Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 04:59   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Mayamohini- Good first half & average Second half; Climax scenes were horrible. Dileep did the female part well but his heroism part in climax didn't create any impact. Biju Menon and Baburaj did a great job. They were the real heroes! Spadikam George was also seen in a comic role. Songs were boring and BGM was just ok. There were some gud comedy scenes in 1st half but 2nd half was disappointng and was like any other Sibi-Udayan movie. I wouldn't recommend you to watch this film with your family eventhough its supposed to be a family entertainer 'cos there are a few dialogs with double meanings. There's isn't much logic in the story. Comedy scenes in the 1st half is the main highlight.
My Rating- 6.5/10. Watchable, if u go without any expectations.
Old 17th April 2012, 09:55   #362
Senior - BHPian

22FK- Awesome movie! Hats off to Aashique Abu and team for this amazing film. This is a heroine oriented film and Rima Kallingal has done an excellent job. This is her best performance till date. Fahad Fazil, as usual, did his role in a realistic manner. Senior actors Prathap Pothen, T.G.Ravi, and Sathar also played important roles. Script writers Abhilash Kumar & Shyam Pushkaran has done a good job. First half goes well, there's some lag in the 2nd half but that's ok. Climax is unpredictable. Aashique Abu has gone miles ahead with this film. He has emerged as a class director. Songs & BGM are good. Cinematography by Shyju Khalid is excellent.
My Rating- 4/5. Must Watch.

Last edited by Anand123 : 17th April 2012 at 09:57.
Old 26th April 2012, 23:30   #363
Senior - BHPian

In general I am not interested in Movies. But recently I had to travel in train for 48 hours continuously. I thought of taking a couple of DVDs for the journey. One of my friends brought some original DVDs from Malaysia and gave me 3 movies. All of them were Tamil movies. They are Dhoni, Marina and Vagai Sooda Vaa. All the three movies are, one or the other way related with kids. I really appreciate the producers and the directors of these movies for doing such a good movies. One or the other way all the three are eligible for National award. Sincerely I congratulate Pandi Raj the Marina Director, Prakash Raj the producer and the Director of Dhoni and Sargunam the director of Vagai Sooda Vaa.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:25   #364
Senior - BHPian

Watched 22 Female Kottayam last week at Kochi. Liked the movie. Very different subject and wonderful performance by Rima Kallingal. Hats off to Ashiq Abu and the script writers and above all the producer who came forward to invest money in a different movie.

Watched "Grand Master" yesterday at Q Cinemas, ITPL yesterday. It is a decent thriller and worth a watch. First half is little slow but the second half is much better. Not much gimmicks.
Old 5th May 2012, 04:44   #365
Senior - BHPian

Grandmaster- I had some expectations for this film and Thank God, its a long time since a film came upto our expectations! GM is a gud investigative thriller. Don't go expecting a racy thriller. 1st half is a bit slow, 2nd half was fast enough. Its was so nice to see Mohanlal in such a role n' he played it cool. I'm happy that eventhough its a cop movie, director used d 'actor' in Lalettan than his star value. Narain looked handsome but was not utilised well. Priyamani, Jagathy, Babu Antony n d gal who came as Lal's daughter did their roles very well. The 'villain' part could have been handled with a little more care. Script, Dialogues, Direction was gud. The only fear I had was about B.Unnikrishnan's direction but he has made it well. This is his best work till date. Songs & BGM are good.

My Rating- 8/10.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:23   #366
Senior - BHPian

Diamond Necklace- Its senior director Lal Jose's 'new-gen' movie. Story revolves around d hero who's a doctor in Dubai and the three women who comes into his life. Fahad, as usual did a splendid job. Samvritha gave one of her best performance and she looks gorgeous too. Gauthami Nair was good as the tamil girl. New comer Anusree was natural and created some nice moments. Rohini, Sreenivasan, Maniyanpilla Raju, Sukumari etc did their roles well. Sameer Thahir has captured the beauty of Dubai in a nice manner. Songs by Vidyasagar are good. First half went well but there was some lag in the second half. Seems like the writer was a bit confused about how to end the movie. Its very different from the usual Lal Jose movies. It could have been much better if some more care have been taken on the last 30 minutes of the movie. Those who can enjoy only the usual masala flicks better stay away. Overall, its a good attempt by Lal Jose.
My Rating- 7/10; Worth a watch.
Old 7th May 2012, 23:28   #367
Senior - BHPian

Mallu Singh- Went to theater around 30 minutes before the show and was surprised too see a huge crowd waiting for tickets. I didn't expect this after hearing the mixed response about this film. Anyways about the movie, this is also a mass entertainer like director Vysakh's previous films. Hero character was written according to Prithviraj's star value (who was supposed to do this film and later backed off due to date problems). Unni Mukundan is lucky enough to do a big budget entertainer during the initial stage of his career itself. He did what is required for his role. He looks good and possess talent too. He shouldn't have let someone else dub for him and that was d only drawback I found with his character. Unni got 2 mass intro scenes as Hari and Hareendar Singh. He was good in dance and action scenes too. Seems like he's here to stay. Samvritha looks beautiful, as always and did her role well. Other actresses dont have much to do. Kunchakko Boban gave good support but I think Indrajith/Jayasurya could have made this character more effective. Chackochan's comedy scenes didn't work out properly. Biju Menon & Manoj K Jayan weren't used well. There could have been some more comedy scenes. Script by Sethu is average. 1st half is average and 2nd half is good enough. Action scenes are well choreographed. Songs were good and well picturised. Eventhough not as engaging as his previous movies, Vysakh has made a descent mass entertainer. I was surprised again when I came out of the theater to see a much bigger crowd waiting for the next show. Seems like the film has appealed to the masses and will emerge to be a superhit.
My Rating- 6.5/10; Watch it for time pass.
Old 18th May 2012, 20:13   #368
Senior - BHPian

Arike- Its a very short and simple story told in the usual Shyamaprasad style. The lead roles were safe in the hands of Dileep, Mamtha and Samvritha. Samvritha's character was d most attractive one and she did it well. Vineeth, Innocent etc gave good support. Songs and BGM was excellent. There isn't too much incidents in this film. Its shows a small period of the lives of the main characters in a soft and gentle way. I could guess the ending after the first 30 minutes itself. Script and direction is good. The change in Samvritha's character was shown perfectly. Those who can't sit through a slow paced movie better stay away. This is a film for the fans of Shyamaprasad!
My Rating- 7.5/10.
Old 20th May 2012, 19:17   #369
Senior - BHPian

Manjadikuru- I've been hearing about this film for a long time and finally watched it. The movie was shot almost 4 years back and won a lot of awards in various film festivals. Hence, I was eagerly waiting for it. About the movie, Woah!! What a amazing experience, it was. The story is told through the eyes of the 10 year old boy, Vicky who's coming from Dubai with his parents to attend the funeral of his grandfather. He befriends his cousins and the the tamil servant girl in his ancestral house. The acting of all the 4 children were amazing. All the actors did a good job especially Urvashi, Murali, Jagathy, Rahman, Sagar Shiyaz, Bindhu Panikker, Praveena, Sindhu Menon etc. Narration of the story by Prithviraj was excellent. He appears in the last couple of scenes. His decision to associate with such a good movie must be appreciated. The film is completely shot in a village in Kerala and the natural beauty have been well captured by cinematographer Pietro Zuercher. Songs and BGM are good. Editing could have been better. Script and direction are very good and doesn't feel like its made by a debutant director. There are may good moments in the film which will bring a smile to your face. In spite of a bad theater experiece in Kalabhavan - Trivadrum, I ejoyed the movie very much. Its more than a hour since I left the theater but still the scenes are running in front of my eyes. This movie brought back my childhood memories with my cousins in my native place. I would have missed this movie a lot if I had missed it. A very BIG Thanks to Anjali Menon for this wonderful movie.
My Rating- 9.5/10, Must Watch.
Old 20th May 2012, 20:43   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Grandmaster- I had some expectations for this film and Thank God, its a long time since a film came upto our expectations! GM is a gud investigative thriller. Don't go expecting a racy thriller. 1st half is a bit slow, 2nd half was fast enough. Its was so nice to see Mohanlal in such a role n' he played it cool. I'm happy that eventhough its a cop movie, director used d 'actor' in Lalettan than his star value. Narain looked handsome but was not utilised well. Priyamani, Jagathy, Babu Antony n d gal who came as Lal's daughter did their roles very well. The 'villain' part could have been handled with a little more care. Script, Dialogues, Direction was gud. The only fear I had was about B.Unnikrishnan's direction but he has made it well. This is his best work till date. Songs & BGM are good.

My Rating- 8/10.
FYI, Grandmaster is a ripoff of a Hollywood movie 'Taken' starring Liam Neeson!
Old 20th May 2012, 21:07   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmeister View Post
FYI, Grandmaster is a ripoff of a Hollywood movie 'Taken' starring Liam Neeson!
Are you sure? Though i have not seen 'Taken' but reading from this link, I don't see a rip off (except from daughter and divorced parents fact).
Old 20th May 2012, 21:26   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Are you sure? Though i have not seen 'Taken' but reading from this link, I don't see a rip off (except from daughter and divorced parents fact).
I am not sure. I haven't seen Grand master but have seen Taken. Someone who told me the story line got me thinking that i have seen this somewhere. Husband (CIA/ IPS) and wife separated, not divorced. Kid gets kidnapped and the father brings her back thus bringing the family more closer.
Old 20th May 2012, 23:04   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmeister View Post
I am not sure. I haven't seen Grand master but have seen Taken. Someone who told me the story line got me thinking that i have seen this somewhere. Husband (CIA/ IPS) and wife separated, not divorced. Kid gets kidnapped and the father brings her back thus bringing the family more closer.
I have seen both "Grandmaster" and "Taken" and there is no similarity in their story lines. Both are very different movies.

"Grandmaster" is said to have some similarity to a book by Agatha Christie (not revealing the name of the book so as not to give any plot points of the movie away). But, I haven't read the book so I don't know how much similarity is really there - although from reading the synopsis of the book, some of the plot looks similar.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:58   #374
BHPian

Recently watched these movies

Nice movie, Dhanush performance is something to praise about especially in second half, His facial reactions and voice modulation is great. I think these type of characters are plum for him. The production cost for this film would be very less, only actors salaries are to be considerred :-). Very nice songs but cinematography makes it boredom. Felt little shaken after seeing a bipolar affected person, thats the success of the film.
My rating 3/5.

Kalakalappu
My kinda movie :-), No logic, just comedy type movie. I think its one of the best of Sundar.C. Nice character selection, 1st half is all about getting the ancestral Hotel back to its fame by the brothers and 2nd half is all about how they grab the hands of their love and take the hotel back from villans. Laughed out to the core :-). It had everything for a commercial comedy entertainer. Ilavarasu's performance is awesome, everytime he appears in different make over and his dialog delivery, will make us laugh out loud. Sandhanam did his part in the second half to keep the pace of the film. You will never feel bored at any time.
My rating 4/5.

OkOk
Again Comedy entertainer, Sandhanam is the real hero, his costumes were something to note through out the film which makes you laugh for sure. His one liners keep the film alive. Hero's behaviour is similar for every Rajesh's (Director) films, sometimes makes us think whether anybody (heroine) fall in love for this kinda behaviours.
My rating 3/5
Old 30th May 2012, 07:00   #375
Senior - BHPian

HERO- Diphan tried to make a mass entertainer like Putiyamugham but this time it didn't turn out to be a good one. Prithviraj did his best to save the movie but with a week screenplay, there's little he could do. He did a lot of hardwork for this film and that shows on screen. Prithvi-Bala stunt scene was superb. Anoop Menon did a good job, as usual. Heroine Yami Gautam looks gud and her performance was also good. Sreekanth, as villain wasn't so impressive. Nero-Nero song was good and picturised well. Choreography of the other two songs were boring. BGM was averge. Climax could have been taken in a better way.
Overall its an average movie. Watch it for timepass.
My Rating- 5/10

Last edited by Anand123 : 30th May 2012 at 07:02.

Most Viewed