Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2019, 09:53   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
If our Malayali members can suggest some more good movies to watch, would be much obliged.
Also if you could include the streaming service where I can watch them.
You can add 1983 as well. A nice story on cricket from a football crazy state.

I can see a few people who like Fahadh in this thread. I think he is one actor in Malayalam mainstream cinema after Mohanlal to have such a nice range in acting. How effortlessly he enters into the roles takes me back to Bharatam days of Mohanlal.

Have been hearing similar good things about Vijay Sethupathi from Tamil industry as well. Not seen any movies of his though.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th August 2019 at 10:12. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2019, 12:26   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The number 2 above , I guess it meant either Maradona or theevandi. Mahanadi is the Malayalam version of the Telugu Savitri biopic mahanati.

Immediate recommendation is Uyare on Netflix. Parvathy, Tovino and Asif Ali. If you are a Fahad Fazil fan now, below are recommended
Thondimuthalum driksakshiyum (Netflix)
Annayum Rasoolum (Netflix)
Varathan ( hotstar)
Thank you for the suggestions. Will watch all of them.
Yes I made a mistake. Should have typed Mayaanadhi
Becoming a fan of Fahadh Faasil, Dulquer, Tovino & Nivin. The next gen of Malayalam cinema I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
You are correct, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Some of these movies are available on sunnxt.com. It's a streaming service like Prime/netflix but without any subs.
Also try justwatch.com. You can search your titles here and see on which streaming service it's available.
Yes Sir, will check the website and sunnxt too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
You can add 1983 as well. A nice story on cricket from a football crazy state.
I can see a few people who like Fahadh in this thread.
Have been hearing similar good things about Vijay Sethupathi from Tamil industry as well. Not seen any movies of his though.
Will see 1983.
Saw Fahadh Faasil for the first time in Kumbalangi Nights in his villain role.
Then saw him as the male nurse in Njan Prakashan and as a photographer in Maheshinte Prathikaaram . How effortlessly he performs each role, I feel I am standing next a normal person doing these roles and not an actor.

With regard to Vijay Sethupathi, I would recommend you start with Vikram Vedha which is available for free on YouTube but in Hindi.
So you will miss out on the language nuances but can still enjoy the movie. Madhavan is very good as always.

A reviewer online said that she never noticed while watching but was later informed by another critic that as the movie progresses, the clothes worn by both the main protagonist change from white for the cop & black for the villain to grey as the movie progresses signifying that no person is 100% good or bad.

His first movie I saw was Pizza - a very unlike Tamil movie.
Here are some movies of his that I have seen
96 - slow love story.
Chekka Chivantha Vaanam - here he is a cop and it is a Mani Rathnam crime based movie.
Soodhu Kavvum
Jigarthanda - good movie but he has a very small role.
Old 17th August 2019, 12:34   #1338
Team-BHP Support

Watched a few Malayalam movies during my recent trip to Kerala. Amazon Prime has got great collection of Malayalam releases but sadly none of those are available in Singapore.

Virus (4.5/5.0) (Prime): Brilliantly done! And I should say that the casting director has done a wonderful job. For example, the casting of Madonna Sebastian; a fruitful role for her after her debut in Premam.

Uyare (5.0/5/0) (NetFlix): Another good one. Standout performances, especially by Parvathi, Siddique, Tovino etc. Again great casting; even the girl who played Parvathi's friend was really good.

Pathinettam Padi 0.0/5.0 (Prime): Cliche fest! Nothing more to say...

Satyam Paranja Viswasikuo 2.0/5.0 Had high hopes on this seeing the promos and also with the fact that the movie was the writer's next after the wonderful Thondimuthal. A bit of laughs in the first half, but quite an underwhelming experience.

Margamkali 3.0/5.0 Went to watch this as it is a norm to catch at least one movie in Theatre while in Thrissur (my hometown), and the options were very limited. Surprisingly this was a watchable one, especially with the likes of Harish Kanaran, Baiju and Siddique in it.
Old 17th August 2019, 12:41   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I know and I blame it for poor availability of Kannada movie shows in Mumbai. Mostly interested in thrillers than the melodramatic ones.

Thanks for the suggestions, will connect with you soon.
Watch Bell Bottom, Samhara is also a good thriller movie. I recently watched Njan Prakashan and liked it very much. I watched Lucifer in splits between Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam.

Last edited by deehunk : 17th August 2019 at 12:45.
Old 17th August 2019, 12:42   #1340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Becoming a fan of Fahadh Faasil, Dulquer, Tovino & Nivin. The next gen of Malayalam cinema I guess.

Saw Fahadh Faasil for the first time in Kumbalangi Nights in his villain role.
Then saw him as the male nurse in Njan Prakashan and as a photographer in Maheshinte Prathikaaram . How effortlessly he performs each role, I feel I am standing next a normal person doing these roles and not an actor.
If kumbalangi is the first you saw of Fahad , I guess you have not seen Bangalore Days. Fahad with Nivin and Dulquer. One of the best ensemble cast movies.

Few more that shows Fahad's range

Oru Indian Pranayakatha
North 24 Khatam
Iyobinte pustakam
Take Off
Carbon
Amen
Red Wine
22 Female Kottayam
Diamond Necklace
Old 17th August 2019, 13:22   #1341
BHPian

Watched Nathicharami (Kannada) yesterday.

Rating : 3 /5

The film won 5 national awards including best Kannada film of 2019.

Quote:
Nathicharami is about Gowri whose life is perplexed between her physical desires and emotional beliefs. The film narrates the struggles of the protagonist in a society that believes physical desires can only be followed by a nuptial. She is stuck in her ordinary life with people from her daily life pattern who talk about their notions that are in contrary to the other. Finally, when she feels that she has overcome her ambiguity, the situation takes a leap. The film also brings the audience's attention towards the nuances women from different walks of life face.
Source

Whereas Sruthi Hariharn's acting is good, others were average.

The camerawork could have been better. A lot of traffic noise in the background during dialogues left lot to be desired on the audio aspect.

I felt Harivu by the same director, which also won the award, was much better.
Old 17th August 2019, 14:20   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With regard to Vijay Sethupathi, I would recommend you start with Vikram Vedha which is available for free on YouTube but in Hindi.
So you will miss out on the language nuances but can still enjoy the movie. Madhavan is very good as always.

A reviewer online said that she never noticed while watching but was later informed by another critic that as the movie progresses, the clothes worn by both the main protagonist change from white for the cop & black for the villain to grey as the movie progresses signifying that no person is 100% good or bad.
Thanks. I will start with Vikram Vedha.
Regarfimg 1983 let me clarify, its not Fahadh, but a Nivin Pauly starrer.
With Nivin Pauly, I guess you would have already seen Premam. If not, then recomended.
Oru Vadakkan Selfie is anothe Nivin Pauly movie you should see.
I should not leave out Drishyam. Do watch if you have not seen the Mohanlal starrer, which also happens to be among the highest rated Indian movies in IMDB.

Neelakaasham Pachakadal chuvanna bhoomi- Dulqur Salman.

And since no one mentioned, you should also not miss out on Varathan. I think available on Hotstar.
Quote:
If kumbalangi is the first you saw of Fahad , I guess you have not seen Bangalore Days. Fahad with Nivin and Dulquer. One of the best ensemble cast movies.

Take Off
Fahad surely aces this one, but it is also a showpiece of what Parvathy is capable of. Stupendous acting.

Last edited by vibbs : 17th August 2019 at 14:25.
Old 17th August 2019, 21:15   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
If kumbalangi is the first you saw of Fahad , I guess you have not seen Bangalore Days.
Haven't seen Bangalore Days. Will line it up for viewing too.
Thank you for that list of movies to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
With Nivin Pauly, I guess you would have already seen Premam. If not, then recomended.
Oru Vadakkan Selfie is anothe Nivin Pauly movie you should see.
I should not leave out Drishyam.
Neelakaasham Pachakadal chuvanna bhoomi- Dulqur Salman.
And since no one mentioned, you should also not miss out on Varathan. I think available on Hotstar.
Saw original Drishyam in Malayalam then followed it up in its Telugu, Tamil (Papanasam) & Hindi versions.
Was particularly keen to see the Tamil version to see how Kamal Haasan would do the role as the director is the same.
Haven't seen Premam, will add it to my list to watch.
Same for Varathan & Neelakaasham Pachakadal chuvanna bhoomi

Saw "Ustad Hotel" on Hotstar today. Enjoyed this simple movie.
Old 19th August 2019, 10:34   #1344
BHPian

Watched Thanneer Mathan Dhinangal, one another amazing flick of this year. The cast and crew did a splendid job of essaying a story on Higher Secondary school kids life. A school kids three different problems in his life is portrayed in a natural way.
I'm sure this one won't disappoint any audience.

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:01   #1345
BANNED

Hello All, there is this kannada movie by the name " Pallavi Anupallavi", which depicts old bengaluru days. A good one with a good story and good acting too. Songs of this movie are pretty famous too.
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:37   #1346
Team-BHP Support

Caught up with Oru Kupprasidha Payyan. Amazing movie (I love courtroom dramas!) and Nimisha Sajayan rightfully earned the state award for the best actress this year. She did her role of an inexperienced defence counsel and the gradual transition to a composed, self-reliant one, amazingly well. Tovino, too did a great job. Please do watch!

Didn't quite know that it was based on a true story.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd August 2019 at 08:38.
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:46   #1347
BHPian

Thanks everyone for sharing some real good movies here. Thanks to Prime with subtitles, I've now started to watch Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi movies

Would appreciate if you all mention the source of your movie watching - Netflix, Prime, hotstar, etc.

And can anyone say if Premam is available in any of the streaming platforms?
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:49   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Thanks everyone for sharing some real good movies here. Thanks to Prime with subtitles, I've now started to watch Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi movies

Would appreciate if you all mention the source of your movie watching - Netflix, Prime, hotstar, etc.

As far as I remember it should be on hotstar
Old 22nd August 2019, 21:30   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Yes, Premam is available for free on hotstar.
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:09   #1350
BHPian

Watched 96-Tamil movie with english sub titles.
Its a feel good movie narrating a child hood love story started in 10th class and how it went on through life.
Story might have been routine but the direction/narration of scenes has been good.

Most Viewed