Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 00:45   #2056
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Aamis- A brilliant Assamese movie which was not available online before, is now streaming on SonyLiV. Pathbreaking for its treatment and having won many awards, it’s a must watch. That the movie is produced by Anurag Kashyap is another added incentive to watch the movie. Highly recommended.
Old 2nd October 2021, 10:31   #2057
Senior - BHPian

[Guardian - Malayalam, Prime Reels]

A happily married couple's domestic bliss is disrupted when a blackmailer arrives with explicit photos and videos of the wife's past affair with a local businessman. The wife chooses to pay up, but the husband - who finds out about all this - decides to solve the problem differently. Cops get involved when business associates of the boyfriend informs them that he's been missing for a while.

Saiju Kurup as the husband impressed. Rest is all just average/mediocre. The lead investigator (Sijoy Varghese) really got on my nerves with his constant commentary about the investigation. The Dhrishyam-esque second half was very predictable so there wasn't any suspense element in the movie either. Some of the loose ends were jarring.

Can be a one-time watch just for the planning that Saiju's character does.
Old 2nd October 2021, 13:27   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I am surprised nobody here has spoken about Aamis. An assamese love story that is really and literally more than skin deep. Taken beautifully as well. Must watch for anyone who is a Cinephile or a Gastrophile or both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Aamis- A brilliant Assamese movie which was not available online before, is now streaming on SonyLiV. Pathbreaking for its treatment and having won many awards, it’s a must watch. That the movie is produced by Anurag Kashyap is another added incentive to watch the movie. Highly recommended.
This movie was already reviewed here I lost my apetite after watching it. Well made maybe, but definitely not my cup of tea
Old 3rd October 2021, 13:17   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Can be a one-time watch just for the planning that Saiju's character does.
Does this movie come with subtitles?
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:44   #2060
BHPian

Kaanekkaane Malayalam - Sony LIV

Mediocre movie. Suraj has performed really well. Tovino's beard is majestic, nothing about his performance is. Story line is also quite below par, did not appeal to me ethically.

Rating - 2.5/5
Old 9th October 2021, 08:46   #2061
Distinguished - BHPian

Bhramam - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-ad_.jpg

For me, remakes never work and they proved it here as well. Sort of spoiled the original which was really good.

In this, everyone was pathetic (except for Prithviraj, maybe?).Be Mamta, Unni Mukundan, Rashi (Oh god, she was really bad with her lip sync and couldn't hide her smile when she hits Prithviraj in the first scene). The movie was long too. One thing I noticed is that they chose one of the most picturesque locations in Kochi but failed to capture it on screen.

If you have watched the original, then better skip this.

Rating - 1.5/5
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:31   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Bhramam - Malayalam
Sort of spoiled the original which was really good.
Rating - 1.5/5
OMG! what a waste of time and effort. Just a copy/paste movie of Andhadhun.

Kindly ignore
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 11:47   #2063
Senior - BHPian

[Bhramam - Malayalam, Amazon Prime]

As a dark comedy movie, this one's premise was interesting - a man pretending to be blind witnesses the commissioning of a crime. By the time he decides to tell the world what he had seen, he is really blinded by one of the perpetrators.

I have not seen the original (as a rule I avoid Hindi movies) so can't compare the two. This one I felt had three issues: 1, that it is too long by about 30 minutes; 2, that it does not offer closures to many of the characters; and 3, the whole organ harvesting track is over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does this movie come with subtitles?
No idea. I saw it as an in-flight move, and then looked up where it is streaming just for posting here.
Old 10th October 2021, 14:32   #2064
Distinguished - BHPian

Bhramam- The hindi original is one of my favourite hindi movies and should be the case with a lot of people. Against that standard Bhramam was average for me. Tons of Malayalam movies get remade in Hindi and normally the Malayalam version is restrained and underplayed and the remake goes over the top. Here it is the other way. The hindi version was delightfully restrained and the cast and acting top notch. Especially Tabu who is a fantastic actor and carries the film along with Aayushman Khurana.

Here Prithvi was good( although Prithvi the star came out in many scenes) but rest of the roles felt miscast and over the top acting across the board which was contrary to the hindi version.

Having said that, the core story is a great one and everyone attempting to double cross each other is fun to watch. So if you have not watched the hindi version it is pretty enjoyable, else definitely below the original.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 21:14   #2065
BHPian

Ikkat - Kannada comedy on Prime

The movie was released on Prime a few months back but managed to watch it only now.

Excellent movie and outstanding acting by Bhoomi Shetty, Nagabhushana and Sundar.

Rating : 4/5
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 22:51   #2066
BHPian

Watched Republic (Telugu ) on screen!

My Rating : 9/10
Genre : political thriller - drama

Got hooked to the plot after a long time.
---------
The plot is about the conflict between a man who wants his society to be ideal and the Society that he fights for and the system that runs it.
Dev Katta , the director, who has a history of writing gripping contemporary social dramas with political themes, did absolutely fantastic job in imbibing a contemporary political narrative to this story.
Even though there are many movies on this same story line, the way the director manages to run the script was quite compelling and with almost perfect consistency without adding the unnecessary and illogical cinematic theatrics like over the top heroism or inconsequential songs that dilute the story telling. The story along with many of the dialogues are incredibly hard hitting and quite successful in making the audience question themselves.

Ramya Krishna was as usually brilliant in playing the elegant baddie while Sai Dharma Tej did a good job as the conflicted protagonist. Aishwarya Rajesh was a great casting choice and so are the other actors. 2 aspects that I liked most in this film - Many of the primary characters involved in the movie are grey and seemingly very relatable unlike the regular movies & the climax was incredibly realistic, uncinematic and didn't lose logical consistency.

I appeal to the members to please watch the movie and I will conclude this by saying "Most of the movies need audience, but this movie is needed for the audience "

Last edited by poised2drive : 12th October 2021 at 22:52.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:39   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
The lead investigator (Sijoy Varghese) really got on my nerves with his constant commentary about the investigation.
Indeed! If they intended those scenes as a mockery of mansplaining, then they failed in revealing that intention. The young woman IPS officer is shown to be listening earnestly to the mundane commentary trotted out as pearls of wisdom by her patronising senior.
motorsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 14:17   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Watched Republic (Telugu ) on screen!

My Rating : 9/10
Genre : political thriller - drama

Got hooked to the plot after a long time.
---------
Thanks for the review, I absolutely loved Dev Katta's Prasthanam (Telugu) and wanted to watch this movie, but one of my colleagues told me this wasn't executed well and is quite boring to watch at times. I guess he is not a fan of this genre!
Old 14th October 2021, 19:26   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Bhramam - Malayalam

If you have watched the original, then better skip this.

Rating - 1.5/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
OMG! what a waste of time and effort. Just a copy/paste movie of Andhadhun.

Kindly ignore
Quote:

As a dark comedy movie, this one's premise was interesting - a man pretending to be blind witnesses the commissioning of a crime. By the time he decides to tell the world what he had seen, he is really blinded by one of the perpetrators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Bhramam- The hindi original is one of my favourite hindi movies and should be the case with a lot of people. Against that standard Bhramam was average for me. .
Bhramam - Malayalam, Amazon Prime

As someone who hasn't watched the original hindi version, it was a one time timepass watch! Plot is nowhere near solid, but has been executed quite alright. If you are a fan of Prithviraj, it is definitely better than his last 2 movies.

Rating - 3/5

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th October 2021 at 19:54. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 15th October 2021, 21:21   #2070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this perspective on Bhramam today:

https://twitter.com/mtonykurian/stat...94493261017091

(Need to read the full thread - dozen+ tweets).

Something I really didn't think about while watching the movie or afterwards.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks