Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 14:08   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Anugraheethan Antony - Malayalam (Amazon Prime)

Alright, let me keep it short. Avoid!

I dragged my wife and daughter to watch this saying this is a family type movie, and should be a good evening watch. Add that the story also revolved around puppies and surely you couldn't get it wrong. But they did.
Shocked to see your review.
But probably it went wrong for you because you were expecting a different genre like you said.

I just loved this movie. A nice fantasy feel good entertainer amidst other hyped psycho-thriller movies floating around. I have never looked up for a Sunny Wayne's movie but watching this I am hooked to him. One of the song in it Kamini roopini.. is beautiful too.

Anugraheethan Antony - (Malayalam) - 3.5/5

Last edited by balenoed_ : 27th July 2021 at 14:10.
Old 27th July 2021, 21:16   #2012
Distinguished - BHPian

The Great Indian Kitchen - Streaming on Amazon Prime is such a class act. Seldom has such a topic been discussed in Indian cinema with such clarity. Mundane things but so powerfully depicted in the movie. At one point of time through the movie, I was wondering how reality looks so awful on screen.

Malayalam movies have always been thought provoking since the days of Adoor Gopalakrishnan but these new age cinemas are something to cherish about. I am sure members here have already perhaps seen the movie and I am late to the party but kudos to the makers for this gem. The movie can inspire as well as rectify many and if it impacts even one person, the movie is worth it.

Top performances from everyone and even that little girl delivering milk everyday is aptly cast.

Rating- Beyond any rating, absolute must watch.

Maati- Bengali, available on Amazon Prime and YouTube. The movie chronicles the journey of a lady who visits Bangladesh to see her ancestor’s place and what she experiences there. Starring one of my favourites, the wonderful Adil Hussain and Paoli Dam, the movie breaks many a stereotypes and tells us that situation often gets the better of many persons but that happens without any hatred or prejudices.

Rating- 4/5 for the acting and the storyline. It’s a moving story about the pangs of partition and how the subsequent generations took the pains.

Thanks to the streaming platforms that we are able to see the fine movies across languages.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 27th July 2021 at 21:32.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:42   #2013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
[b] Also the rap music 'Neeye Oli', now playing on my Spotify playlist.
You should watch this . Some of the rappers down south are taking it to next level though are not getting the required attention. Hope scene changes a bit.

PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 09:13   #2014
Senior - BHPian

[Bannerghatta - Malayalam, Amazon Prime]

An experimental minimalistic movie (running time of 100 minutes, with just one main actor and the rest all as voices, except for a few who turn up in the climactic showdown or in certain shots).

Our protagonist is driving a battered-looking Omni throughout the movie - running an errand - while also talking to a number of people (family members, business associates, friends, and as the movie progresses - even to strangers) on his phone. These phone calls draw a picture of the man for us - failed business, failed relationships, debt-ridden... The man is quite evidently a habitual liar. One of the calls he receives is from his sister who has gone to Bangalore for a job interview. That call gets cut abruptly on a sinister note and now he has to use his phone and contacts to find out what happened to her.

It was interesting enough for me, but I didn't think the protagonist actor had it in him to carry such a movie all on his own.

The climax I believe happens along the service road (towards Coimbatore) underneath the massive Chandranagar-Pollachi Road flyover on the outskirts of Palakkad.
binand is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 19:52   #2015
BHPian

Malik - Disappointing stuff from Fahad who is clearly mis-cast and made to punch above his weight. He simply doesn't have the 'weight' to pull off a 'heavy' role.

Biriyani (malayalam, not tamil one) - Aside from the shocking scenes, a movie with very little sense or message.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 08:37   #2016
Distinguished - BHPian

Thittam Irandu - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-maxresdefault.jpg

Started off well, somehow reminded me of "Dhuruvangal 16", then it was sort of a downhill. It was like a mashup of other crime thrillers. It had few loopholes but the suspense do keep us engaged till the end (you keep guessing it though even before the end).

Anyhow, it's watchable.

Rating - 3/5
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 08:37   #2017
BHPian

Dev Bhoomi: 3.5/5
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5219770/

A Victor Banerjee movie. A movie about redemption, set in the Himalayas - a village near Kedarnath.
Great restrained acting, wonderfully told. The final parts were a bit contrived and a letdown.
Available on Prime.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 08:43   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Sarpatta - Tamil, Prime

A good watch. Brings to life the 70’s/80’s of Madras. The Anglo Indian English from ‘daddy’ character blends in. I loved it. But I guess it may not be to everyone’s liking.

I’ll rate it a 3.5/5

Vaazh, Tamil, SonyLIV

Best Avoided. Starts well and mid-way through, the makers got confused on how and what to make the film progress.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:55   #2019
Distinguished - BHPian

Chuzhal - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-_v1_.jpg

This movie caught my eye after reading the interesting synopsis - sort of a mystery/horror genre that I love. Some online publications gave a decent rating as well. But it was disappointing. It was the same old formula and nothing new. The ending was expected but leaves you scratching the head at the same time.

Available on Neestream.

Rating - 2/5
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:11   #2020
Distinguished - BHPian

Thittam Irandu - Tamil- Sony Liv: Not a bad watch. A semi thriller movie with a totally unexpected ending. The investigative portions are pretty much standard fare and decently done. I could not predict the end game at all. So that made it pretty good.

Rating: 3/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:48   #2021
Distinguished - BHPian

No reviews for the much hyped 9 episode anthology Navarasa on Netflix?

Totally disappointed. Expected a lot with the hype and the magnificent crew and cast behind it. 2-3 of them were kind of ok, rest of them I did not enjoy at all. Favorite was the Arvind Swamy directed Roudram. Most disappointing was Gautam Menon's Guitar Kambi Mele Nindru. Only the beautiful songs made it somewhat watchable.

Rating: 2/5 overall
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 19:31   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Totally disappointed.
After 3 episodes/themed shorts, I stopped. Thanks for the review. I will not continue further.
Old 10th August 2021, 05:20   #2023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Most disappointing was Gautam Menon's Guitar Kambi Mele Nindru. Only the beautiful songs made it somewhat watchable.
Totally agree! The one with Suriya was horrible. I mean, i do enjoy romance and music.. but this one was cringeworthy! Even the music felt average for me, i didn't end up downloading them on Spotify to listen to after the series.

On the whole, it was a decent effort, but nothing superlative.
2.5/5 from me, overall.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 23:56   #2024
Distinguished - BHPian

In a sea of movies from the south off late (mainly Malayalam), here I am recommending some movies in Marathi which I saw previously and are now available on streaming platforms. Was scrolling through Netflix and stumbled on a Marathi movie and hence the listings

Natrang starring Atul Kulkarni and Sonalee Kulkarni is one of the finest movies I have seen till date. A lifetime performance by Atul Kulkarni who deserves a standing ovation for the efforts he took to look the part. A story of a person who loves theatre and the lengths he can go for his dedication towards the same is the underlying theme of the movie. A superbly told story and very well directed one at that. Must watch.

Rating: 5/5

Ventilator starring Aashutosh Gowarikar and Jitendra Joshi along with a splendid marathi ensemble cast is a comedy-drama set in a hospital for most of the part. A relationship story which will tug at the heart strings. Superbly acted and beautifully directed along with fantastic dialogues. Recommended watch.

Rating: 4/5

I don’t know if the movies have been listed in this thread already or not. Both the above movies are available on Zee5.

And the movie which reminded me about all, Bucket List starring Madhuri Dixit and Sumit Raghavan playing on Netflix and is a decent one time watch. Story of a lady who has a heart transplant and what follows after the operation is basically the storyline. Crisp at two hours, a good one time watch.

Rating: 3/5

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 12th August 2021 at 00:07.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 09:27   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Kuruthi-2/5

While topic of interest is ok and some value based discussion along movie, I somehow could not connect things. While the movie is trying to be realistic, many instances don't seem anywhere close to reality. With such a strong cast, a lot better could have been done.

Most Viewed