Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2023, 13:09   #3166
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Corona Papers

This 2.5 hour movie looked like a 4 hour movie.
This is true. I thought the movie lasted above 3.5 hours while watching but later when I googled I was shocked to find out that it was just 2.5 hours long. The movie started with an interesting (but not really plausible) premise and stayed interesting for a while. But them Priyadarshan started injecting his signature sequences apparently to keep things engaging and there it went downhill.

It was interesting to see some fresh faces in a Priyadarshan movie, but then Shane Nigam was a bad choice for the rookie police cop. Shine Tom was his usual self and didn't have many scenes in the movie. Siddique was the best performer although the script spoiled it at times trying to inject humour where one wasn't required. About the leading ladies the less said the better. Priyadarshan movies (even blockbusters) are notorious for leading ladies who can't act. Be it Malayalm's biggest hit Chitram or Vandanam or Vettam or Kakkakkuyil or Chandralekha. Except the girl who played Pappan's wife everybody else was passable. She had played the very brave but self-degrading role in Kooman.

I can't help but wonder why this movie is named Corona Papers while it has zilch to do with the Corona pandemic. Maybe they just wanted to catch our attention.

I grew up watching Priyadarshan movies and his 80s and 90s movies (mostly copied from Hollywood) had repeat viewing potential. I even find the very mediocre Arabiyum Ottakavum... worth a chuckle or two. But his two latest outings - Marakkaar and Corona Papers makes me want to tell him to hang up his boots.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 18:43   #3167
BHPian

First time I landed on this thread, I am glad that I did, regional cinema is actually the real cinema in India right now, Bollywood is far too embarrassing to watch, I am a fan of Malayalam movies and the very fact that almost anyone who is a good actor can be the star, watched Iratta (Twins), Kooman, and Romancham recently.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th May 2023 at 08:07. Reason: typo
aspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 19:09   #3168
BHPian

Watched kannada movie, Thurthu Nirgamana' (emergency exit). Liked it. A different kind of story and movie and good casting. Available on Prime.
PreludeSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 19:25   #3169
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Vidhuthalai (Tamil)

The movie was recommended in the forum hence watched it. Lots of gory scenes and unnecessary nudity, not to be watched with children for sure. The film has been shot is some beautiful locales, was it TN?

Rating: 4/5
Yes, the movie was shot at TN Sirumalai forest in Dindigul district as mentioned in title credits.
My view:
Viduthalai - 2.5/5. I may sound negative. But I found Taanakaran better movie than this. This movie looks like inspired from WW movies and a lot from Taanakaran. I found it dragging in the last 45 minutes and wanted the movie to end. Unnecessary nudity and gory scenes just to showcase brutality like Nazis? I'm sorry I'm not for it. Music by Ilayaraja was mediocre and nowhere near Vetrimaran and Santhosh Narayanan's Vadachennai.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 21:30   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I can't help but wonder why this movie is named Corona Papers while it has zilch to do with the Corona pandemic. Maybe they just wanted to catch our attention.
True that. Apart from a few people wearing masks, there is nothing related to Corona in this film. The guy who named this film is brainless.

Overall, I liked the film that it has got some suspense elements and the scripts around Siddique is very good. But a Priyadarshan movie, no way! Good that he didn't cast Mohanlal.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 22:48   #3171
BHPian

Saw 2018

A tough watch (a bit predictable) with some superb camera work and VFX. Felt like living through all of those moments. Many scenes brought tears to my eyes. Having lived through those moments (I was in Kochi but not affected much at the time), I am sure the audience will lap it up but at the same time have a tough time watching it on screen.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 07:29   #3172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Saw 2018

A tough watch (a bit predictable) with some superb camera work and VFX. Felt like living through all of those moments.
Although most scenes were VFX, they did create a huge set near kochi to make it realistic.

The Regional movies thread!-6_2888911929590196180_n.jpeg
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 11:17   #3173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
In short - All these can be avoided

Corona Papers

Attachment 2448303

As expected, this was adapted from another movie. This 2.5 hour movie looked like a 4 hour movie. Since 95% of Priyadarshan's movies (especially in 80's/90's) are adapted from other movies and he did a great job, I was expecting something along those lines but was super bad. The casting was super horrible (except for Siddique) and I dont understand why the judge from Nna Thaan Case Kodu was simply wasted in this one.

Rating - 1/5 (Hotstar)
I watched the trailer, saw Shine's overacting and decided there was no way i was watching this one.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 16:35   #3174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Yes, the movie was shot at TN Sirumalai forest in Dindigul district as mentioned in title credits.
My view:
Viduthalai - 2.5/5. I may sound negative. But I found Taanakaran better movie than this. This movie looks like inspired from WW movies and a lot from Taanakaran. I found it dragging in the last 45 minutes and wanted the movie to end. Unnecessary nudity and gory scenes just to showcase brutality like Nazis? I'm sorry I'm not for it. Music by Ilayaraja was mediocre and nowhere near Vetrimaran and Santhosh Narayanan's Vadachennai.
I watched it last night after the recommendations here. I completely agree with you. I did not find the movie to be that engaging or well directed. I really did not find any high point in the story. I liked Taanakaran much better. I too would give Viduthalai Part I 2.5/5.
Old 9th May 2023, 16:46   #3175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I watched it last night after the recommendations here. I completely agree with you. I did not find the movie to be that engaging or well directed. I really did not find any high point in the story. I liked Taanakaran much better. I too would give Viduthalai Part I 2.5/5.
Same here. I found "Visaranai" to be much better than this even though it was a bit brutal. But Soori and Vijay Sethupathi acted really well and the train accident scene was very well taken.
Old 9th May 2023, 20:13   #3176
BHPian

Watched Balagam(Telugu) on Prime Video. The movie revolves around the death of a family head. A surprise package from Venu, the comedian who has written and directed this movie. Beautifully written and executed. Only gripe is, the editor should have used his scissors a bit more to trim it down. A solid 4/5.
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 21:09   #3177
BHPian

Ponniyin Selvan 2: Rating 5/5

Fantastic sequel to the PS1. Sometime back I felt Mani Ratnam has lost his mojo but he proved his mettle with PS (he doesn't have to, by the way). And olden days ARR can be heard again especially with 'aga naga' song. If Trisha scored in PS1, it is Aishwarya Rai all the way in PS2. She has such a screen presence and literally moves the story in this part. A true Madras Talkies combo.

Book lovers may find it tough to accept the changes/climax which is cinematic but yeah it is an adaptation. You will understand why Kalki is a genius story teller with those twists in the novel.
Old 9th May 2023, 21:45   #3178
KPR
BANNED

Watched Romancham. 4/5. What a different movie from normal ones! Thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 10:20   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Book lovers may find it tough to accept the changes/climax which is cinematic but yeah it is an adaptation. You will understand why Kalki is a genius story teller with those twists in the novel.
A little off-topic here. I hope I am not hounded here but please note the Kalki version, that is the book version, is not the real version but a fictional one. What Mani Ratnam shows as the climax is what really happened centuries back.

My only gripe with the movie is that he should have brought back the attention to Vanthiyathevan and poonguzhali (the poor lady is not given even a closure in PS2).
Old 10th May 2023, 11:06   #3180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
A little off-topic here. I hope I am not hounded here but please note the Kalki version, that is the book version, is not the real version but a fictional one. What Mani Ratnam shows as the climax is what really happened centuries back.

My only gripe with the movie is that he should have brought back the attention to Vanthiyathevan and poonguzhali (the poor lady is not given even a closure in PS2).
Of course, yes. Kalki made a fictional story out of the historical events. In my reading and understanding of history books, it was not clear about the death of AK but succession happened to Uttama chola both in story and cinema as per history.

Most Viewed