Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 13:25   #1606
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Watched 3 movies that came on streaming platforms:

C U Soon (4.5/5.0):
Great effort indeed. The format maybe inspired from Searching, but they managed to create a story with its own identity. There maybe some logical questions, but overall a thoroughly enjoyable movie. Great work by Mahesh Narayanan and its his editing that really stands out. And brilliant acting all the leads!

Kilometers & Kilometers (2.5/5.0):
I watched this with zero expectations (the trailer did not impress), but it was not as bad as I thought. Tovino did struggle a bit on the innocent villager act, and the good India v/s bad west is a bit over-the-top. But overall I felt it was a watchable effort.

Maniyarayile Ashokan (0.5/5.0):
Pathetic is an understatement. Expectations were slightly high considering that it was produced by Dulquer Salmaan – but a colossal waste of time (even on Netflix). 0.5 is for the cinematography.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 16:27   #1607
BHPian

I am surprised nobody here has spoken about Aamis. An assamese love story that is really and literally more than skin deep. Taken beautifully as well. Must watch for anyone who is a Cinephile or a Gastrophile or both.
sai_ace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 16:32   #1608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I am surprised nobody here has spoken about Aamis. An assamese love story that is really and literally more than skin deep. Taken beautifully as well. Must watch for anyone who is a Cinephile or a Gastrophile or both.
That’s because not too many have even heard of it, let alone seeing it. It stayed in theaters for some time and vanished. Quite a revolutionary movie I must say in many possible ways and loved every bit of it. Also, it’s not on any steaming platform yet, and that probably is hurting the real cinephiles.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 17:50   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Kilometers & Kilometers (2.5/5.0):
I watched this with zero expectations (the trailer did not impress), but it was not as bad as I thought. Tovino did struggle a bit on the innocent villager act, and the good India v/s bad west is a bit over-the-top. But overall I felt it was a watchable effort..
Where did you catch this one?
Old 14th September 2020, 06:52   #1610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Maniyarayile Ashokan (0.5/5.0):
Pathetic is an understatement. Expectations were slightly high considering that it was produced by Dulquer Salmaan – but a colossal waste of time (even on Netflix). 0.5 is for the cinematography.
Completely agree! For someone like me who is a DQ fan, I had super high expectations waiting for this one to come up on Netflix. I set aside other activities to watch it with family, and when I did get around to watching it, I cringed. It was horrible, and easily the worst movie I have watched in recent times.

Similar rating from my side as well, the 0.5 in my case being for the song.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:59   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Goyenda Junior [Bengali, Hotstar]

As you said, very half baked. Watched it with my son who lost interest in 30 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
That's the beauty of the OTT platforms these days. Anyways, Amazon has the entire SHOBOR SERIES- EBAAR SHOBOR, ASHCHE ABAR SHOBOR, EAGOLER CHOKH. Good old style detective series well enacted by the principal characters. Also, CHATUSHKONE, BARNO PORICHOY on Prime are well made movies and are recommended watch.

Regards.

My take on Shabar movies - watchable, but not great. Incidentally, some of you may recognise the protagonist as the dreaded Bob Biswas from Kahaani. He is of course a reputed character actor who plays the pot bellied world weary middle aged police detective.

I did not like Chatushkone, Barno Porichoy was slightly better. Would recommend 22 she Srabon ahead of both.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th September 2020 at 21:40. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 09:57   #1612
KPR
BANNED

Watched "Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum" full movie for the first time. Nostalgic moments of Fiat. The director has aced in making car a character of the film. Worth watch for all BHP-ians.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 18:27   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Watched "Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum" full movie for the first time. Nostalgic moments of Fiat. The director has aced in making car a character of the film. Worth watch for all BHP-ians.
Watched the movie today. Liked it for its simplicity and emotions. Feel good movie.
K_Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 22:04   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Which platform please ?
YouTube doesn't have English subs
Old 20th September 2020, 11:14   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Watched "Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum"
Thanks for letting know. Watched last night. Nice movie. Kudos to the makers to come up with such subject. Loved the location set up. Anyone knows where it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Which platform please ?
YouTube doesn't have English subs
Only on youtube I guess, and yes no subtitles. Sadly, you need to know the language to be able to like the movie, as the slang is slightly different from the usual Tamil and you will miss the sentiments if you could not catch some dialogues.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 23:20   #1616
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
On another note, there is a Bangla movie named VINCI DA and which is streaming on Amazon Prime and which I will recommend for wholeheartedly. A masterful movie with a twisted climax with fantastic acting by the lead actors who are few of the best from the Bengali industry.
Thanks for suggesting, good one time watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Watched Vinci da. Excellent movie.
Please suggest some more Bangla crime thrillers movies available on Prime and Netflix.
Thanks.
This led me to another Bangla movie - Dhananjoy - that I thoroughly enjoyed. Would rate it 4/5
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 01:26   #1617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
I did not like Chatushkone, Barno Porichoy was slightly better. Would recommend 22 she Srabon ahead of both.
22she Sharabon is miles ahead but I can only suggest what’s available online. As far as I can tell, the movie is only available on Hoichoi and that is why I couldn’t recommend. In fact, I liked Khaad as well but I am not sure if it is streaming on any platform or not !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Thanks for suggesting, good one time watch.
This led me to another Bangla movie - Dhananjoy - that I thoroughly enjoyed. Would rate it 4/5
Yes, I was little hesitant in recommending Dhanonjoy because I was not sure if people remember or know the original story or not. The chronology or sequence in the movie actually depicts the events leading up to the hanging and many people still think that Dhananjay was made a scapegoat !! But surely just as Dhananjay, another movie named Nobel chor is also an eye opener for me personally and should be watched for the acting prowess of a person named Mithun Chakraborty.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:57   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Aapla Manus [Marathi, Netflix]

A drama-mystery starring Nana Patekar in a double role. He is both the victim (an old man who falls off his flat balcony) and the investigator (the senior cop investigating the incident). Did the old man accidentally fall, jump or was thrown down - this is the mystery thread. The other people involved are his son and daughter-in-law who live with him in the same flat.

It is a taut mystery though a bit preachy and regressive in its core message. Personally, I liked the investigator Nana more than the victim Nana. The other cast members are quite adequate for their roles.

Not a great movie by any yardstick, but if you are like me - a sucker for the genre - you might want to watch this one.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:04   #1619
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Watched Aapla Manus and agree with the opinion. Interesting watch. Read that it had been adapted from a play and the whole set up looked and felt stage like. A bit too preachy, but I guess that was expected as it was not meant to be just a thriller.

Nana Patekar was very good and the rest of the cast also did a good job. Liked one of the end lines by Nana Patekar where the couple ask the detective Nana "you look very similar to our father" and he responds "people with the same worries look alike". . The ending scene was totally unwanted.
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:24   #1620
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Thanks for letting know. Watched last night. Nice movie. Kudos to the makers to come up with such subject. Loved the location set up. Anyone knows where it is?
My guess it should've been shot at Karaikudi style of bungalows. There are many such bungalows in TN villages still. Remember Chandramukhi movie bungalow front area too will be similar to this setup. But Google search yielded me this

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Rs%2040%20lakh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks