Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2018, 09:03   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Completely .

If its any consolation, the Thar has, in real life, been saved and transferred to the Mahindra Research Valley at Chennai. Courtesy Anand Mahindra.

Link

Source
Yes I know. What I meant was I couldn't watch it in the movie till the end. I know that in this modern age of movie making with so much CG and VFX, they wouldn't burn it for real
Old 9th June 2018, 19:12   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Kaala
One hollow movie with no substance. Boring, predictable, long, beaten-to-death story line.
+1
I turned off the movie 40 minutes into it. It was that bad. Rajini is OLD. Fans must accept this and let this old man move on.
Old 9th June 2018, 19:19   #1098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
+1
I turned off the movie 40 minutes into it. It was that bad. Rajini is OLD. Fans must accept this and let this old man move on.
What you mean by turned off the movie - walked out?
Old 9th June 2018, 21:21   #1099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What you mean by turned off the movie - walked out?
The HD print is already out on the internet. So it can be turned off
Old 10th June 2018, 18:22   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kaala
One hollow movie with no substance. Boring, predictable, long, beaten-to-death story line. The only good thing in the movie was the Black Thar which again is sadly burnt. It cannot be even saved by Rajini's stylish moves as there are very few of those too. Absolutely missable!
My rating 1/5.
+1. Nothing unique or new about the story, screenplay or execution. The productions values also seemed very average considering it is a Rajini film.

Acting was pretty good though.
Old 23rd September 2018, 19:59   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

Thread has been pretty quiet.

Varathan-Malayalam-Fahad Faasil-Aishwarya Lekshmi-Amal Neerad: A slow burn thriller. With Amal Neerads direction, brilliant camera work and back ground music backed by excellent acting by the whole cast led of course by Fahad and Aishwarya, the movies slowly creeps on to you before exploding into a great climax. Real good watch and should be watched in theater.

Fahad's effortless acting really makes it hard to take your eyes off him. Have been a big fan of Aishwarya post her performance in Mayanadhi and she matches Fahad here. Sharaffudin comes as the villain and is brilliant.

On a side note- It is said to be influenced by the 1971 movie Straw Dogs.

Rating 4/5
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:21   #1102
Team-BHP Support

Watched this Mani Ratnam movie last week with not much expectations, as his last movie starting Karthi was a semi-torture! However, this one really impressed when it comes to the plot. Arvind Swamy, Vijay Sethupathy and Jyothika were noticeably brilliant in their roles.
Old 3rd October 2018, 14:45   #1103
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw 4 Kannada movies in quick succession (quick by my standards).

1. Katheyondu Shuruvagide-August 2nd
2. Sarkari Hiriya Prathamika Shaale, Kasaragodu, Koduge: Ramanna Rai-August 26th
3. Ondalla Eradalla-August 30th
4. Ambi ninge Vayasaytho-September 29th

Katheyondu Shuruvagide
This one was a premiere show with all the lead actors and other celebrities. Only advantage was that we could take selfies with them Although I don't do that usually, friends with me wanted to and I just joined in.
Apart from Diganth, almost all are from the new brigade of actors seen mostly in supporting roles in Ondu motteya kathe and Kirik Party. As most of them are from the coastal belt, the plot is also set in a coastal area. All actors have done justice to their roles. Surprisingly Diganth has given a decent performance as the owner of a resort that's doing losses and trying to impress one of the last guests who becomes his love interest in the end. It's mostly 2 love stories among 4 lead characters narrated well. good humour, nice locales, nice camera work and good songs. We liked it.
I'd rate it 3.5/5

Sarkari Hiriya Prathamika Shaale, Kasaragodu, Koduge: Ramanna Rai
This one was a highly anticipated movie. This was a dream project of director Rishabh Shetty starring Ananth Nag in a pivotal role. The trailer was awesome. The story is set in Kasaragodu and deals with closing down of a Government Kannada medium school in that town because it is now part of Kerala and efforts of it's students to keep it open.
It's a wonderful thing that the Kannada film industry got this group of movie makers who show stories set in parts of Karnataka which is hardly shown in Kannada movies and they tell them naturally and beautifully.
This movie has lovely humor and beautiful camera work. Songs are well composed and lyrics have meanings(unlike some useless Kannada songs of other movies) and gel with the story-line.
However I felt that this being the director's dream project, he has got a bit carried away with it. The story doesn't move in the first half and suddenly there seems to be a sense of urgency to it in the last half to give it a good closure. It could have been much better with a couple of songs removed and some more scenes not dragged as much. More focus on the story would've made it a 5 star movie.
It's a very good watch though where you can have a good laugh with friends and family.
I'd rate it 3.5/5

Ondalla Eradalla
I won couple tickets to this movie on a FM radio contest during one of the infamous traffic jams in my city!!! Hence this was on a weekday evening. It's another movie from the new breed of movie makers but frankly speaking was average IMO(even though it had high iMDb ratings). Apart from good camera work and nice comedy in the first half, there is nothing in the movie. As the title of the movie suggests, there are not one or two, but innumerable twists and turns in the plot that in the end it leaves us confused. Since I didn't pay a penny, it's ok but otherwise I wouldn't have returned satisfied.
I'd rate it 2.5/5

Ambi ninge Vayasaytho
It is a remake of a Tamil movie Pa Pandi. A nice family entertainer. Fans of both Ambareesh and Sudeep will be disappointed as this is not the usual genre of movies that they do. It was more of an emotional message conveyed in a nice way. Good light humour and melodious music good for humming. All the actors have done done good justice to their roles. Good watch. The icing on the cake...it was a free ticket thanks to some voucher code given by a friend
I'd rate it 3.5/5

A 5th one on October 1st
The Early Man
Replace normal motion picture to Animation.
Replace Indian villagers with Stone age people.
Replace English people with Bronze age people.
Replace Cricket with Soccer.
In short, it's a Lagaan remake IMO.
I'd rate it 3/5

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd October 2018 at 15:13.
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:21   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Saw 4 Kannada movies in quick succession (quick by my standards).

Sarkari Hiriya Prathamika Shaale, Kasaragodu, Koduge: Ramanna Rai
This one was a highly anticipated movie. This was a dream project of director Rishabh Shetty starring Ananth Nag in a pivotal role. The trailer was awesome. The story is set in Kasaragodu and deals with closing down of a Government Kannada medium school in that town because it is now part of Kerala and efforts of it's students to keep it open.
It's a wonderful thing that the Kannada film industry got this group of movie makers who show stories set in parts of Karnataka which is hardly shown in Kannada movies and they tell them naturally and beautifully.
This movie has lovely humor and beautiful camera work. Songs are well composed and lyrics have meanings(unlike some useless Kannada songs of other movies) and gel with the story-line.
However I felt that this being the director's dream project, he has got a bit carried away with it. The story doesn't move in the first half and suddenly there seems to be a sense of urgency to it in the last half to give it a good closure. It could have been much better with a couple of songs removed and some more scenes not dragged as much. More focus on the story would've made it a 5 star movie.
It's a very good watch though where you can have a good laugh with friends and family.
I'd rate it 3.5/5
I watched Sarkari... with family two weeks back and personally liked it very much.

Apart from taking a serious subject as the story Rishab has carried on the movie well from the start showing how the kids enjoy their schools, play etc etc. I liked mostly all the songs and even now see them in YT often with my five year old daughter also demanding those to be shown to her.

Except that I didn't like one or two scenes which are in police station, I felt its a must watch movie.

Off all the cast, I liked the Mammutty and Bhujanga characters very much, they make it seem very natural.

Also I quite liked the entry scene of Upadhaya and tried to find his entry scene and following scenes on YT but didn't find them.

I rate it 4.5/5

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 3rd October 2018 at 15:22.
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:27   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I watched Sarkari... with family two weeks back and personally liked it very much.

Apart from taking a serious subject as the story Rishab has carried on the movie well from the start showing how the kids enjoy their schools, play etc etc. I liked mostly all the songs and even now see them in YT often with my five year old daughter also demanding those to be shown to her.

Except that I didn't like one or two scenes which are in police station, I felt its a must watch movie.

Off all the cast, I liked the Mammutty and Bhujanga characters very much, they make it seem very natural.

Also I quite liked the entry scene of Upadhaya and tried to find his entry scene and following scenes on YT but didn't find them.

I rate it 4.5/5
To each his own. Good subject, nicely conveyed without being preachy, natural acting, Script demanded showing kids enjoying school...I agree to all.

However, what I felt could've been better...

1. The songs are all nice, but it takes too much of screen time without adding much to the story IMO. The Praveena-Pallavi love story also shouldn't have taken so much of screen time IMO.
2. Like the police station scene, scenes with Ramesh Bhat were totally a waste of time I felt. He is just wasted.
3. The character played by Ananth Nag is shown to be a fake Social worker. But then what transformed him to actually help the kids? I felt that there should've been something shown where he feels that he should actually help the kids. A moment of realization kind of scene which is totally absent

Because of these, in the last 5 minutes, the story is over abruptly I felt! with points #1 and #2 taking lesser time and more time for point #3, it could've been a 5-star movie I felt.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd October 2018 at 16:28.
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:32   #1106
BHPian

Just that I quoted your post, I was not at all contradicting your view

Quote:
To each his own. Good subject, nicely conveyed without being preachy, natural acting, Script demanded showing kids enjoying school...I agree to all.

However, what I felt could've been better...

1. The songs are all nice, but it takes too much of screen time without adding much to the story IMO. The Praveena-Pallavi love story also shouldn't have taken so much of screen time IMO.
2. Like the police station scene, scenes with Ramesh Bhat were totally a waste of time I felt. He is just wasted.
Yes, I have the same view.

Quote:
3. The character played by Ananth Nag is shown to be a fake Social worker. But then what transformed him to actually help the kids? I felt that there should've been something shown where he feels that he should actually help the kids. A moment of realization kind of scene which is totally absent
Sort of you are right, the rationale for him to help is not brought out properly, only that in one of the scenes in police station he mentions he was also a teacher and did something during his time, but proper reasoning is not there for his action.

Quote:
Because of these, in the last 5 minutes, the story is over abruptly I felt! with points #1 and #2 taking lesser time and more time for point #3, it could've been a 5-star movie I felt.
Right, the court scene was good, but it just got over abruptly.
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:40   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Just that I quoted your post, I was not at all contradicting your view
Yes, I totally understood. Movies are highly subjective and that's what I meant by "to each his own". I didn't take your opinion as a contradiction at all to mine
I just elaborated my reasons for a 3.5 rating
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:11   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Saw "Hemlock Society" (Bengali, 2012) - an interesting & current theme, with euthanasia making headlines recently.
Even I watched this movie recently and liked it. Nice message delivered with a dash of dark-humour.

Being a "probashi" Bengali, I unfortunately never got much taste of Bengali movies or literature. Trying to change that a bit by watching Bengali movies. Especially with quality content on Prime Videos and Hotstar, it's getting easier to watch/follow.

Some of the movies I have recently watched are:
  1. Jaatishwar - My favourite out of the lot. Fantastic movie with excellent story, acting and songs. A must watch for everyone.
  2. Hemlock Society - described above
  3. Uma - a nice story with a good mixture of emotions and a bit of masala. Overall a good watch.
  4. Baishe Srabon - Excellent thriller. Won't reveal much about it.
  5. Khaad - A good commentary on life.
  6. Macher Jhol - Good one time watch.
  7. Meghe Dhaka Tara (2013) - A bit too artistic for me. Watched it as my dad used to be a follower of Ritwik Ghatak.
  8. Nirbashito - Beautiful story about a writer in exile and her pet cat. Based on Taslima Nasreen's life.
  9. Cinemawala - I have pretty much become a fan of Kaushik Ganguly (not sure if it's because we share the same last name ) Captures the conflict between the past and present beautifully.
Old 5th October 2018, 00:05   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Team, what are the recent must watch Malayalam, Tamil & Telugu family type movies. I dont follow Telugu much but still watch with family.

Want the kids to be connected to the language and culture. Big issue when you are abroad.
Old 5th October 2018, 06:44   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Team, what are the recent must watch Malayalam, Tamil & Telugu family type movies. I dont follow Telugu much but still watch with family.

Want the kids to be connected to the language and culture. Big issue when you are abroad.
A recent one I can suggest is 'Aravindante Athithikal'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks