Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2019, 20:49   #1306
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

This movie is ONLY meant for mature audiences.

Its a long movie with a run time of almost 3 hours. But very good direction, taut screen play and excellent acting by everyone makes it a must watch. Its available on Netflix.

I will not venture into the movie plot because its a combination of multiple storylines that blend into each other.

Vijay Sethupathi shines in his role. He is one of the best actors in Tamil industry and is leagues ahead of everyone else.
Samantha especially in the climax scenes manages to completely dominate the scene with her acting.

Special mention on the evil cop. He is scary in the most menacing way.
Old 12th July 2019, 23:59   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its a long movie with a run time of almost 3 hours. But very good direction, taut screen play and excellent acting by everyone makes it a must watch. Its available on Netflix.

I will not venture into the movie plot because its a combination of multiple storylines that blend into each other.

Vijay Sethupathi shines in his role. He is one of the best actors in Tamil industry and is leagues ahead of everyone else.
Samantha especially in the climax scenes manages to completely dominate the scene with her acting.

Lots of people I know did not like the movie. I thought it was a wonderful movie - ahead of its time. I like how the movie combined the different storylines and did not preach - leaving the viewer to decide.
Old 14th July 2019, 07:44   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Its a long movie with a run time of almost 3 hours.
OH MY GOD!!! I have sat through Cheran's 3+ hours saga, but I simply could not finish watching the 2 min odd trailer of this movie. The same old 'Puli' crap being repeated again and again just got on to my nerve.

Agreed. This is not just for everyone but is targeted at specific audience. Not for me definitely.
Old 14th July 2019, 12:54   #1309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Lots of people I know did not like the movie. I thought it was a wonderful movie - ahead of its time. I like how the movie combined the different storylines and did not preach - leaving the viewer to decide.
Totally agree! Wonderful movie and brilliant performances by all the actors; Samantha, Fahad, Ramya Krishnan, Vijay Sethupathi, the kids, inspector guy, all did a wonderful job.
Old 14th July 2019, 15:48   #1310
Distinguished - BHPian

While I liked Super Deluxe. Did not think it as wow as most of the reviews described it. A good one enhanced by some brilliant performances and the way it has been shot. Netflix picture and sound quality is top notch.

Also watched Vellai Pookal (Tamil) on Prime. Was a good TV watch.

Couple of others watched were Maharshi(Telugu) and NGK( Tamil). Maharshi had some really unbelievable stuff but did touch upon a couple of relevant themes. No comments on NGK.. The great talent Surya has is wasted in film after film.
Old 14th July 2019, 16:02   #1311
BHPian

Gave a miss to Kumbalangi Nights when it was showing in theaters in Chennai assuming waste of money considering all the new comers.
I couldn't be more wrong.
Had some free time yesterday and watched it on Amazon Prime. Never a dull moment. Everyone has done justice to their roles. The ever smiling Fahad had that menacing background which was revealed in the climax.
Old 19th July 2019, 21:06   #1312
mxx
BHPian

I love thrillers, and having already watched most good English and Hindi thrillers, I have been searching for good regional movies in amazon prime.

My recommendations:
Virus (malayalam) - A medical thriller based on true events during the 2018 Nipah virus breakout in Kerala.
Vellai Pookal (Tamil) - crime thriller
Kavaludaari (Kannada) - crime thriller

I dont know all these languages myself, subtitles helped.
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:22   #1313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The movie got reviewed by one of my favorite Youtube channels on movies:

This is an excellent place for some great movie trivia, reviews and so on.
Old 22nd July 2019, 14:18   #1314
BHPian

Watched Virus on prime over the weekend. Good story telling and good acting by all the actors.

Soubin's acting was top notch.
Old 22nd July 2019, 14:47   #1315
BHPian

Watched two Malayalam movies on Amazon Prime over the weekend!

KUMBALANGI NIGHTS - 4.5/5
Beautifully made movie with a simple family theme. Soubin and Fahad have both acted wonderfully. The set of newcomers have also done their part. I usually HATE songs in regional movies, but the way the songs were inducted into the story line was brilliant and enjoyable.

VAARIKUZHIYILE KOLAPATHAKAM - 4/5
Not sure how many of you guys have even heard of this movie! Scenes started showing up on my YouTube feed and decided to watch. A crime thriller based in Kuttanad - cinematography is awesome! Have any of you watched a movie where the 'Hero' is a Christian Priest who drives a nicely decked Mahindra Thar!? Well made movie worth more than just a watch.
Old 22nd July 2019, 15:03   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Watched Virus last evening, and came back quite pleased...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
VIRUS - 5/5

What an exceptional movie! ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Virus (malayalam) - A medical thriller based on true events during the 2018 Nipah virus breakout in Kerala....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Watched Virus on prime over the weekend. Good story telling and good acting by all the actors...
Watched Virus - surprisingly good at the start, before unnecessarily becoming overly melodramatic & taking too long to roll up the end credits.

To those who liked Virus, i would highly recommend Contagion (2011), which accurately shows Nipah's ground zero and how it spreads from its natural host. Its maybe Aashiq Abu's inspiration ;-)

Last edited by WindRide : 22nd July 2019 at 15:08.
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:40   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
To those who liked Virus, i would highly recommend Contagion (2011), which accurately shows Nipah's ground zero and how it spreads from its natural host. Its maybe Aashiq Abu's inspiration ;-)
Good suggestion. On my watchlist now.
Old 28th July 2019, 23:01   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While I liked Super Deluxe. Did not think it as wow as most of the reviews described it.
Vijay sethupathi carries this movie on his own. Movie - VS = 0.
Niche audience only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Also watched Vellai Pookal (Tamil) on Prime. Was a good TV watch.
An excellent script with twists, let down by the stilted acting of Vivek. An extremely wrong choice as the lead actor.

Last edited by WindRide : 28th July 2019 at 23:02.
Old 29th July 2019, 07:35   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
An excellent script with twists, let down by the stilted acting of Vivek. An extremely wrong choice as the lead actor.
I disagree with you. If you remove the perception of how Vivek the comedian is expected to react to certain scenes, u will find his acting excellent. I realized after watching it the second tim. 😀
Old 29th July 2019, 11:27   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Kavaludaari (Kannada) - crime thriller
Thanks for suggesting Kavaludaari. Watched it yesterday. Found to be a very good movie. A first thriller Kannada movie for me. I saw a Kannada movie after a very long time, I think 5 yrs+ to be precise.

Would request to suggest many more such Kannada Movies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks