Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2023, 12:33   #3091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Romancham[Goosebumps]-Malayalam-Theater

Saw a lot of reviews giving it 4 and 5 stars and seems to heading towards being a blockbuster. Happened to be close to a mall where there was a show starting in 30 min and no specific other plans, so decided to watch it.

Mostly a bunch of new comers with Soubin and Arjun Ashokan the only known names. A horror comedy as per the director based on some real life incidents. Bunch of guys staying in a house in 'some part of Bangalore'. Story is based in 2007. The bored guys decide to play with an ouija board. The happenings there after make up the story.

Quite a nice watch with good performances, some good comedy elements with a little bit of horror thrown in. The newcomers are all very natural and the comedy is organic. On the downside, there was not a proper conclusion with the moving ending with a 'Part 2' teaser. So felt incomplete with lot of unanswered questions.

Rating: 3.5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Weekend watch:
Mahaveeryar – Malayalam (SunNxt) – 3/5
This was a massive flop when released in the cinema, but since it is directed by Abrid Shine, gave it a try and actually liked the movie – a courtroom drama with a very different type of drama
Thuniv – Tamil (Netflix) – 0.5/5
Absolutely no words – Best to avoid.
My weekend watches also. Mahaveeryar was nice as long as Nivin Pauly was around, then with the fantasy element coming into play, felt it went off the rails. Would rate it 2/5

Thunivu was horrendous. A never ending set of shooting and action sequences and after a point I could not figure who was shooting whom and for what purpose. Even the action set pieces were average and the bank looked too much like a set. No originality at all.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th February 2023 at 12:34.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 12:42   #3092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Mukundan Unni Associates - Malayalam
... It was a good watch...
Rating - 4/5
I really liked this movie.
Best part is how they made his thoughts audible. Like when someone confronted Vineeth, he, in his thoughts "This is troublesome, I should bump him off".

There is also an easter egg reference to the original Mukundan Unni vakeel, actor Salim Kumar from the movie "Meesha Madhavan", hope you guys caught it.
Rating - 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Ennalum Ente Aliya - Malayalam

....but then enters Siddique and Lena that transforms the movie. One of their best comic performances. Suraj was wasted I should say (pretty ordinary performance).

..Watch it only for Siddique's and Lena's performance.
I had a good laugh watching this movie. Pretty ordinary movie if you think about it later, but the dialogue between parents and kids, between husband and wife all those are spot on.

Could relate to it at multiple levels.
Rating - 4/5
Spinnerr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 12:46   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Romancham[Goosebumps]-Malayalam-Theater
Saw a lot of reviews giving it 4 and 5 stars and seems to heading towards being a blockbuster. ..So felt incomplete with lot of unanswered questions.
Rating: 3.5/5
I also happened to watch this yesterday. Was actually wondering what to rate it as it looks to me a little of mixed type. Yes, quite a lot of positive reviews and the person who accompanied me is all praise for the movie but I simply didn't get it.

Commendable acting from all the actors which is the highlight of the movie and also about showing the things in raw/real on how typically a bachelors house hold will be. Yes, it looks incomplete and that is what the makers intended it to be I guess.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 22:53   #3094
BHPian

Thunivu - Tamil - 0/5

Waste of time, interesting plot spoiled by the way it's made and swag for namesake swag elements , best to be avoided

Varisu - Tamil - 0/5

Absolute Cringe Fest. Vijay should stop acting roles like this , or atleast stop reference to his old hit movies.
Vijay's intro song felt weird with all the green screen background

Ennalum nte Aliya - Malayalam - 2.5/5

Siddique and Lena was hilarious. Good to see Suraj in a non serious role after long. Movie is nothing great in terms of story or visual aspects. Just a fun watch.
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 08:08   #3095
BHPian

Malikkapuram (Hotstar)
Malayalam / Tamil / Telugu with Eng subs.
Rating - Must Watch.

This is a feel good movie about a young girl who wishes to make her piligrimage to Ayyappa Swami at Shabarimala. Her father promises to take her but fate deals a blow to the family. The movie then takes us on her journey to Shabarimala and the adventures she unknowingly becomes a part of.
Do watch for the two young stars who have performed their roles with elan.

Raangi (Netflix & SUNNxt)
Tamil / Telugu with English subs.
Rating - Avoid even if you have nothing else to do.

Kindly avoid this movie. The plot is far-fetched and a complete waste of time.

Last edited by Ithaca : 19th February 2023 at 08:14.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 20:35   #3096
Senior - BHPian

Watched Mukundan Unni Associates in the Tamil version yesterday, the quality of the star cast, screenplay, and voice dubbing in Tamil was very good.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 06:57   #3097
Team-BHP Support

Malikapuram – Malayalam (Hotstar) – 3/5
A good watch, but did not feel like it’s really that great for the hype it created. Maybe the leading man’s off-screen tussle with some YouTube reviewers and the related controversies also helped.

On the plus side, the emotional scenes connected well, the two kids were really good, and good support from Ramesh Pisharody, Saiju Kurup, and Manoj K Jayan.

A special note on Harivarasanam song that comes along with the end credits – brilliant rendering.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 07:23   #3098
Distinguished - BHPian

Naalam Mura

The Regional movies thread!-jpg_ux1000_.jpg

It started off well and looked like a promising thriller. Then story becomes predicable and drops a bomb during the climax. They tried to make a thrilling mystery off a normal storyline and failed miserably.
To top all that comes the acting of the Sheelu - God, high time she stop acting. Biju Menon was just ordinary and only Guru Somasundaram stood out in that movie.

Rating - 2.5/5 (Manorama Max). Watch when you don't have anything else.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 21:51   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A special note on Harivarasanam song that comes along with the end credits – brilliant rendering.
As that started playing at the end of the film in theatre, for a second I thought it is the original version.

It is here:

balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:26   #3100
Team-BHP Support

Thankam – Malayalam (Amazon Prime) – 3.5/5

This one really lived up to the hype! Quite an unusual storyline, dealing with the lives of gold riders in Kerala (Thrissur). Even in dark premises, the humor worked really well – especially with Biju Menon and Vineeth Thattil enacting their roles (and the local slang) to perfection. And I think there is more to come from Vineeth Srinivasan, the actor; another winner after Mukundanunni Associates. And Girish Kulkarni was the star of the show – such a powerhouse of talent. The casting was perfect, even those who are in for just 1-2 scenes leave an impact. On the negative side, I felt one of the lead character’s role should have developed a bit more, which would have made the movie even more impactful – but that’s more like nitpicking.

Just a note on the language. As the story traverse through Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Mumbai, the language switch around accordingly (between Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, and Marathi).

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd February 2023 at 15:31.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 07:12   #3101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Malikapuram – Malayalam (Hotstar) – 3/5
A good watch, but did not feel like it’s really that great for the hype it created.
Very true. All those posts on social media on it's success, colleagues saying it as a must watch movie etc, I found it to pretty pretty ordinary. The kids acted really well. Unni Mukundan was ordinary with a little bit of Salman Khan style (body show) which I thought was totally unnecessary for this film.

Anyhow, I was disappointed considering the hype it created.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 09:31   #3102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thankam – Malayalam (Amazon Prime) – 3.5/5

This one really lived up to the hype! Quite an unusual storyline, dealing with the lives of gold riders in Kerala (Thrissur)..
Totally agree. We watched it and found it quite interesting.
At the end it left me thinking about the main protagonist, which in itself is sign it left an impression.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 14:46   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Weekend watch:
Mahaveeryar – Malayalam (SunNxt) – 3/5
This was a massive flop when released in the cinema, but since it is directed by Abrid Shine, gave it a try and actually liked the movie – a courtroom drama with a very different type of drama
It is sad when movies like Mahaveeryar flop. An intelligent movie with stunning camera work. Asif Ali shines!!
WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:28   #3104
Distinguished - BHPian

Varisu-Prime Video

What a terrible movie. Lazy film making. They know they have Vijay and that guarantees them them 200cr or whatever they are targeting. A very standard story, predictable, glossy artificial frames and dialogs, serial like making, good actors wasted mouthing cringe worthy lines.

Even Vijay seemed fairly disinterested.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 04:59   #3105
BHPian

Nanpakal nerathu mayakkam - Netflix ( Malayalam / Tamil)

The Regional movies thread!-6412bbf4c60345a1889f48f749ad86d3.jpeg

A very unique and brilliant storyline. Intriguing and thrilling screenplay. The premise is fresh and original.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 24th February 2023 at 05:10.
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed