Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 19:20   #1966
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Cold Case (Malayalam) - 2.5/5

You want an investigative thriller with Prithviraj?
Watch Mumbai Police!
Wish I had a recommendation for a horror thriller, bit I don't. Had too many loose ends & coincidences. Worth a watch when you have absolutely nothing else to do.
Old 6th July 2021, 12:26   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Watched Sara’S (Malayalam) yesterday. Rating 3/5

It's a feel good movie with a message regarding responsible parenting vs accidental parenting.

Cheers!
Old 6th July 2021, 18:14   #1968
Distinguished - BHPian

Sara'S-Malayalam-Anna Ben, Sunny Wayne. A good watch about an aspiring film maker who wants to focus on her first film with the society pressurizing to get married/have kids etc. Has a message on how one needs to prepare for being a parent and it not being an automatic expectation a year after marriage.

Actually a heavy topic, but told in a light and entertaining manner without becoming preachy and trying to blame anyone for their choices and expectations. Specially liked the small role done by Siddique.

Rating: 3.5/5

Trivia: Anna Ben's dad in the film is her real dad- Noted script writer Benny.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 04:21   #1969
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the recco, guys. Wifey also mentioned Sara's last evening.
Added to the watchlist.
Old 8th July 2021, 01:04   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Saw Sara's . In an ocean of investigative thrillers and murder mysteries which has recently taken over Malayalam cinema, this is a welcome change. An urban peppy movie with the right elements and an engaging story line. The movie has the right elements and is fun to watch till the end. Would give it 3/5 and is definitely worth a watch.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 05:20   #1971
BHPian

I had the misfortune of watching 3 waste movies this weekend - so far.

Eeswaran on Hotstar (Tamil)
Oka Chinna Viramam on AHA (Telugu)
Vikramarkudu 2021 on AHA again (Telugu)

The fourth movie is - The Tomorrow Wars - is in English and as avoidable as the three listed above.

Vikramarkudu 2021, the official dubbed version of "Junga" a 2018 Sethupathi movie, is a total waste of time.

Oka Chinna Viramam - the only thing that happens in this movie is drone shots of cars driving, first a Nexon that breaks down and then an Ambassador. Surprised that people spend so much money to make such movies nowadays.

Eeswaran - This movie is a family movie but totally loses the plot from the beginning.

I strongly advise all fans of Tamil & Telugu cinema to avoid these disaster-pieces by a mile and have yourselves an excellent Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
You want an investigative thriller with Prithviraj?
Watch Mumbai Police!
+1.
Mumbai Police is an amazing movie and if one wishes to see more of Prithviraj as a cop, do watch - Memories - where he plays a washed out alcoholic IPS officer who is roped in by his senior to solve strange kidnappings.

Last edited by Ithaca : 11th July 2021 at 05:24.
Old 11th July 2021, 08:58   #1972
Distinguished - BHPian

Chathur Mukham - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-v1_.jpg

Avoid it. Don't go by the reviews. It was super bad. Manju was just ok (sometimes felt she was overacting), Sunny was boring but Alencier was super bad. The character didn't suit him (the "know-all" scientist) and you can see him struggling with English at times. But the best one would be the "It's my xxxxx" dialogue in the end. That completes it .

Avoid it!
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 18:02   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Chathurmugham - 2.5/5

At first you might be wonder stuck on what the heck is going on but I think overall it is a good package - a time pass thriller. I think this is the first movie that Manju had the longest screen presence. I think she is there in all the frames. Sunny does not have anything to do, but his unique speaking style makes it not that boring. Watch without any expectation!

Kudos to the makers for daring to make a movie with such a subject line.
Old 12th July 2021, 20:12   #1974
BHPian

Tried watching Cold Case and Mohan Kumar Fans and couldn't get past 10 minutes (the time it takes to know whether the makers know their job or not).

I think I am beginning to like the concept of OTT. You can stop if you don't like a movie and try another one. I had to endure many a trash movie in the past just because I went inside a movie hall.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:35   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Tried watching Cold Case and Mohan Kumar Fans and couldn't get past 10 minutes (the time it takes to know whether the makers know their job or not).
I implore you to persist with Cold Case - it’s a case of “so bad, it’s good”. Treat it like a spoof, and there’s so many good laughs in there. Definitely not what the makers intended though
Pequod is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 10:04   #1976
Senior - BHPian

[Chathurmukham - Malayalam, Zee5]

Caught this over two sittings over the last two days. A horror movie with some of the standard tropes (lights switching off by themselves, objects moving by themselves, badly executed nightmare sequences, apparitions...). I'm not much of a fan of run-of-the-mill horror movies because they all end up having risible premises and explanations for the supernatural. This one also doesn't disappoint, going at length into some rigmarole about negative energy (which apparently obeys the law of conservation of energy) and stuff.

Basic premise - a woman (Manju Warrier) damages her phone, and due to financial issues has to buy a cheap unknown brand from a local e-commerce portal. Selfies taken with this new phone has a number embedded in them, signifying the number of days the owner has left to live. Our lady's first selfie says "21" - so now she's on a time-bound quest to trace the provenance of the phone to save her own life. In this she's assisted by her business partner (Sunny Wayne) and a physicist friend of the latter (a horribly miscast Alencier Ley Lopez).

On the plus side, this one doesn't have a séance sequence.
Old 13th July 2021, 11:28   #1977
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
I implore you to persist with Cold Case - it’s a case of “so bad, it’s good”. Treat it like a spoof, and there’s so many good laughs in there. Definitely not what the makers intended though
Totally agree! We did exactly the same. It was like watching 'Scary Movie' type spoofs, but in Malayalam.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:44   #1978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Totally agree! We did exactly the same. It was like watching 'Scary Movie' type spoofs, but in Malayalam.
There is a better one at that - try watching Chathurmukham! Malayalam movie industry is showing how a pandemic is playing havoc on moviemakers' mind.
Old 16th July 2021, 11:01   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

Malik-Fahad Fazil-Mahesh Narayan-Malayalam-Prime Video: The much awaited large canvas movie from the team that gave us 'Take-Off' and 'C U Soon'. Overall does not disappoint. The template is a well known one. Small time gangster/rowdy/good for nothing becoming a kind of godfather/don for his area/community and the plotting to bring about his downfall by Police, bureaucracy, politicians, friends turned foes etc.. Partly based on some real life incidents.

As expected, brilliant performances from all of the cast, wonderfully shot, multiple character arcs. Can see why they held off so long to try to get this in theaters (the movie was ready before the pandemic started in 2020). Movie is 2 hr 45 min long but does not drag or bore you. One interesting thing is that there are no over the top mass moments and things happen suddenly and quickly and if you are not paying attention, you may miss what happened.

Rating:3.5/5

Note: Watch out for the opening nearly 15 min long single shot sequence.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 16th July 2021 at 11:06.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 11:17   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[b]The template is a well known one.
Now the FFs version of GodFather-Nayagan is out, we will wait for KGF styled Dulquer's Kurup

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks