Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2019, 17:54   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishfull View Post
the fake Thrissur accent by Mohanlal [...] Mohanlal cannot master the skill of talking in different accents
*cough* *cough* Thoovanathumbikal *cough* *cough*
Old 29th October 2019, 16:23   #1382
BHPian

Saw Kaithi yesterday. A good movie. Excellent acting by Narain, George Maryan & Arjun Dass. Yes, it's Karthi's film and he has done an excellent job. On the whole the entire cast were apt in this film.

I don't know why, but seeing this film reminded me of, The Raid (Korean Film).

Rating : 4/5
Old 29th October 2019, 21:54   #1383
BHPian

Watched 2 movies during the weekend - one regional , the other international

Bigil
Was forced to go to for this movie based on good reviews from some relatives of my better half and rating in bookmyshow and IMDB. It was the first Vijay movie I was watching in theatre. Vijay fans pls dont feel offended. I never felt going to a theatre to watch a Vijay movie till date, hence. So about Bigil - felt it was a mashup of Basha (Rajnikanth) and Chak de (SRK). One thing I coudnt figure out was why Vijay was called Bigil (whistle) when his actual name is Michael. Just to bring a story twist!!! Infact at one point of the movie, I thought there were 3 Vijays - father, Bigil and Michael. . Which was not unusual as almost all ARR musicals of Vijay had him in double and triple roles.

Also the football matches didnt create the kinda feel like in other similar sport movies Lagaan, Chak de, Dangal or some of the hollywood movies.The graphics and visuals looked like more of a computer game with unrealistic game play. And female empowerment angle (with Singa Penne song) appeared to be just a namesake when the whole movie revolved around Vijay and the only time he was not in a scene was in the opening 5 minutes before his mass entry.

Rating : 1.5/5 . Good to watch on TV as a timepass.

The international movie was Joker.Being a regional movie thread, no further review on this.

FundaG
Old 30th October 2019, 09:59   #1384
Distinguished - BHPian

This is probably my first post on this thread since I dont watch too many movies nowadays but there are two really good Malayalam movies that I must recommend to fellow forum members. Both are available on Amazon Prime with English subtitles, so they are easy to watch.

- Kumbalangi Nights
Just beautiful. Great direction, acting, storytelling, cinematography and music. It really does a masterful job of depicting life in this part of the country. If you have plonked yourself in front of your TV and dont know what movie to pick, do yourself a favour and watch this masterpiece in movie making.

- Virus
It is based on the Nipah virus outbreak in Kerala. Before watching the movie, I was expecting a cheesy, commercialized take on the entire situation but the movie was very well shot and had a good pace to it. The way it interwove different perspectives of the patients, doctors, officials and politicians was just about perfect.

I have become a big fan of Soubin Shahir, my goodness his performance in both movies was a treat for sore eyes. I hope he finds continued success in the movie industry.
Old 2nd November 2019, 13:31   #1385
BHPian

Asuran to release on Amazon Prime.
On 08.Nov.2019

As per a reply to a tweet enquiring about the same.

https://twitter.com/amazonhelp/statu...806329344?s=21
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:29   #1386
BHPian

Just opened Amazon Prime

Jallikattu now streaming

Last edited by Ithaca : 3rd November 2019 at 08:34.
Old 3rd November 2019, 22:48   #1387
BHPian

Thoroughly enjoyed Jallikattu.
The underlying theme of the movie is master piece - Though we have evolved as humans, we are still animals and behave no better.
For those on the fence, watch this YouTube review.

Old 8th November 2019, 10:13   #1388
BHPian

Asuran is out in Amazon prime and I just finished watching it! I think Dhanush is an alien! His performance is out of the world! As the old and young Sivasami he just lives the character! The first half was a quick paced one and the second half a bit draggy but not too dragging to get bored. The movie ends with a good climax. Would rate 4/5
Old 9th November 2019, 07:40   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Asuran is out in Amazon prime and I just finished watching it! I think Dhanush is an alien! The first half was a quick paced one and the second half a bit draggy but not too dragging to get bored. The movie ends with a good climax. Would rate 4/5
Saw this movie last evening and was a beauty. Manju Warrier in a deglammed role and Dhanush in an elder role and as the younger version of the same role was a masterclass. Both the actors who played his sons did their jobs well and I was surprised to see Pasupathy playing a docile role instead of being the lead antagonist.

I am surprised nowadays to find newer movies being launched on streaming services within a month of their theatrical release - not that I am complaining. Why should I spend good money to watch them at a theatre when I can wait a month and catch the same movie in the comforts of my home if I do not care for the big screen experience.

Few latest releases that hit the streaming services within a month.
Nani's Gang Leader
Brochevarevarura
Kaapaan
Jallikattu
Asuran
Chanakya (Gopichand movie)
Gaddalakonda Ganesh (Hotstar this month)
Pailwaan
Sahoo

In Hindi too
Section 375
Mission Mangal
Batla House.
Chichhore
Old 9th November 2019, 08:16   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

I am surprised nowadays to find newer movies being launched on streaming services within a month of their theatrical release - not that I am complaining. Why should I spend good money to watch them at a theatre when I can wait a month and catch the same movie in the comforts of my home if I do not care for the big screen experience.

Exactly why it's been close to an year I watched a movie in theatre. Prime membership is free if you have airtel or any other telephone provider postpaid plan. Netflix mobile plan is just ₹200 per month. Hotstar also has some good offers. I can watch the movie anywhere and in mobile or TV. I need not plan for a theatre visit and due to traffic jams, it's very tiring. Top of that , the ticket prices and food prices in the theatre. Instead I buy a ₹20 AcT popcorn and enjoy it at my home
Old 9th November 2019, 09:45   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Jallikattu and Asuran are masterpieces. Sub titles eased the language barrier for me. Thanks to Prime, got to watch both. Don't miss it!. Both are contenders as Indian entry to the Oscars, but they chose Gully Boy - just can't get over this.
Old 10th November 2019, 20:39   #1392
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Jallikettu and Asuran. While Jallikettu was good, did not find it mind blowing as everyone is raving about it. But that was expected as the Lijo Jose Pallisery style of film making is not something I understand too well.

Asuran was excellent due to the brilliant acting.

Also watched the movie 'Otha Seruppu-Size 7' on Netflix. Pretty good one. Only one character- Parthipen. Unique experiment. Worth a watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Exactly why it's been close to an year I watched a movie in theatre. Prime membership is free if you have airtel or any other telephone provider postpaid plan. Netflix mobile plan is just ₹200 per month. Hotstar also has some good offers
Yes. One other thing apart from the movies coming on the streaming platform, is the quality of it. The picture quality is mostly in Ultra HD, and the 5.1 sound quality-Especially in Prime is very good. The audio in the very first scene of the move Jallikettu-If you have 5.1 surround sound is absolutely mind blowing.

Seriously thinking of investing in a 4k Projector to really step it up into a movie theater experience.
Old 10th November 2019, 21:28   #1393
Distinguished - BHPian

Many movies watched over the weekend.

Jallikattu (Malayalam): wonderful camera work. The large aperture shots are just beautiful. The message in the last scene about how wild humans really are is again good. But that's about it...nothing more. Didn't like it as a movie. Men of an entire town going after one wild buffalo is a little too much I felt. I felt it was similar to a Kannada movie Tithi. Nothing in the story, a small topic shown for 2 hours. Feels stretched sometimes. Both movies a success but something that I didn't like! 2/5

Phailwan (Kannada): couldn't watch more than 15 minutes. Nothing more to review 0/5

Geetha (Kannada): a Small story that is worth half a movie. So the director has shown the same with one as the love story of the father and the other as the love story of the son. They've trued to gain some viewership by getting Shankarnag and Kannada in the mix of things. Norhing in it otherwise. 1/5

Evaru (Telugu): A good murder mystery movie . A nice plot with lot of twists and turns. Good watch. 3.5/5

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th November 2019 at 10:54. Reason: Removed potential spoiler.
Old 10th November 2019, 21:31   #1394
BHPian

Expanding on my post #1389 above, I spotted two movies on Hotstar today
Gaddalakonda Ganesh (Telugu) - Official remake of Jigarthanda in Telugu
Comali (Tamil)

Eagerly waiting for Bigil & Kaithi to be streamed soon.
Old 11th November 2019, 10:14   #1395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Also watched the movie 'Otha Seruppu-Size 7' on Netflix. Pretty good one. Only one character- Parthipen. Unique experiment. Worth a watch.
Loved it. Although the concept of just one actor and the whole movie being shot in one room can get boring, his brilliant acting turned it around. Smart thinking by the character too to come out of that tricky situation.

Also caught up with:
Marconi Mathai - Started fine but the climax was very boring. Wish Vijay Sethupathi had a better movie as an introduction to the malayalam industry. Totally wasted it.

Sachin (Malayalam) - Watching it to fall asleep for the last 1 week .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks