Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:49   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Caught up with Oru Kupprasidha Payyan. Amazing movie (I love courtroom dramas!) and Nimisha Sajayan rightfully earned the state award for the best actress this year. She did her role of an inexperienced defence counsel and the gradual transition to a composed, self-reliant one, amazingly well. Tovino, too did a great job. Please do watch!

Didn't quite know that it was based on a true story.
Is this available on any streaming platform?
Old 25th August 2019, 13:24   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Watched Janamaithri on Amazon Prime. I did not have high expectations of the film, but all of my family liked the movie. It is a film without any big stars. It is good to see a comedy film with clean situational comedy rather than slapstick variety and without any double-meaning dialogues.
Old 25th August 2019, 21:26   #1353
Distinguished - BHPian

Janamaithri was a nice TV watch. Modeled on the Aadu series. Not as over the top as Aadu. Which made it kind of a better watch.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:40   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Watched Thanneer Mathan Dhinangal yesterday. Would give it 3.5/5. Loved the way the kids acted and the way the story was told. The movie keeps you smiling most of the time, at least it did so for me. I feel it is something that even adults can watch and enjoy.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:44   #1355
Distinguished - BHPian

Ended my Sunday on an awesome note by watching Alex in Wonderland on amazon prime. 2 hrs of absolutely nuanced homage to the greats of tamil cinema vocalists and composers. Loved the subtle satire and wordplay. A must for all of those who have enjoyed tamil music and movies over many decades.

would rate is a 4.5/5

Old 26th August 2019, 17:43   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Janamaithri was a nice TV watch. Modeled on the Aadu series. Not as over the top as Aadu. Which made it kind of a better watch.
I started watching it, but stopped in the middle feeling it is a bit of a drag. I didn't especially like the title sequence. Maybe I will give it another chance.
Old 26th August 2019, 20:41   #1357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Ended my Sunday on an awesome note by watching Alex in Wonderland on amazon prime. 2 hrs of absolutely nuanced homage to the greats of tamil cinema vocalists and composers. Loved the subtle satire and wordplay. A must for all of those who have enjoyed tamil music and movies over many decades.

would rate is a 4.5/5
Was in two minds whether to watch or now. After your post, just watched it. Very nice. Loved it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th August 2019 at 22:35. Reason: Removing Youtube URLs from the quoted post = repetition. Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 13:39   #1358
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched 3 movies in the last week on hotstar and Amazon prime

Ispade rajavum idhaya raniyum (Tamil)
The plot is a modern day love story between an over aggressive angry young guy from a middle class family and a bold girl from a rich family. The guy has a broken childhood and the girl is already engaged to a guy selected by her family.
Absolutely nothing movie. has no real story, average performances and a total waste of my time. It feels similar like another superhit stupid movie Arjun Reddy.

I'd rate it 1/5

Dear comrade (Telugu)
After the above mentioned Tamil movie, I thought let me watch some other movie and watched this Telugu flick. somehow felt both are similar in some ways. However, Dear comrade was a little less stupid I felt. Vijay Deverakonda, Rashmika Mandanna and performances by other actors are all decent, but there's hardly anything in the movie that can be termed good.

I'd rate this 2/5

One thing that I was amazed is that these movies show that it's so simple to just pack a small suitcase and vanish on a solo bike ride to Ladakh. I know it's easy these days but what they show is IMO a little too much.

Minugurulu (Telugu)
It'a about a poor small village boy who loses his eyesight and ends up in a government school/hostel for blind children. the school/hostel is run by a guy who's an alcoholic gambler. This warden role is played by Ashish vidhyarthi. He also uses government grants for his habits and runs the school/hostel in a bad shape. He even tries to push a blind girl into prostitution to clear all his personal debts. The plot is about how these children get together and film a video with the help of a few others and expose the sad state of affairs. A well made movie with good performances by everyone Suhasini plays a special appearance in the role of a DC.

Very good watch...I'd rate it 4/5

Edit: Only now I came to know that this is a 2012 movie and has won several national and international awards. It definitely deserves them IMO.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th September 2019 at 13:53.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:13   #1359

Hello All,

Looking forward to watch some race based movies i.e. car racing, marathon, cycling etc, are there any tamil, telugu or hindi movies that depict racing. Please recommend. BTW there was one in Kannada recently called panchatantra
Old 6th September 2019, 08:37   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
Looking forward to watch some race based movies i.e. car racing, marathon, cycling etc, are there any tamil, telugu or hindi movies that depict racing.
Not a "race-based movie" as such (it is classified as a "coming of age movie"), but bike racing is a key plot point and therefore has quite a lot of coverage in the 2014 Malayalam hit, Bangalore Days.

There is an upcoming Malayalam movie called Finals in which Rajisha Vijayan is a cyclist training for the 2020 Olympics. Possibly of the type you are looking for. Teaser that came a week or so back here:

Old 6th September 2019, 18:22   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Watched 3 movies in the last week on hotstar and Amazon prime

Ispade rajavum idhaya raniyum (Tamil)
I'd rate it 1/5

Dear comrade (Telugu)
I'd rate this 2/5

One thing that I was amazed is that these movies show that it's so simple to just pack a small suitcase and vanish on a solo bike ride to Ladakh. I know it's easy these days but what they show is IMO a little too much.
Watched the exact same movies, and one more crappy Tamil movie last weekend and ended up ruining my weekend mood completely.

Ispade Rajavum idhaya Raniyum - I liked the songs too much and hence took the pain to find the movie and spend time watching it. Absolutely no story! Angry hero, glorify him, heroine though bold and outward with others, keeps coming back to this angry monster of a guy all the way to the climax. Weird movie.

Dear Comrade - Again angry hero, tolerant heroine, but at least this heroine has something worthwhile to do with her own life and at some point chucks this guy out of her life - ya only to unite at the climax but at least she made a strong decision.

One silly thing with both these movies, go to Himalayas as if it was just 150 km away from where they live. Soul searching happens in Himalayas, when you shut everyone and everything and go there and get lost is what both these movies tried to convey I guess.

If I continue watching more such movies, I might have to take a trip to Himalayas myself to recover and redeem myself

Best part: I streamed both these for free, so time was all that I lost. Cannot imagine my state after having spent 4-5 hours and about 1000 INR to catch these on the big screen!
Old 9th September 2019, 13:12   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Ittymani Made In China: A comedy movie from debutante directors featuring Mohanlal. I would describe the movie as "Watchable". The movie is good for some laughs. The Mohanlal-Siddique thread or Mohanlal as a counterfeiter thread would have been interesting if they were explored more in the movie. I would count that as a lost opportunity. The interval comes at an interesting point with a twist, but then it falls to predictable lines in the second half. The second half has a social message, but the last scene was like extra tuition on top of the preaching in the climax
Old 9th September 2019, 15:59   #1363
BHPian

And the Oscar goes too

Simple movie with nothing much to say about. No over the top dramatics. Some really touching scenes. Tovino took it perfectly till the end. A very realistic acting from Tovino without too much theatrics.

3/5 any day

FundaG
Old 9th September 2019, 18:42   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
Hello All,

Looking forward to watch some race based movies i.e. car racing, marathon, cycling etc, are there any tamil, telugu or hindi movies that depict racing. Please recommend. BTW there was one in Kannada recently called panchatantra
Not sure if you've already watched but the Tamil movie 'Ethir Neechal' is about Marathon and is a good watch with very good music by Anirudh. It's available in Hotstar.
Old 9th September 2019, 23:59   #1365
BHPian

June (2019) Malayalam
Streaming on Hotstar with English subtitles,

This is a simple movie about the journey of a teenaged girl and her life from class 11th to her professional life.
The movie invites you to walk in the footsteps of a girl.
This movie made me reminisce about my college days and my crushes and so forth.

Would highly recommend it to all the romantics at heart.

Last edited by Ithaca : 10th September 2019 at 00:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks