Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2023, 09:29   #3076
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Mukundan Unni Associates - Malayalam

Attachment 2407225

Enter the age of dark comedy. This movie makes no attempts to give the impression of life being one of fairy tale endings. Human beings are mostly grey. For the determined, success is the only thing that matters, leaving no stone unturned to get there.

Vineeth Sreenivasan as the main protagonist truly brought out the thoughts people harbor in their heads, but don't speak out. Great performances from Sooraj and the others as well, all doing their part.

At times the movie shifts onto distressing topics, but there is a reality about them. Some situations do go overboard, but to me it focusses on the main topic ie how various people in positions allude to loot and line each other's pockets.

I really enjoyed this one, although it may not be to everyone's liking.

Rating : 4/5
Being grey is fine, but overall ending of the movie conveys the wrong message.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th January 2023 at 10:50. Reason: Edited post to remove spoiler. Thanks for understanding.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 11:13   #3077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
I agree with what you've mentioned. Definitely not the right message to preach, but as we know the world isn't the happy place we would like it to be.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 11:19   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys who're subscribed to Manorama Max, do you see an option to resume the content from where you left off?

I am using a FireTV stick and got a subscription to Manorama Max recently. But this has a big pain now! And fast forwarding is not very intuitive unlike Prime Video or Netflix.
I normally use the browser to play content and it resumes from where I left off.

After the above quote, I tried it on my VU TV, here also the content resumed from where it was left off. No issues as such.

May be an issue related to the fire stick, does it have any updates?
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 10:29   #3079
Senior - BHPian

Pisasu (Tamil, 2014)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4290746/

"A violinist experiences paranormal experience in his flat after a death of a girl who he tries to save due to accident. Later he realises that actually the spirit is helping him and he tries to find out who killed the girl by accident."

Somehow this ended up in my watchlist and decided to watch it over the weekend. Had no expectations so it was pretty ok even though the acting by the lead actor was bad and the whole movie seemed like a poorly enacted TV drama.

2.5/5

Stay far away from this one.
Old 23rd January 2023, 10:43   #3080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any number of movies do (remember Drishyam?); personally I don't have a problem with this. In fact I believe this approach makes movies a lot more realistic than the usual comeuppance endings.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 16:12   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Any number of movies do (remember Drishyam?); personally I don't have a problem with this. In fact I believe this approach makes movies a lot more realistic than the usual comeuppance endings.
without giving out any spoilers, comparison with Drishyam may not be accurate. If you have watched both movies, you will realise intention of protagonists are diametrically opposites. Safe to say, while i might enact a Drishyam in real life to protect my dear ones, I will never ever do the 'evil vakil' act. The messaging was all wrong.

Ofcourse, you are entitled to your opinion. I simply expressed mine. Peace.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 19:22   #3082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with what you've mentioned. Definitely not the right message to preach, but as we know the world isn't the happy place we would like it to be.
I really liked this movie - "Mukundan Unni Associates". I do like movies that carry a good message. But sometimes we need to judge a movie purely as a movie that tells a story and nothing more. Not every story may have a good ending. Even this movie does carry a message (as I understood) - there are people like Mukundan Unni around us all the time. People who will do anything to get what they want and will make use of others as objects for their benefit. So we just cannot trust anyone blindly.
pjbiju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 13:18   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Vaalvi (Marathi वाळवी ) : 5/5
Watched over the weekend. A dark comedy that is a total entertainer. Directed by Paresh Mokashi - an ace Director well known for his earlier films Harishchandrachi Factory (2009) and Elizabeth Ekadashi (2014) has assembled a wonderful cast that keeps you rivetted to the seats. Acting by all cast is right on spot. Running time of 1h 46m that's devoid of any song and dance is a must watch !
Couldn't agree more. It's really an outstanding movie. The plot, cast, story, direction, dialogues, acting are brilliant. Audience including myself were clapping after certain dialogues, few scenes.
I am sure this movie will be remade in other languages.

Sad part is such a brilliant movie will not reach many due to the lack of marketing and as usual less shows due to Pathaan
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 01:36   #3084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mukundan Unni Associates - Malayalam

Attachment 2407225

Enter the age of dark comedy. This movie makes no attempts to give the impression of life being one of fairy tale endings. Human beings are mostly grey. For the determined, success is the only thing that matters, leaving no stone unturned to get there.

Rating : 4/5
+1 to your review and rating.

Overall the movie felt like a comic version of the 2014 movie Nightcrawler. Most of us won't appreciate the ending of either of the movies but then, we must remember these are movies, fictional stories for entertainment. Anyone who loved Nightcrawler, should like this one too.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 08:08   #3085
Distinguished - BHPian

Unni Mukundan Associates - Malayalam

Agree with what others pointed out. It was a good watch. The story narration somehow reminded me of the popular game "Max Payne".

Rating - 4/5

Aanandam Paramanandam - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-1000_.jpg

It had a decent storyline (well, not new but what we have seen in many malayalam movies) but I felt the casting was pretty bad. Except for Indrans and Aju, everyone was bad. Especially the female lead. She had no expression.

Rating - 2.5/5 (Manorama Max)

Ennalum Ente Aliya - Malayalam

The Regional movies thread!-mjpg_ux1000_.jpg

The first 10-15 mins gives the impression that the movie will be snooze fest but then enters Siddique and Lena that transforms the movie. One of their best comic performances. Suraj was wasted I should say (pretty ordinary performance).

Rating - 2.5/5 (Amazon Prime)

Watch it only for Siddique's and Lena's performance.

Sembi - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-v1_fmjpg_ux1000_.jpg

Ah, the usual discussion of a sensitive topic and it's consequences that we have seen in many movies. Saw the movie when I noticed the rating and good comments but I felt it was just like any other movie dealing with this subject. Kovai Sarala acted pretty well but the little kid was really good. Some bits reminded me of "Gavi" (Malayalam movie) and "Yathra" (Mammootty Starrer).

Rating - 2/5 (Disney Hotstar)

Next in line are some highly trolled movies - Saturday nights, Varisu, Thunivu
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 20:41   #3086
BHPian

Thunivu- Not even sure how many stars should I give this one. Only watched it as didn't have anything else to kill time on a flight. Guess the makers thought they will get away using 'Heist' formula. The vfx was pathetic, you can easily make that out. Too much of masala. Personally didn't like anything in the movie. I like the actor Ajith, however that too didn't work out for me.
VNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 22:10   #3087
BHPian

Spadikam - Malayalam - Theatre re-release : 5/5
The Regional movies thread!-img_0919.jpg
Certain movies can't be remade to its glory. It holds true for Spadikam, one of the best "Mass" entertainer of Malayalam cinema. Spadikam was first released in 1995. My dad took me to watch this movie to a near by theatre in his Raleigh bicycle. As a seven year old kid, I enjoyed the movie. Lots of goosebump moments. No wonder I became Mohanlal fan.

The digital remastered version of the movie got rereleased today. Whoever worked on its Dolby Atmos mixing has done excellent job. Nowhere it felt artificial. I'm sure, whoever was there in the theatre enjoyed the movie and they did made lots of noise. It certainly invoked lots of nostalgia even after watching it for nth time. The performances of the actors in the movie made me realize the class of the actors and what we are missing nowadays. Thilakan, Rajan P Dev, Karamana, KPSC Lalitha, just to name a few. If you are a Spadikam fan, go and watch it. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by K_Drive : 9th February 2023 at 22:34.
K_Drive is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 09:55   #3088
BHPian

Ennalum Ente Aliya - Malayalam (Hotstar): Time pass

It's kind of a short film stretched into a full movie. There are no laugh out moments, but in many scenes you'd have a smile pasted on your face - and that is good enough for me.

The revelation of this movie is Lena - the poor woman had been typecast to certain roles so far. And for a seasoned actor like Siddique the role is actually a cakewalk. While Suraj does not have anything substantial to do here, he should be applauded for keeping his character low even while Lena and Siddique were doing their comic act to perfection.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 11:35   #3089
Team-BHP Support

Weekend watch:

Ennalum Nteliyaa – Malayalam (Prime) – 2.5/5
Maybe because of the low expectations, this was a quite a watchable movie.

Mahaveeryar – Malayalam (SunNxt) – 3/5
This was a massive flop when released in the cinema, but since it is directed by Abrid Shine, gave it a try and actually liked the movie – a courtroom drama with a very different type of drama

Thuniv – Tamil (Netflix) – 0.5/5
Absolutely no words – Best to avoid.
Old 13th February 2023, 12:17   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNair View Post
Thunivu- Not even sure how many stars should I give this one. Only watched it as didn't have anything else to kill time on a flight. Guess the makers thought they will get away using 'Heist' formula. The vfx was pathetic, you can easily make that out. Too much of masala. Personally didn't like anything in the movie. I like the actor Ajith, however that too didn't work out for me.
The hype created about the movie went down without a fizz. This movie is a big slap on the face of the Indian Police, the NSGs etc as they are shown in a truly poor light. Ajith is super wasted and so is Manju Warrier. An attempt to show the Financial scams in a comical way was way too much to digest. Avoid at all costs.

Rating: 0.5/5.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks