Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 11:50   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Maybe I am in the minority related to this one
For me, it’s one of the overrated movie from the celebrated director. I know there is a cult following for the movie, but I felt movies like Namakku Paarkkaan Munthirithoppukal, Moonaam Pakkam, or even Njan Gandharvan were much better.
No no. You are not a minority. I know quite a few people who don't understand the fuss behind it. As you rightly said it's a cult. No specific logic on why people like it. Perhaps not even his best works.

For me I think it was the age that I saw the movie in. I was kind of infatuated by the idea of Clara and Sumalatha back in the days.

The songs are a constant companion even now. I used to put my daughter to sleep by singing onnam ragam paadi
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:18   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I am in the minority related to this one
For me, it’s one of the overrated movie from the celebrated director. I know there is a cult following for the movie, but I felt movies like Namakku Paarkkaan Munthirithoppukal, Moonaam Pakkam, or even Njan Gandharvan were much better.
Thoovaanathumbikal, Clara, and or the forced Thrissur accent from Mohanlal – none of these really made the cut for me.
Add me to the minority. It is as if if you are a mallu male you are supposed to like thoovana thumbikal and Clara. Clara in the rains was good but when she became a reality it was more of a ...meh!!

Personally I liked most of his movies prior to Thoovanathumbikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Good posts on older movies. One that stands out is Sadayam. One of Mohanlal's best performances and one of those films that is hard to see a 2nd time. One of the reasons why I guess it does not have much repeat value.

Same goes for Thanmatra. Hard to repeat watch it.
Yes. Felt the same about Mohanlal's performance in Sadayam -the time he breaks down when the sentence is stayed!! And yes hard to see second time.

Didnt like Thanmathra at all - first half full of lecturing by Mohanlal and second half too melodramatic weepy to my taste

Last edited by mallumowgli : 15th June 2020 at 12:22.
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 04:34   #1548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Watched Forensic on Netflix.

Completely disappointed.
Completely agree. Am I glad I didn't bother to watch this in the theatres when it was playing locally. The whole plot, and then casting Mamta as a cop.. this movie just goes to on to make Anjaam Pathira look like a masterpiece in comparison.

Rating : ** (Just for Tovino)
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 10:05   #1549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Completely agree. Am I glad I didn't bother to watch this in the theatres when it was playing locally. The whole plot, and then casting Mamta as a cop.. this movie just goes to on to make Anjaam Pathira look like a masterpiece in comparison.

Rating : ** (Just for Tovino)
Yes I felt the same (earlier post below); Forensic made Anjaam Pathira look like a classic

Quote:
Forensic was a disappointment; when I watched Anjaam Pathira, I felt it was a bit of an over-hyped movie, but after Forensic I felt the former was a good movie
-----

Watched Adhyarathri on SunNxt. Nowhere near the director's first attempt (Vellimoonga) but an easy watch nevertheless. (3/5)
Old 19th June 2020, 12:59   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Saw a little-known Fahadh Faasil movie called "Akam" (Inside/Interior) yesterday.

The movie is a modern adaptation of the novel "Yakshi" by Malayattoor Ramakrishnan (which has had an adaptation with Satyan and Sharada in lead roles made during the sixties). At about 1h 35mins, it is a short watch that builds the suspense methodically. Talking anything of the climax would be spoiler, but the denouement here is much more ambiguous and satisfying than the original.

It is a movie made for festival-circuits so might not be to everyone's liking. There is no BGM, no separate dubbing etc. I really had to struggle to hear the dialogues over the background noise.

Available on Sun NXT.
Old 19th June 2020, 13:23   #1551
Team-BHP Support

Sachi, the writer of two major Malayalam hits this year - Driving License and Ayyappanum Koshiyum (director as well for the latter), passed away yesterday. He was just 48 years old, and tragedy struck at the time when he was really coming to the fore.

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...ay-kerala.html

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th June 2020 at 13:42. Reason: correction
Old 19th June 2020, 13:38   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sachi, the director of two major Malayalam hits this year (Driving License and Ayyappanum Koshiyum)
To be pedantically correct - Sachy only wrote the story/screenplay of Driving License. It was directed by Jean Paul, son of actor-director Lal.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 20:53   #1553
BHPian

Penguin on Amazon Prime (Tamil, Telugu & Malayalam)

Do not go into this movie expecting it to be another "Ratsasan" It is no where in that class.

I was excited to watch this movie just because it was presented by Karthik Subbaraj and featured Keerthy Suresh in the lead. Unfortunately, this movie is a case of how a great plot can be butchered and a story line squandered by incompetent writing.

Alas, the entire movie should have finished 20 minutes before it actually did and the ending sequence is a total anti-climax and put in place for no apparent reason. Even the reasons given seem very trivial; seems like the writer and director just wanted to extend the viewing time by 20 more minutes.

If you have nothing really much to do but have 2 hours to waste, then you can watch this movie.
There really is nothing much going on for this except some great landscape shots and the BGM (back ground music) at certain points. The number of times the lead loses the child during the movie is laughable. Seems like it happens every 15 minutes. Fight sequences are amateurishly choreographed.

Keerthy Suresh does a great job but she is let down by a bad story. Not surprised they released it directly to OTT.
Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:08   #1554
Team-BHP Support

The Regional movies thread!-penguintamilmoviestreamingonamazonprimevideothereleasedateisjune19th2020.750x400.jpg

I came to this thread expecting to put up a quick review, but the following quoted post sums it up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Penguin on Amazon Prime (Tamil, Telugu & Malayalam)

There really is nothing much going on for this except some great landscape shots and the BGM (back ground music) at certain points. The number of times the lead loses the child during the movie is laughable. Seems like it happens every 15 minutes.
A one time watch, but don't expect much going into it, and definitely keep the logic part of your brain away, lest you go looking for answers. The BGM is definitely good, along with the locales, I must admit.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:52   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Keerthy Suresh does a great job but she is let down by a bad story. Not surprised they released it directly to OTT.
On another note, I in fact could not recognize her for a moment when the movie started. Was asking my wife multiple times - Is that Keerthy Suresh. She has lost hell lot of weight and looks different. I heard she did it for some Bollywood stint. Her earlier looks were great and had an appeal, not sure why did she attempt this.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:14   #1556
BHPian

Would recommend "Kappela" on Netflix . Excellent performance by all the actors and I loved the BGM as well.
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:33   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Penguin - 0.05/5

God. I mean, there was potential but it was lost in trying to over-reach and copy too many other similar movies. And why does the mom keep losing the kid? Too many plot holes, boredom! I actually slept through the last 15 mins. I somehow cannot see Keerthi Suresh in any other role than Mahanati.

Forensic - 1/5

I hate the Covid lockdown for forcing me to watch movies like this. Enough said.
naveenroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 09:57   #1558
Senior - BHPian

'Kannad Gothilla' on Prime (2/5)
The City locals' frustration of immigrants not speaking Kannada, (but in turn made to learn other languages) come to a head in this potboiler. When a few non-kannadiga migrants are kidnapped and killed, the police department entrusts the case to top-cop Shruti. As the issue takes center-stage, Nationally, pressure mounts on her to crack the case. Throughout the movie, the director seems to be driving home the point that non-kannada speakers should face grave consequences - but fails to make it interesting
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 12:41   #1559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
'Throughout the movie, the director seems to be driving home the point that non-kannada speakers should face grave consequences - but fails to make it interesting
I started this, watched the first 3 minutes of narration and the stopped realising what the movie was all about.

There a lot of better Kannada movies from the recent past that I would recommend but not this.
Old 26th June 2020, 23:19   #1560
BHPian

Kappela. One word - delightful. Do not miss.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed