Team-BHP - The Regional movies thread!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Regional movies thread! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/56597-regional-movies-thread-51.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 3748661)
And it really did not do well right?

Obviously !

I'd be phenomenally glad if it had been a commercial success ! :Frustrati

Kaaka Muttai (Tamil): Read a lot of positive reviews and hence decided to see it. Was not disappointed. Simple story about 2 slum kids who want to have a slice of Pizza. Will make you pause and think about many things that one takes for granted. A little slow moving.

Rating 3.5/5

Had missed some Malayalam movies which I had wanted to see in the theater. Finally picked up DVD's.

Vikramadityan: Dulquer, Unni Mukundan and Namitha Pramod. A good watch, especially the climax portions. Story of 2 friends/foes one is son of a thief and the other the son of a police officer. Not too much depth from a story perspective, but nicely packaged by Lal Jose, well acted and shot.

Rating: 3.5/5

Ormayundo Ee mukham: Vineet Srinivasan, Namitha Pramod. A romantic movie loosely based on the Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore hit-Fifty First Dates. Thought it was an exact copy, but was not the case. Time pass watch. Well shot and had good songs. Acting was kind of average. Vineet is better at directing/writing/singing as compared to acting.

Rating: 2.5/5

Saaradhy: Sunny Wayne/Sreenivasan. Probably the least known of the lot. Story of an ambulance driver who encounters strange behavior from the family of a dead man whom he is carrying to a remote location. Followed by his attempts to uncover the truth behind the death. 3 threads that gets interconnected. Did not have much expectations, but enjoyed it. The lack of experience from the director probably made it a little more 'loose' than it should have been. Sunny Wayne did a good job of carrying this film on his shoulders.

Rating 3/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3725788)
Mallu folks, don't miss Drishyam's Bollywood trailer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by suresh_gs (Post 3745654)
Papanasam reviews have been very good especially the screenplay, direction by Jeethu joseph and not but not the least acting by Ulaganayagan Kamal.

Oh my, everywhere you look and hear, it is all about Drishyam, Drishya, Papanasam etc etc etc. Looks like Drishyam fever has caught on for the whole Indian film industry.:D

I have watched the movie in Kannada and Telugu and loved both the movies. I guess I missed the Malayalam version before all the hype started (at least in Bangalore/Karnataka). Now I have a chance to watch it again in Tamil or Hindi, I will definitely watch it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3725801)
The choice of heroine seems strange. It is a role that requires some heavy acting. Maybe Kajol or Vidya Balan?

I saw the trailer just now, and I agree with you. Going by the other language versions of this film, you would have expected an 'older/mature' looking heroine than the young-ish looking Sriya. But this is just my opinion.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 3748789)
I saw the trailer just now, and I agree with you. Going by the other language versions of this film, you would have expected an 'older/mature' looking heroine than the young-ish looking Sriya. But this is just my opinion.:D

Does Shriya look like the mother of a teenage daughter? I think its not just about the looks alone. The character demands an actress who can really 'act' and not just a glamorous model.

Killa (Marathi movie) - 3.5/5

A simple movie of a boy and his mother settling down in a Konkan village because of Mom's transfer. The story is not much, it is more like a 'slice of life' kind of movie. But Guhagar's beauty peeks out of every frame, and the movie is very light hearted. However it contains some colourful language by the kids, so be aware if you are taking your impressionable younger ones to the movie.

A good one time watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand123 (Post 3749099)
Does Shriya look like the mother of a teenage daughter? I think its not just about the looks alone. The character demands an actress who can really 'act' and not just a glamorous model.

I think in the Hindi version, it is not about the teenage daughter, but the sister of Ajay Devgan (this was the rumour I had heard - not sure if that is how it is in the film). If the story is similar to Malayalam, then Shriya will definitely look out of place.

Papanasam - 7/10

Well, since I had already watched Dhrishyam, I somehow didn't think Kamal did that great a job. Mohanlal is effortless in his acting in that role and though a fan of Kamal, I thought there was some over-acting on his part.

I thought that Gouthami has actually played the part well - I thought even better than Meena. And Kalabhavan Mani - awesome as usual.

Worth a watch though.

And watched it in Sandhya Theater - Madiwala/BTM. Not a bad theater actually. Not for family type outings though.

Close to 500 shows per day this opening weekend in Bangalore for 'Bahubali' :Shockked: Never seen anything like this before. And this is from BookMyShow. Number will be higher if you include the theaters not in BookmyShow.

Almost 90% shows are showing sold out for tomorrow. Amazing.

Anyone watched Bahubali?

Does it live up to the expectations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 3750569)
Papanasam - 7/10

Well, since I had already watched Dhrishyam, I somehow didn't think Kamal did that great a job. Mohanlal is effortless in his acting in that role and though a fan of Kamal, I thought there was some over-acting on his part.

I think when Mohanlal gets close to his effortless best, it really difficult to better him if not impossible. I have not seen Paapanasam but have seen Drishyam. Lalettan was at his effortless best among his recent appearances. Though Kamal is a great actor himself, I believe he is at times prone to over acting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pallavi (Post 3751335)
Anyone watched Bahubali?

Does it live up to the expectations?

Saw Baahubali yesterday in Tamil. It lives up to the expectations in the sense that it's a visual extravaganza. I belive best visual effects in an Indian movie. There are scenes where CGI does look overdone and artificial, but it could have been taken care by some careful editing. War scenes have been picturized pretty well too. Not much of a story in any case. But watch it for the visuals.

Yesterday went a mall hoping to catch a English movie... found every slot in every theatre occupied by Bahubali. And this is in Bangalore.

Wife was game for Bahubali, but I didn't want to watch unless there was sub-titles. Are they showing subtitles in Bangalore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbiju (Post 3749281)
I think in the Hindi version, it is not about the teenage daughter, but the sister of Ajay Devgan (this was the rumour I had heard - not sure if that is how it is in the film). If the story is similar to Malayalam, then Shriya will definitely look out of place.

In the introduction by Ajay Devgan at the beginning of the trailer, he says he has 2 daughters and Shriya looks like his 3rd daughter:eek:. In fact, AD himself doesn't look so old to have a grown up daughter.

Watched Baahubali and I'm falling short of words to convey my excitement. Watch it in the best theatre avaliable. Watched it in 4K and it was worth it. Take a bow SS Rajamouli; you've taken Indian cinema to another level.

I hear Baahubali is made in 5 languages... yet Bangalore has only Telugu version. I think I'll wait for the DVD to come out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand123 (Post 3677781)
Ennum Eppozhum- Another Sathyan Anthikad movie and you know what to expect! For a change, the focus is more on Manju Warrier than Mohanlal. A full song (which itself was unnecessary) is dedicated to show the heroine's talent in classical dance. The same is repeated in another scene. Overall, I felt like the movie was made to market the actress. Nothing much to write about the story. Its about a middle aged journalist and a divorcee advocate and how their relation grows with time. If you've enjoyed the last few Sathyan-Lal movies, you might like this one too. For me, I was expecting nothing and got the same!

Totally agree with your review.
I watched Ennum Eppozhum over the weekend, and felt it to be a total waste of time. To top it, the plug ins to promote Lulu, etc added insult to injury.

Waste of time, IMHO.