Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 08:00   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Alamara

A decent watch. Sunny Wayne is the last guy that comes to my mind when I watch a movie but this was pretty ok. Renji Panicker and the other supporting actors did a neat job. The heroine was average.

Rating - 3/5 (DVD watch)

Take Off

I have the same opinion as BHPian Rajeev. The first half is really slow and boring and makes up for it in the second half. Parvathy and Fahad were brilliant and Kunchacko did his role neatly. A gripping background score to add the final touch.

Rating - 4/5 (recommended)

The Great Father

Movie about a father-daughter relation and how he deals with it during an unfortunate event. All the actors have done a good job in this but I felt Arya was a bit over at times (Mammootty seems to be aging backwards). Gopi Sundar's movie score was good and kept up with the theme and visuals. The climax/suspense is good but I would have picked a better cast for that (hard to visualize that superb language/accent with him). The movie starts off well but feels long and can be dragging at times. PS - They could have given him better cars.

Rating - 3.5/5 (recommended)
Old 11th April 2017, 11:51   #1007
BHPian

Kaatru Velliyidai (Thamizh)

Crew: Mani Ratnam, A.R. Rahman

When geniuses unite, we all know what the results will be. This film is no different. An absolute romantic feast for all the romantics out there.

Coming to the technicalities - the acting from Aditi Rao Hydari, the direction, the music, the cinematography, all seamlessly flow among each other making it a spellbinding viewing experience. The Nallai Allai song being the highest point of all of it, it just took my breathe away.

It's a simple love story between a narcissistic-yet-goodhearted handsome man and a beautiful girl who is a pure romantic at heart. This film is for all those deep people who understand and appreciate different and unique human personalities.

A must watch for all the romantics out there. This is the best Mani Ratnam's romantic film!

Rating - 5 stars

Last edited by CliffHanger : 11th April 2017 at 12:07.
Old 11th April 2017, 12:00   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Take Off

[/b]I have the same opinion as BHPian Rajeev. The first half is really slow and boring and makes up for it in the second half. Parvathy and Fahad were brilliant and Kunchacko did his role neatly. A gripping background score to add the final touch.

[b]Rating - 4/5 (recommended)

This movie is kind of an eye opener as to how real world is during war,especially when it happens at M.E.
Old 18th April 2017, 08:13   #1009
Distinguished - BHPian

Puthan Panam

Starts off with demonetisation, money laundering etc and then the movie goes in a different direction. The story is what we have seen in many movies. Mammootty does look stylish and delivers the Kasaragod slang really well (hard to understand at times). BGM and songs does disappoint you (sort of 90's techno music that doesnt gel with the movie theme). Expected a better one from Ranjith.

Rating - 1/5 (can be avoided)
Old 18th April 2017, 08:32   #1010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Kaatru Velliyidai (Thamizh)

Crew: Mani Ratnam, A.R. Rahman

When geniuses unite, we all know what the results will be. This film is no different. An absolute romantic feast for all the romantics out there.

Coming to the technicalities - the acting from Aditi Rao Hydari, the direction, the music, the cinematography, all seamlessly flow among each other making it a spellbinding viewing experience. The Nallai Allai song being the highest point of all of it, it just took my breathe away.

It's a simple love story between a narcissistic-yet-goodhearted handsome man and a beautiful girl who is a pure romantic at heart. This film is for all those deep people who understand and appreciate different and unique human personalities.

A must watch for all the romantics out there. This is the best Mani Ratnam's romantic film!

Rating - 5 stars
Absolutely horrible movie in my opinion. Clueless as to why there is a hype around it, specially considering that the industry has given birth to many beautiful movies or the same genre in the past.

1. It's not love, it's sheer abuse of the lady. Pushing her around, twisting her arm, making fun of her in front of friends, insulting her parents, making her pregnant and forgetting to arrive at own marriage registration - and finally portraying that the girl should forget all, give birth to the child, raise the child and accept the guy!

2. The end of the first day after they go out together, there is a close up scene of the hero and heroine, their expressions supposed to convey the attraction they had for each other.

Frankly, I haven't seen a worse expression of love by a hero in these recent days atleast. Looked like he was looking at an ice cream scoop, one which he is unable to eat because of constipation. I do love some of his other casual roles like in Paiyya, but he failed totally in the closeup romantic scenes in this one.

Wanted to walk out during the interval!

3. But unfortunately didn't, only to witness some cliched 90s action scenes involving army guys chasing on bikes, trucks, throwing makeshift petrol bombs and the final crashing through a gate into safe territory. Direction was cliched mix of many movies of the past, that I'd surely not have guess it was from such a big director had my wife not pointed it out.

Rating - 2/5

One point for the music, and one for the heroine.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:02   #1011
BHPian

Kadugu (Tamil) - (U) Rated

A brilliant and riveting movie by Vijay Milton, starring Rajkumaran (Director, Actor, better known as yester year heroine Devayani's husband), Bharath, Radhika Prasidhha, Bharath Seeni and Subiksha. This is one of the finest movies I had seen, in the recent times.What seems to unfold as a light hearted entertainer at the beginning, packs in heavy subjects of child sexual abuse and rape. The kind of a movie which gives you mixed emotions and leaves you pondering over the hard realities of life, long after you leave the movie hall. It makes you introspect, look at your inner self and makes you understand how it feels to share love and spread happiness. More importantly it emphasizes on staying truthful to your inner conscience.

Rajkumaran's role will be remembered for a very long time. He has played the humble Puli Paandi, a character so powerless and meek but is moral, righteous and selfless. On the other hand you have a powerful Bharath playing Nambi who is rich and influential, yet when faced with a situation where he should have stood the moral high ground, instead chooses to be naive and remains silent due to selfishness. Radhika Prasidhha suits the role of an school teacher aptly and the way she handles her emotions, personal loss, pain, and carries on with life, with a fighting spirit is simply outstanding. Bharath Seenu as Anirudh who struggles to convey his unrequited love, is comic, yet his struggles make you uncomfortable. All the other characters, such as the policemen, the school child, the florist all have played their parts right, making this plot so grippy and interesting.

The movie is set in Tharangampadi(Tranquebar). The movie ends with Puli Paandi's words ringing in your ears that "It is not important how others see you. But how you see yourself in the mirror, is more important". Left me slightly disturbed at the end. The title Kadugu meaning mustard, suits aptly the character of Rajkumaran. So small, so very insignificant, yet chooses to revolt and fight against evil!

I don't know how this movie has been received by the mainstream public, what business it did, whether it was a box office hit or not, but it is raw and truthful which deserves my respect. It will be a critically acclaimed movie for years to some, for sure.

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 19th April 2017 at 01:05.
Old 28th April 2017, 14:21   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Saw Baahubali 2 and I liked it. The first half is amazing and leaves you at a crescendo. But the second half couldn't keep up with it. And the CGI could do well, its a bit too artificial at times. But the screenplay is brilliant and the interplay between the characters is really well done. There are many great moments and its a must watch in a cinema hall.
Old 28th April 2017, 14:35   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Saw Baahubali 2 and I liked it. The first half is amazing and leaves you at a crescendo. But the second half couldn't keep up with it. And the CGI could do well, its a bit too artificial at times. But the screenplay is brilliant and the interplay between the characters is really well done. There are many great moments and its a must watch in a cinema hall.
Congrats on writing the first review (Opinion) on Bahubali 2 ! !

Hope Many more talks on this topic would start in a day or two !!

Waiting to see the comments and detailed review
Old 28th April 2017, 20:01   #1014
BHPian

Watched Bahubali 2 in Hindi and am completely awed by it. Rajamouli leaves no stone unturned and offers yet another magnanimous watch. It's basically the cinematography that's mindboggling. Kudos to Prabhas, Anushka, Sathya Raj, Rana, Ramya Krishna and everyone involved, for their superb performances in this fantastic project. Rating 4.5/5. Telugu guys deserve full appreciation.

Honestly speaking , if any critic mentions about any exaggeration, then that's being hypocrite. Had the same thing been shown in Hollywood, people would be going gaga over it. Hence, for me Bahubali project deserves full appreciation.

Last edited by vivek95 : 28th April 2017 at 20:03. Reason: Spell check
Old 1st May 2017, 18:25   #1015
BHPian

Watched power paandi aka Pa Paandi Tamil movie last weekend since Bahubali 2 was priced very expensive!! Coming to the movie , couldn't believe that this was the directorial debut for Dhanush ! Raj Kiran plays the lead role. The movie talks about a sensitive topic of having a partner in the last years. The movie was really good and I enjoyed the parts where the 64 year old lead messages his 1st love via facebook. Totally hilarious scene. The flashback scene could have been handled better. Overall an enjoyable watch with family. The icing on the cake was Sean Roldan's music and bgm.

I would rate 4/5
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:16   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Saw Baahubali 2 and I liked it. ... screenplay is brilliant and the interplay between the characters is really well done. There are many great moments and its a must watch in a cinema hall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Watched Bahubali 2 in Hindi and am completely awed by it. ..
Watched Baahubali 2, couldn't agree more. Definitely a theater watch. Bigger the screen better.

The character choice, their acting, the screen play it is all well done. There are few over the top scenes, but then when you remind yourself that it is a fantasy movie, you just settle down and enjoy it.

I am now fan of this style of shooting, which is, shoot the entire movie in one long stretch, release it in installments. Of course, you have to stop the first one with a nail biting question...

Baahubali 2 : 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
...since Bahubali 2 was priced very expensive!!
That is one good thing watching it outside India, here in Doha, ticket prices are controlled. Hit movie or not, they cost the same.
Only increase is if you choose iMax or premium ones like Novo.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:05   #1017
BHPian

Watched Bahubali 2 on Friday at Event Cinemas Hornsby Sydney. First day second show. Awesome is an understatement.

The way the suspense is carried well into the middle of second half is awesome, that carries the essence of the whole movie, the rest is just a customary finish to the story, with a Rajamouli touch. I'm impressed, lots of moments where you are at the edge of your seats, Goosebumps galore... Overall a great effort, with a scope for a part three. Must watch again.

Mind you I'm a big fan of the whole enterprise, what the team is trying and achieving, so my views could be biased. One or two scenes may feel a little too much, to me they just add to the whole experience, Hollywood does even more worse stuff and we all applaud...

4.5+/5
Old 13th May 2017, 17:55   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Been a regular on Amazon Prime now a days. Watched a couple of Tamil movies recently.

Joker :: Splendid performance by the protagonist. Shows how a man fights for one's own rights (for everyone) and how our society couldn't care. Read it's a national award winner and would recommend as a watch. The movie is serious but it has own fine funny moments.

Athe Kangal : One time watch. The female lead is the highlight of the movie. I liked the police man (Panchu) more than the male lead.
Old 13th May 2017, 20:16   #1019
BHPian

Amazon prime seems to be showcasing all the good tamil movies released recently...

Today watched, Maanagram - Wonderful movie
Old 13th May 2017, 23:22   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one who felt Bahubali was mediocre? The CGI was over the top and even amateurish at times!!

Most Viewed