Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 22:09   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Give 'Rani Padmini' a try if you haven't already. It's a little old Malayalam movie - 2015 I guess - available on Hotstar. Thoroughly underrated with a great cast and quite a few laughs.

Also, there is wonderful Himalayas for keeping company along with the blissful FFE sound track of rally bred Gypsys all along the movie. A firm do not miss if you ask me. Enjoy!
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:28   #1592
Distinguished - BHPian

C U SOON - Malayalam (Thriller) - Amazon Prime:

Surprised to see no mention of this movie on this thread. Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed the impeccably well executed thriller.

Each one will appreciate and love the fact that the entire movie is portrayed through screens related to popular chatting and video calling apps, social media pages and a lot more that most of us would normally keep seeing every day on our phones and PCs. Hats off to this out-of-the-box thinking because the entire movie is based on this concept.

On the plot itself, the movie mostly will keep you glued to the screen without a wink because there is so much that you might miss even if you got up to take a gulp of water down your throat.

The casting couldn't have been more precise for the plot. Fahad Faasil and Roshan Mathew have done justice to their respective roles without much ado and both of them look so natural for what their portrayed characters are in this movie. The duo have got it so right and as always Fahad has been brilliant with any kind of roles anyway. I have started to love Roshan's performances after watching Choked & Kappela. This one was no less. The female lead character (Darshana Rajendran) takes the cake for her extremely subtle yet natural acting complementing her role too.

The trailer looked thrilling and I was expecting a sensational ending the way it was progressing. It is perhaps only for this reason (personally) that I would rate it 4/5 stars!

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd September 2020 at 09:29.
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:52   #1593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Surprised to see no mention of this movie on this thread. Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed the impeccably well executed thriller.
Totally agree with your review. Was awaiting for it and started watching as soon as it dropped at around 11.30PM on August 31st. In fact need to watch it again as I lost focus for a just a couple of min here and there and that was enough to miss couple of key things.

Seems to have gone viral across social media with portals across India reviewing it and seeing uniformly great reports.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:26   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Agree. CU soon is a must watch.

While Fahad is his normal self and Roshan Mathews betters his Kappela performance, the real star is the female lead.

What a performance and what a movie!
vibbs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:14   #1595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
, the real star is the female lead.

What a performance and what a movie!
Yes. Although Fahad was very good, it was mostly a walk in the park role by his standards. The female lead Darshana Rajendran was brilliant. Although she has done several smaller significant roles, this I guess is the break out role for her.

On a side note, the other television premiere movie kilometres and kilometres from Tovino was pretty bad. The Netflix premiere 'Maniyarayile Ashokan' was timepass.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd September 2020 at 13:16.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:00   #1596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...entire movie is portrayed through screens related to popular chatting and video calling apps, social media pages and a lot more that most of us would normally keep seeing every day on our phones and PCs. Hats off to this out-of-the-box thinking because the entire movie is based on this concept
Concept straight lifted straight from 'Searching' (2018).......
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 00:04   #1597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A bit of ‘Searching’ but the execution and the storyline makes the movie C U SOON very good. After watching the movie, all I could think is that we all certainly can to do well to have someone like Kevin in our lives.

On another note, there is a Bangla movie named VINCI DA and which is streaming on Amazon Prime and which I will recommend for wholeheartedly. A masterful movie with a twisted climax with fantastic acting by the lead actors who are few of the best from the Bengali industry.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:38   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes. Although Fahad was very good, it was mostly a walk in the park role by his standards. The female lead Darshana Rajendran was brilliant. Although she has done several smaller significant roles, this I guess is the break out role for her.

On a side note, the other television premiere movie kilometres and kilometres from Tovino was pretty bad. The Netflix premiere 'Maniyarayile Ashokan' was timepass.
Wow what a fantastic movie! Completely agreed that it was a very simple role for Fahadh to pull off. Usually in Fahadh's movies, the other actors would struggle to keep up with him but here Roshan and Darshana were splendid too! No unnecessary scenes, not a wasted dialog! Excellent work.

Tovino is mediocre. Other than the occasional glimpses of brilliance, he's pretty much average. I think with his looks and charm, he would have been great half a generation back. But with guys like Fahadh, Roshan, Soubin, Shane, Sreenath Bhasi, Kunchako v2 around, he struggles to keep up.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:36   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Watched C U Soon yesterday night. Beautiful movie. Beautiful execution. Concept of display mirroring for the entire movie itself was quite interesting.

Cheers!
Old 7th September 2020, 12:33   #1600
Distinguished - BHPian

C U Soon

Nothing more to add. Everyone added my thoughts here.

Brilliant acting by all but Darshana nailed it. Concept is very similar to "Searching" but this one felt a lot better considering the different emotions that were portrayed.

Some interesting facts that's discussed across the social media:
1. The entire movie was shot using an iPhone. For some shots, the director used to hold the phone to record the sequences. For video calls, they had to use the back camera as it was more superior than the front cam.
2. Entire crew stayed at Fahadh's building to stay within the lockdown protocols.
3. In most movies where visual mode of communication is done for 1-1 shots/conversations, this depended on audio to enact the 1-1 conversations/scenes. That would have been extremely tricky and difficult. Brilliant editing and direction.

Rating - 5/5 (must watch)
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:52   #1601
BHPian

C U Soon !! (4/5)
Power Pandi (4.5/5) - I loved this movie due to the sentiments shown between the various characters & relations (father-child etc). A light-hearted flick which will certainly move your heart
Old 7th September 2020, 16:44   #1602
Senior - BHPian

V - 1/5

What was promised to be a negative role for the hero turned out to be the usual movie with an uninspiring flashback. The whole movie was a series of clichés with un-needed violent scenes as well. Watched for Nani, but thoroughly disappointed.

Streaming on Prime Video
Old 7th September 2020, 16:50   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
A bit of ‘Searching’ but the execution and the storyline makes the movie C U SOON very good. After watching the movie, all I could think is that we all certainly can to do well to have someone like Kevin in our lives.

On another note, there is a Bangla movie named VINCI DA and which is streaming on Amazon Prime and which I will recommend for wholeheartedly. A masterful movie with a twisted climax with fantastic acting by the lead actors who are few of the best from the Bengali industry.
Watched Vinci da. Excellent movie.
Please suggest some more Bangla crime thrillers movies available on Prime and Netflix.
Thanks.
rajivr1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 18:42   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
On another note, there is a Bangla movie named VINCI DA and which is streaming on Amazon Prime and which I will recommend for wholeheartedly.
Thanks for the recommendation. It was a nice watch. Rate 3.5/5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
The second one was Dhunki (2019), a movie around a couple of IT professional friends trying to run a food business. Again, a very nice one time watch movie that captures the trial and tribulations of running a business, getting funding etc. I would rate it 4/5.
Thanks for the recommendation. I liked the performance of the leading characters. Very smooth flowing and crisp script. Rate 4.5/5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Please suggest some more Bangla crime thrillers movies available on Prime and Netflix.
Thanks.
Indeed. I am happy that we can enjoy good movies from other regions/languages coz of the OTT platforms. Please keep pouring your suggestions.
JMaruru is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 20:23   #1605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Thanks for the recommendation.
Indeed. I am happy that we can enjoy good movies from other regions/languages coz of the OTT platforms. Please keep pouring your suggestions.
That's the beauty of the OTT platforms these days. Anyways, Amazon has the entire SHOBOR SERIES- EBAAR SHOBOR, ASHCHE ABAR SHOBOR, EAGOLER CHOKH. Good old style detective series well enacted by the principal characters. Also, CHATUSHKONE, BARNO PORICHOY on Prime are well made movies and are recommended watch.

Also Netflix has got two Assamese gems and should definitely be watched. One is AXONE and another is VILLAGE ROCK STARS. I hope you guys will not be disappointed by the recommendations.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed