Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 23:16   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Pavada-Malayalam-Prithviraj, Anoop Menon, Miya George

Quite an odd name for a movie. Prithviraj and Anoop Menon are alcoholics who end up meeting at a de-addition center. First half goes on two tracks with alcoholic incidents sprinkled with some humour from both parties. 2nd half goes in a completely different direction where the two realize they are connected via a past incident.

Overall a good watchable movie. Prithviraj excels once again and cements his position further as the top hero in Malayalam and has ensured a 4th hit in a row. Handles the comic scenes as a drunkard pretty well. Anoop Menon and the rest of cast do well.

Rating:3/5
Old 20th January 2016, 11:50   #857
BHPian

Saw Gujarati Movie " Chhello Diwas" recently, It means Last Day, basically fun film about young college students.

Firstly, Am happy to see a new Gujarati movie being made. I hope this is just the beginning of revival of Gujarati film industry.

All in all comedy movie, but loads of over-acting and some not so funny stuffs. The younger, college-going crowd would love this movie, but have to say acting skills of most of the actors / actresses are strictly average, which otherwise would have made this film more love-able. Would give it 3 / 5 rating.
Old 25th January 2016, 06:52   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Since nobody posted the review, I shall post it.

Monsoon Mangoes:

The odd timings says that this movie isnt running well and when you see few people walking off after half n hour, then the fate is sealed. Movie starts off pretty well and then it loses steam. Fahadh did do his role well. The movie was supposed to be set in the 70's/80's right? But you see a lot of new generation cars running in the background. The director tried a lot of scenes with the green background but missed out on few occasions. The only thing I liked was the background score. Everything else is a miss. Would definitely recommend everyone to - Stay Away!

Rating - 1/5

These movies have already been posted and it's highly recommended.

Two Countries

Highly recommended

Rating - 4/5

Charlie

Highly recommended

Rating - 4.5/5
Old 25th January 2016, 15:34   #859
Team-BHP Support

Sad news - Actress Kalpana (Urvashi's sister) expired today due to a heart attack. We definitely lost a gem. :(

Urumbukal Urangarilla - 3.5/5

Quite a watchable comedy-thriller. There was a strange disconnect between the first bits and the later parts where they show the thieves and their M.O. - only the climax explains it. Movie picks up pace after the second half. Star attraction of the movie was our very own maava - Vinay Forrt!
Old 25th January 2016, 18:14   #860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Sad news - Actress Kalpana (Urvashi's sister) expired today due to a heart attack. We definitely lost a gem. :(
Quite shocking. I was just watching her on a program yesterday where she spoke about her small but powerful performance in 'Charlie'. In the movie, she is on a boat far out in the sea with Dulquer. One moment she is there standing at the edge looking out to the sea, next moment when Dulquer turns to call her, she is gone.
Old 28th January 2016, 01:19   #861
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
I will definitely recommend Killa,...
Do also consider watching another brilliant Marathi movie - Fandry.
Watched Killa based on this suggestion. What a movie, the slow kind, but the depiction of konkan, the ride on the boat was outstanding. I think the camera work and cinematography gets the max points.

On the other hand watched Katyar Kaljat Ghusli : The Classical Music is the star here. Languages apart this is a must watch for any music lover and gives you deep insights of the rich music culture in India.

a Must Watch!
Old 29th January 2016, 23:58   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
O Kadhal Kanmani - Mani Ratnam is back!
The song Mana Mana is awesome. Too good music and chemistry of lead pair is commendable.

Just wanted to point out a few goof ups (of course as a bhpian).

In this song, Salmaan and Nithya roam in Mumbai on a bike without helmet and that bike (Royal Enfield) has no mirrors at all. Are you reading this dear Mumbai Police (hee hee hee)!!!

I think censor board is too busy looking for other types of cuts so they missed this completely. We must appoint a bhpian within censor board .
Old 1st February 2016, 06:53   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Pavada

Like Rajeev pointed out, quite an odd name for the movie but there's a meaning to it. Coming back to the movie, I wasnt really interested in this and that why it was my last choice of all the Xmas releases but I was wrong. This is one movie that I liked and glad that I didnt miss it.

The first half is pretty hilarious and it ends at a pretty interesting point. The second half flips the movie to a serious side but is interesting. The lead actors (Prithviraj and Anoop Menon were brilliant). Maniyanpilla Raju and Nedumudi supported them really well. Loved the BGM although songs were not that good.

I would certainly recommend this.

Rating 4/5
Old 1st February 2016, 09:57   #864
BHPian

Charlie :

Really a good movie. Must watch. Terrific performance by the lead pair. But Dulqer must be careful, saw a tint "Mohanlal flair & mannerisms" in this movie.

Rating : 4.5/5

Pavada :

As rightly pointed out by @naveen.raju good performance by Prithiviraj & Anoop Menon.
But I felt second half totally out of sync with first half. The director lost plot in the second half.

Rating : 2.5/5

Last edited by Vasuki : 1st February 2016 at 09:59.
Old 4th February 2016, 22:54   #865
Team-BHP Support

Pathemari: 5/5

I am at a loss of words to describe this movie. What a show by Mammukka – he can truly act just like did decades back in Amaram! The movie is about a Gulf Malayali migrant who goes there during the early ‘60s, struggles for a long time and ensures that his family and relatives secure a livelihood with his earnings. Everything was captured so well and you could perhaps relate to the instances through a friend or maybe even a close relative! Some sequences had me teary eyed! Have to give it to the entire cast – each one of them did their part really well. Man, Salim Ahamed is one heck of a director! Adaminte Makan Abu and now this. Please DO NOT miss this movie – pretty please!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th February 2016 at 22:57.
Old 6th February 2016, 02:06   #866
BHPian

Maheshinte Prathikaram : 4/5

Fahadh back again. Nice taut script, excellent comedy. Really enjoyed it, to say least total "Paisa Vasool"
Old 6th February 2016, 03:06   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pathemari: 5/5

I am at a loss of words to describe this movie. What a show by Mammukka – he can truly act just like did decades back in Amaram! The movie is about a Gulf Malayali migrant who goes there during the early ‘60s, struggles for a long time and ensures that his family and relatives secure a livelihood with his earnings. Everything was captured so well and you could perhaps relate to the instances through a friend or maybe even a close relative! Some sequences had me teary eyed! Have to give it to the entire cast – each one of them did their part really well. Man, Salim Ahamed is one heck of a director! Adaminte Makan Abu and now this. Please DO NOT miss this movie – pretty please!
Will go by your recco. Just finished watching Adaminte Makan Abu and......wow, what a movie. Yes, Salim Ahmed is amazing!! Great performances by Salim Kumar and Zarina Wahab too. Touches some nerves.
Old 6th February 2016, 08:01   #868
Senior - BHPian

Action Hero Biju

The story follows what happens at a Police Station and its hilarious and realistic with a great set of characters. But the movie loses its way in the second half. Definitely a one time watch and not a classic like 1983.
Old 6th February 2016, 12:19   #869
Team-BHP Support

Rajamma @ Yahoo - 3/5

A watchable TP flick. Story is cliched but the humor and characters make up for it. The first half is good and progresses nicely but the second half drags it. Watchable for sure. Nikki Galrani is beautiful!

Salt Mango Tree - 3.5/5

Loved it! Biju and the female lead paired well, and tells us about the challenges of the current education system. Good humor! The child labor part had me in splits - in the theater, this would have been a riot!

BTW this has got me concerned - are parents now attending interviews for their children when they are being enrolled into kindergarten and 1st grade?

Kanal - 1/5

Useless movie! Wasted 2 hours on this. Uninspiring storyline and lot of plot holes. Can't fathom Lalettan doing these scripts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Will go by your recco.
Let us know how it went. And keep your expectations low.
Old 6th February 2016, 13:03   #870
BHPian

Quote:
[
BTW this has got me concerned - are parents now attending interviews for their children when they are being enrolled into kindergarten and 1st grade?
Yep. Did that 10 years ago.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks