Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 11:18   #1201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Watched Kannada movie Nathicharami on the New Year's.
Taboo topic made into a movie in a neat way by director Mansore. Straight, slow and intense. Not too many will like it...I saw many leaving the movie hall as well Although I liked it, friends who watched along with me, felt that it would've been better if it was a short film rather than a full drawn movie.
Also Shruthi Hariharan's recent metoo case against Arjun Sarja has led many people (even some of her fans) to boycott her movies...so it'll not be a commercial succes for sure!
Keeping that aside, the movie is all about Shruthi Hariharan who has demonstrated her acting prowess. Balaji Manohar as Dr. Carvalho and Sharanya as a neglected wife are two other noteworthy acting performances.
Music and lyrics in isolation was decent but when I saw it with the movie, it was wonderfully complimenting the story and situation.
Not the usual entertainment movie but more of a film festival kind of movie, may not be everyone's cup of tea.

3.5/5 overall
Old 12th January 2019, 07:43   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Watched Kannada movie Ananthu v/s Nusrath yesterday, it is a refreshing experience to watch this movie. Kudos to director Sudheer Shanubog for his efforts, it is a conventional love story which ends in marriage through a series of religious and family sentiments. There are no one liners, item songs, violence or any exaggeration of the hero or any characters.

Last edited by deehunk : 12th January 2019 at 08:06.
Old 14th January 2019, 11:49   #1203
Distinguished - BHPian

Any views on Petta? Especially by non-tamilians / non-hardcore Rajni fans?
Old 14th January 2019, 12:14   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I have never been an ardent Rajni fan myself. But watched Petta over the weekend because my wife wanted to, and since I respect the Director Karthik Subburaj's work. The movie was a complete entertainer, and the music and BGM played a major role in building Rajni's character in the movie. One cannot help but be inspired by Rajni's on-screen charisma and the energy he displays. Of course there still is the usual action scene where the hero bashes 20 people, but even those leave-your-logic-outside-the-theater scenes have been composed very convincingly with pumping BGM to go along. I was very impressed, and this is definitely one of the few Rajni movies that I wouldn't mind watching another time in the theatre. The intro scene was almost like it is from a DC / Marvel movie with shadows and yellow lighting and interesting camera angles.

I was definitely Rajni-fied with this movie like the trailer promised!
Old 14th January 2019, 23:19   #1205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Watched couple of days back. The good thing is that unlike the recent Rajni movies (Kaala, Kabali), where the director was attempting to balance the mass with some class, in Petta the director has no such confusion. It is mass masala all the way. With ample references to his old films, it is what you can expect from a Rajni film. So if you like his old time template movies, this will be entertaining.

Was a little strange to see top names in not too significant roles- Vijay Sethupathi, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Trisha, Simran, Sasikumar- All under utilized. Looked like everyone just wanted to be part of a Rajni film.
Old 15th January 2019, 10:21   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Watched Petta yesterday and left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Movie had some real good typical Rajini moments that had the inner child in me clap but that feeling started to drown out towards the end.

Vijay Sethupathi was good in my opinion and Nawazuddin also did his part well but Simran and Trisha were so badly under utilized. Not complaining, just a point

I just had a bad opinion about how casually and wantonly he dispatches his enemies.

Songs and music were bad.

Top moment: when his name is called and he turns and sits on the jeep!
Old 15th January 2019, 10:55   #1207
Distinguished - BHPian

Petta: 3 / 5
So I finally got tickets to watch the movie - overall I felt happy and disappointed. First half was good; especially the chemistry between Simran and Rajni without even speaking a lot. Thalaivaa was in his element during the first half completely before we get into the flashback mode.

From there the movie starts boring you; and finally the last 30-45 mins are just dragging on; what should have been probably a 15 mins final fight scene was pushed to nearly an hour.

There were some really good performances; Vijay Sethupathi was brilliant, holding his stead against Rajni completely. I really felt Bobby Simha was limited by his short role; but he did a good job of whatever he had on his hands. Siddiqui was clearly handicapped by the language; at several points his lip movements did not match the voiceover at all; but otherwise the man can act for sure.

Absolutely brilliant cinematography - whether it was the hill station(s), or the drive to Lucknow city; or the campus setup; this was a job well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
One cannot help but be inspired by Rajni's on-screen charisma and the energy he displays.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Vijay Sethupathi was good in my opinion and Nawazuddin also did his part well but Simran and Trisha were so badly under utilized. Not complaining, just a point
Top moment: when his name is called and he turns and sits on the jeep!
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Was a little strange to see top names in not too significant roles- Vijay Sethupathi, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Trisha, Simran, Sasikumar- All under utilized. Looked like everyone just wanted to be part of a Rajni film.
Agree completely - is this the indication of the transition towards the different "industry" completely?
Old 15th January 2019, 11:50   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Petta: 3 / 5

Absolutely brilliant cinematography - whether it was the hill station(s), or the drive to Lucknow city; or the campus setup; this was a job well done.
:
Saw the movie. Kind of liked it, particular the cinematography. Which hill station is it?

Vijay Setupati as usual brilliant. Trisha wasted.

Would give a 3.5/5 rating
Old 21st January 2019, 18:27   #1209
BANNED

Saw "Hemlock Society" (Bengali starring Parambrata and Koyel among others) a few days ago. A tongue-in-cheek take on the broad issue of euthanasia. Another well-made Bengali film after some time, directed by Srijit Mukherjee.
Old 24th January 2019, 22:17   #1210
Senior - BHPian

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46984569

Milk traders have filed FIR against fans stealing milk in TN !
Old 25th January 2019, 11:13   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Saw the movie. Kind of liked it, particular the cinematography. Which hill station is it?

Vijay Setupati as usual brilliant. Trisha wasted.

Would give a 3.5/5 rating
It was shot in Darjeeling, I think
Old 26th January 2019, 12:45   #1212
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Petta (Tamil) - 3.5/5
Overall, a watchable Rajni movie. Karthik Subburaj and team deserve a pat on their backs to have made this similar (story and character elements) to the Rajni hits of yore and yet also appeal to the younger generation. I'm not an Anirudh fan, but the music overall is decent with good background score as well. Cinematography is also nice as are the locales. Supporting cast has done very well especially Vijay Sethupathi, Nawazuddin Siddiqui has done well but probably the language barrier did have some impact in not getting his best in certain scenes. Trisha, Simran do not get much screen time and Sasikumar has a short role that he has done well.

Though quite long, especially the second half, doesn't get boring and manages to keep the viewer engaged with Rajni hogging screen time.

Given that violence is an integral part of the story, not a single shot of Rajni smoking or drinking (he drinks Tea though!) also probably keeping in mind his image to be projected for the future foray into public life.

Last edited by NPV : 26th January 2019 at 12:50.
Old 1st February 2019, 02:26   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Surprised that tamil movie 'Vada Chennai' isn't reviewed in this thread, I saw it only recently though it was released four months back. This is a gangster movie that takes one back through the 80s and 90s in Chennai. A must see for those from that generation. And, the music is awesome composed by Santosh Narayanan.

I can't stop listening to this song 'ennadi mayavee nee'. The original video has close to nine million views but has a risque cover so posting this video of my favorite song from the movie sung by Berklee College of music grad Sid Sriram

Movie preview

Old 3rd February 2019, 10:24   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone watched "Peranbu" in Tamil in Pune? Wanted to know if it comes with English subtitles. This is not being shown in Malayalam in Pune as of now. While I can follow Tamil quite well, my family does not.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:03   #1215
BHPian

K G F Chapter 1
is now available on Amazon Prime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks