Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2021, 19:04   #2026
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Kuruthi-Malayalam-Prime Yet another dark violent thriller from the Malayalam Industry. Basically a home invasion type movie with a foundation of a religious tussle and the issues that arise out of it. Liked it overall as a movie. Not adding any more comments as it would mean getting into details around the religious aspects in the movie.

Cast was mostly uniformly good. Did not expect Prithvi's role to be of the type it is in the movie.

Rating: 3.5/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 16:36   #2027
BHPian

Kuruthi

Malayalam - Amazon Prime

A pretty dark movie. But watched till the end to see what climax was in store. And not really disappointed with the way the story progressed. I felt Mamu koya stole the limelight to some extent. Some of his dialogues and mannerisms gave the thuglife look and feel to him.

Rating - 3.5/5

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:01   #2028
Senior - BHPian

[Netrikann - Tamil, Hotstar]

This is a Nayanthara starrer about a serial killer who kidnaps young women and a blind ex-CBI officer who's on the killer's trail. The movie is engrossing most of the time though I felt it is about 30-45 minutes too long - at one point I thought they'd show us a back story even for the protagonist's assistance dog. Plus there is a long list of logical inconsistencies (eg: at a crucial moment in the movie it appears that the roads, metro, malls etc. all have emptied themselves of humans completely) and also an unfavourable comparison with Wait Until Dark that are put-me-downs.

If you are a fan of Nayanthara - don't miss it. She absolutely nails the role of the blind officer.
Old 18th August 2021, 11:27   #2029
BHPian

Kuruthi made me realize how much of a bad actor Prithviraj is. Among the natural acting of the other characters, Prithvi's character stuck out like a sore thumb. Even the mediocre Shine Tom performed better than him.

About the movie, it tries a bit too hard not to take sides and as a result spoils what could have been a taut thriller. If it was meant solely to be a social commentary, which it should have been IMO, the final 30 mins showdown could have been avoided.

A mixed bag IMO.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 00:04   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Kaiyethum Doorathu (2002): My wife watched it when it was released 19 years ago. We are watching it now on TV (sorry I did not get time to watch it earlier). Movie is so bad that it is good. Watch it for Fahadh Fasil's stellar performance. You will appreciate Fahadh's acting in recent movies more after watching this first one.

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th August 2021 at 00:24.
Old 19th August 2021, 19:12   #2031
BHPian

New mallu movie on the block - #Home

Amazon prime

A feel good family movie. Very good acting by Indrans and rest of the cast. A common mans story with a twist towards the last. Some good comedy takes on the new gen stuff like youtube blogging, whatsapp calling, FB live , fake forwards etc... And a poke at our mobile addiction

Rating : 4/5

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 19th August 2021 at 19:17.
Old 20th August 2021, 07:31   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

#Home- A very nice feel good watch. A little too long and some unnecessary sub plots. Felt like the makers realized that they have something good and just wanted to go on and on.

Cast was all good, but Indrans was absolutely fantastic. For an actor who for most of his career was stuck in comic roles and more often than not was the subject of self deprecating humor to generate comedy, great to now see him get these solid roles that is bringing out the talent he has. The way he blends and represents the different shades of character was absolutely brilliant.

Rating: 4/5.
Old 22nd August 2021, 17:32   #2033
Senior - BHPian

#Home - Rating 3.5/5
As mentioned by others it is nice family movie. Indrans is excellent, Manju Pillai as mother looked bit out of place.
Old 22nd August 2021, 20:00   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The Great Indian Kitchen - Streaming on Amazon Prime is such a class act. Seldom has such a topic been discussed in Indian cinema with such clarity. Mundane things but so powerfully depicted in the movie. At one point of time through the movie, I was wondering how reality looks so awful on screen.
Watched this excellent movie. One needs to watch the movie to get what you mean by
Quote:
I was wondering how reality looks so awful on screen.
. But these days, I suppose most households have better table manners .
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:09   #2035
BHPian

#HOME: Nice, feel good movie. It felt like reflection of our family. Could easily relate to each members in the house. I was feeling guilty. Today my Dad unlocked a smart phone for first time in his life and dialed a number.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:54   #2036
BHPian

There seems to be a procession of pretty average movies being hyped sky high due to the "star" value in it.

"Kuruthi" is another time-waster. A pretty bland so-called thriller that doesn't have any thrills except being extremely verbose, almost akin to attending a religious sermon. Gosh, it was grating on the senses, and i was relieved when the movie/torture ended.

Pritviraj sadly is a prisoner of his "star"dom. Sad, for there lurks a wonderful actor beneath.

Avoid. Watch paint dry instead.

Last edited by WindRide : 23rd August 2021 at 16:55.
WindRide is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:01   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
"Kuruthi" is another time-waster.
Agree...I seldom see movies , especially Bollywood/Kollywood ones which is source of major strife in my home , but with the advent of OTT and the pandemic I did see some good Malayalam films and had some expectations from Kuruthi and it was a utter disaster and the only redeeming thing is the RX100 that's in the film ( I have a very sweet spot for RX100 as we used to own one). Not every dark/rubber plantation based movies need to be good
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:12   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Agree...I seldom see movies , especially Bollywood/Kollywood ones which is source of major strife in my home , but with the advent of OTT and the pandemic I did see some good Malayalam films and had some expectations from Kuruthi and it was a utter disaster and the only redeeming thing is the RX100 that's in the film ( I have a very sweet spot for RX100 as we used to own one). Not every dark/rubber plantation based movies need to be good
"kuruthi" is a disaster not because of script or skills - infact a few dialogues are meaningful and actors like Roshan Mathew and Shine Tom Chacko (wow, this guy NEVER fails to wow me... a true natural talent!!!) shine thru....

BUT... .the producer (the STAR's wife) had to go in and put lots of slow motion STAR sequences for her STAR husband and the STAR spoiled the broth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Kuruthi made me realize how much of a bad actor Prithviraj is
Prithviraj is definitely not a bad actor by any stretch of imagination. He can emote mind blowingly, if he is so inclined.

BUT.... He is simply a prisoner of his own stardom. An affliction that took down greats like Lal and Mammooty before him.

Mallu-wood is afflicted with sycophancy and insane star worshipping these days... unlike the 80s when the script was the true star and actors were only secondary.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd August 2021 at 19:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged
WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 13:03   #2039
Distinguished - BHPian

#Home (Malayalam)

Watched it yesterday evening and loved it. The art of telling stories is something that Malayalam movies have mastered since long ago and this is another example.

I felt like it is a nice take on the differences in different generations and how one generation struggles to understand the problems of the other generation. Finally both generations learn to understand and respect each other.

Probably the movie could've been a tad shorter- Lot of sub plots have made the movie longer, but I felt it all added to the story in one way or the other. Apart from the movie itself, I loved the house shown in the movie-such a beautifully designed building!

The best thing about this movie is how we can easily relate it to one of us in our homes.

A nicely made movie - 4/5
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 13:20   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Prithviraj is definitely not a bad actor by any stretch of imagination. He can emote mind blowingly, if he is so inclined.
The problem here is that among the other characters with their natural performances, Prithviraj tries to act - and it shows.

Watched #Home during the weekend and wasn't too impressed, it was a tad too long. Indrans was too good in his role. As was Manju Pillai and the guy who played the younger brother.

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th August 2021 at 13:27. Reason: Spoiler elements removed, thank you!

Most Viewed