Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 11:14   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

A movie in a theater was long pending and so we went for 'aadu oru bheekara jeevi aanu'. I really don't know what to say after seeing the movie. But how can an actor like Jayasurya stoop down to such levels in selecting a story? The story felt like taken straight from 'Balarama'. But still there were some bits in it to smile if you are in a great mood, I am not able to express what it is.

See it only if you have so much time to laze around, otherwise not worth spending time and energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Iyobinte Pusthakam
Are the CD/DVD out already? I missed it in theaters and want to watch it at home now.

EDIT:

Quote:
Wow, thanks!

Last edited by thoma : 27th February 2015 at 11:23.
Old 27th February 2015, 11:21   #692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Are the CD/DVD out already? I missed it in theaters and want to watch it at home now.
Yes. Amazon India link.
Old 27th February 2015, 12:26   #693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Iyobinte Pusthakam - 5/5

Hot damn! What a movie!

Terrific cinematography! Backed up with a kickass background score and narrative. All the actors gave their best shot especially Lal. Haven't seen him in ages.
Almost agree with that. Fantastic performances by almost all actors, and this infact is the first Amal Neerad movie I liked. As you mentioned, brilliant cinematography (by the director himself) and also great attention to details. About Lal, he has done the role well, but when all others brilliantly transformed into their characters, he pretty much remained himself

I will give a 4/5 for the Pusthakam.

Varsham
Nothing new with the story, but the performances really work, especially Mammootty's. This, along with Munnariyippu probably has kept the actor him in alive.

Rating 3/5

Ormayundo Ee Mukham
After Praise the Lord, this was another movie that can be considered as an endurance test. Everything about the movie felt wrong; especially the female lead's horrible attempt to be a modern and suave city girl.

I couldn’t take the torture for more than 45 mins (no mean feat), and hence cannot give a rating
Old 4th March 2015, 11:47   #694
Team-BHP Support

Lingaa - 2/5

Had high hopes after Sivaji and Enthiran, but this one was nowhere close. Even ARR’s music was unimpressive except for one which he sung himself. The plot was weak and some parts felt dragged (the robbery sequence e.g.). Santhanam did good as always.
Old 4th March 2015, 14:24   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for putting the link. Reminded me to go buy it. Purchased the Blu-Ray version. In my opinion, an Amal Neerad movie should always be watched in theater. That did not happen for this one. So went for the next best option. Hope it will be worth it.
Old 4th March 2015, 14:45   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thanks for putting the link. Reminded me to go buy it. Purchased the Blu-Ray version. In my opinion, an Amal Neerad movie should always be watched in theater. That did not happen for this one. So went for the next best option. Hope it will be worth it.
Iyyobinte Pustakam has to be watched in Theatre to appreciate the camera work. You made the right choice
Old 11th March 2015, 15:07   #697
Team-BHP Support

1983 - 4/5

Enjoyable and no boring moments throughout. Nivin Pauly acted quite well. But more than him, I liked the lady who played the part of his wife. Plenty of hilarious sequences with her.

I reminisced my childhood days when we used to play gully cricket with my cousins and neighbours in the backyard of our ancestral house during our annual vacations, leaving the home in the morn after a quick breakfast and getting back home in the evening in dirty clothes! Heck, we didn’t even have the budget to buy a proper willow bat and we used to chop the bats out of the coconut branches. Those were the days!

Oru Indian Pranayakatha - 3.5/5

Good TP movie. Politics, romance, comedy, Fahadh Fazil, Amala Paul. Santhyan Anthikad used to make some kickass movies once upon a time. This one was remotely close! Even Ilaiyaraaja is out, who used to compose the music for his movies.
Old 11th March 2015, 16:21   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1983 - 4/5

But more than him, I liked the lady who played the part of his wife. Plenty of hilarious sequences with her.
Her name is Srinda Ashab. Now seen in several movies. I found myself in this situation where I realized I do not know the names of several of the smaller actors who have actually left an impression on us. So, thanks to google, I try to immeidately find out the names of such actors when I face such a situation.

Finding Srinda's name was one such search I did. So thought will share the knowledge
Old 11th March 2015, 19:59   #699
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Days - Loved the movie. The climax was a bit disappointing, almost seemed like a reluctant addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Easily one of the worst Mammootty movie I came across.
Worser than Sethuramiyer CBI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Yennai Arindhaal - Worth a watch if you've enjoyed Kakka Kakka and Vettaiyadu Vilaiyaadu.
Vettaiyadu Vilayadu itself was disappointing. It was brilliant until the criminals are found, but by revealing the modus operandi right away, it deflated all interest thereon. Post intermission was totally Kakka Kakka repeat. Looking at yours and swiftnfurious review, am skeptical whether to watch Yennai Arindhal at all.
---
Thanks for the recommendations on 1983 and Iyobinte Pusthakam, will watch it sometime.
Old 11th March 2015, 20:19   #700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Worser than Sethuramiyer CBI?
Oh yes, Sethuramiyer is a classic in comparison

------

Nagaravaridhi Naduvil Njan
The title is pretty apt. Because that was the feeling I got while watching the movie. A poor effort, with some jokes forced in to bring back the memories of Chinthavishtayaya Shyamala. Best avoided!

Rating: 1/5
Old 12th March 2015, 06:01   #701
Team-BHP Support

Yennai Arindhaal (Tamil)

I had high hopes from this one, after seeing the promos, and that it was a Gautam Menon movie. I have loved his genre of movies especially Kakka Kakka and Vettaiyadu Vilaiyaadu. I would have surely watched them quite a few times.

Yennai Arindhaal seems to tiptoe on similar lines, with a lot of the events in there bringing a sense of deja vu if you have seen the other movies. Even the music score feels repetitive, although quite hummable, and they grow on you.

To summarize, Yennai Arindhaal is worth a watch, but dont feel surprised if you come out feeling you felt nothing new.

P.S. : Watch out for the nicely modded Thar which is Ajit's ride in the movie.
Old 12th March 2015, 07:48   #702
Distinguished - BHPian

Self confessed Ajith fan here. YA has Ajith doing a 360 in a nicely done Lancer.
The Thar is very subtly but beautifully done.

With respect to the movie, you are right. Its a mix of GVMs previous films, in fact some scenes and dialogues are direct lift.

This is like GVMs redemption of making up for not having Ajith in Kakha Kakha.

Ajith and GVM fans loved it; neutral ones liked it but felt deja vu; Ajith and GVM haters had a field day making memes that the film has nothing new.
Old 12th March 2015, 08:36   #703
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nagaravaridhi Naduvil Njan
The title is pretty apt. Because that was the feeling I got while watching the movie. A poor effort, with some jokes forced in to bring back the memories of Chinthavishtayaya Shyamala. Best avoided!
Is this a sequel to Chinthavishtayaya Shyamala? That was an amazing movie!

How is God's Own Country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Her name is Srinda Ashab.
Old 12th March 2015, 08:46   #704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this a sequel to Chinthavishtayaya Shyamala? That was an amazing movie!

How is God's Own Country?
Not a sequel, just that the lead pair is same.

God's Own Country follows the same style of Traffic and a few other New-Gen movies, different incidents linking together by the end. Its watchable when compared to some of the new movies.
Old 12th March 2015, 11:41   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not a sequel, just that the lead pair is same.

God's Own Country follows the same style of Traffic and a few other New-Gen movies, different incidents linking together by the end. Its watchable when compared to some of the new movies.
+1. Was a decent watch. There was another movie with the same 'money going around' theme. I think it was 'Chapters'. Was also a decent watch.

Finally got to watch 'Saptamshree Taskara'. Nice watch-Especially some of the scenes involving Chemben Vinod Jose

Half way through Iyobinte Pustakam. Had to stop in between.

Most Viewed