Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 11:53   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Oru Vadakkan Selfie (Malayalam)-Innovative Multiplex-No Subtitles: Time pass movie. Weak Story, Some good one liners and scenes. But great response from the audience throughout the movies. Including scenes which I found average.

Vineet Sreenivasan has definitely got his dad's writing skills. Has managed to take a weak story and write it out very well. I felt the same with Thattathin Marayathu. No real story, but written, packaged and directed very well (Am sure he had a say in the direction of this one also). But not a great fan of his acting. Felt heavy influence of Sreenivasan acting from Akkare Akkare Akkare in several scenes.

Any feedback on Ivan Maryadaraman? Reviews call it a typical Dileep movie. But even typical Dileep movies can be rated from average to unbearable. :-)
Old 11th April 2015, 12:10   #722
BHPian

Before I start, just a note that most of my movie reviews are of slightly dated movies as nowadays most of my time is spent outside Kerala.

Aamayun Muyalum

Torture is all I can say about this one. The only good bit for me was the first three minutes or so when Mohanlal does the introductory narration of the movie.

The only reason Jayasurya seems to have done the movie may be because of the big name director of the movie who is Priyadarshan. Jayasurya's role in this movie does him no justice, infact he does not have one of the main roles which are played by Innocent and Nedumudi Venu. Weak story line and too long at more than two hours, do not waste time on ths one.

Mailanji Monjulla Veedu . Jayaram was always I felt an uni dimensional actor and his roles of late are getting increasingly monotonous. Mailanji Monjulla Veedu is no exception although atleast this one is atleast a little more watchable compared to some of his other recent films. Typical time pass movie " old wine in a new bottle" same time tested formula and predictable story line again and again. Asif Ali also acts well . Watchable- that is just about it.

Munnariyippu. Unlike the earlier two movies with the usual stereotyped crowd pulling formulas, Munnariyippu starring Mamooty is really worth watching. The casting is too good, so much that people will remember Nedumudi for his 15 minute role in this one instead of his two hour antics in Aamayum Muyalum. The same applies for almost every actor, but it is Mamooty which steals the show. Aprana Gopinath does a competent job as well. I enjoyed this one immensely. Directed by Venu who is more famous behind the camera. Definitely worth the time spent.
Old 11th April 2015, 12:22   #723
Team-BHP Support

Picket 43 - 3/5

Decent movie worth a watch if you like these war based movies. Prithviraj fit the role of the Havildar quite well but at times, esp. towards the climax, his reactions for his Pakistani counterpart seemed a bit too much! Songs are good too. But I can’t even think of the situations the soldiers have to face especially those posted at high altitudes like Siachen, Leh etc. Life must be more than just hard for these guys.

Ennum Epozhum - 3/5

Pathetic first half and a watchable second half. The first half was terrible! A song just to show off Manju’s elite bharatanatyam skills. I mean come on! Which Malayali doesn’t know of her dancing skills and the Kalathilakam honours?! Sathyan Anthikad gave us some amazing family dramas recently - Manassinakkare, Achuvinte Amma, Rasathanthram etc. This one doesn’t even come close! FWIW, Mohanlal has paired up with Manju after 17 years (Summer in Bethlahem, Kanmadam) in this movie. Even the music is nowhere comparable to the tracks Ilayaraja used to compose for Sathyan Anthikad’s movies before.

A couple of friends recommended Adaminte Makan Abu. Not sure how I missed this. Up on my list next.
Old 13th April 2015, 09:19   #724
BHPian

Lal Bahadur Shastri

Another Jayasurya starrer. What shall I say about this one??? You will sit through this one all right, but it it is one of these " go-watch-enjoy- forget it" type of movies. You will not be in any great hurry to watch it a second time. A few incidents put together, not boring but not memorable either. More than Jayasurya's acting , I liked the child actor Minon's performance. The boy is talented no doubt and while I have not seen his national award winning "101 Chodyangal", it is not a surprise, this boy is getting rave reviews for his performances.
Old 13th April 2015, 09:38   #725
Team-BHP Support

Haram 1/5

There is absolutely no Haram about this one. A set of clichéd characters who mouth some so-called new-generation lines. The bad dubbing job for the female characters add to the misery. Fahadh Faasil should really hire someone capable to advise him on his movie choices, or soon may have to look for a job change. I have not seen anything worthwhile from him after 24 North Kaatham.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:08   #726
BHPian

Nostalgia!

A review of a decade old film, but one which is still worth watching to kill a couple of hours.

Narendran Makan Jayakanthan Vaka

A 2001 film of Sathyan Anthikkad, I always remember this film because it has a background of the Kannur Airport in Kerala in the story and the actual airport will hopefully soon become operational some time next year. The film also is a satirical commentary on the political scene in Kannur district.

I first saw this movie shortly after it was released in one of the Ernakulam theatres and later added it to my VCD/DVD collection. Fantastic acting by Kunchacko Boban in particular, the dialogues are super sharp (Sreenivasan at its best) and there is a wonderful cameo role by tamil actor Parthibhan. Samyuktha Vama is the leading actress but Asin started her acting career with this film.

Some of the songs in this movie is refreshingly different like the one "karuththa raavinte kannikkitaavoru veluththa muththu" sung by both Chitra and Venugopal and written by Mullanezhi.

If ever you come accross a DVD of this one get it.

Last edited by TKMCE : 16th April 2015 at 15:09.
Old 19th April 2015, 16:32   #727
BHPian

Rasam

2015 Malayalam movie, this one sank without a trace despite Mohanlal (in a cameo role) and Indrajith and no surprises - the movie is hopeless.

To put it bluntly, the producers of this one would have earned more respect if they donated the money spent on this meaningless film to some worthwhile charity instead.

Weak script, stale jokes, actors going through the motions and hardly memorable songs... There is a Thiruvathira song by KS Chithra , but the lyrics of Kavalam Narayana Panicker is a let down and "Parvanendu mukhi" sung by Chithra in Parinayam is far more memorable one.

Leave this one well alone .
Old 19th April 2015, 19:21   #728
BHPian

Bhaskar the rascal

Nice enjoyable masala movie. Leave your brains at home. Mammuka's fights, Nayanthara's beauty and some cheesy comedy kept me happy for 2 1/2 hours. What is the story? who cares!!
Old 19th April 2015, 20:45   #729
Senior - BHPian

O Kadhal Kanmani - Mani Ratnam is back! Had great expectations on this movie, for umpteen reasons and the movie satisfied me to the core and is much better than I expected. Not to be compared with the classic romantic movies Mani Ratnam made in the 80s and 90s. This one is a new age rom-com that deals with a couple who are hesitant to make a long term commitment and ends up living together. The 'living together' part is shown in a realistic way and hasn't gone overboard. Don't expect any twists or sub plots. The story is indeed predictable but every time when we feel that this is going the same old way, Mani Ratnam throws in some brilliant moments and make it interesting. It's a simple movie but what's special is that, Mani Ratnam is in terrific form here. There is a freshness all over the movie and is a feel good entertainer.
The chemistry of the lead pair Dulquer Salman-Nithya Menen is brilliant. Can't think of any other actors doing their roles after watching it. Dulquer impresses with his charm but it's Nithya who steals the show. Prakash Raj and Leela Samson did their part well. Songs are already on the hit charts and this is AR Rahman's best album in recent years. His background score takes the movie to another level. PC Sreeram's visuals are amazing.
Saw the movie 2 days back and I'm still stuck in it. Will surely watch it a couple of more times in theater!

My Rating- 7.5/10 (I hope the rating makes up for my exaggeration in review. Cant help, just loved it to bits)

Last edited by Anand123 : 19th April 2015 at 20:49.
Old 20th April 2015, 19:17   #730
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
O Kadhal Kanmani - Mani Ratnam is back!

My Rating- 7.5/10 (I hope the rating makes up for my exaggeration in review. Cant help, just loved it to bits)

Completely agree with you. Mani Ratnam is back!!! What a movie.
Old 20th April 2015, 19:49   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

OK Kanmani. The songs had me hooked enough to catch the first available show on Friday. Although the story itself is nothing much (as expected from a feel good romantic movie), had all the ingredients needed to make a romantic story work. Great direction, great acting, great chemistry between the lead pair, great cinematography and above all beautiful music. I don't recollect any movie where the songs blend so seamlessly with the narrative. In a sense that was a little disappointing as your focus is split between the song and the narrative itself. Maybe needs another watch to focus on the music.

Dulquer is going to get tons of fans with this. For the Kerala audience, this pairing is already familiar-primarily with Ustad Hotel where they were excellent (one of my favorite movies). So it was good to see this pairing rock once again.
Old 20th April 2015, 22:19   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
O Kadhal Kanmani - Mani Ratnam is back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
Completely agree with you. Mani Ratnam is back!!! What a movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
OK Kanmani. The songs had me hooked enough to catch the first available show on Friday.
I was told that most people in Kerala watch and follow Tamil movies and songs, and on major Tamil releases, the number of screens exceed the screens for Malayalam big stars' movies.

I'm surprised, because most people in TN don't even care to know the basic happenings in Kerala.

May I know the reasons?

Last edited by CliffHanger : 20th April 2015 at 22:21.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:36   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I was told that most people in Kerala watch and follow Tamil movies and songs, and on major Tamil releases, the number of screens exceed the screens for Malayalam big stars' movies.

I'm surprised, because most people in TN don't even care to know the basic happenings in Kerala.

May I know the reasons?
Well I am one of those who have not yet joined the bandwagon being a diehard loyalist of Malayalam movies. Incidentally just before I saw your post here I was giving serious thoughts to ending my obstinacy and checking out Tamil movies.

Well for me , the main reasons I am now thinking of trying out Tamil movies are.

In the last few years Malayalam movies which have come out have been mostly flop after flop. No I am not a lover of serious movies of the type made by G Aravindan/Adoor Gopalakrishnan , I am just looking out for clean family entertainment where I can unwind for a couple of hours with my family. I am very keen that my children do not forget their roots or their mother tongue, so for good movies they join me as well.

The last few years have been a disaster in my opinion, except for a few tried and tested directors like Sathyan Anthikkad or Lal Jose and a few new ones like Anjali Menon or Aashiq Abu.

In desperation, I am now back to watching some of the good movies of the old days and posting reviews here. I am sure I am not the only one who is thinking on the same lines. I saw yet another 2015 movie "Haram" yesterday and I agree 100% with "vb-san" who has reviewed it here. The director had a good topic but in my view, the way he has made a mess of it more or less sums it up - the depths to which (with a few honourable exceptions) , Malayalam cinema is going down nowadays.

And don't even remind me of the songs. I have seen quite a lot of movies which has come out in the last few years and Malayalam lyricists and music directors nowadays seem to have forgotten for instance what is Melody! For me a Melodoy is a song like "katte nee veesharuthippol kaare nee peyyaruthippol aromal thoniyilente jeevante jeevanirippoo " and many other memorable songs in those golden days of Malayalam film music the 70s, 80s, 90s and indeed many of the movies in the first decade of 2000 when many people watched a film equally for hearing the songs as much as for enjoying the movie. What is increasingly coming out nowadays with alarming frequency in my opinion are some garbled sounds barely decipeherable masquerarding as Melody or Music The good hummable songs are few and far between.

But then it can be that the the directors of Haram, Rasam and other flops oif 2015 may well point out that they represent and produce their creative output for the enjoyment of he New Generation and I am of the Old Generation

Would love to hear the views of some of the NG (New Generation) T-BHP members.

Last edited by TKMCE : 21st April 2015 at 09:40.
Old 21st April 2015, 12:28   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

May I know the reasons?
It's true that films of top Tamil stars get more releasing centers than that of Malayalam superstars in Kerala! It's usually the youth audience who goes for these movies. And, it's not just limited to Tamil films; there are many people who follow Hindi and English films too. The newly released Furious 6 is running housefull even in smaller towns. Off late there many teenagers who've started watching Telugu movies too!
I believe it's a good thing when people accept good movies, irrespective of the languages.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:04   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

May I know the reasons?
My thoughts:
The phenomena you mentioned is mostly restricted to the top star, big budget movies. Malayalam movies can never match the scale and grandeur of the big budget tamil/hindi/english movies. Most of the top stars movies in these languages are made on a lavish scale which you cannot see in a Malayalam movie. So we turn to these other language movies to satisfy that need. Among these Tamil is the closest language to Malayalam and most folks can follow it to an extent. So they are the most popular, followed by Hindi and English. A lot of the big budget Telugu movies are also dubbed and released in Kerala.

Another reason are the stars themselves. Kamal and Rajini have always been popular here. During the time when stars like Vijay/Ajit/Surya/Vikram started gaining superstar status in Tamil Nadu (early 2000's), in the Malayalam world there were no younger generation stars that could capture the audience, so the Tamil stars started gaining popularity here also. Also, Vikram spent a large part of his initial days doing small roles in Malayalam movies, so the Kerala audience have a soft corner for him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks