Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 09:33   #376
Senior - BHPian

Diamond Necklace - Malayalam

Watched Diamond Neclace yesterday at Q Cinemas. Liked it very much. Definitely worth a watch. Impressive preformance by all actors.
Old 15th June 2012, 10:54   #377
Senior - BHPian

Any feedback on Malayalam movie Spirit

Hi,

Has anyone watched the Malayalam movie Spirit? If yes, any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th June 2012, 13:16   #378
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any feedback on Malayalam movie Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Hi,

Has anyone watched the Malayalam movie Spirit? If yes, any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Initial reviews are like, it hasn't come to the expected levels ie, not upto Renjith's Pranjiettan or Indian Rupee but still is a watchable movie for the brilliant performance of the actors and the socially relevant theme. Will watch it soon and post a review.
Old 17th June 2012, 06:51   #379
Senior - BHPian

Spirit Review

Watched "Spirit" yesterday at the Cinemax, above Total Mall, Bangalore. Movie with a message to the society with good performance by all actors. Mohanlal plays a character that only he can play to perfection. Songs are good too. There are few nice moments in the film as well.
I doubt whether the movie would a commercial success although the theatre was full yesterday (some other theatres were also full). There was also an applause from the audience when the film ended.

Definitely worth a watch. Don't expect it to be entertaining as "Pranchiyettan".
Happy to see Mohanlal playung such roles and film makers coming up with plots where middle aged characters play protagonists.
Old 18th June 2012, 21:48   #380
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

BACHELOR PARTY- Strictly for Bachelors!

Even after hearing hell lot of negative reviews about this film, I still wanted to watch this movie in theatre 'cos I've liked Amal Neerad films ever since I saw Big-B. BP is just like any other Amal Neerad movie, a small story line, a script with lot of ups and downs, excessive use of slow motions, stunning visuals etc. I went with zero expectations and may be that's the reason why I didn't feel this movie not as bad as many of the FB reviewers claims it to be. Infact, its much better than what I expected! Rahman, Indrajith and Kalabhavan Mani came with splendid performances. Asif and Vinayakan were ok. Nithya Menen did her role well but, there were some problems with her dubbing. John Vijay and Aashish Vidhyarthi played the villain part well. Prithviraj's cameo and action sequences were superb. First half was good but script wasn't stable in second half. The 5minute shoot down scene in climax that too in slow motion tested the patience of audience. Cinematography is excellent, as usual and direction is average. Songs are good and went along with the film's theme. BGM is superb and plays a major role in creating the required mood and effect.
80% of the scenes are shown with a tag line- "Smoking and Alcahol consumption is injurious to health" and I found that distractive; Wonder if its a part of censorship. There are many non-veg dialogs and scenes in the movie.
Overall, its worth a watch in theatre, but only if you've enjoyed watching the director's previous films. *Better don't take your family along.....
Old 20th June 2012, 14:40   #381
Senior - BHPian

SPIRIT- Its more like a documentary than a movie!

Last edited by Anand123 : 20th June 2012 at 14:41.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:47   #382
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spirit Review

Quote:
Watched Diamond Neclace yesterday at Q Cinemas. Liked it very much. Definitely worth a watch. Impressive preformance by all actors.
+1 . Great film!

Quote:
Watched "Spirit" yesterday at the Cinemax, above Total Mall, Bangalore. Movie with a message to the society with good performance by all actors. Mohanlal plays a character that only he can play to perfection. Songs are good too. There are few nice moments in the film as well.
I doubt whether the movie would a commercial success although the theatre was full yesterday (some other theatres were also full). There was also an applause from the audience when the film ended.

Definitely worth a watch. Don't expect it to be entertaining as "Pranchiyettan".
Happy to see Mohanlal playung such roles and film makers coming up with plots where middle aged characters play protagonists.
Yet to watch. He also did a ok job in the other film whre he plays a senior cop.

Another good watch is F22 Kottayam.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:56   #383
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spirit Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
+1 . Great film!

Yet to watch. He also did a ok job in the other film whre he plays a senior cop.

Another good watch is F22 Kottayam.
Already watched 22FK at Kochi the next day of release. Liked it, but liked Diamond Necklace more.
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:03   #384
Senior - BHPian

Saguni- Not upto expectations!
The story had a lot of scope but wasn't utilised properly. Script & Direction is average. Karthi performed well. Santhanam gave some good comedy scenes.Prakash Raj's villain role didn't make much impact. Radhika did a strong role. Heroine didn't have anything to do other than to look beautiful in 2 songs. Anushka's cameo was an unnecessary one.
Overall, its a one time watchable movie for Karthi's performance.
Old 29th June 2012, 21:42   #385
Senior - BHPian

Ustad Hotel - One of the best movies of recent times.
Awesome movie, I should say. Wonderful acting by Dulquer Salmaan. One wouldn't say its just his 2nd movie. He's our future suprstar, for sure. The main lead character which goes through many crucial moments in life was safe in the hands of Dulquer. He's a perfect successor! Nithya Menon was charming and did her role well. Thilakan did another memorable character. Siddhique, Mamukoya, Jayaprakash etc gave good support. Asif Ali 's cameo was good. Gopi Sunder's music is superb. 'Vattayipoyo' rocked in the theater, 'Mel Mel' was a good melodious number. Lokanathan's cinematography deserves special applause. Anjali Menon, who's already a star after Manjadikuru shines again with her writing skills. First half goes off well with lot of happenings; there's a bit lag in the second half but that's not a negative. Last 15 minutes were really heart touching. There were many good comedy scenes too. Anwar Rasheed, who has tasted only success, has added another feather to his cap. This movie will appeal to both youth and family audience. Special congrats to producer Listin Stephen for the hatrick hit!
My Rating- 9/10; Must Watch!!

Last edited by Anand123 : 29th June 2012 at 21:48.
Old 6th July 2012, 19:44   #386
Senior - BHPian

Eega - Rajamouli strikes again!
As expected Eega is a visual treat. The story was disclosed before the release of the film itself. The presentation of such a theme ie, hero taking rebirth as a fly to take revenge on the villain who killed him, is tha main attraction. The 3 main characters are played by Nani, Samantha and Kannada actor Sudeep. All of them have done their role perfectly. Nani shines in his romantic hero avatar. Samantha is cute and lovable. Eventhough Sudeep is the villain, he's the backbone of the film who carries the whole film on his shoulders. Script and direction is good. Direction is excellent. Visual Effects are superb and it makes this film a must watch.
My Rating- 8/10.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:40   #387
BHPian

I watched Eega on Day 1 of release. I feel Rajamouli is overrated as a director, although he is one of the few directors in Telugu who is willing to try different subjects.
Technically, this movie was very good. The CGI was very good for a Telugu movie and the opening scene after the birth of the Fly was very good. But after that, I felt the movie went downwards. The whole story is very predictable and you would know what is going to happen next as soon as the scene starts. The biggest letdown for me was the 'Tantra' guy. I think Rajamouli wanted to repeat the success of the similar character in 'Magadheera' and he crammed in this character without any necessity. The movie could have been much better if that whole silly storyline was removed.
Also, I wasn't sure if this movie was aiming to be a kid's movie or an adult movie. I think it would keep the kids entertained but there were some scenes which could be too violent for kids. At the same time, the story was too silly for adults and needed a lot of suspension of disbelief.
My Rating : 3/5 .
Old 7th August 2012, 10:32   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Arike- Its a very short and simple story told in the usual Shyamaprasad style. ... I could guess the ending after the first 30 minutes itself.
Arike - Excellent movie.
Wonder what made Kalpana change her mind in the end? Was it really because she was flattered by the handsome and rich young man proposing to her or was it because she felt "damaged" and didn't want Shantanu to marry someone like her? The scene in the hospital when he comes to see her holds a clue (she doesn't want to face him and tries to hide her wounds).

Intriguing.
Old 7th August 2012, 15:31   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Arike - Excellent movie.
Wonder what made Kalpana change her mind in the end? Was it really because she was flattered by the handsome and rich young man proposing to her or was it because she felt "damaged" and didn't want Shantanu to marry someone like her? The scene in the hospital when he comes to see her holds a clue (she doesn't want to face him and tries to hide her wounds).

Intriguing.
Syamaprasad doesn't explain everything in his films. He always gives space for our imaginations. In Arike, Kalpana's (Samvritha) behavior is always a bit uncertain. I can guess 2 reasons for her ditching the hero. One is that she was never serious about her love and that relationship. There's a scene in which she tells Mamta that she started her love affair right from her school days and had quite a number of boyfriends. Shantanu was just another infatuation for her. So, when she saw another good looking, rich guy, she changed her mind. Another reason is that, hero always speaks a lot about her beauty. So, when she's wounded in the accident she feels that that Shantanu might not love her like he did earlier.
Old 7th August 2012, 18:14   #390
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see no reviews for "Thattathin Marayathu". A simple, predictable love story, well told. It has some decent comedy and songs. I think I would've enjoyed the movie a whole lot more if I'd been about 15 years younger

Most Viewed