Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2019, 14:00   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What about people like me, who are fans who also want to see a proper fleshed-out character? :-)

Not sure if anyone else noticed - but the two vehicles Mohanlal uses in the movie, an HM Ambassador and a Willys Jeep, both have the same number (KLT 666 and KLQ 666).
The number 666 is supposed to signify the devil (in this case Lucifer). So most likely the numbers may be made to look that way.
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:03   #1247
vdi
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure if anyone else noticed - but the two vehicles Mohanlal uses in the movie, an HM Ambassador and a Willys Jeep, both have the same number (KLT 666 and KLQ 666).
There was a RE too with 666 and that scene got deleted in the final version. Saw this on insta.
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:15   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is a Hindustan Landmaster, not HM Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
There was a RE too with 666 and that scene got deleted in the final version. Saw this on insta.
You can see the RE parked when Mohanlal goes to take his jeep to go to the timber factory, and yes - it spots 666 number.

--Anoop
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:42   #1249
Distinguished - BHPian

Although Lucifer appears as a mass masala movie, thinking about it post watching -Especially after the climax got me rewinding the movie and see some of the scenes in new light. Definitely not as shallow as I initially thought.
Old 4th April 2019, 01:20   #1250
Distinguished - BHPian

Lucifer 3/5 : Felt it as an average movie. I think I loved T20 much much more and Pulimurugan much more than this. Slow pace, unwanted item song and a normal plot. The climax injected some drama though. Loved Vivek Oberoi for his acting. A little more weight in his tone would have lend a better character I believe.

Super Deluxe 4/5 : The first half is a laugh riot. Second half drags and it looked like the directed lost his way. Mishkin's rant was super irritating and the story also got a little predictable towards the ending. They could have trimmed it much better. The kid got some good applause at some stages of the movie, so did Fahad.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th April 2019 at 01:21.
Old 5th April 2019, 13:19   #1251
BHPian

Lucifer

After reading a lot of reviews and hearing varying comments, I also decided to go and watch the movie. Post watching, I realised this is one of those kinda movie that can be rated just like that

Initial review and rating : A mass movie made specifically for Mohanlal die hard fans. With punch dialogues, Lalettan walks and talks, camera angles, some punchy bg music, slow motions and superbly choreographed stunts with martial arts thrown in. Beyond that, considering the script was by Murali Gopi, the expectation was for a hard hitting political drama which was totally lost. It appeared more like the Sagar alias Jackie movie. Even the kids who came, in the age group of 6-12 yrs (incl boys and girls), dint enjoy it as there were not much jokes or good songs. So all in all I would have to rate it 1.5 or 2 /5.

BUT

For some reason, the more I think about the movie, its not just a normal mass movie or infact a movie just for hardcore Mohanlal fans. And the story is not as simple as it looks compared to other Mohanlal superhero movies.

One thing that got me thinking was why is Stephen Nedumpally (Mohanlals character) being called lucifer (satan in Christianity), iblees (satan in Islam) or ravana (demon in hindu mythology) by one of the characters in the movie. Since Stephen is being shown as a good guy throughout - doing charity work, running an orphanage, totally against drug mafia and taking care of family. The villain should have been given these names. And the vehicle used by Mohanlal all had the number 666 (satans number). So who is Stephen Nedumpally actually and what is his background. Though he tells a flashback story to the heroine Manju Warrier at one point, in the very next scene the flash back story changes when he talks with the church priest. Also a flashback scene is flashed when he walks into PKR's office to meet Vivek Oberoi. And nothing more is shown on this.

Now for those who have not watched the movie, I dont want to give out too much of the story or plot out here. But i feel the story is not just the political track though its been shown from a political view point. The story has far more depth.

The movie I think has lot of clues right from the first scene - the dialogues, the body language of various characters in Stephen Nedumpallys team and even during the final credits. Considering the script is by Murali Gopi, I dont think he would write just a normal mass movie. Infact i feel the story is way above normal Kerala or even Indian movie standards, though the movie as such has lot of mass elements to cater to the normal movie crowds and Mohanlal fans. But to decipher the story properly might put in the levels of some of the international movies.

So for the story I would surely give it a 4.5/5.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 5th April 2019 at 13:23.
Old 7th April 2019, 02:34   #1252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Considering the script is by Murali Gopi, I dont think he would write just a normal mass movie.
Or in other words - the script was so bad with so many lose ends, people are just refusing to believe it and trying to make better sense of it all.

I'm in that stage too.
Old 7th April 2019, 07:32   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Lucifer

A Fan boy movie seemingly made by a fan. Nothing great other than some dialogues and punch lines.

As a Lalettan fan, you would probably enjoy as I did. My wife however was playing Candy crush in the hall.

What disappointed me was that Mohanlal looked pretty one dimensioned in the movie. Not that there was any scope. But still it looked like he had only one face throughout the movie.
Old 14th April 2019, 12:44   #1254
BHPian

Lucifer...

From a fan boy perspective... It had everything. I'd rate it 4/5

From a neutral perspective... a theme done to death in malayalam movies, just the stars change from Mohanlal to Mammutty to Suresh Gopi.... Well this the neutral hat on I'd say 2/5
Old 16th April 2019, 22:17   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
the two vehicles Mohanlal uses in the movie, an HM Ambassador and a Willys Jeep
Wasn't there was a disproportionate number of Mercedes-Benz cars in Lucifer?

Any chance MB had a hand in that?

On a similar note, long long ago (around 2013), there was this Anoop Menon movie Hotel California (trash ― don't watch it), and everybody in it was driving a Mercedes
Old 17th April 2019, 08:07   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Kumbalangi Nights. A near perfect movie. Just awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Kumbalangi Nights-Malayalam- Ensemble cast
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This is what a group of brilliant actors can do with an ordinary story.
Can't agree more with your comments especially as someone mentioned Soubin did an amazing job as Fahad if not better.
Again no hint that this is coming from a debut director.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Although Lucifer appears as a mass masala movie, thinking about it post watching -Especially after the climax got me rewinding the movie and see some of the scenes in new light. Definitely not as shallow as I initially thought.
Even I'm on the same boat.

Joseph - Even Joseph was a good one time watch

Cheers!
Old 17th April 2019, 22:54   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
BUT

For some reason, the more I think about the movie, its not just a normal mass movie or infact a movie just for hardcore Mohanlal fans. And the story is not as simple as it looks compared to other Mohanlal superhero movies.

The movie I think has lot of clues right from the first scene - the dialogues, the body language of various characters in Stephen Nedumpallys team and even during the final credits. Considering the script is by Murali Gopi, I dont think he would write just a normal mass movie. Infact i feel the story is way above normal Kerala or even Indian movie standards, though the movie as such has lot of mass elements to cater to the normal movie crowds and Mohanlal fans. But to decipher the story properly might put in the levels of some of the international movies.

So for the story I would surely give it a 4.5/5.
I think you've got a bit too overboard with your review and rating! It is a very ordinary story - made to look larger than life with the star cast. This story is nowhere near international standards for sure!

I don't know if the script writer and director are planning a sequel - if they are, I'll watch that one and then analyse the depth of this story. However with just Lucifer 1.0 to look at, it's a very ordinary South Indian movie. Definitely worth a watch with the start studded cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Or in other words - the script was so bad with so many lose ends, people are just refusing to believe it and trying to make better sense of it all
Tend to agree with CD!
Old 18th April 2019, 07:57   #1258
Team-BHP Support

Lucifer 3/5
I won’t call it an intelligent movie, but it is an intelligently made and marketed movie.
Murali Gopy mixed in his Dan Brown inspirations and Indian politics quite well, and finally managed a hit movie (I still feel Left Right Left is his best work to-date).

In my circle I always had this view that Prithviraj is a bad actor but has a good market/business sense. Here for Lucifer he cleverly created a notion of going against stereotypes while using all the available stereo types.
As a director I am quite impressed with him, great performances extracted from almost every actor (except himself**) from Mohanlal to Baiju . And no doubt that he will soon become one of the most successful commercial director in Malayalam cinema.

**While discussing the movie with my cousin sister (who is a RJ in one of the radio stations in Kochi), I mentioned my displeasure over the extended cameo by the director. And her reaction was “Ignore that he did that role, It’s a goonda role and anyone can do it”
– True that, but probably a bigger role is in the offing in future installments

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Kumbalangi Nights

Although I found Mahesh's Revenge better than this, Kumbalangi Nights should be definitely watched.

Rating - 4.5/5
Totally agree! The movie was just brilliant. I like the movie which goes at its own pace, each character has space and definition, and still doesn’t drag for a moment. 4.5/5
Old 18th April 2019, 09:09   #1259
Distinguished - BHPian

Athiran

Shutter Island comes to mind when you see this movie. You will guess a part of the climax in an hour and the entire thing soon after because it's a mix of many Hollywood movies. Fahad was good as usual but somehow I couldn't digest Sai Pallavi's acting. And the dude who dubbed for Prakashraj was bad. Some scenes felt very long and unnecessary. It was an interesting story but spoiled by the poor screenplay and acting.

Rating - 2/5
Old 20th April 2019, 11:00   #1260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Lucifer 3/5
I won’t call it an intelligent movie, but it is an intelligently made and marketed movie.

In my circle I always had this view that Prithviraj is a bad actor but has a good market/business sense. Here for Lucifer he cleverly created a notion of going against stereotypes while using all the available stereo types.
That perfectly sums it up. He managed to create and retain an aura around the movie. Executed it very well and extracted excellent performances.

Folks in my family wanted to watch and I tagged along again. Most characters get a couple of very good scenes to perform. In fact the most massy scene in my opinion belonged to Tovino. Very nicely done.

And extending the point on his business sense-No doubt that he had already planned for a sequel (or prequel), they way he set it up at the end with Shakti Kapoor also coming in.

Also saw Madhuraraja- Mammootty's sequel to Pokiriraja. If you are the type that enjoyed Pokiriraja (which I did) , you can just about sit through this one for Mammootty.

Most Viewed