Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 01:21   #811
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Watched Malayalam movie 'Nirnayakam' (slightly old one). One time watch for the socially relevant theme in Kerala. The movie is fast paced. There is nothing to take away from the movie, but if you are an ordinary citizen, you'll definitely support the cause.
Old 20th September 2015, 10:13   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Rangitaranga: Am i the only person who feels this movie is way too much hype. Sorry but i watched a couple of Malyalam movies recently which set my standards on acting and story and i just felt this was lacking in the movie. Let me say my issues before i get blasted.

My issues: Second half has 2 songs in like 5 minute intervals. Story is simply twisted to get a connection between folks. There didnt have to be couple of those twists as you are left wandering was it just made to say "Wow, what twist."

The villains play a good role in this movie and that was a good break, but this movie sticks to making fun of the accent of folks in mangalore which can get a bit exaggerated.

2.5/5 Improve the effort and you can get better movies.
Maddy
Don't think its hype.
those two songs in second half slows down the narration.
It is a good movie, with very good cinematography.

Am sure some one else will feel the same about the other movies you have mentioned. It's viewers perspective.
Old 20th September 2015, 12:32   #813
Team-BHP Support

Watched Maya (Tamil).

Nice horror movie, without any sort of heavy violence involved. The climax can be partially predicted 20 mins into the movie though.

Good watch overall. Looks like NayanTara is back in business with two hits- Thani Oruvan was a nice watch too.
Old 20th September 2015, 13:07   #814
Senior - BHPian

After hearing many rave reviews of Rangi Taranga (Kannada), decided to catch it at a Multiplex here in Pune. I do not speak Kannada, but do understand little bit thanks to my wife being from Bangalore. It was a decent watch specially the second half after the twist near interval.

First Half I felt it had a lot of normal Horror movie cliches. Second half was good enough to pick up the whole movie for me. Although there were quite a few plot holes and the male lead's acting left a lot to be desired, I would rather ignore them and enjoy a movie that was over all well made.
Old 21st September 2015, 16:58   #815
BHPian

A mention for 'Kenda Sampige' (Kannada): a romance-thriller which has a good plot, soundtrack and wasn't very predictable.
Old 26th September 2015, 14:14   #816
Distinguished - BHPian

Life of Josutty-Malayalam- Dileep- Directed by Jeethu Joseph

Jeethu Joseph's first venture after the hugely successful Drishyam (and Tamil Papanasam) ends up being a very average fare. Jeethu has been careful to call out before the release that this is not a thriller and it is just the life of a common man. Even then does not impress much.

Starts off slowly in typical Jeethu Joseph fashion, and most of the first half is spent establishing the characters and the context. But unlike his other movies where the 2nd half takes off in a different plane, nothing much happens here. It flows at the same pace and concludes in an unsatisfactory fashion. Not really boring, not difficult to sit through- but not to Jeethu Joseph standards. Beautifully shot but felt the heavy use of VFX which made some of those picturesque locations look artificial.

Few laugh aloud moments sprinkled across courtesy Dileep and his side kicks (Joby, Pashanam Shaji).

Would rate it below Drishyam, Memories, My Boss and Detective.
Old 26th September 2015, 22:51   #817
Senior - BHPian

The current best among the malayalam releases is Ennu Ninte Moideen. Watched it in the first day itself and still haven't lost that 'feel'. Its a 'real life' love story told without any gimmicks. Performance of all the actors were good, especially of the lead cast - Prithviraj ad Parvathy. Technical side is also good. Jomon's cinematography and Gopi Sunder's background score was superb. Worth a watch.

Asif Ali's new film Kohinoor is touted as a heist movie but not much thrilling considering the best movies of that genre. I think they wished to make something like Special 26. But if you leave all the expectations aside, its a one time watchable affair. Nothing much happens in the first half but the post interval portions are interesting. Performance of the actors is what makes the film watchable than the content.
Old 28th September 2015, 06:33   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Life of Josutty

Rajeev pointed out really well. A very average and ordinary movie. Definitely we wouldnt expect it's from Jeethu. There were few laughs in between but nothing what we expect from a Dileep movie as the second half moves to a more serious level.

The use of graphics especially during the title sequence was horrible and they could have minimized the use of drone. Too much drone spoils the exclusivity of some takes.

Anyways, a very average movie.

Rating - 6/10
Old 28th September 2015, 10:53   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Kohinoor-Malayalam

A reasonably good film. Another one of those heist films. First half is a little slow and several unwanted scenes. Especially several irrelevant scenes of Asif Ali. I assume since he is also the producer, he had the chance to project himself. The Wedding Song with Bhavana in a Cameo was totally out of place, the whole romantic track also was a waste of time.

Once into the 2nd half, film picks up pace and we are greeted with twist after twist ( too many in my opinion). Indrajith, Vinay Fort, Vinod Jose and Aju Varghese do a good job in keeping the proceedings interesting and watchable.

Film is also set in 1988. Has managed to maintain that feel throughout.

Overall a good time pass watch- Not as good as Saptamashree, better than movies like Mr Fraud.

Vinay Fort and Vinod Jose seem to be gaining in popularity with their different brand of comedy. Film is watchable largely due to these 2 and Aju.
Old 1st October 2015, 21:37   #820
BHPian

Watched Thani Oruvan last weekend. Loved the movie. Great comeback by Arvind Swamy.

Watched Puli today. Oh my God! I am a Vijay fan - no particular reason . Came back a little underwhelmed. The "second half of the second half" was okay but it takes a while to get there.
Old 3rd October 2015, 15:14   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Ennu Ninte Moideen-Malayalam (With Sub titles)- Prithviraj

A movie that backs the old saying- 'Truth is stranger than fiction'. If this was purely a fictional movie, most folks would have laughed at it thinking- 'Come on, can such love stories ever happen'. But this is a movie based on a real love story between a Muslim boy and a Hindu girl that happened in a small town in Kerala in the 1960's-70's period. As per what I read, all that has been shown is based on true facts and there is no cinematic liberties.

Keeping this in mind, a great movie. It is not an entertainer by any means and moves at an even pace. Beautifully shot with rain and a river as constant characters. The 60-s-70's period has been depicted very well. The background music and the songs add to the tragic air.

Above all lifted to the next level by some brilliant acting-Prithviraj, Parvathy, Saikumar, Lena, Bala, Tovino Thomas and everyone else-even the small role actors.

Special mention for Parvathy- Took me a while to figure out it was the same Bangalore Days Girl (Sarah)-Seems to metamorphise effortlessly depending on the character and Saikumar-Playing Prithviraj's dad. Brilliant.

Special Kudos to Prithvi for taking this up and bringing the real story of Moideen and Kanchana to the people.He does this on a regular basis. Last with 'Celluloid' which educated the modern audience about the founding father of Malayalam Cinema-JC Daniel.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 3rd October 2015 at 15:18.
Old 4th October 2015, 13:50   #822
Senior - BHPian

Ennu Ninte Moideen- Had watched this movie on the release day itself but was so stuck in it to even write a review. Even now, I don't want to write anything about the movie since the movie excels in almost every aspects. This is one movie I'd love to recommend to everyone especially to those non-malayali friends who would like to watch some good malayalam movies.
Old 5th October 2015, 06:50   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Kohinoor

The first half is a real drag and absolutely nil laughs. The second half feels better with a bit of comedies and twist (if you watch the movie closely you can guess it. Me and my wife guessed it). They should have used the characters well (added in more comedies). Overall, just an average movie. Dont feel sad if you miss it.

Rating - 4/10

Ennu Ninte Moideen

This shouldnt be missed. Prithviraj and Parvathy were superb. And should mention the amazing camera and BGM. They have cast all the characters well. Highly recommended.

Rating - 9/10
Old 7th October 2015, 03:18   #824
Distinguished - BHPian

Ennu ninte moideen : Good movie with great acting from almost all. I felt the movie was a bit drag due to the overall length. Could have been trimmed by 20 mins or so. There were faults in the dialogues considering the movie took place in the 60s & 70s. Overall, a good watch if you can manage to sit in the theatre for that long.
Old 16th October 2015, 20:48   #825
Senior - BHPian

Amar Akbar Anthony (Malayalam) - Mimicry artist Nadirshah's debut as a film maker. Trailer gave an idea that its a typical comedy entertainer and that's exactly what it is. Story of three lazy middle class youth from Fort Kochi. There isn't much of a story. The movie goes on with the heroes getting into different situations and how they deal with them and all these are shown in a humorous way. Towards the end, a socially relevant subject is also discussed. The movie targets the mass audience and going by the response in theatre, the movie has managed to satisfy its targeted audience.

Watch it without any expectations and this one can be a good one time watch.
My Rating- 6.5/10

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks