Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2016, 15:22   #961
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Quick reviews of some recent watches. All Malayalam

Thoppil Joppan- Mammootty - Well, Nothing good to say and nothing bad to say. A time pass watch. Mammootty looks dashing and does a great job with his typical brand of comedy. Set of 4 sidekicks support him. Overall reminded me of Thuruppu Gulaan. Salim Kumar manages to raise some laughs.
I had not read this review when I watched the movie - but could not have put it any better. Just about watchable. Fact that I paid only 100 Rs for a good seat at Carnival Cinemas Angamaly made it bearable. The auditorium on a Monday morning had about 20 people. Most of the crowd not surprisingly was for Pulimurugan on the adjacent auditorium which was sold out

Aanandam - Malayalam movie

This one is definitely worth a watch. Movie about a college trip, not surpisingly most of the audiuence seemed to be college kids. But a clean entertainer and this one surely is going to make a potful of money for Vineeth Sreenivasan who has produced it. Suitable for watching with family, the movie is made mostly with youngsters . Nivin Pauly has a cameo.

I also watched again on TV a Malayalam movie which came out 25 years ago, Pookkalam Varavayi directed by Kamal. Main roles by Shamili and Jayaram, this one had a real theme, the impact broken marriages have on young children who are the biggest sufferers. This movie also had a chart buster song by Chitra begining with "Etho Varmukilin Kinvaile Muthay Ne Vannu". I am writing about this movie , since to me atleast it appears that the malayalam films coming out nowadays seems to have little depth , very weak strory lines and mostly lousy songs - many of the songs coming out nowadays can be better described as Cacaphony. Malayalam Cinema in my opinion is now in a trough.
Old 5th November 2016, 06:12   #962
Senior - BHPian

Saw Pulimurugan.

2/5 *

This is a movie for die hard fans of Mohanlal. Nothing new in the story line, similar cliche characters for Namitha, Sooraj et al.

Plus points, as most of you guys pointed out are cinematography and stunts.

Not worth for 530 SEK (150 ticket + 300 petrol(280 Kilometers) + 80 (Espresso + Snacks)).

Espresso helped me a lot . Helped me survive the second half.

The Regional movies thread!-boeingboeing123-1.jpg

Last edited by ecenandu : 5th November 2016 at 06:20.
Old 5th November 2016, 06:38   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Saw Pulimurugan.

Not worth for 530 SEK (150 ticket + 300 petrol(280 Kilometers) + 80 (Espresso + Snacks)).
You drove 280 Kilometer to watch the movie?

You will definitely fall into the category of 'die hard fan of Mohanlal'
Old 5th November 2016, 08:43   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
You drove 280 Kilometer to watch the movie?

You will definitely fall into the category of 'die hard fan of Mohanlal'
Ha ha, far from it buddy. I like movies where story is the star. I was accompanied by die-hard fan, though.

Sadly regional movies are screened only in Stockholm, that too maximum 2 shows.

Thanmathra, Drishyam, Pranchiyettan, Amen, Annayum Rasoolum, Kummatti Paadam are some of the movies I liked, solid 4*.

Last edited by ecenandu : 5th November 2016 at 08:54.
Old 5th November 2016, 12:31   #965
BHPian

Kaashmora [Tamil]

Rating 1.5/5

I still have no clue why I went ahead with booking tickets for this movie.

It did have a few comic moments, but that was it. I would call it a loosely put together movie with certain parts of the story sticking out like a sore thumb.

Feeling happy that I caught up with sleep for an hour during the movie.

Any other survivors ??
Old 7th November 2016, 12:43   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Finger tightly crossed. If it clicks, I guess it will be the first 100 cr malayalam movie.
So my guessing was not wrong. Pulimurugan became the first ever Malayalam movie to enter 100 Crs club 😍😍

http://www.manoramaonline.com/movies...rore-club.html

Kudos to the entire Pulimurugan team.

Cheers!
Old 7th November 2016, 17:11   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
So my guessing was not wrong. Pulimurugan became the first ever Malayalam movie to enter 100 Crs club 😍😍

http://www.manoramaonline.com/movies...rore-club.html

Kudos to the entire Pulimurugan team.

Cheers!
When you initially posted the 100 crore wish, my thought was 'No way that will happen. Seems impossible considering the market and the average teaser'. Happy to be proved wrong

100 crore business for a Malayalam film, that too in just around 30 days. Amazing.
Old 23rd November 2016, 01:01   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched the below Malayalam movies over last week. The pleasant surprise was that a bunch of relatively new Malayalam movies are available on HOTSTAR for free! Does anyone else know such legal print availability?

Kammattipadam: 4/5

A good movie with some solid acting by Vinayakan. I just love such movies where we get to see unused talent and at their best. I was so fascinated by the BGM in many scenes where the movie has a retro theme & the music is very different, but somehow gels so well, like a fusion. Otherwise, the movie is a bit long at close to 3 hours run time.

Jacobinte Swargarajyam: 3/5

A feel good movie inspired from a real life story. Unfortunately, it misses the depth I'd love to see in such movies. It's a family entertainer and Ranji Panicker does a good job.

Kali: 3/5

Another good movie but a very predictable second half. The BGM scores well for this movie too. Nothing remarkable about the movie though.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd November 2016 at 01:03.
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:02   #969
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Pathemari (Malayalam).

A story that's very close to reality. It's about the life of those who go to the Gulf to build a life but can't make it big due to the family commitments.

Can relate to a lot of dialogues as my BIL still works in the Middle East and the expectation is very similar from his family members.

Mammootty at his natural good, though I wish he had more scope. A very good movie for the family audience. Incidentally, this is the movie which finally gave a break from Mammotty's continuous losing streak of 9 movies or so.

Rating : 4/5
Old 28th November 2016, 17:41   #970
Distinguished - BHPian

Kattappanayile Rithwik Roshan

To start off, I wasnt really keen on watching the movie when I saw the trailer plainly because the lead cast didnt excite me. But I was wrong there. And after seeing pretty good reviews, I decided to take the plunge.

The first half will keep you entertained thanks to Siddique, Dharmajan Bolgatty and Salim Kumar (Yes, he is back and does what he is supposed to do - make people laugh). The second half does have some serious moments but it will keep you engaged. The lead actor, Vishnu acted really well. Cant say the same about the lead girl. She was rather bland. Nadirshah and his team got this knack of chipping in old music and dialogues in their movies and have few of them in this.

I would certainly recommend this for a one time watch that will keep you entertained for couple of hours.

Rating - 4/5
Old 5th December 2016, 13:23   #971
Senior - BHPian

Finally saw Pulimurugan...and I wish I didnt!!

Hardly any plot, a meandering and inconsistent story, lots of characters who have absolutely no connection with the story, actions sequences generally seen only in Telugu movies and Mohanlal does the Great Indian Movie Rope trick

And you have a Tiger for a prop - it trips on wires, somersaults and falls in ditches, skids while running across the forest floor (The makers should have watched NGC or Animal Planet, instead of basing the movements on Tom and Jerry). You even have Capuchin monkeys looking on from tree tops (probably escaped from a travelling Brazilian circus - you cant blame the director for that, can you?)

I would rate 1.5/5 - 1 for the awesome location and 0.5 for the very entertaining cameo from Sudheer Karamana
Old 5th December 2016, 14:15   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Kattappanayile Rithwik Roshan

I would certainly recommend this for a one time watch that will keep you entertained for couple of hours.
Rating - 4/5
I agree, for crisp funny dialog and some good laughs. Was a good weekend watch.

The cast was well chosen, Dharmajan contributed very well to the whole light hearted fun.
It is interesting to know the lead Vishnu Unnikrishnan was also the story writer.

Rating - 4.5/5
Old 6th December 2016, 05:24   #973
Team-BHP Support

Oozham - Malayalam

I watched this movie over the weekend, with high expectations - being a Prithviraj and Jeetu Joseph movie. Right from the start, it felt stupid. The storyline lacked connect, and the characters failed to invoke any sense of emotion from us as an audience. Add to it the unnecessarily dragged slow motion effects and you have the perfect cocktail for irritation.

Wasted opportunity, clearly.

Rating : 1.5*
Old 6th December 2016, 06:54   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I would rate 1.5/5 - 1 for the awesome location and 0.5 for the very entertaining cameo from Sudheer Karamana
0.5 less than what I gave.

I will tell what ruined our experience, hype and expectation. Anyway, majority of the audience have taken the movie positively, fans alone can't propel the movie to collect more than 100 crores.
Old 7th December 2016, 14:50   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
0.5 less than what I gave.

I will tell what ruined our experience, hype and expectation. Anyway, majority of the audience have taken the movie positively, fans alone can't propel the movie to collect more than 100 crores.
Oh no, not expectation. I was sufficiently forewarned about this being a mass movie - but I did not expect a 70s plot. Only thing the villain lacked were 'mudala kunjungal' and yellow and red lights of Jose Prakash times

The reason this was a hit is the 'new' for Malayalam Tiger visuals and the easy to identify between the good and the bad. No greys

Last edited by mallumowgli : 7th December 2016 at 14:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks