Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 08:45   #1921
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Biriyaani (Malayalam) – 3.5/5.0
Not a great cinematic experience from the technical side, but the storyline is really hard-hitting and can bring home mixed opinions. Kani Kusruti was superb, and I am pleasantly surprised that she grabbed the state award for the best actress for this portrayal.

Next in line – Mohan Kumar Fans, and Wolf.
I didn't find anything great about Biriyaani. But it was way too gory/adult orientated for a Malayalam movie.

Mohan Kumar Fans is a good watch but I would recommend you to skip Wolf. Thanks to Samyuktha's horrible acting, you know what will happen.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 09:04   #1922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Aarkariyam: NeeStream
Aarkariyam is on Amazon Prime. We watched it over the weekend.
Was just about ok, if you ask me. I felt it dragged a lot, and too many situations were introduced which weren't further developed as such.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 10:12   #1923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I didn't find anything great about Biriyaani. But it was way too gory/adult orientated for a Malayalam movie.
Yes, that’s why I said it was not a great cinematic experience, the production quality was very average. But it (with or without an agenda) probably can open some more experimental avenues in Malayalam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
Mohan Kumar Fans is a good watch but I would recommend you to skip Wolf. Thanks to Samyuktha's horrible acting, you know what will happen.
Thanks, probably won’t waste time on Wolf then
Watched Mohan Kumar and I felt it did not match up with Jis Joy’s last two efforts; Vinay Fort was a riot though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Was just about ok, if you ask me. I felt it dragged a lot, and too many situations were introduced which weren't further developed as such.
Prime in Singapore is pretty sad – most of the Malayalam movies takes ages to show up. Agree on Aarkariyam; as mentioned in the earlier post, I did not like it.
Old 25th May 2021, 10:18   #1924
Senior - BHPian

I managed to catch the Malayalam movie ‘Kala’ when it popped up in recommendations.

Don’t get me wrong, I somehow never understood that movie. Just 3 characters, one of them being very Dark. Many questions, than answers, for me after watching.

That said, the locales are superb. Some off-roading places are like wow!
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 13:36   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Please watch Mohan Kumar Fans, something different from the sea of thrillers. I watched it today and is definitely a good one time watch.
Watched Mohan Kumar Fans, as such is not very good. But after watching series of crime thriller, this came in as a welcome change. Good performances by Kunchacko and Siddique.

One quick query- why does credits in the beginning of Malayalam movies so lengthy? Every movie will thank top stars from the industry and their fans
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 16:30   #1926
BHPian

Kala - Malayalam (Amazon Prime)

OK, so Tovino got to do quite a bit in terms of romance (lip locks with the heroine), showing his muscular physique, manliness, aggressiveness, fighting etc etc etc

And the director got to convey some really strong points - fear, insecurity, power, slavery, freedom, david vs goliath, rich vs poor, victory, violence, animal love blah blah blah

But as a viewer I just got a headache . I do love watching realistic movies but at times I feel some of these new gen movies are going a little way overboard in terms of hardcore realism. Cmon, realist movies can also have some humor or sattire, or some simple twists to make your mind work or a storyline with some depth (like Nayattu)...

Conclusion : Will I watch this movie again if it comes on TV? Chances are practically nil, considering i dont know what is more to watch again other than the liplocks (which would be censored) .
Unless I am missing something in this violently realistic movie.

My rating : 1.5/5

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 21:41   #1927
BHPian

Hello Friends,
Some movies I watched over the last year are listed here, not in any particular order. Most of the movies are available in Prime, Hotstar, Zee5, Netflix & SunNxt (though I dont know some languages, thanks to subtitles, i still enjoyed).
1. Seeru (Tamil) - Forget it. Not much story. 3/10
2. HIT first case (telugu) - Speed of the movie is what is amazing. People dont even walk slow - 7/10
3. Joseph (malayalam) - Slow thriller - 6/10
4. Dia (Kannada) - Why did they have to keep climax like that? 6/10
5. Master (Tamil) - Somehow I am not connected to movie, except for VS - 5/10
6. Kavaludhari (kannada) - Some parts are long, but good thriller overall - 6/10
7. Ayyapanum Koshyum (Malayalam) - Amazing movie, enjoyed it - 7/10
8. Ala Vaikuntapuramulo (Telugu)- Enjoyable family movie - 7/10
9. Jersey (Telugu) - Really enjoyable movie. I loved the way movie was played out. The kid is amazing - 8/10
10. Pulikuthi pandi (Tamil) - Except for unexpected climax movie is just another movie - 5/10
11. Karnan (Tamil) - I was able to relate to the place and mindset of peole. But still i felt the movie to be slow - 6/10
12. Sarileru Neekevaru (Telugu) - No comments - 4/10
13. Kannum Kannum Kollaiaditha (Tamil)l - A very decent movie with nice twists - 6/10
14. Pattas (Tamil) - Another forgetable movie - 4/10
15. Draupathi (Tamil) - Nothing much to say, except for a good intention - 5/10
16. Mafia: Chapter 1 (Tamil): Started off well. But wholly idiotic climax - 5/10
17. Jeevi (Tamil): Another low budget movie that keeps you hooked - 7/10
18. Vaanam Kottatum (Tamil): Another decent movie -family watch - 6/10
19. Soorarai potru (Tamil): Somehow felt hero was crying a lot. Its purely my opinion. But wholly watchable - 6/10
20. Mookuthi Amman (Tamil): Decent movie. Not much content - 6/10
21.Middle class melodies (Telugu): A good family movie - 6/10
22. V (Telugu): Another forgettable movie - 5/10
23. Trance (Malayalam): Decent movie - 6/10

There are some more movies which i started watching but left off as i could not continue / keep my attention.
Note: I am inclined to Thrillers / investigative movies.
barathvajan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 20:42   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled upon this old movie- Manamantha. Brilliant acting, good screenplay, good family entertainer. Mohanlal as usual is brilliant but what a performance by Gautami and the small girl.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 11:55   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
-- No spoilers below, but if you like a virgin experience while watching a movie, don't read further. --

If they had trimmed about 30 mins of its 2 hours running time, it would have been an easier watch.

I like Sharafuddeen, but I don't think he was the right cast for the role of Roy. Was initially surprised by the choice of Biju Menon for the role of Itty, but don't think any of the senior actors would have done justice to that role the same way Biju did.

And Parvathy was wasted in the role of Shirley, where any actress would have sufficed. But I guess since she is being shunned by major movie houses, she is desperate to take up less significant roles.

Last edited by dragonfire : 28th May 2021 at 12:13. Reason: No storylines, spoilers please. Thank you!
Old 28th May 2021, 12:16   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
One quick query- why does credits in the beginning of Malayalam movies so lengthy? Every movie will thank top stars from the industry and their fans
You have mentioned the biggest gripe I have about current Malayalam movies. At least in OTTs you can skip this portion but it is very irritating in theatres. Thanking everyone from the Chief Minister, Mammootty, Mohanlal to some random local bankers. Some kind of sycophancy
mallumowgli is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 13:52   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One quick query- why does credits in the beginning of Malayalam movies so lengthy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Thanking everyone from the Chief Minister, Mammootty, Mohanlal to some random local bankers.
Heh. Some of those are genuine thank-you notes (thanking a business owner for allowing to shoot inside their business premises, thanking civic administration officials for facilitating outdoor shoots, thanking police officers for crowd control & security, thanking knowledgeable people for providing inputs on plot points, thanking connected people for providing introductions and so on). The rest, originally was to please the fans associations of the divinity of Malayalam cinema who could make or break the FDFS of any movie but now every njanjool (earthworm) also has a fan club it seems. And now, online portals can have similarly vexatious effects so they are all thanked too.

Last edited by binand : 28th May 2021 at 13:54.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 18:24   #1932
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajisha Vijayan's sports drama- 'Kho-Kho', premiering on Asianet at 7PM today. It has not come on any OTT yet. For folks who have cable tv
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 12:21   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Watched "Ek Mini Katha". Though similar to Vicky Donor with different topic, I loved the movie. Good comedy after ages, decent acting by newcomers. Movie wraps up with good social message.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 18:15   #1934
Senior - BHPian

+100!! Since I understand the language as well, the comedy came through even better than reading the subtitles. Some scenes specially caused me to burst out laughing. I was watching on the phone at night and my wife almost kicked me out of the room as it was disturbing her with my constant giggles & some sudden out bursts!

Quote:
Watched "Ek Mini Katha". Though similar to Vicky Donor with different topic, I loved the movie. Good comedy after ages, decent acting by newcomers. Movie wraps up with good social message.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 09:33   #1935
Senior - BHPian

[Krishnankutty Pani Thudangi, Mariyam Vannu Vilakkoothi - Malayalam, Zee5]

I took out a Zee5 subscription to watch Operation Java, and along with it watched these two back to back (in fact, the presence of these two influenced our decision to take that subscription, tbh). These are two films in very different genres and styles.

Krishnankutty Pani Thudangi (Krishnankutty has started his work) is one of those suspense stories that have been in abundant supply during the pandemic days. Minimal number of characters (4 main ones, here), story taking place over a short period of time (24 hours and some flashbacks) in a single location (an isolated bungalow in the middle of a forest, as is common) and a hint of the supernatural. The supernatural mystery thread is resolved about 2/3rd into the movie and the rest degenerates into a slasher revenge story. The first part did have my attention but it wandered in the second. The biggest problem was that the actors weren't experienced or talented enough for the complex roles, in my opinion.

Note that the reason for the motivation of a major character (as revealed in a back story) could be distressing; viewer discretion is advised. My wife couldn't take it. I'm of the opinion that it is all stuff that happens in the world around us and no point in avoiding it in movies.

Mariyam Vannu Vilakkoothi (Maryam extinguished the lamp) has been described as a stoner comedy. Five friends assemble in the house where one of them is living as a paying guest, to celebrate a birthday. Instead of the usual liquid intoxicant these people consume a cocktail of narcotics. Much hilarity ensues. There certainly are laughs (one character pretending to be a TV set and reacting to the remote control in another's hand is particularly hilarious) but I don't think it is one that'd be remembered like some of the earlier Malayalam movies.

Note that it has explicit scenes of narcotics consumption, so might not be appropriate for all children (unlike the other Malayalam comedy movies that are big hits with kids).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks