Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 16:19   #1471
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Psycho (Tamil)

The name aptly suits the movie. I was really looking forward to this one since few YouTube reviewers compared this with Anjaam Pathira. But was terribly disappointed. It's the usual Mysskin style of direction/narration (lot of violence, blood, swearing) but it doesn't keep you on the edge of the seat. Just a super psycho having a bad past who goes killing people. Seen that many times.

Also, there are many loopholes/mistakes in the movie. The biggest one - how can a blind dude walk so fast and do things like a normal being? He was supposed to be blind in the movie. I haven't seen Uday Stalin's previous movies, but he totally messed up this role. The bad dude was so much better. In fact, he did a pretty good job. I love some of Mysskin's previous movies but this was disappointing (he started off his career with some awesome movies).

I wouldn't recommend this for any normal viewer. Someone who loves this genre can maybe give this a try when there's nothing to watch.

Rating - 2/5

Anveshanam - Malayalam

Started off well but then it was a downhill. It does make you guess it the till the end but reach the midway point, you can guess the ending. The movie was pretty short - that was the best part.

Rating - 2/5

Ayyappanum Koshiyum - Malayalam

Agree with comments posted here. It was a pretty good one. Although it was almost 3 hours long and you know it's their ego that keep going, it will definitely make you watch till the end. Pretty well made.

Rating - 4/5

Last edited by naveen.raju : 18th March 2020 at 16:25.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 06:17   #1472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Ayyappanum Koshiyum - Malayalam

Agree with comments posted here. It was a pretty good one. Although it was almost 3 hours long and you know it's their ego that keep going, it will definitely make you watch till the end. Pretty well made.

Rating - 4/5
I watched this on Amazon Prime over the weekend, and really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a watch. Biju Menon is just understated elegance personified.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 06:51   #1473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I watched this on Amazon Prime over the weekend, and really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a watch. Biju Menon is just understated elegance personified.
Wanted to watch this but Amazon Prime in Singapore is quite a strange one - somehow the most of the regional Indian movies doesn't show up. The only latest Malayalam one listed is Driving License!
Old 19th March 2020, 08:30   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Recently watched Darbar (tamil) with subs. Typical OTT Thalaiva fare. The good part about such movies is they are good stress busters. And you can watch it while happily going about your household chores. Dont miss much by way of the plot. Also I am fascinated by wave of Telugu superhit dance numbers in the past 2-3. years. Mostly AA, NTR Jr, Charan ( Rangasthalam). Dont understand 90% of the language, but enjoy the peppy soundtracks 100% !
Old 19th March 2020, 12:57   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Ayyappanum Koshiyum: Agree largely with the reviews posted already. But I think the movie could've been trimmed a bit in the 2nd half. Both Prithviraj and Biju Menon were excellent. I also liked the CI character played by Anil Nedumangad.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 15:14   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Thamasha is a very light Malayalam movie handling theme of societies reaction on the friendship between a bald guy and an overweight girl. Vinay Fort and the lead lady has done a good job, overall a good entertainer to catch on prime

Last edited by gadadhar : 19th March 2020 at 15:15.
Old 20th March 2020, 08:07   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Wanted to watch this but Amazon Prime in Singapore is quite a strange one - somehow the most of the regional Indian movies doesn't show up. The only latest Malayalam one listed is Driving License!
I tried getting a Amazon.sg account to see if that will give me more. But no luck, its the same list that you get on a Amazon.in account in Singapore.

One way could be to use a VPN. But I dont know the legal aspects of using a VPN.
Anyone knows if VPNs are legal or not?
Old 20th March 2020, 08:48   #1478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I tried getting a Amazon.sg account to see if that will give me more. But no luck, its the same list that you get on a Amazon.in account in Singapore.
Yeah, it’s the regional/location restriction. With my Amazon SG account when I am in Kerala or say in the US, all the latest releases show up.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 04:09   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Anyone knows if VPNs are legal or not?
Amazon detects VPN login and says, does NOT work behind VPN. This is what I have experienced in US.

In India, with same account my sis gets to see some shows, which I am NOT able to see, here in US.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 04:15   #1480
BHPian

Lockdown has made movie watching a delight.
Hope to see these movies this week. Would appreciate a review of them. Thanks in advance.
Prime - Mafia Chapter 1 (Tamil)
Prime - Immanuel (Malayalam)
Netflix - Kannum Kannum Kollaiyadithaal (Tamil)

Movies seen
Charlie (Prime) - thoroughly enjoyed Dulquer in this sweet movie and Parvaty was superb too.
Maanagaram (Prime) - a black comedy made by the director of Kaithi, Lokesh Kanagaraj. Loved it.
Jaanu (Prime) - 96 was better.
Disco Raja (SunNXT) - Avoid it by a barge pole. Complete waste of time.

I am hoping for more movies to drop on OTT with 15 more days to lock down to look forward to.

Practice Safe Distancing & be safe.

Last edited by Ithaca : 31st March 2020 at 04:16.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 10:51   #1481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Hope to see these movies this week. Would appreciate a review of them. Thanks in advance.

Practice Safe Distancing & be safe.
Immanuel is a good one. Mainly due to the Mammooty and Fahad combo- I think this is the only one where they have acted together since Fahad's comeback.

Kannum Kannum Kollayadithaal- The reviews seemed to indicate it was a fantastic movie. Maybe because I read reviews and so some of the elements of surprise was lost, felt it kind of an ok movie. But good watch during lockdown times.

Also watched Vaanam Kottatum(Tamil) which was also a good pass time watch. Well acted.

Also noticed that a bunch of old time Malayalam Classics have come on Prime. Manichitrathazu, His Highness Abdullah, Godfather, Varavelpu, Devasuram, Kireedom, Bharatham, Passenger, Mrugaya, vadakunokiyandram.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 31st March 2020 at 11:10.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 11:29   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mafia Chapter 1 - The whole movie in the name of style has so many slow mo frames, it got my goat after some time. Story wise also nothing great, I finished the movie though. Whole chapter 1 I guess was just to have a chapter 2. Cannot resist quoting this dialog, no spoilers: Cop at a murder scene "This is not an ordinary murder, looks like there is a motive "

KKKA - Time pass movie, was ok

Edit: Driving License is also a good watch, if not already seen, available on Prime

Last edited by arvind71181 : 31st March 2020 at 11:35.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 12:03   #1483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
KKK was pretty decent. Started off with the usual stuff but then got interesting. I managed to watch Dharala Prabhu (Vicky Donor remake). Nothing great if you have watched the hindi movie. Only found Vivek interesting in that. Next in the line is "118". Cast doesn't look interesting but I do love investigative thrillers.

If you want to watch a lot of old movies, try Hotstar, Sunnxt and Yupptv. They have good collection of old Malayalam movies.
Old 31st March 2020, 15:51   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Immanuel is a good one.
Kannum Kannum Kollayadithaal- The reviews seemed to indicate it was a fantastic movie. Also watched Vaanam Kottatum(Tamil)
Also noticed that a bunch of old time Malayalam Classics have come on Prime.
Thank you for the review Sir.
Will catch up on the older movies though i have seen most of them before too without understanding the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Driving License is also a good watch, if not already seen, available on Prime
Thank you Sir, for the review. I have seen Driving License and Ayyapanum Koshiyum and enjoyed both movies though you cannot compare the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
KKK was pretty decent. Started off with the usual stuff but then got interesting. I managed to watch Dharala Prabhu (Vicky Donor remake). Nothing great if you have watched the hindi movie.
If you want to watch a lot of old movies, try Hotstar, Sunnxt and Yupptv. They have good collection of old Malayalam movies.
Will watch older Malayalam movies. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sir, there is another Atharva movie where he is a cop who is placed in the Police control room. It is called "100" and available on Prime. Do watch in these lock down time where you need to pass your time too.

I guess you must have seen "Oththa Seruppu Size 7" on Netflix too.
Old 31st March 2020, 16:32   #1485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Will watch older Malayalam movies. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sir, there is another Atharva movie where he is a cop who is placed in the Police control room. It is called "100" and available on Prime. Do watch in these lock down time where you need to pass your time too.

I guess you must have seen "Oththa Seruppu Size 7" on Netflix too.
Yes, watched both these and loved Oththa Seruppu Size 7. Very well executed.

OT - If you like Korean movies, do watch Bong Joon Ho's classics. Most of them are available on Netflix. Memories of Murder, The Host, Snowpiercer, Barking Dogs Never Bite are some classic ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks