Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2020, 22:27   #1441
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Thambi - Directed by Jeethu Joseph (Drishyam Fame) is available on Netflix. Didn't get time to watch it.
Saw it today since I am not a fan of cricket.
First half builds the story and second half ties up all the mysteries together.
Good effort by the Karthi & Jyothika.
One time watch specially for the second half.

Off Topic - Mardaani 2 is out on Prime. The villian is an excellent actor.
Old 18th February 2020, 10:07   #1442
BHPian

Teaser of Muddy is out, a new Malayalam movie based on off-road mud racing. Even though I'm not a big fan of Renji Panicker, this looks like a must watch for us car enthusiasts.

Old 18th February 2020, 19:09   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
No idea. May be

Kathasangama (Kannada)
Kathasangama - 4/5
Thanks for this recco! We loved the movie. The stories and acting that really stood out were Girgitle and Lachhavva. The actor in the last movie has done a really good role. I'd love to know more about her and if she acted in any other movies/shorts?
Old 18th February 2020, 20:23   #1444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Kathasangama - 4/5
Thanks for this recco! We loved the movie. The stories and acting that really stood out were Girgitle and Lachhavva. The actor in the last movie has done a really good role. I'd love to know more about her and if she acted in any other movies/shorts?
The special thing about Lachhavva is that it features all non-professional actors without any previous acting experience. This is similar to Thithi which also featured a bunch of non-professional actors. The real name of Lachhavva is Paravva.
Old 19th February 2020, 17:37   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Watched few movies on Prime which actually covered all 4 south indian languages.

1. Pattas-2/5 just ok, you can watch 1 time. Commrcial flick, though Dhanush has done good job.

2. Amibili: 3.5/5 Dont look for logic, very well directed and Shahir is brilliant! A different type of Movie.

3. Odeya : 2/5 Only for Darshan fans and a typical commercial movie. Watch it if you have nothing else to do.

4. Iddaru Lokam Okate: 2/5 below average acting and storyline is just okay. Liked the background score.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:20   #1446
Distinguished - BHPian

Trance

Went for this purely due to the hype and it did disappoint. I only go for moderate and negative reviews on BMS and it's been correct most of the times. It was true for this one as well (not all that great).

Story can be a bit controversial and they did well to hide it from the trailer. It's very predictable after the initial setting and you can guess what happens after that. BGM was good but Fahadh really stands out and yes, on par with his excellent performances in some of his recent movies or even better. Also loved Gautam's acting (he's coming in few Malayalam movies later on).

Overall, one time watch (go without any expectations).

Rating - 3/5
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:26   #1447
Team-BHP Support

Varane Avashyamundu

The trailer raised a bit of expectations (of a usual Anthikad feel-good movie, with a modern interpretation). But came out a bit disappointed. On the positive side, a good storyline, some competent performances – especially from Suresh Gopi, Urvashi, and Johny Antony was hilarious. And also a good/pleasant debut by Kalyani Priyadarshan. A big letdown was the direction, and the editing looked haywire. Another sore point was the lack of attention to details. For e.g.; dubbing of a certain character had no sync at all. A better director would have done justice to the story in a much better way (even Sr. Anthikad). And personally, I thought Shobana was trying a bit too hard to get it right – and problem was, the effort was showing.

Watch it for Suresh Gopi/Johny Antony, and the freshness of the young lead pair.

Rating – 2.5/5
Old 24th February 2020, 23:19   #1448
BHPian

Ala Vaikunthapuramlo drops on 26th Feb on SunNXT.

Sarileru Neekevvuru drops 2nd March on Prime.

Darbar is out on Prime.
Old 26th February 2020, 13:13   #1449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Ala Vaikunthapuramlo drops on 26th Feb on SunNXT .
Ala Vaikunthapuramlo OTT release scheduled for 29.02.2020. on SunNXT.
Old 28th February 2020, 13:11   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Varane Avashyamundu

A big letdown was the direction, and the editing looked haywire. Another sore point was the lack of attention to details. For e.g.; dubbing of a certain character had no sync at all. A better director would have done justice to the story in a much better way (even Sr. Anthikad). And personally, I thought Shobana was trying a bit too hard to get it right – and problem was, the effort was showing.

Watch it for Suresh Gopi/Johny Antony, and the freshness of the young lead pair.

Rating – 2.5/5
I think it was the script which was a big let down. By the 3/4th of the total run time, the story got over and there was no climax!! And then you had people telling their melodramatic flashback to a third person. A telling her story to B, C telling her story to A, D telling his story to E and then F telling his story to the general public..all in a matter of half an hour just to wrap things up

Sr. Anthikkad may not fare any better - he has always flopped in urban setting in modern stories
Old 28th February 2020, 14:13   #1451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The special thing about Lachhavva is that it features all non-professional actors without any previous acting experience. This is similar to Thithi which also featured a bunch of non-professional actors. The real name of Lachhavva is Paravva.
I watched it after your review.

I enjoyed Utthara,Girgitle and Lachhavva.

Lachhavva is pure gold in terms of realism of acting. Very accurate portrayal of difficulties faced by poor village folks who move to city to make a living.

Amazon prime has decent collection of Kannada movies. Hope they upload such fine ones than the mass oriented crappy ones the Kannada industry mostly dishes out!
Old 28th February 2020, 18:24   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Ayyappanum Koshiyum (Malayalam)
My Rating: 2.5/5

Watched this yesterday. The acting overall by the lead actors were good. The story kept dragging on and on which was a big let down and made it quite boring after a while. Not worth going to the theater to watch this one. By the way, the story had good potential which unfortunately was not exploited properly in the movie.
Old 28th February 2020, 18:47   #1453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Varane Avashyamundu

The trailer raised a bit of expectations (of a usual Anthikad feel-good movie, with a modern interpretation). But came out a bit disappointed.

Rating – 2.5/5
I think this was one of those 'smartly planned' movies. The recent successful Malayalam movies-Driving License, Prathi Poovan Kozhi, Anjaam Pathira, Ayyapanum Koshiyum etc have all been serious, heavy movies with a lot of conflict.

Along comes this, which is light, slightly humorous, leave your brain behind types- And you bring back an iconic pair in Suresh Gopi and Shobhana, throw in some Dulquer charm and get an additional bonus via Kalyani, put some smart references to some older movies, characters and songs- Honestly, hard not to like it at some level

Watched Ayyapanum-Koshyum and enjoyed it.

Also watched Darbar on Prime- What a terrible movie. Especially since I just watched Padayappa for the umpteenth time just a day back (Also on Prime- Full HD with Surround sound- Enjoyable )
Old 28th February 2020, 21:55   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Especially since I just watched Padayappa for the umpteenth time just a day back (Also on Prime- Full HD with Surround sound- Enjoyable )
One of the rare films in which I feel Superstar is trumped both in terms of performance and screen presence.

Last edited by strawhat : 28th February 2020 at 21:56.
Old 28th February 2020, 22:04   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Ala Vaikunthapuramlo OTT release scheduled for 29.02.2020. on SunNXT.
Its available now on both SUN NXT and Netflix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks