new Punto, I am planning a long drive (have a couple of options, not decided yet). Will surely take cues from your logs and seek your help as and when required. Keep munching on the miles!
Old 6th July 2009, 12:30   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
He can then have a Limca book of HVK records.
Limca book of HVK records . . . . . Thats a good one!

- Kesri

Most Viewed