Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 16:41   #496
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
What the 2012 - 2013 movies, I must not miss? I am not particluar about any genre/actor, but anything that has the charm and storyline will be nice to watch.
Here are a few recommendations from my side:

2012:

Ee Adutha Kaalathu - thriller, dark humour. Ensemble cast. Explores the lives of 6 different people in a city. A must watch.

22 Female Kottayam - thriller, drama. Rima Kallingal and Fahadh Fazil. Must watch!

Diamond Necklace - romance, drama. Fahadh Fazil, Samvrutha. Amazing cinematography.

Spirit - satirical drama. Mohanlal. About alcoholism and its effects. Watchable.

Ustad Hotel - drama, romance. Dulquer Salman, Thilakan and Nithya Menon. Lovely music composition by Gopi Sundar. Please have a nice sumptuous meal before attempting to watch the movie! If you have seen Ratatouille, Salt N Pepper etc. you would know why. Must watch!

Thattathin Marayathu - romance. Nivin Pauly, Sreenivasan, Isha Talwar, Manoj K Jayan. A story about a Hindu guy falling in love with a Muslim girl. Watchable.

Molly Aunty Rocks - comedy, satirical drama. Revathy, Prothviraj, Lalu Alex. A movie about an NRI woman in her late 40s (Revathy) and how she deals with the state of affairs back in her hometown. Watchable.

Ayalum Njanum Thammil - romance, drama. Prathap Pothen, Prithviraj, Samvrutha, Kalabhavan Mani. A story about a very committed senior doctor (Pothen) and his imprudent intern (Prithviraj) at a rural hospital in Munnar and what transpires between them. The relationship between Pothen and Prithviraj is portrayed so damn well! Kalabhavan Mani plays the role of an antagonistic cop - another exceptional role he has handled quite well. Amazing script. You will love this one - guaran-damn-teed. Winters have kicked in - now is the time to watch this! Do not miss it.

Da Thadiya - romance, comedy. Sekhar Menon, Sreenath Bhasi, Ann Augustine. A movie about an obese guy and the life that revolves around him. Watchable. The song Enthanu Bhai is from this one.

2013:

Annayum Rasoolum - romance. Fahadh Fazil and Andrea Jeremiah. Watchable.

Natholi Oru Cheriya Meenalla - comedy, romance. Fahadh Fazil. Not a must watch IMO but enjoyable.

Celluloid - award padam as we say, it is based on a biopic of J C Daniel portrayed by Prithviraj.

Amen - Must watch of the year IMO. A musical satire movie set in a rural Kuttanadan backdrop. Brilliant performance by Fahadh Fazil and Indrajith. Very good cinematography.

Neram - Must watch of the year part II. Comedy thriller, this will keep you entertained. A Tamil version was also released simultaneously which was equally good but some of the cast were replaced by Tamil characters. The famous Pista song was from this movie.

ABCD - Comedy. Dulquer Salman. Watchable.

5 Sundarikal - Anthology of 5 short films from 5 different directors. 2 out of those are exceptional - Sethulakshmi and Kullante Barya.

Neelakasham Pachakadal Chuvanna Bhoomi - a movie about 2 friends who set out on a road trip on their Bulls to Nagaland. Dulquer and Sunny Wayne. Watchable. If bikes are your thing, this is a must watch.

Memories - suspense thriller. Prithviraj. If you like fictions based on serial killing, this is watchable.
Old 10th December 2013, 16:43   #497
BHPian

Keep away from '5 Sundarikal'.

Also don't ever get DVD of the star kid's 'ABCD'. Actually the 1st part was pretty ok, but the 2nd was a sheer waste.

The only recent DVD release that scores a pass are:

1. 'Kili Poyi' - A flimsy storyline but the treatment makes it worth watching.

2. 'Neelakasham Pacha Kadal Chuvanna Bhoomi' - Maybe its because we sync well with the biker theme!
Old 10th December 2013, 17:01   #498
Senior - BHPian

Not an avid viewer, yet my personal list, in order would be:

Run Baby Run
Thiruvambadi Thamban
(though this is not a hit!)
Amen
Ee Adutha Kaalathu
Ordinary
Ustad Hotel
22 Female Kottayam
ABCD

Others, could you please comment on these; high on my to-watch list (based on hearsay):

North 24 Kaatham (when is the CD releasing?)
Red Wine
Hotel California
Honey Bee
Left Right Left
Bachelor Party
Trivandrum Lodge
101 Weddings
Annayum Rasoolum
Natholi Oru Cheriya Meenalla

Last edited by thoma : 10th December 2013 at 17:05.
Old 10th December 2013, 17:14   #499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Others, could you please comment on these; high on my to-watch list (based on hearsay):

Red Wine
Hotel California
Honey Bee
Left Right Left
Bachelor Party
Trivandrum Lodge
101 Weddings
Annayum Rasoolum
Yet to watch
North 24 Kaatham
Left Right Left

Recommended
Annayum Rasoolum
Honey Bee
Trivandrum Lodge

Average
Red Wine
101 Weddings
Hotel California (liked this in bits and parts)

Avoid/Stay away
Bachelor Party
Old 10th December 2013, 18:00   #500
BHPian

Last 3 weekends I had good movie experiences.

1) Thira - Thriller movie and goes in a very fast pace . watchable

2) Monkey Pen- Must watch with your kids . They will love it.

3) Punyalan Agarbathi - Watchable movie with some very good comedy sequence .
Old 10th December 2013, 23:34   #501
Senior - BHPian

Watched ABCD recently. It is a decent comedy movie; can be watched once - some comedy scenes are low grade. Rating - 2.5/5.

I ordered DVDs of Neelakasham Pachakadal and Memories from Amazon; yet to arrive.
Old 11th December 2013, 10:19   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
....What the 2012 - 2013 movies, I must not miss? I am not particluar about any genre/actor, but anything that has the charm and storyline will be nice to watch.
My pick from 2012 and the preferences in the listed order (not movie wise but worthiness)

Good Ones

Ee Adutha Kalathu
Masters
22 Female Kottayam

Heard rave reviews

Manjadikuru
Ayalum Njanum Thammil
Da Thadiya

Completely different genre

Akasathinte Niram
Ozhimuri
Ardhanaari

Watchable once

Asuravithu
Second Show
Nidra
Ordinary
Grandmaster
Diamond Necklace
Mallu Singh
Ustad Hotel
Thattathin Marayathu
Friday
Molly Aunty Rocks!
My Boss
Theevram

Heard good reviews

Chapters

Heard mixed reviews

Spirit
Bavuttiyude Namathil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Not an avid viewer, yet my personal list, in order would be:

Left Right Left
Trivandrum Lodge
Annayum Rasoolum

Red Wine
Hotel California
101 Weddings

Honey Bee
Bachelor Party
Of these, I would avoid the 2nd portion, heard of average / below average responses for those.

the 3rd section is a MUST AVOID, IMO.

It might be just me, but I could NOT really appreciate those "new gen" movies which features overdoses of drugs / drinks / smoking and those excessive "beeps" too!! It shows a very different perspective of life to the young generation and might influence them to believe that is the "cool & freak life". Recent examples - Honey Bee / Kili poyi. For the very reason, I have raised a dislike to Asif Ali too for taking up roles like that and wasting his talent / career.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th December 2013 at 10:41.
Old 16th December 2013, 01:39   #503
Senior - BHPian

Watched Punyalan Agarbathis. I've liked all movies made by director Ranjit Shanker for the social commitment part in those films and they're entertaining too. This one's too of the same genre. Story of a struggling entrepreneur and problems he face in our society. Got some good comedy scenes and good performances too. Worth a watch with family. 7/10.
Old 21st December 2013, 04:46   #504
Senior - BHPian

Drishyam - The movie is all about a common man's struggle for his family's existence. The hero, who runs a cable TV network, is a movie buff who watches movies all day and with the help of movie situations, he tries to solve the problems in his life.
Mohanlal is back in action. It was a treat to watch him behave as a common man. Meena, the kids, Sidhique, Asha Sharath gave good support. Kalabhavan Shajon, who is usually seen playing hero's driver or friend's role is given a negative role and he was terrific as the corrupt cop.
Cinematography is excellant. The thrilling, engaging and emotional screenplay and master craft direction by Jeethu Joseph has made it a must watch.

My Rating- 8.5/10
Old 21st December 2013, 19:14   #505
Senior - BHPian

Watched Drishyam today with fellow BHPians. The movie is a must watch! Great work by Jeethu and Mohanlal.

The first half drags a bit, but the second half is a high voltage thriller. Don't miss it guys.

Last edited by deetjohn : 21st December 2013 at 19:17. Reason: typo.
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:39   #506
BHPian

Happened to watch "Buddy" (the malayalam flick by Anoop Menon"). A watchable movie without a storyline. Anoop did justice to his character.
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:58   #507
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Drishyam has been received quite well going by the user reviews. I see that it is from the same director who did Memories. Thanks to Dhoom 3 running 20-25 shows a day on a multiplex with prebookings, none of them in the city seem to be in the mood for bringing a regional movie any soon.

Eager to watch the Meena-Mohanlal chemistry on the screen after their last one which was a superhit - Udhayananu Thaaram.
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:16   #508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoncr_17 View Post
Happened to watch "Buddy" (the malayalam flick by Anoop Menon"). A watchable movie without a storyline. Anoop did justice to his character.
I felt the opposite. We tried watching the movie a couple of days back, but couldn't sit through and gave up after 30 odd minutes . The basic premise was pointless, and all the main actors were trying so hard to look modern and cool, and ended up so artificial.

Watched Memories yesterday on Asianet, really liked it.
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:54   #509
vdi
BHPian

DHOOM machadiya DRISHYAM!!!
Old 24th December 2013, 07:44   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Drishyam yesterday. Brilliant movie. Great to see Mohanlal in top form again. Hats off to jeethu Joseph. After a long time seeing a unanimous standing ovation at the end of the movie.

Pretty sure this will be remade in all other languages.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks