Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 06:51   #1516
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Gauthamante Radham

If you want to watch a movie with a rather simple storyline, a theme that resonates with us as members of a car forum, coupled with soothing music and heart warming performances from the cast... do watch Gauthamante Radham (Malayalam).

The Regional movies thread!-poster.jpg

Currently available on Amazon Prime, the movie tells the story of a youngster's love for cars, and the desire to own one someday and the journey while the car is like a member of the family, rather than just a piece of metal on wheels. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and also found myself resonating with the emotions on display.

Thanks a lot to those who recommended it on this thread. I made sure i watched it the same evening.

Rating : 4/5 stars from me.
benbsb29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 07:50   #1517
Senior - BHPian

I watched Gauramante radham earlier this week. Nice heartwarming story that is not too complicated or with any deeper meanings. Time well spent

Only fly in the ointment was the quality on YouTube.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 12:51   #1518
RYP
BHPian

I love watching Hyper-Realistic movies time and again. Stumbled across 3 such gems recently. Astonishingly all 3 had a single point of reference - Death. The way death is portrayed in different vantage points were totally surreal and sent chills down my spine.

They are,

1. Baaram (Tamil, PrimeVideo):

This is for the extremist. Screenplay, Dialogue and acting is so real that you will feel like watching stuff happening around you, there is no 4th wall. I won't say anything else, but skip the last 10 mins, i promise you wont regret.

2. KD (a) Karuppu Durai (Tamil, Netflix):

A feel good road movie. A Biriyani loving 80 year old man on the run and a smart free spirited 8 year old kid buddy up totally by coincidence and the rest is a laugh riot.

3. Sethum Aayiram Pon (Tamil, Netflix):

A 20 something girl who grew up in the city comes in search of her grandmother in one of the most underdeveloped villages. She finds her, fights her, never listens to her, finds it extremely laborious adjusting to the village life and finally she loves her with all her heart. That Granny's profession is not the one to missed keep an eye, you would be surprised.

Last edited by RYP : 7th May 2020 at 12:52.
RYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:28   #1519
Senior - BHPian

I missed Baaram. I shall try and catch it today. Thanks for posting this.

And I agree on KD and Sethum Aayiram Pon. Nice ones. Loved both.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 14:34   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
I love watching Hyper-Realistic movies time and again. Stumbled across 3 such gems recently. Astonishingly all 3 had a single point of reference - Death. The way death is portrayed in different vantage points were totally surreal and sent chills down my spine.

They are,

1. Baaram (Tamil, PrimeVideo):

This is for the extremist. Screenplay, Dialogue and acting is so real that you will feel like watching stuff happening around you, there is no 4th wall. I won't say anything else, but skip the last 10 mins, i promise you wont regret.

2. KD (a) Karuppu Durai (Tamil, Netflix):

A feel good road movie. A Biriyani loving 80 year old man on the run and a smart free spirited 8 year old kid buddy up totally by coincidence and the rest is a laugh riot.
Haven't watched Baaram (too heavy for me), have seen KD though and from what I read, they both share similar themes, with KD taking a lighter route. Nice movie though
Old 11th May 2020, 15:17   #1521
Distinguished - BHPian

Thakkol

Synopsis - A young priest detests the iron-control his superior wields over him. His dreams of freedom come true when he receives a new assignment, but a mysterious key soon changes his perspective on things.

I watched this thinking it would be some interesting suspense thriller but there was nothing of that sort. But it was just ok. Too much of bible reference and theme but Indrajith and Murali Gopi were brilliant. One of their best I would say. A decent watch.

Rating - 3.5/5
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 08:43   #1522
BHPian

Lockdown Continues & movie binging continues.

Three Prithviraj movies completed in the last few days. All three on Hotstar with subtitles & surprisingly all three had Prithviraj as a cop.
7th Day, Memories & Mumbai Police.
Mumbai Police was made before its time and holds up the suspense till the end - it was a highest grosser for its release year.
7th Day is a typical thriller movie. Watch out for Tovino Thomas in a small but significant role.
Memories - a washed out cop searches for a "Righteous" serial killer. Look out for a very young & very thin Neeraj Madhav in this movie.

Next up on the Prithviraj binge watch - Koode & Ranam. Both available on Hotstar

Saw a nice Kannada movie - College Kumar (SunNXT) simply because I read that it has been remade in Telugu & Tamil and wanted to see what the movie is all about.
This simple movie tells us not to force our kids into things that were our failed dreams / aspirations.

Mathu Vadalara on Prime (Telugu with Subs)
A character actor Satya who usually is comedic relief in most movies is the one who holds this movie up. Do watch.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 11:40   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Anyone watched Babru ? Its a Kannada movie set in US. Its good for watching. Lot of intricacies exposed at the end. Good background score and camera work.
The villain looks like Virat Kohli !

Last edited by srishiva : 21st May 2020 at 11:41.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:13   #1524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Memories - a washed out cop searches for a "Righteous" serial killer. Look out for a very young & very thin Neeraj Madhav in this movie.

Next up on the Prithviraj binge watch - Koode & Ranam. Both available on Hotstar
How did you miss this in "Memories"?

The Regional movies thread!-screenshot_1.jpg

You can skip Koode and Ranam - Not worth it, especially Ranam. If you are following his thrillers, do watch "Masters" (not all that great but watchable during this time) and "Ayalum Njanum Thammil" (drama).
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 17:22   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Loved KD! Also liked Sethum Aayiram Pon. Will check Baaram.
Old 21st May 2020, 22:37   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

If you are following his thrillers, do watch "Masters" (not all that great but watchable during this time) and "Ayalum Njanum Thammil" (drama).
Ayalum Njanum Thammil is really very good. Excellent acting by Pratap Pothen.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 23:25   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Anyone watched Babru ? Its a Kannada movie set in US. Its good for watching. Lot of intricacies exposed at the end. Good background score and camera work.
The villain looks like Virat Kohli !
Where is this available? I checked in Netflix, Prime and don't see it in both.
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:08   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
How did you miss this in "Memories"?
You can skip Koode and Ranam - Not worth it, especially Ranam. If you are following his thrillers, do watch "Masters" (not all that great but watchable during this time) and "Ayalum Njanum Thammil" (drama).
You are correct. I did see it and the stickers were clearly visible as shown in the attachment you posted. May be the director is a forum member (you never know)

"Ayalum Njanum Thammil" is on SunNXT without English subs. Will miss watching this one, unfortunately.

Eagerly waiting for "Forensic" starring Tovino to drop on the OTT.
Expected by first week June 2020.
I believe the movie had its satellite screening last week on Asianet.

Ponmagal Vandhal (Tamil with subs) will stream on Prime on 29 May 2020.
I believe this will be the first direct to OTT Tamil main stream movie. It was to release on 27th March 2020 on theatre but the pandemic had other ideas.

Last edited by Ithaca : 22nd May 2020 at 09:15.
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:37   #1529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ranam was a joke; stopped after the initial 15 minutes or so. I actually liked Koode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Eagerly waiting for "Forensic" starring Tovino to drop on the OTT.
Forensic was a disappointment; when I watched Anjaam Pathira, I felt it was a bit of an over-hyped movie, but after Forensic I felt the former was a good movie
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:33   #1530
Distinguished - BHPian

Nalpathiyonnu (Malayalam)

Synopsis - This socio-political satire unravels through hilarious incidents when two people - strong followers of Communist ideologies-set out on a pilgrimage to Sabarimala.

Biju Menon tried hard to incorporate his old success formula here but was disappointing. His character and the story is similar to what we have seen in old movies. Expected some sort of magical touch of Lal Jose but he failed here.

Rating - 2/5

It's available on Sunnxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Ranam was a joke; stopped after the initial 15 minutes or so. I actually liked Koode.

Forensic was a disappointment; when I watched Anjaam Pathira, I felt it was a bit of an over-hyped movie, but after Forensic I felt the former was a good movie
Compared to Ranam, Koode was definitely better but somehow I didn't like it.

Forensic was just ok but Anjaam Pathira was better. I quite liked AP due to the entire feel that it gives like the cinematography and the BGM. Overall viewing experience was pretty good here especially in the theater.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed