Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 20:19   #2941
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Strangely enough, people are deriving marketing lessons from a Regional movie on Linkedin.
And for the first time ever in FRONTLINE magazine history, a movie makes it to the cover story
https://frontline.thehindu.com/arts-...le66124396.ece

The Regional movies thread!-fl2cover.jpg

Note that it calls Kantara an "ordinary film" - so it is not the usual analysis/praises that you see in mainstream media. Lots of big words used in the article, so a dictionary will come in handy.

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th November 2022 at 20:31.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 21:15   #2942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Note that it calls Kantara an "ordinary film" - so it is not the usual analysis/praises that you see in mainstream media. Lots of big words used in the article, so a dictionary will come in handy.
Just a typical 'The Hindu' article.

Taking an intellectual high ground and trying to explain something by a labyrinth of big words thrown here and there.
DicKy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 22:14   #2943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I posted my comments in the Kola thread instead of hijacking the regional movie thread with long details.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 10:36   #2944
Distinguished - BHPian

Kumari - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-vymjkxnzq1ndi._v1_.jpg

I somehow didn't like it much. The cinematography was good and also the location. But other than that, it was strictly average. It could have been kept a lot shorter as I slept off the last 15-20 mins .

Rating -2/5 (Available on Netflix)

Wonder woman - Malayalam but with English audio

The Regional movies thread!-maxresdefault.jpg

Strictly average/below average and more of a female oriented movie/subject. Somehow felt the characters didn't connect well and some of them were sort of over acting. Definitely not comparable to Anjali Menon's previous movies.

Rating - 2/5 (Available on SonyLiv)

Sardar - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-ux1000_.jpg

I was waiting for the usual masala movie from Karthi but was proven wrong. It was actually a decent watch. Wish it had Suriya or Vikram which would have made it much more interesting.
A bit too long though and keep your finger on the skip button frequently - Too many songs as well. Also Chunky Pandey felt way too artificial and wish they would find someone to dub the villain characters (All the recent movies have the same guy dubbing).

Rating - 3.5/5 (Available on Aha)
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 11:47   #2945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Love Today (2022) - Tamil - In Cinemas

3.5/5 - First half is wonderful, there's lag in the second half.

Disclaimer: Do not go as a couple
I would give it 4/5.

Watch this guy Pradeep Ranganathan, who is the hero, writer, director and lyricist of the movie. He definitely deserves an award for making such an awesome movie. What a young talent. The making of the movie certainly deserves an applause. Great acting by heroine too. Talks about trust in relationship and with very relevant scripts. Nicely made with lot of humour.

On the disclaimer part, I would prefer the other way around, that do watch as couple.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 21st November 2022 at 11:49.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:03   #2946
Distinguished - BHPian

Kumari-Malayalam-Netflix

An 'almost good' movie. Got a lot of things right. A good central fantasy-horror theme, Fantastic locations, camera-work, time period, songs and background score and some good performances especially by Aishwarya Lekshmi. Somethings went totally wrong- Shine Toms acting and dialog delivery, an inconsistent screenplay that kind of fizzles out in several sections with a lot of hurried sequences and not enough backstory.

Overall not a bad watch though but had enough in it to be much better. Produced by Prithviraj. I think if he had directed it, would have come out much better.

Wonder Women-Anjali Menon- English-Sony Liv

A regional English movie. A short movie centered around a group of pregnant women who meet up for a 2 week session.

Honestly did not get the point of it. No character stood out, nothing explored in depth, almost a docu-style film. Being very short, it is a quick easy watch.

Disappointment was became it came from Anjali Menon- who beautifully explores and presents relationships. Whether Manjadikkuru, Bangalore Days, Ustad Hotel or Koode.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 14:52   #2947
Team-BHP Support

The Regional movies thread!-8a760450d355423d97e478e741d49482.jpeg

Caught this in the theatre last weekend in Tamil. Was dubbed quite well. They kept some crucial parts spoken by the Bhoota Kola performer in Kannada with English subs. Enough has been said about the movie in this thread so nothing much to add. Loved it.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:02   #2948
Distinguished - BHPian

Kantara is now on Amazon prime from today. The "Varaha roopam" song has been modified in the OTT. It's a much mellowed down version and much of the rock music elements are gone now. This OTT version is not bad but the song which was part of theatre screenings was stong and evoked stronger emotions in the audience I felt. Good that I watched in theatres too. Nevertheless it is still a wonderful movie and people who missed it in theaters should watch this now.
hemanth.anand is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:54   #2949
Team-BHP Support

Kumari (Malayalam) - Netflix

Name:  kumari_poster03.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  113.0 KB

As someone who's not really into folklore and horror, this one did enough to keep me engaged, well.. mostly. I really liked how they set the tone for the story, the buildup and then how we got to current times. From there, imho the movie lost its way. Somehow, the ending felt rushed, and certain characters weren't even explored.

Songs were good, cinematography was really good however the movie dragged towards the end. Aishwarya was good but Shine Tom's dialogue delivery was horrid - If not for the subtitles, i doubt i would have followed what he was saying.

Rating : 2.5/5
benbsb29 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 16:02   #2950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Kantara is now on Amazon prime from today. The "Varaha roopam" song has been modified in the OTT. It's a much mellowed down version and much of the rock music elements are gone now. This OTT version is not bad but the song which was part of theatre screenings was stong and evoked stronger emotions in the audience I felt. Good that I watched in theatres too. Nevertheless it is still a wonderful movie and people who missed it in theaters should watch this now.
I watched it on Prime today and frankly I wasn't much impressed by the movie apart from the folklore histronics. The mellowed down Varaha roopam song added to the dismay. I couldn't understand some of the dialogues either as it was too North Kanara type or the Kannada Tulu mixed dialect. I felt the encroachment subject was nicely hidden behind the religious beliefs but never the less the movie is one time dekho only.

Rating: 2.5/5 (rating only for the hype and continuous update on social media about the earnings of the film vs meagre cost)
ghodlur is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 16:48   #2951
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The "Varaha roopam" song has been modified in the OTT. It's a much mellowed down version and much of the rock music elements are gone now.
The totally watered down Varaha Roopam is not worth listening to. This is like software patenting. Just because someone had similar sounding but virtually unknown song made many year ago, an amazing superhit song has been destroyed, literally.

Descendants of Purandara Dasa might be getting some ideas now.

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/reg...099-2022-11-24

Last edited by Samurai : 24th November 2022 at 16:50.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 17:26   #2952
BHPian

Hope they decide something on the case quickly. Is it just getting a stay and watching the result ?
Old 24th November 2022, 19:17   #2953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just because someone had similar sounding but virtually unknown song made many year ago, an amazing superhit song has been destroyed, literally.
Perhaps, this is what the Kantara song would've sounded like originally if it was not "inspired" from Navarasam.

The Navarasam song was not unknown to at least the makers since they have acknowledged being "inspired" by it. Question is where inspiration ends and plagiarism begins.

It would have been better if the "inspiration" was acknowledged officially by providing credits to the band in the titles and keeping the initial version of the song. Win-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Hope they decide something on the case quickly. Is it just getting a stay and watching the result ?
The makers challenged the stay/ban in the high court, but were not successful.
StarrySky is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 19:37   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Kerala High Court has dismissed petitions challenging the lower court rulings:

https://www.barandbench.com/news/ker...rahroopam-song
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 21:09   #2955
BHPian

Quote:
The totally watered down Varaha Roopam is not worth listening to. This is like software patenting. Just because someone had similar sounding but virtually unknown song made many year ago, an amazing superhit song has been destroyed, literally. :Shockked
From the "Plagiarism in Autocar India?" thread.

QUOTE "But some people think they can gain more credit by hiding their sources, it backfires badly if discovered"
Unquote.

But why this double standard sir?

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 24th November 2022 at 21:35.
rajivr1612 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks