Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 11:42   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Watched kannada movie Rambo. Its a very funny movie with a story! Full of hilarious sequences.
Overall, excellent acting by Sharan, Tabla Nani , Sadhu and Rangayana Raghu.
4/5 is my rating.
I liked this movie, but I think it could have been made even better (especially Umashri, she overacts a lot). I've always liked Sharan's acting. He is one of the better comedians in the Kannada film industry and has good comic timing.

I would rate the movie 3/5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I want to watch this movie. Even my colleagues gave good opinions about this movie. My last Kannada movie was Addhuri. Dhruva Sarja looks like a promising actor.

I watched some trailers of a movie called Charulata by Dwarakish. Looked a bit different from the normal movies.
I haven't seen Charulatha yet. But, I've heard mixed reviews on that. Do post a review if you see it.
Old 1st October 2012, 16:41   #407
Senior - BHPian

Thaandavam- Vikram and AL Vijay joins again after Daivathirumakan; this time its a revenge story. There isn't anything new in the story. Its presented in hollywood style with some tamil flavor added to it. Vikram's performance as the visually impaired Kenny is the main attraction of the movie. Vikram-Anushka romance was shown beautifully. Santhanam gave a couple of good one-liners. Jagapathy Babu did his role well. Nasser, Amy Jackson and Lekshmi Rai gave good support. There's some lag in the first half. Editing could have been better. GV Prakash Kumar's music is good. Nirav Shah's cinematography is excellent. Direction is good.
Its worth a watch for Vikram's performance alone.
My Rating- 7/10.
Old 19th October 2012, 18:13   #408
Senior - BHPian

Jawan of Vellimala- This was supposed to be the comeback movie of Mammootty but seems like he has to wait for 'Bhavuttiyude Namathil' for a grand comeback! JOV disappoints!
Gopikrishnan, an ex-jawan, is the security officer of a dam in Vellimala. He's considered as a coward in that village since he's afraid of ghosts which he claims to see often. The first half goes in a decent pace with the happenings in the village and some other activities related to dam. There are some good comedy scenes too. Then comes the main story, the security of dam is questioned and Gopikrishnan decides to find out the real mystery behind it.
The theme is a good one with social relevance in the current scenario but script should have been better, especially in the second half. Climax scenes could have been treated in a better way. Mammootty was superb. Sreenivasan, Asif Ali, Mamtha etc did their roles well. Director Ranjith appears in a cameo. Cinematography is good. BGM is excellent and makes good impact in certain scenes. Editing coluld have been better. Director Anoop Kannan has done a decent job here, considering this is his first movie.
Overall, JOV fails to appeal to the common audience so chances are less for this to become a hit.

My Rating- 5/10.
Old 19th October 2012, 21:47   #409
Senior - BHPian

Ayalum Njanum Thammil- A new genaration film need not always tell the story of urban youth or extra-marrital affairs! Lal Jose does it again, 2nd time this year. Superb movie!! When I saw the song 'Januvariyil...' in TV, a few days back, I thought this film must be similar to 'Classmates' but its not. DON'T expect another 'Classmates'.
Its the story of a doctor, Ravi Tharakan (Prithviraj) and certain happenings in different stages of his life. Don't expect a usual 'story' ie, establishing some characters, a problem arises and the how the hero solves it. This film has a different narrative style. It travels to the past and comes back to present very often. The whole film revolves around Prithviraj's character and the relation between a senior and junior doctor. Samvritha Sunil, Remya Nambeesan and Rima Kallingal plays important roles in the film along with Prathap Pothen and Narain. This is one of the best works of Prithviraj and his performance is one of main highlight of the movie. Prathap Pothen gave another memorable role. Narain was wasted. All the actresses did their roles well. Bobby-Sanjay's script can't be called perfect. While they were successfull in developing the hero's character very well, they forgot about other characters. None of the actresses were given enough prominence for a heroine. Atleast, Samvritha's character should have been given a little more scenes. Since Prithvi-Samvritha romance was not shown properly their separation didn't make the necessary impact on audience. Songs and BGM was nice. Johmon T John's cinematophy deserves a standing ovation. Direction is superb.
I'm apprehensive about how the masses will accept this movie. But if you believe that you can enjoy a movie which got a standard much above the usual masala flicks, don't miss this one.
My Rating- 7.5/10.
Old 19th October 2012, 22:35   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Ayalum Njanum Thammil- A new genaration film need not always tell the story of urban youth or extra-marrital affairs! Lal Jose does it again, 2nd time this year. Superb movie!! When I saw the song 'Januvariyil...' in TV, a few days back, I thought this film must be similar to 'Classmates' but its not. DON'T expect another 'Classmates'.
Its the story of a doctor, Ravi Tharakan (Prithviraj) and certain happenings in different stages of his life. Don't expect a usual 'story' ie, establishing some characters, a problem arises and the how the hero solves it. This film has a different narrative style. It travels to the past and comes back to present very often. The whole film revolves around Prithviraj's character and the relation between a senior and junior doctor. Samvritha Sunil, Remya Nambeesan and Rima Kallingal plays important roles in the film along with Prathap Pothen and Narain. This is one of the best works of Prithviraj and his performance is one of main highlight of the movie. Prathap Pothen gave another memorable role. Narain was wasted. All the actresses did their roles well. Bobby-Sanjay's script can't be called perfect. While they were successfull in developing the hero's character very well, they forgot about other characters. None of the actresses were given enough prominence for a heroine. Atleast, Samvritha's character should have been given a little more scenes. Since Prithvi-Samvritha romance was not shown properly their separation didn't make the necessary impact on audience. Songs and BGM was nice. Johmon T John's cinematophy deserves a standing ovation. Direction is superb.
I'm apprehensive about how the masses will accept this movie. But if you believe that you can enjoy a movie which got a standard much above the usual masala flicks, don't miss this one.
My Rating- 7.5/10.
Agree with you. Liked this one especially because I'm a student of medicine. But I don't think it'll be much of a box office hit.
Prathap Pothen was terrific. Where was he, all these years?
Old 19th October 2012, 22:46   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR
Watched kannada movie Rambo. Its a very funny movie with a story! Full of hilarious sequences.
Overall, excellent acting by Sharan, Tabla Nani , Sadhu and Rangayana Raghu.
4/5 is my rating.
I especially liked when the scene was a serious one and all of the sudden the phone starts ringing "ayyo phone bantu, ayyo phone bantu"!!! Man that is so hilarious!!
Old 21st October 2012, 08:51   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Ayalum Njanum Thammil
A good movie, cant call it excellent but Prithviraj acted really well. Prathap Pothen was awesome. Would love to see him do such roles again. Excellent work by the cameraman. One time watch. BGM was good but didnt find the songs to be catchy (not bad though).

Rating - 7/10
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:32   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Trivandrum Lodge:

To start with, everyone acted pretty well. Although Jayasuriya had his mouth shut, he portrayed the character really well. Some bold and open dialogues makes the movie really natural. Well directed and Anoop menon did a good job with the script. Awesome songs and visuals.

PS - Families with teenage kids wont find it comfortable I guess. I did find two families walk out from the theatre during the movie.

Rating 8.5/10
Old 27th October 2012, 22:47   #414
Senior - BHPian

Saw 'ayalum njanum thammil' at Carnival Cinemas, Angamaly.

The movie is excellent. I loved it. Prathap Pothen was really awesome.

Carnival Cinemas, the facilities are good. But they crowded the intermission with a LOT of advertisements. It just spoiled the overall experience. Also, they should really make some changes to the lighting inside. It just stays on for too long.
Old 10th November 2012, 20:49   #415
Senior - BHPian

My Boss- Dileep's new 'family entertainer' is the story of an engineer who wish to settle down in some foreign country and his serious workaholic boss. The hero and heroine roles were tailor made for Dileep and Mamtha and they did their part well. Kalabhavan Shajon is the lead comedian who gets to crack some 'jokes' in the first half and Saikumar (as Dileep's father) gave good support too. Songs were just ok; East Cost Vijayan's old album song was unnecessarily included with boring visuals! Script and direction is average at best. The Dileep-K.Shajon comedies in the first half were not of good standard. There were some good scenes in the second half though. The director seems to have some terrible misconceptions about 'new generation movies'! He took a descent theme and handled it without much professionalism. The climax scene is a very good example of director's stupidity.
Watch it for a few good comedy scenes and the gorgeous looking Mamtha Mohandas.
My Rating- 6/10.
Old 16th November 2012, 19:26   #416
Senior - BHPian

Theevram - A good attempt from Roopesh Peethambaran but far fom perfect!
Its a revenge story told in an unusual way. Dulquer, after back to back superhits, tried a new genre and did his role very well. The sentimental scenes in the second half clearly shows his potential as an actor. Sreenivasan gave good support. Vinay Fort did a notable role and hope this turns out to be a break for him. Anu Mohan was good in the negative role. Heroine Shikha Nair was ok. Performance of some new actors were not impressive especially the guy came as Dulquer's best friend. Songs were fine and BGM was very good. Editing could have been better. The lag in the flashback scenes should have been avoided. Script and direction is ok. Roopesh has worked hard to make his first movie, a special one but still, could have been much better.
Overall, its a watchable movie if you go without much expectations.
My Rating- 6.5/10
Old 23rd November 2012, 21:34   #417
Senior - BHPian

101 Weddings- Yet another comedy entertainer from Shafi which is good in places. Kunchacko Boban and Jayasurya comes in lead roles. Chackochan did his part well. Jayasurya's girlish act felt artificial at some places but he did a good job towards the end. Samvritha looks good and performed well. Bhama was wasted. Salim Kumar and Suraj Venjaramoodu managed to make us laugh here and there. Biju Menon gave good support. Songs were average. Editing should have been better. The film is a bit slow from the beginning itself. Script was average and direction is ok. Eventhough it didn't come upto the level of Shafi's earlier superhit movies, this one is worth a watch if you go without much expectations.

My Rating- 6.5/10.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:13   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

My Boss:

On seeing the trailer and posters, I expected a lot from this movie. Dileep did his role pretty well. Was disapointed to see Kalabhavan Shajon as the lead comedian but he did his job well. Mamta as usual did an excellent job. I believe that she was the perfect actor for this role. Saikumar was great.

Verdict - 7/10, a definite one time watch

Theevram:

Story similar to many English movies but the attempt was good. Dulquer played his part in this movie. BG score was good but similar to second show. For a directorial debut it was good but expected a lot from them.

Verdict - 6/10

101 Weddings:
Had plans of skipping this movie but decided to take the plunge. Not worth it.
Kunchacko - The usual role with nothing extra except his new hair style
Jayasuriya - Pretty good but at times I felt he tried to copy dileep (chanthupottu)
Biju Menon - I would say he was the best in the movie
Samvritha - Good
Suraj - Did give some good performances but mostly cracked PJ's.
Salim Kumar - A very small role with one scene in which he made us laugh. Rest was kind of serious.

Verdict - 5/10
Old 30th November 2012, 15:14   #419
Senior - BHPian

Face 2 Face- Went to watch this movie with zero expectations since both the hero's and the director's previous films were flops. Even the theme of this movie failed to create any expectation or anxiety in viewers' mind. So, as expected, F2F is one of the worst movie released this year! The subject was said many times earlier. This was supposed to be a thriller but VM Vinu failed miserably in the making and it ended up as usual boring drama. 1st half was average and 2nd half was too bad. Songs are bad and are placed at the wrong places. Choreography of a club dance was done well. Overall, there isn't anything in this movie worth watching.
My Rating- 2.5/10
Old 1st December 2012, 10:57   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Face 2 Face- Went to watch this movie with zero expectations since both the hero's and the director's previous films were flops. Even the theme of this movie failed to create any expectation or anxiety in viewers' mind. So, as expected, F2F is one of the worst movie released this year! The subject was said many times earlier. This was supposed to be a thriller but VM Vinu failed miserably in the making and it ended up as usual boring drama. 1st half was average and 2nd half was too bad. Songs are bad and are placed at the wrong places. Choreography of a club dance was done well. Overall, there isn't anything in this movie worth watching.
My Rating- 2.5/10
Thanks for the review. Am avoiding this one. What about Poppins and Chettayees?

Most Viewed