Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 21:20   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
My wife watched it last weekend along with her friends. None of them was impressed.
Same here. I would rate it 2/5.
Old 20th September 2017, 11:42   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Movie : Njandukalude Nattil Oridavela
Language : Malayalam
Saw the movie and both my wife and I liked it. I thought it was a realistic portrayal of a typical family under the circumstances.

The casting was good too. Surprisingly Nivin Pauly felt a bit shallow in some scenes though. The lethargy showcased of the role could have been more subtle. He is normally very much in control of such details.
Old 14th October 2017, 12:33   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone watch Solo? Looking for reviews on the performance and not the story line.
Old 31st October 2017, 19:22   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

Thread has been quiet for some time. Update on few recent movies (All Malayalam)

Villain- Dir: B Unnikrishnan- Mohanlal-Vishal-Manju Warrier-Hansika: Had a huge pre-release hype due to the star cast and the promos. Meant to be an investigative thriller more focused on the emotional turmoil of the key players. As a thriller the move failed to live up to expectations- A standard plot with a lot of loop holes. The mystery element is done and dusted by the interval. 2nd half focuses on the reasoning behind the characters doing what they do. Lot of heavy dialogs. On the emotional front the movie does well- Primarily due to great acting all around, especially Mohanlal-Brilliant performance. Vishal also does well. Manju Warrier is impressive in a cameo. The 2 heroines Hansika and Raashi Khanna do a decent job with the limited scope.

Rating: 3/5 (2/5 for the movie and 1 purely for Mohanlal- As a Lal fan, love it when he gets a role that gives scope to perform. This is one such movie. There is a close up scene where he is crying while the lips form a dejected smile. Pure magic..)

Parava- Dir: Soubin Sahir- Dulquer (in a guest role)- Shane Nigam: A movie that has the sport of pigeon flying as its theme and tells the story through the eyes of 2 boys. Based in Mattanchery area of Kochi, captures the area and its life beautifully. Brilliant camera work and some lovely scenes. Dulquer lights up the screen in an extended cameo. Rest of the cast especially the 2 kids, do very well.

Rating: 3/5

Sherlock Toms-Shafi- Biju Menon: Typically Shafi stuff, time pass entertainer. Difficult to summarize the story. Biju Menon is an Enforcement Officer and how he traps a large company dealing in black money. Some good comedy from Hareesh Peumanna.

Rating: 2/5 (DVD Watch)

Udaharanam Sujatha- Manju Warrier- Inspired by the hindi movie 'Nil Battey Sannatta', Manju Warrier as Sujatha who does a lot of odd jobs to support her daughters education. Her daughter is resigned to the fact that she is also going to become a maid like her mom and is not focused on studies. The movie deals with Sujatha's attempt to change that. Brilliant performance by Manju as well as the girl who played her daughter.

Rating: 3.5/5

Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum- Dir: Dileesh Pothen: Fahad Fazil, Suraaj. Second one from Dileesh Pothen after Maheshinte Pratikaram. Another simple story dealing with a thief (Fahad) who steals a chain from a couple in a bus. All of the movie is set in the police station with the police attempting to make him confess. Excellent performances from Fahad and Suraaj.

Rating: 3/5. Fahad is another actor who immerses himself in a character and is lovely to watch. Suraaj in a serious role also does very well.
Old 26th December 2017, 23:15   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Masterpiece (Malayalam)

Had to give in to the family demand to watch this movie among the three Malayalam movies that were being screened in Pune during Christmas.

A terribly made movie and one with a horrible background score, particularly when Mammootty is in action. I cannot understand how a good actor like Mammootty can stoop so low to act in this kind of movies. You'd be better off spending your precious time and money on something else. Looks like the movie was made only to showcase Mammootty with a larger than life stunt master. It almost feels like Mammootty is trying to be a Rajnikanth with the stunt moves. Mammootty is not that good with his English and he comes in as an English professor and fails miserably in his opening lecture trying to sound a great English professor (I must admit though that he has reasonably done well in that scene considering his actual English speaking skills). Below average story, poorly scripted and directed. The only thing good about this movie is that Mammootty was looking quite young and dashing, save for the tiny paunch.
Old 19th January 2018, 22:24   #1056
BHPian

Carbon (Malayalam):

Please do yourself a favour and do not even venture anywhere close to where this is running. I pity the producer of this movie.

Such a horrendous plot. We are yet to figure out the relation of the title with the plot. Made the mistake of dragging my better half to watch this.
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:03   #1057
BHPian

Humble Politician Nograj (Kannada)

Debut film of the RJ and RCB insider Danish Sait in and as his well-known character politician Nograj.
A good one time watch. Some of the jokes are recycled from his older gigs and posts on Youtube and Facebook. Still makes you laugh if you do not take the movie too seriously.

Last edited by NiXTriX2004 : 22nd January 2018 at 11:07.
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:07   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Watched Chamak the previous weekend. First half in entertaining while the second half drags a bit. I felt that movie length could have been reduced to 120 mins. One time watch(but the theaters were running houseful still) and I would rate it as 3/5.
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:14   #1059
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught up with few movies over the last couple of weekends.

Mayanadhi
I wasn't really keen on watching it but the reviews on social media were really encouraging. The plot is what we have come across before, nothing new. The movie doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat and it's not boring at the same time. Tovino was really good in this and also the supporting actors (most of them are new and apt for the role - something like what we saw in Action Hero Biju). Songs were ok. Overall, a decent watch.
Rating - 3.75/5

Diwanji Moola Grand Prix
I still wonder, why I went for this. I expected a decent movie since the director had some decent movies under his name (except for lord livingston, of course). The basic concept can be seen in hundreds of movies but you have the bike race in this (bringing in a modern touch). Few decent laughs from Hareesh but vinayakan stole the show. He was brilliant in this. I wouldn't recommend this (Watch the bit when vinayakan joins).
Rating - 2/5

Aadu 2
I had enjoyed the first movie and knew this would keep me entertained. There isnt much to say about the storyline but this will keep you entertained. Keep your mind at home to watch this. The "Dude" was brilliant as always.
Rating - 3/5

Queen
Again, saw some good reviews on social media, radio etc. I just didnt want it be something like "Chunkz". It was a decent watch and all the new guys on screen did a good job. The music was also good. Salim Kumar appeared for some 15 mins and stole the show. Was a brilliant performance from him. A typical college life which later goes on for a fight against a social issue. A decent watch.
Rating - 3.75/5

Thaana Serndha Kootam
Another big mistake that I made. Should have avoided this. Expected something more interesting when it involved an heist. Songs at regular intervals will also bug you even more. Can be avoided.
Rating - 1/5
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:53   #1060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Caught up with few movies over the last couple of weekends.
Thanks for the comments...

Mayanadhi
I am waiting for this to get on DVD, even though many comments from the friends circle here were kind of discouraging

Diwanji Moola Grand Prix
I feel that the Thrissur based movies are getting a bit too monotonous. The accent and the premises appear as forced.

Queen
Good to know. Chunkz was quite bad, and I thought this follow similar lines.

I am looking for more comments on Carbon. Venu's previous movie was quite brilliant.
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:28   #1061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am looking for more comments on Carbon. Venu's previous movie was quite brilliant.
Being a long weekend, I might catch up with few but not encouraging comments on Carbon. Even the second half of the trailer reminded me of "Lord Livingston". Anyhow, will update in case I watch it.
Old 23rd January 2018, 21:33   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Heard from friends that Carbon is worth a watch, especially for Fahadh's performance. Not a regular 'entertainer' though.
Old 23rd January 2018, 21:44   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Aadu 2 recently. Slap stick comedy done very well. Lot of laugh aloud sequences and one liners.

Another recent DVD watch was the Tovino Thomas starrer 'Tharangam'. Was surprisingly a good watch.

Need to watch Carbon. Any movie that has Fahad is worth watching just for his acting. Such a fine performer.
Old 23rd January 2018, 22:03   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Mayanadhi - Just loved the film. There is honesty in the portrayal of love between Mathan(Tovino) and Aparna(Aishwarya). Most of the characters got depth. What I found interesting was the realistic portrayal of emotions in a relationship, be it love, frustration, intimacy. I made eight relatives to go and watch the movie and all of them enjoyed it. It is worth a watch, you won't be disappointed.

3.5/5
Old 1st February 2018, 11:44   #1065
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught up with couple of movies since it was a long weekend.

Shikari Shambu

Typical Sugeeth-Kunchacko combination. Starts off as a comedy family entertainer and then the second half is a suspense thriller.I am one big fan of Hareesh (comedian) but felt he was a bit too artificial with his jokes in this (you will eventually get bored of him midway). The climax is unexpected but not something that will make your jaws drop. A decent one.

Rating - 3/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Carbon

Watch this movie for 3 things - Fahadh's realistic acting, visuals (location) and a decent screenplay. There isn't much to say about the story (as it's a pretty straight forward subject) but the way they have portrayed is quite good and the location (especially the palace adds that eerie feel). Felt the movie was a bit long but will push you to know what happens at the end. You will eventually get an idea of the climax but it was a good ending.

Definitely not a masterpiece from Venu (when compared to munnariyippu - That still gives me a chill factor when I think of the ending) but a good watch if you want a realistic movie with realistic dialogue delivery and acting.

Rating - 3.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks