Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 11:46   #301
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

A little retro, still ..

Watched the 1986 classic “Namukku Parkkan Munthiri Thoppukal”. Left me speechless.
The scene where Solomon recites the verses from Song of Songs to Sofia is magical!

When Solomon asks Sofia why she did not come out when she heard his vehicle's horn, she begins to reply "I thought ..." and leaves it unsaid. And Solomon gives a little smile.

Padmarajan leaves it to viewers imagination as to what the unsaid words were. I can only assume she wanted to say "I thought you will never come back".

Certainly will qualify to being among the top 3 movies made during the "golden period" of malayalam cinema.

Made me also realise the depths malayalam cinema has plunged in the past decade or so.

Last edited by WindRide : 28th September 2011 at 11:53.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 14:17   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
A little retro, still ..

Watched the 1986 classic “Namukku Parkkan Munthiri Thoppukal”. Left me speechless.
Agree. Superb movie. Was that your first time watching this movie? I would call it a "bold" movie because it's not often seen in films that the heroine suffers a fate like Sofia's and is still 'alive' and accepted by the hero. Usually such characters in main stream films get killed/kill themselves/rejected by all.

One of my favourite climax scenes is the one from another Padmarajan movie - "Innale". I think that movie was released in 1989 - and I still like debating with fellom Padmarajan movie-lovers if the ending was "right".

In terms of performances, I love the climax scene in "Dasaratham" (scripted by the late Mr.Lohithadas).
Old 30th September 2011, 15:30   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Was that your first time watching this movie? I would call it a "bold" movie because it's not often seen in films that the heroine suffers a fate like Sofia's..
Yes and iam ashamed i did not watch this earlier.

I read somewhere that even Padmarajan had second thoughts about the ending. Looks like he went along with the cameraman's insistence on that ending. Infact, it seems, the cameraman threatened to quit if the climax was changed!!

This movie celeberated love for it really is, in a very tender & mature way. Not as a gimmick to attact the front benchers.
One thing most people miss about Solomon's character is the changes that come over him vis-a-vis the girl as the movie progresses. Solomon experiences mere interest, curiosity, intense love, sense of right/wrong and finally a feeling of pity and protection towards an orphan girl who has not experienced affection from anyone.

Only Mohanlal could have pulled off such a complicated character without going over the top.

Its a pity what he has transformed into these days. I shed tears when i watch him prancing around trees with girls young enough to be his grand-daughters, wearing gaudy costumes.

Quote:
One of my favourite climax scenes is the one from another Padmarajan movie - "Innale". I think that movie was released in 1989 - and I still like debating with fellom Padmarajan movie-lovers if the ending was "right".
The ending was spot-on. Narendran has no place in Gauri's life anymore and Narendran realised it was simply not worth trying to regain his lost 'position'. That, and probably, a deep seated Kerala male's weakness/ego of not accepting a woman who is very comfortable/intimate in another man's arms.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:10   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Snehaveedu (സ്നേഹവീട്) - Crap !

Snehaveedu (സ്നേഹവീട്) :: Below Average movie. Looks like all the veterans are losing their track now a days. This movie is totally bland inspite of most acclaimed names in Malayalam movie industry. There is nothing much in the movie other than for a handful of average but fresh comedy. Another first day first show disappointment for me & a HUGE disappointment for Mohanlal fans who are expecting something brilliant for his 300th venture. The story line is crap, no great songs & feels the director lost track / direction of the movie once it starts. A slow & boring movie to say the least. Rating :: 2.0 / 5.0 [I would rate "Teja Bhai" better anyday]
Old 30th September 2011, 21:07   #305
Senior - BHPian

Watched "Mozhi(Tamil)" for the second time and must say in this movie the director has done everything right! a simple story line which has been showcased very nicely with nice humor in between and ofcourse well performed by the actors...

hope we get to see more of such works!
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:41   #306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Snehaveedu (സ്നേഹവീട്) - Crap !

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Snehaveedu (സ്നേഹവീട്) :: Below Average movie. Looks like all the veterans are losing their track now a days. The story line is crap, no great songs & feels the director lost track / direction of the movie once it starts.
I think Sathyan Anthikad is surviving on the reputation earned through years of filming movies penned by writers such as Sreenivasan and Lohithadas. He has been penning his own scripts these days and the weak story/climax is a common feature now. Still, his movies attract ladies/family because it is guaranteed that the movie will be 'clean' - no vulgarity in dialogues or costumes, no bloodshed etc. I think Snehaveedu started off well, but lost its way (expectedly) in the 2nd half and ends with a weak climax.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:37   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Snehaveedu (സ്നേഹവീട്) - Crap !

Quote:
I think Sathyan Anthikad is surviving on the reputation earned through years of filming movies penned by writers such as Sreenivasan and Lohithadas. He has been penning his own scripts these days and the weak story/climax is a common feature now. Still, his movies attract ladies/family because it is guaranteed that the movie will be 'clean' - no vulgarity in dialogues or costumes, no bloodshed etc. I think Snehaveedu started off well, but lost its way (expectedly) in the 2nd half and ends with a weak climax.
True - I was not very happy even with his last film, Kadha Thudarunnu ! He recently said that his favorite script writers like Srinivasan are no longer writing scripts & hence he has taken up that too !

I have been hearing some positive feed backs as well. I do not really understand whether my taste is so different from my friends or are they still going by the brand names or do I really look deep into details.

One of my friend in Trivandrum said that 80% of the audience were standing & clapping once the movie ended ! I was speechless !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd October 2011 at 19:39.
Old 6th October 2011, 23:48   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian Rupee [ഇന്ത്യന്* റുപി]

Indian Rupee [ഇന്ത്യന്* റുപി] :: SUPER ! A very typical Ranjith movie. Veteran actor Thilakan ROCKS with his comeback movie after the ban. The movie deals with a realistic theme! The young guy who the story is based on; can be seen in our everyday life. The lead cast disappoints to say the least. Prithvi Raj proves that he can manage only larger than life characters & fails to bring life into the simple [but potential] character in the movie; so is Rima Kallingal ! The movie has quite some nice & clean comedy, but most of the time the actors fail to convert that into a laughter. Prithvi Raj fails to deliver on the Kozhikkode slang like Mammootty did in Pranchiyettan. "Ee Puzhayum" song with its initial 2 lines takes you to a totally different mood & is the one of the BEST romantic song of the recent times.

My Rating :: 4.0 / 5.0

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th October 2011 at 23:49.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 00:56   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Bombay March 12 [ബോംബേ മാര്*ച്ച് 12] - Nice movie. Though we have seen umpteen number of movie dealing with the Mumbai blasts, this one brings in a new dimension to it. This movie marks the directorial debut of screenplay writer Babu Janardhanan. He has tried to do justice to the flash back scenes which happen way back in 1993, but fails at many places while using the different commodities around it. For example the bags used around are not from those time, so is Pepsi / Coca-Cola bottles we see around in 1993. And this happens in quite a few scenes if you observe closely. Couple of songs are good and overall the movie is worth watching once. My Rating - 3.0/5.0
Old 28th October 2011, 01:55   #310
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about Shruti Hassan's first movie. I heard it just released?
Old 28th October 2011, 11:28   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Any idea about Shruti Hassan's first movie. I heard it just released?
Just released one is infact, Shruti Hassan's first Tamil movie. She has already acted in Hindi and I think Telugu. And more than Shruthi, this movie is making news for the Ghajini team Murugadoss and Suriya
Old 30th October 2011, 00:18   #312
Senior - BHPian

Watched Engeyum Eppothum a few days ago. The movie was enjoyable; it was nice to see a different take on the usual RomComs. Simple storyline and for the most part light and and easy. The movie starts with the ending, and the story keeps flicking back and forth explaining the different character's storys and how they end up together on the buses that eventually crash.

Great movie, I liked it! 4/5 from my side.

Anyone seen 7am Arivu? Review please!

Last edited by anekho : 30th October 2011 at 00:20.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:07   #313
BHPian

Watched 7'am Arivu last week in Chennai. What a waste!

While I applaud the efforts took to illustrate Bodhi Dharman; I felt the portrayal left a bitter taste. I dont think the lead actor suited the mature Bodhi Dharman's personation - looked like a lost child!

Add to it the jarred screenplay, baddie's comic portrayal (ala Gajini), lack-of chemistry between the lead pair, the lady lead's voice that sounded like a drenched horn (Is she really The Daughter!!!?); and You have a recipe for disaster.

The movie should have ended after Bodhi Dharman's portrayal.
Old 4th November 2011, 00:14   #314
BHPian

Watched Oosaravelli and Dookudu a couple of days ago. Both are above average movies and good for one time watch. They are far more enjoyable than some of the nonsense Bollywood is dishing out.
I liked the ntr starrer more because of the suspense element and twists involved.
Old 4th November 2011, 14:41   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
I liked the ntr starrer more because of the suspense element and twists involved.
I think this is the latest trend in Telugu movies having star studded, 2-3 heroins, some cheap comedy tracks, foriegn locations, more importantly mix 2 or more old movies, some artificial twists in the story. I think this is the high time for the stories. No new stories can be created.

Most Viewed