Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 00:22   #1366
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Watching Love Action Drama (Malayalam) at Inox, Sobha Mall, TCR. A real waste of money. Avoid.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:38   #1367
Senior - BHPian

People who are interested in watching some good/very good tamil movies of the 80s, I would recommend the below ones

1. Sirai
2. Oomai Vizhigal
3. Kadar Karai Dhagam
4. Rendum Rendum Anji.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:56   #1368
Distinguished - BHPian

Since most of my friends advised me to stay away from the Onam release (the 3 big ones), I decided to watch something that was gaining positive reviews.

Finals
A sports drama, but more of an emotional drama (based on a true story). Can't compete with other sports dramas that we have seen in the past but makes it for a good watch. The camera was pretty good showing the beauty of Kattapana and the BGM/music was also good. The lead actors have done a good job especially Niranj who has improved his acting. But Suraj shines in this with his serious acting and wish he takes up more roles like this.

Rating - 4/5
Old 29th September 2019, 17:23   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Hearing rave reviews about Malayalam movie Jallikattu. People say it is a real Oscar worthy film. It premiered at Toronto International Film Festival and received rave reviews. I think it is releasing in India this week.

Here is rottentomatoes editorial mentioning the film

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...ll-blow-minds/

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th September 2019 at 17:29.
Old 30th September 2019, 07:30   #1370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Finals
A sports drama, but more of an emotional drama (based on a true story). Can't compete with other sports dramas that we have seen in the past but makes it for a good watch...
Rating - 4/5
Isnt this from Rajisha? The girl seems to be picking the right movies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Hearing rave reviews about Malayalam movie Jallikattu. People say it is a real Oscar worthy film. It premiered at Toronto International Film Festival and received rave reviews. I think it is releasing in India this week....
Lijo seems to have a golden touch and loves to experiment. All his recent movies are super hit and none deals with an extraordinary plot / characters.
Old 30th September 2019, 10:34   #1371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Isnt this from Rajisha? The girl seems to be picking the right movies!!
Yes it is. Some of her recent movies have been pretty good.
Old 18th October 2019, 13:28   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Brother's Day (Malayalam): Watched this one on Amazon Prime. There was some good comedy during the first 30-45 minutes, especially with Dharmajan and Vijayaraghavan's characters. Thereafter, it was all downhill. By the end, we were all wondering, "What the hell was that?"
Old 19th October 2019, 12:52   #1373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Brother's Day (Malayalam): Watched this one on Amazon Prime. There was some good comedy during the first 30-45 minutes, especially with Dharmajan and Vijayaraghavan's characters. Thereafter, it was all downhill. By the end, we were all wondering, "What the hell was that?"
What a movie indeed (if it can be called that!). Prithviraj as usual struggle with comedy, it will be best for him to do roles which demand just brooding stone faced look.

Probably its good for Shajon to just stay with acting and avoid writing/direction, and the opposite for Prithviraj - I feel he is a better director than an actor.
Old 19th October 2019, 17:02   #1374
BHPian

Really surprising nobody from our group has posted anything about "Asuran" starring Dhanush & Manju Warrier and directed by Vetrimaran who has made films like Visaranai, Vada Chennai etc

The first half keeps you at the edge of the seat, after interval the movie slows a bit but it's compensated by a good climax

The performance by Dhanush is extraordinary & award worthy, while the rest of the cast are also competent.

This one is best enjoyed on the big screen.
Old 19th October 2019, 22:25   #1375
BHPian

Subscribed to SUNNXT for Rs 480 pa.

Saw to see Rakshasudu the official Telugu remake of Ratsasan with English subtitles.
The only reason I subscribed to SUNNXT was to see Rakshasudu as my mom was seeing its promos on various Telugu movie channels. And the price was not that exorbitant too.

Followed this with Koushalya Krishnamurthi - the Telugu remake of the Tamil movie Kanaa staring Aishwarya Rajesh in the lead. Again with subtitles on SUNNXT.
This movie is about a farmer who is obsessed with cricket and this encourages his daughter to pick up the game and her journey thus.

Saw Nani's Gang Leader on Prime. Time pass movie about 5 ladies of different ages who take the help of a plagiarist to solve the murder of their loved ones who were killed during the commission of a robbery.
Nice to see RX100 Karthikeya as the villain here.

Saaho in Telugu just dropped on Amazon Prime - will eventually see it.

In the interim also saw both Mission Mangal on Netflix & Batla House on Prime.

In November Gaddalakonda Ganesh - the remake of Jigarthanda will drop on Hotstar and hopefully iSmartShankar will be telecast on Zee Telugu for Diwali.
Busy times ahead.

Last edited by Ithaca : 19th October 2019 at 22:29.
Old 19th October 2019, 22:44   #1376
BHPian

Watched Jallikettu today. The story line is thin hence the movie ends in 90 minutes. Good that the Director did not drag the movie with songs and dances like Odiyan. I liked the cinematography and the crowd scenes at night. Its not a must watch, instead you can wait for a streaming version to be released.
Old 21st October 2019, 10:58   #1377
BHPian

Brother's Day - What an absolute waste of time? At the end of it I was like - what was that?

Initially it was entertaining for about 45 mins or so.

it almost looked like Shajon had a few different stories to tell, and he stitched them all together into one movie.
Old 21st October 2019, 20:04   #1378
BHPian

Movie: Otha Seruppu Size 7
Language : Tamil
Review : 10/5

Well it's not a typo.. I'll give the movie 10 stars out of 5. It's an one man's show for 2 hrs and you'll never feel you're just watching one person on the screen. And if you think (like how I did) how could you possibly watch just one person in one room for the entire 2 hours then you're in for a surprise in terms of experience.

An awesome movie with even more awesome dialogues with witty one-liners and word plays.

You will appreciate it if you understand Tamil as most of them are word plays. A must watch for movie buffs.
Old 27th October 2019, 23:43   #1379
Senior - BHPian

The Regional movies thread!

Asuran and Kaithi, Two Tamil movies that have redefined commercial Tamil cinema in every way!
While Asuran was all about performances of all the actors involved, Kaithi stood out in its screenplay and ability to hold viewers. Except for the big opening days of Vijay and Ajith films, Tamil cinema is fast moving in to a zone where only good movies are being recognised and commercially rewarded.
Old 28th October 2019, 17:13   #1380
BHPian

Tried watching "Ittymaani: Made in China" in amazon prime. Couldn't get past the first half an hour! Strictly Avoid. It was especially irritating to hear the fake Thrissur accent by Mohanlal and most of the other actors. I have always felt that Mohanlal cannot master the skill of talking in different accents unlike Mammootty who is an expert. Jayasurya too had authentic Thrissur accent in his movies.

Most Viewed