Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 01:14   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Just to reiterate:

We cannot afford to have 25 movie threads discussing movies in various languages. English and hindi movies have enough volume to warrant separate threads. This thread remains as the place to discuss all regional language thread.

Request your understanding.

Thank You.
Eddy,
Beg to differ with you on this, & No offense meant
South India (all four languages) produces more movies than all English & Rest of India combined (probably rest of the world), Andhra itself produces more movies than any other language/state in India.
It is a accepted fact that South Indian movies dominate, in numbers, content, revenue, quality, awards etc..,
You said "We cannot afford to have 25 movie threads discussing movies in various languages."
Frankly I dont see the reason as to why not.
When we can have threads like "The Electronic / House Music Thread", "Low Voltage Woes in Coorg ", "Which Perfume / Cologne do you use?", " Dogs sunbathing on car roof ", why can't we have a tamil movie thread or a bengali movie thread ? your statement surely baffles me..,
Once again NO offense meant.
Old 20th March 2010, 09:59   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Eddy,
Beg to differ with you on this, & No offense meant
South India (all four languages) produces more movies than all English & Rest of India combined (probably rest of the world), Andhra itself produces more movies than any other language/state in India.
It is a accepted fact that South Indian movies dominate, in numbers, content, revenue, quality, awards etc..,
You said "We cannot afford to have 25 movie threads discussing movies in various languages."
Frankly I dont see the reason as to why not.
This is not really up for discussion. Please don't turn this into north vs south issue. I am from south and I fully understand why this is a bad idea.

There are basically two problems with this.

1) Language based threads are exclusionary. If somebody discusses a specific regional language movie, it excludes most members from participating. The only exception being English (which all members understand) and Hindi (which most members understand). Also, we don't let members to make long Hindi sentences without providing translation. Same goes for any non-English language. In general, we discourage any kind of thread that stops most members from participating. You may have noticed that we don't allow car brand specific threads, in spite of being an auto forum. Otherwise we would be run over by Ritz club thread, Punto club thread, Spark club thread, etc., which are again exclusionary. Only age old brand specific threads are allowed to continue since they have been around too long before the rules were made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
When we can have threads like "The Electronic / House Music Thread", "Low Voltage Woes in Coorg ", "Which Perfume / Cologne do you use?", " Dogs sunbathing on car roof ", why can't we have a tamil movie thread or a bengali movie thread ? your statement surely baffles me..,
Once again NO offense meant.
2)The perfume thread is fine as long as it is generic. The day somebody starts "Channel 5 perfume users thread" or "Calvin Klein perfume users thread", we will step in and merge it into generic thread. Again, if somebody starts "Cats sunbathing on the car roof" or "Goats sunbathing on the car roof", we will step in and merge everything under "Animals sunbathing on the car roof". Yes, we will get some heat from dog lovers for that, but we can't have sunbathing on the car thread for every animal on earth.

We try to keep the topics under Shifting Gears unique. After all, this section is not what this forum is all about. We really don't want exclusionary threads, and we don't want threads for every brand/language/district/state. If you have noticed, even meet threads are not allowed to be exclusionary. We don't allow brand specific meets. But we allow location specific meets since anybody can attend. I have attended Delhi/Mumbai/Chennai/Cochin/Bangalore meets despite not being from these places.

Finally you have to understand that every decision in Team-BHP is hotly debated for hours and days between moderators who are from varied regions, languages, life experience, political views and religion. We hardly overlook a viewpoint before the decision is made.
Old 20th March 2010, 12:30   #198
BHPian

Hi Samurai:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is not really up for discussion. Please don't turn this into north vs south issue. I am from south and I fully understand why this is a bad idea.
GSMINC's comment did not sound like a north-south divide. What he says is that Telugu movies and other south movies does have large audience and they too deserve a separate thread like Hindi,English movie thread.

Quote:

There are basically two problems with this.

1) Language based threads are exclusionary. If somebody discusses a specific regional language movie, it excludes most members from participating. The only exception being English (which all members understand) and Hindi (which most members understand). Also, we don't let members to make long Hindi sentences without providing translation. Same goes for any non-English language.

I guess 50% of members here dont understand Hindi.And there are "Good" number of followers for the regional movies. I agree that this is not a movie forum to have separate thread for each language. Shall we have a single thread - "Indian Movie thread" instead?

Quote:

2)The perfume thread is fine as long as it is generic. The day somebody starts "Channel 5 perfume users thread" or "Calvin Klein perfume users thread", we will step in and merge it into generic thread. Again, if somebody starts "Cats sunbathing on the car roof" or "Goats sunbathing on the car roof", we will step in and merge everything under "Animals sunbathing on the car roof". Yes, we will get some heat from dog lovers for that, but we can't have sunbathing on the car thread for every animal on earth.

We try to keep the topics under Shifting Gears unique. After all, this section is not what this forum is all about. We really don't want exclusionary threads, and we don't want threads for every brand/language/district/state. If you have noticed, even meet threads are not allowed to be exclusionary. We don't allow brand specific meets. But we allow location specific meets since anybody can attend. I have attended Delhi/Mumbai/Chennai/Cochin/Bangalore meets despite not being from these places.

Finally you have to understand that every decision in Team-BHP is hotly debated for hours and days between moderators who are from varied regions, languages, life experience, political views and religion. We hardly overlook a viewpoint before the decision is made.
Shall we club the below group of threads into single generic ones?

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad
A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai
A Guide: Eating out in Pune
A Guide : Eating out in Goa
A guide : Eating out in Kerala
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Looking for a Gym in noida
Best place to party in Bangalore this New Year

Kerala Guys ,where in kerala are you residing?
Hyderabad Guys: Which area in Hyderabad do you stay?
Old 20th March 2010, 13:49   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
GSMINC's comment did not sound like a north-south divide. What he says is that Telugu movies and other south movies does have large audience and they too deserve a separate thread like Hindi,English movie thread.
You still don't understand the issue. Most people do not understand a given regional language. That excludes them.

Quote:
I guess 50% of members here dont understand Hindi.
Well, you are guessing wrong. I can neither write/read Hindi, but I can understand Hindi well. But I can barely understand Telugu/Tamil/Malayalam. That is why individual regional language based threads are exclusionary.

Quote:
Shall we have a single thread - "Indian Movie thread" instead?
No, we have decided to have 3 instead. We made a rational decision instead of an emotional one.

Again, this is clear misunderstanding of the issues involved. Eating places in various cities is helpful to everybody. If I want to visit Chennai, I will look into the Chennai thread to check out the eating places.

It is clear you are arguing emotionally without understanding the issues. Therefore, this discussion will lead to nowhere.

The support team decision is final and binding on this matter. Kindly do not drag this anymore.
Old 20th March 2010, 14:48   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC
+100 to this! Hell yeah!
Old 20th March 2010, 15:40   #201
BHPian

I am a jat from haryana, brought up in mumbai, studied in kerala and mumbai, worked in delhi, and now roaming across the country because of my job. i looged onto this thread to get the names of some good movies, thought of reading backwards form the last post to get the names of new releases.

Instead I found something that happens across the country! why can we not let go of the feeling where we love our own state but also dislike every other. i remember the scene in chak de india! where the hockey coach asks everybody what team they are to play for and only one says INDIA.

why cant we ignore the thread if we dont like it. south indian film industry has given us some remarkable films and music (chemmen, AR Rehman). of course i doesnt mean other languages are lacking..bengal produces some of the most thought provoking movies about relations. marathi film industry has given films like SHWAAS.

hope i make my point!! This is a great country but its made of some really great small states.
Old 20th March 2010, 16:00   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post

Instead I found something that happens across the country! why can we not let go of the feeling where we love our own state but also dislike every other. i remember the scene in chak de india! where the hockey coach asks everybody what team they are to play for and only one says INDIA.

why cant we ignore the thread if we dont like it. south indian film industry has given us some remarkable films and music (chemmen, AR Rehman). of course i doesnt mean other languages are lacking..bengal produces some of the most thought provoking movies about relations. marathi film industry has given films like SHWAAS.

hope i make my point!! This is a great country but its made of some really great small states.
Hi SX4LOVER: If you read the last couple of pages, you can find that no one had argued that a particular language movies are better than others. Where is the dislike for a particular language movie that you found in this thread?

The contention is on merging few of the existing threads into one single regional movies thread and thereby making this combined thread useless.
Old 20th March 2010, 16:36   #203
Team-BHP Support

Joshdrive and nitrous anna,

I can't put it simpler than this - the decision to club the regional languages thread into one is purely because an individual regional language thread would exclude most members from relating to that thread. It is not discrimination against any particular region / culture / language. Just a thought out decision that the mod team thinks is the best way to organize content on team-bhp.

Can we agree to disagree on this one and move on ?
Old 20th March 2010, 17:01   #204
BHPian

point taken. i just put my thoughts down. lets move on.
Old 20th March 2010, 20:23   #205
Senior - BHPian

its funny
when new members will scroll through the list and be shocked to see only malu movies in the first 12-13 pages .
Old 21st March 2010, 01:21   #206
BHPian

Quote:
You still don't understand the issue.
Therefore, this discussion will lead to nowhere.
The support team decision is final and binding on this matter. Kindly do not drag this anymore.
Well, Your words "support team decision" & "decision final & binding" are surely contradictory.
As for your North-South divide: My dear friend, your assumptions/perceptions are dangerous in today's world.
I'm sure you would agree that I did not imply that.
I am sure that other fellow team-bhp members are able to differentiate the wheat from the shaff.
I have hand it over to joshdrive & nitrous, even I couldn't have said it better.
Ultimately, after reading your & eddy's reply, I still dont see why we could not have a seperate thread for any movie thread, start one, if it doesn't click then merge it with some other similar thread, what's the big deal, it's not as if we are going to cut trees or use perishable/non-renewable precious natural resources to creat a thread.
SUPPORT TEAM: C'MON GUYS, IT'S JUST A THREAD AFTER ALL,NOT A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH
I have made my point clear & I shall rest my case.
Hope better sense prevails in this case.
regards

Last edited by GSMINC : 21st March 2010 at 01:34.
Old 21st March 2010, 06:30   #207

Vihir (The well) - A Marathi film released with English subtitles a couple of days back. Director : Umesh Kulkarni, Producer: Amitabh Bacchan.

Must watch! Cinematography is simply brilliant. It may look slow to people who are not into sensitive movies. Looks like in last 5 years Marathi film industry has improved quality and content of movies after a series of average comic flicks. Old days of "Jait re Jait" are back. Its always nice to watch class performances in Bengali and Marathi theater plays and films.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:41   #208
BANNED

For all the tamil movies fans, check these:

Geetham - Tamil Discussion Forum

Tamil Forum : Tamil Movie Mp3 News

And this one is for tamil songs only: Tamil Film Music Page - Songs and Music of the Tamil Movie World

This is an automotive site, with valid clarifications given for the Hindi and English Threads.

Last edited by Spitfire : 21st March 2010 at 10:53.
Old 21st March 2010, 11:17   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

And this one is for tamil songs only: Tamil Film Music Page - Songs and Music of the Tamil Movie World

This is an automotive site, with valid clarifications given for the Hindi and English Threads.
thanks spitfire

And for all malayalam movie fans here is your site

Snehasallapam - Powered by vBulletin

From now on no need to bother the mods for opening a new thread for Malayalam movies..
Old 21st March 2010, 11:48   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

And there are many other forums/sites for Hindi and English movies/music as well. What is your point?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks