Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 12:36   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is there any member here who is connected to the oil PSUs/co.'s, and/or can throw some light on the process of lubricating oil recycling that happens in India?
Didn't we have a member here who was an expert on fuels? He might know more. (I did a couple of searches and couldn't find his posts)

Does anyone remember who it was ?
Old 12th April 2009, 12:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I think... Dr____ --- but my brain cells need a doctor!

Within the last week or so, I was seeing his very detailed posts on fuel ingredients, additives, octane values and ...everything!
Old 12th April 2009, 13:50   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you mean Dr. Sumit Bhatti, our resident expert on auto fuels. Yes of course! Your opinion please, Dr Bhatti.
Old 18th April 2009, 07:00   #19
BANNED

I've also that heard local 2-wheeler garages usually use recycled engine oils.
Old 16th January 2010, 21:28   #20
BHPian

I remember once my car engine oil change was done at roadside mechanic, he kept the used oil in barrel and that barrel was almost full of black used oil. Suddenly a man on cycle with two empty barrel appeared and began to bargain with mechanic. Finally some amount was agreed and my mechanic sold oil to him. This guy who purchased oil definately not an angel to give the oil for proper disposal.

Now suppose this used oil get processed and packed and reaches me in sealed Castrol GTX (the oil which I use in my car) container, is there any way I can check if its surplus oil and not geniune?

I think used oil before we find genuine party who dispose oil correctly should be kept in sealed plastic container (not in any engine oil container, it should be crushed before throwing) and then disposed so that garbage collector can pick and throw it where all garbage go. This way oil will not come in contact with environment. Also is there any chemical which we can add ourself to this used oil before throwing which could make it impossible to recycle for these surplus oil manufacturers?
Old 16th January 2010, 21:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Not anything technical, but just some common sense.

New oil would be viscous(thick), transparent, and the colour which it possesses would be rich.(Generally it would be red/orange/transparent/blue) Just try smelling the oil and you would know whether it is used or unused. Used oil smells sooty.

Used oil would be watery, black, would have developed some opaqueness and would contain dirt and grime.
Old 16th January 2010, 23:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
bblost : Can you please provide the address to which it has to be sent.
@BBlost, your neighborhood Shell bunk .. they provide oil change service for two wheelers. While the grade will be different, atleast you give it for a more orgainzed disposal.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 01:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Spurious Oil Makers pay Rs. 7 for a litre.
And garages use 210 Litre barrels. So, do the math on how much they make per barrel.
Hi guys

The current going rate of used oil is Rs.15 per litre.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 16:40   #24
BHPian

Hi, its not the oil firms that need to set up collection points, rather the Municipal Corporation of every city , must provide a collection point where people can go and sort out their used oil, batteries, refrigerators, AC's, rubber, plastic etc.

Its then upto the MC's to deal with them in the best possible way, to minimise the damage to environment.
Old 17th January 2010, 16:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Not anything technical, but just some common sense.

New oil would be viscous(thick), transparent, and the colour which it possesses would be rich.(Generally it would be red/orange/transparent/blue) Just try smelling the oil and you would know whether it is used or unused. Used oil smells sooty.

Used oil would be watery, black, would have developed some opaqueness and would contain dirt and grime.
Not true. At least not always true. I'v heard that spurious oil traders are getting smarter. They filter and process the oil such that you will not be able to tell the difference (through sight, touch and smell at least), between the genuine stuff and re-processed stuff. Also, it is not at all necessary that used oil is watery.

As for disposing oil containers, I prefer not to crush them. I usually deface them either by tearing the label and/or writing across them with a permanent marker, before I get rid of them.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:09   #26
BHPian

^^ But can't they put new labels? printing label is not a big deal. Permanent markers can also be rubbed off. Just poking few holes using screwdriver or crushing by foot can make oil containers not useful.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I don't think printing new label just like the original will be easy. Also, I guess, many companies now have holograms too. I don't think you can just rub off a permanent marker. Yes, many labels are plastic covered... so if you mark on them, it just might be possible... but I guess even that will be very difficult cus AFAIK, permanent markers are "permanent" on plastic too. But then counterfeiters could just peel the plastic off, and the marking along with it. Anyway, I usually tear off the plastic and mark the paper itself.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:47   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
...disposing oil containers, I prefer not to crush them. I usually deface them either by tearing the label and/or writing across them with a permanent marker, before I get rid of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Just poking few holes using screwdriver or crushing by foot can make oil containers not useful.
The best way is to cut apart the plastic cans with a hacksaw and then dispose of them. These cans are heavy-duty enough to allow some repair and cleaning before refilling with spurious oil - so a hole punched with a screwdriver is sealed, and permanent markers are chemically wiped off. New labels are easy to print, and even though they may not look perfectly original, most non-alert customers esp. in Tier-2 cities and smaller towns cannot make out the difference.
Old 20th February 2010, 18:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

^^^Gosh, thats too much work! Besides, would it be really viable for counterfeiters to take so much time to repair the containers like this? If they can do all this, and even succeed in replicating the labels really well, then the next logical step for them would be to start sourcing identical containers also from somewhere... scary!
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2010, 20:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Used motor oil is usually used as an ingredient in poor quality rubber components...

Also, AFAIK, the oil can also be re used if it goes through a refinement process..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks