Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2015, 09:01   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

Malayalam movie- picket 43. Went without much expectations considering the last few movies of major Ravi. But was pleasantly surprised. A nice subtle movie depicting the life of a jawan and his friendship with his Pakistani counterpart in a remote inhospitable outpost along the loc. Excellent performance by prithvi and javed jaffery and beautifully shot. Lot of dialogs in are in Hindi. Film is subtitled in Bangalore. Worth a watch.
Note: you won't like it if you are looking for entertainment.
Old 25th January 2015, 09:38   #677
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Manjadikuru - 4/5

Amazing movie about a young child and the family when they reunite at their ancestral home for his grandpa's funeral. Typical malayali household and we can vouch for each and every sequence that happens in the movie during such a situation. This was supposedly Anjali Menon's first movie shot way back in 2008 (Murali has acted!) but was released much later. Its a bit of an award movie but if you leave that aside it is entertaining with some hilarious bits.

2 actors that stand out in the whole movie - Urvashi with her antagonistic nature and the young Tamil maid. The 2 acted so well. The concluding part of the movie was kickass! If you skip reading through the Wiki article and watch it, you will be in for a surprise.

Way to go Anjali Menon.
Old 25th January 2015, 09:51   #678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Manjadikuru - 4/5
Way to go Anjali Menon.
True! One of the best Malayalam movie I watched in recent times. I hope she doesn't lose the spark to do these kind of movies (after a big commercial success like Bangalore Days).
Old 27th January 2015, 11:36   #679
Team-BHP Support

Caught up with a few more being a long weekend.

Akam - 2/5

Watched the movie purely because of Fahadh Fazil and since I thought it belonged to the Indie scene but turned out to be a disappointment. Thank goodness everything was over in 90 minutes and did not drag beyond that. Some sequences ended abruptly and the narrative felt disjointed. The BGM was good though.

Vellimoonga - 3.5/5

Was decent and watchable. A TP movie with some satire and comedy. No actor stood out in the movie in particular. The lead actress Nikki Galrani was cute as a homely Nasrani girl. The soundtracks weren't the typical Bijibal fare. The last movie I really enjoyed Biju Menon's character was in Ordinary.

7th Day - 3.5/5

The director has copied the main theme from The Usual Suspects and added some masala! I thought this was something similar to Prithviraj's previous crimer thrillers - Memories and Mumbai Police but I was wrong! The BGM was good. The second-half was being dragged and the end was predictable.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:49   #680
BHPian

Watched "I" over the weekend.

I have no idea what made me stay the entire duration, which lasted between 10PM and 1:30 AM. Makes me wonder if Shankar was sleeping during the project. What a drag - aged storyline, pathetic screenplay, poor choice of artists, irritably long scenes, irritably long and repeated (from earlier movies) fight sequences and what not!

The only grace is Vikram, he carries the entire movie on his shoulder and not to forget Suresh Gopi. That said, age is showing on Vikram. If You are a Shankar fan, please skip this movie. I wonder if this is the same Shankar, who gave us Endhiran.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:54   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Watched "I" over the weekend.
I was planning to catch it this week. Thanks for your review. Will let it pass then. Shocked that its rated quite high on IMDB!
Old 8th February 2015, 13:21   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "Yennai Arinthal" (Tamil). Waste of time. It's a mix of Kakka Kakka & Vettaiyadu vilayadu. I couldn't find even a handful of dialogues to be above average. Cant believe this is the guy who gave us some really beautiful movies in the past. Quite avoidable. Loved the way Trisha looked while Anushka's hairstyle is so pathetic. Some fight scenes were nice, so is some BGM.

My rating - 1/5

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th February 2015 at 13:22.
Old 8th February 2015, 16:48   #683
Senior - BHPian

Yennai Arindhaal - Heard mixed reviews about the movie and still wanted to watch it since I'm a huge fan of Gautham Menon. Someone told me this one's the 3rd of his cop trilogy, the first two being Kakka Kakka and Vettaiyadu Vilaiyaadu. Well, watching the movie with that mindset helped, I guess. The characters looks similar; events are predictable, but still there is a charm in everything. Ajith was impressive and his screen presence is unmatched. Trisha and Anushka did their roles well. It was good to see Vivek in different role and he did it in a controlled way. Arun Vijay looks tough and fit and performed well too. Harris Jayaraj's music felt good after a long time. All that said, Yennai Arindhaal is the least engaging of this trilogy.

My Rating- 7/10. Worth a watch if you've enjoyed Kakka Kakka and Vettaiyadu Vilaiyaadu.
Old 19th February 2015, 05:31   #684
Team-BHP Support

Praise the Lord - Malayalam

I am not sure if i missed the review on this thread, i tried searching for it but couldn't find it. To sum up this movie, AVOID!!

For the life of me, i cannot fathom why Mammooty would sign up for a movie such as this!

Story, u ask?! None.
Performance? You should have seen me as i went through this horror.

Rating : 0 (Yes, Zero) -> Avoid at all costs.
Old 19th February 2015, 07:22   #685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Praise the Lord - Malayalam
Oh you're a brave man! I quit watching half way through.
Easily one of the worst Mammootty movie I came across.
Old 19th February 2015, 10:46   #686
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Oh you're a brave man! I quit watching half way through.
Easily one of the worst Mammootty movie I came across.
I cant explain the agony.
It started off fine, and then God knows what came of the story.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:14   #687
Team-BHP Support

I (Tamil) - 4.5/5

Typical Shankar movie - flamboyancy at its best. Vivid shooting locales, make-up and costume designs, VFX, realistic hand-to-hand combat (never seen anything like this on a Tamil movie before!). P C Sriram’s camerawork was good. All the flashback sequences perfectly fit in right from the start. Soundtracks were good (esp. the Pookale song) but Vaali (R.I.P.) and Vairamuthu’s lyrics were sorely missed. Santhanam did a good job as always. It’s either him or Vivek with those hilarious dialogs. The movie felt a bit dragged and could have been wrapped up in under 2 hours and 30 minutes but otherwise I loved every bit of it.

I felt the movie to be something like a spiritual successor to Shankar’s Anniyan. A male protagonist with a good side and a bad side, a love interest, a humorous side-kick, several antagonists and the works (do not want to spoil it further).

Been a big fan of Shankar and his past work; loved this one too. Will catch up with Golli Soda and Yennai Arindhaal next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I was planning to catch it this week. Thanks for your review. Will let it pass then. Shocked that its rated quite high on IMDB!
You should give it a watch IMO. You might like it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd February 2015 at 10:15.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:25   #688
Senior - BHPian

I saw Malayalam movie 1983 over the weekend. Loved it. Great scripting, acting and flow of events. A very nice feel good movie.
Old 26th February 2015, 23:20   #689
Team-BHP Support

Iyobinte Pusthakam - 5/5

Hot damn! What a movie!

Terrific cinematography! Backed up with a kickass background score and narrative. All the actors gave their best shot especially Lal. Haven't seen him in ages.
Old 27th February 2015, 04:17   #690
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Iyobinte Pusthakam - 5/5

Hot damn! What a movie!

Terrific cinematography! Backed up with a kickass background score and narrative. All the actors gave their best shot especially Lal. Haven't seen him in ages.
Agreed 100%, it was AWESOME.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks