Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2023, 17:05   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Kranti (Kannada)

Streaming: Amazon

Out and out a commercial film with a social message thrown in. I can understand why people in KA are crazy about D-Boss, its the dialogue delivery, attitude and a lot of whistle stunts. The movie jumps between serious scenes to comedy to melodrama and its one hell of a hurting ride. The female lead is just for filling in the gaps. None of the actor stood out. All in all give the movie a royal miss

Rating: 1/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 10:39   #3107
Distinguished - BHPian

Thankam

The Regional movies thread!-ymjkxnzq1ndi._v1_.jpg

This was a good watch even though the story was kind of predictable. Everyone acted well and especially love the roles that Vineeth is selecting nowadays.

Rating - 4/5 (Recommended). Amazon Prime

Nanpakal Nerathu Mayakkam

The Regional movies thread!-fmjpg_ux1000_.jpg

I love Lijo's movies even though some don't live upto our expectations. This is not his best work but I loved it. Mammootty nailed this one. The BGM was also pretty different. And of course, like some of Lijo's previous movies, once the movie is over, you tend to bring up different theories.

Rating - 5/5 (Must watch). Netflix

Veekam

The Regional movies thread!-m1_fmjpg_ux1000_.jpg

There were two warnings that flashed in front of eyes when I decided to watch the movie. One was the poor rating and the other "Sheelu Abraham".
I should have closely followed that warnings. This was one pathetic movie with poor dialogue delivery (Poor English language), acting and a weird BGM.

Rating - 1/5 (Avoid). Zee5

Mahaveeryar

The Regional movies thread!-screenshot-20230227-10.34.57-am.png

I was about to skip this thinking it would be some 15th century fantasy movie but realized it was sort of a fantasy time travel movie. Finally, a decent movie from Nivin Pauly after so long. This one was pretty good with good performances by all. Loved the first session of court proceedings but the second one was a bit boring.

Overall, it was a decent movie.

Rating - 3/5 (Decent watch). Sun Nxt
naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 11:46   #3108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Nanpakal Nerathu Mayakkam
I love Lijo's movies even though some don't live upto our expectations. This is not his best work but I loved it. Mammootty nailed this one. The BGM was also pretty different. And of course, like some of Lijo's previous movies, once the movie is over, you tend to bring up different theories.
Loved this one! Super slow-paced, but a pleasant watch nevertheless. Mammootty was just awesome, and made the character transformations so believable.

Looking forward to Lijo’s next with Mohanlal…
Old 27th February 2023, 13:17   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Nanpakal Nerathu Mayakkam: I seem to be in a minority here, but just like the title, I found this movie a good way to induce an afternoon nap

There may be individual elements that are good, like Mammootty's performance or some beautiful frames or a different approach to BGM. However, none of the characters connected with me and this made the movie a laborious watch despite its relatively short running time.
StarrySky is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 14:00   #3110
BHPian

Nanpakal Nerathu Mayakkam: Didn't enjoyed the movie. Maybe I'm not intelligent enough to understand this one. I'm also not clear about what Lijo Jose P was trying to communicate with this movie. Cinematography of village and it's houses were beautiful. Mammootty's performance and mannerism was also superb!
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 15:27   #3111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Nanpakal Nerathu Mayakkam: I seem to be in a minority here, but just like the title, I found this movie a good way to induce an afternoon nap
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Nanpakal Nerathu Mayakkam: Didn't enjoyed the movie. Maybe I'm not intelligent enough to understand this one. I'm also not clear about what Lijo Jose P was trying to communicate with this movie. Cinematography of village and it's houses were beautiful. Mammootty's performance and mannerism was also superb!
Not in minority at all. If fact I think a majority have this opinion. Which is why most of his movies are actually box office failures if you look only at the numbers. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never get the hype around LJP movies.

Nanpakal Nerathe Mayakkam: Like all LJP movies, beautifully shot, a very whimsical kind of feel, brilliant acting, lot of inner sub text and open ended messaging which results in the post movie debates. Compared to his other movies, I liked this better. So many picture perfect frames and Mammootty's fantastic performance driving it. But at the end of it all, if you are not into getting into the depths of movie making and try to peel the layers, it can be a boring film.

Rating: 2/5
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 19:28   #3112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Just imagine that towards the end of the movie some bearded guy in a white coat had come and given an explanation to what just happened. Or some shaman explaining the whole thing as possession. What difference would such an explanation lend to the story? The fact is, an explanation of the cause is immaterial to the story here. What has been clearly shown here is how the proceedings affect two families from two different backgrounds.

There is a scene towards the end where Sundaran and the old guy is having lunch and the wife and the daughter is sitting down with them and serving. The faces of the characters reflect the emotions going on inside them. It's a beautifully shot scene hardly lasting a minute but it captures the essence of the story.
dragonfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 20:11   #3113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Just imagine that towards the end of the movie some bearded guy in a white coat had come and given an explanation to what just happened.
Yes, I agree to you. Certainly there are multiple brilliant shorts. The scene where Sundaram get shocked when he hear that his usual barber died six months back. The fear, shock and the expression of whole panic on his face when he checks his face on the mirror followed that was just brilliant! In LJP's previous ones like Churili where it showcases the human behaviour when you are on your own realm, Jellikattu which portraits the animal in ourselves, the theme can be easily identified. Here, I'm confused on what exactly is director trying to communicate. Comparing to his other movies, this one is very slow paced. It did give a feeling of art film from the previous generation.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 20:27   #3114
BHPian

Thankam - OTT: Hotstar

I'm gonna go against the tide here and say that I didn't like the movie too much. Was it even a murder mystery? The viewers were left hanging when it came to the motive behind the event. Can't discuss anything further without giving the plot away.

Rating - 2/5
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 02:27   #3115
BHPian

Iratta (twins) - Malayalam . Netflix - 4/5

Drama thriller movie starring Joju George in double Role
It's a good investigation thriller with a hard hitting climax.

+ Joju's performance - great acting, double role with subtle difference but characters who are poles apart. Joju did a fabulous job portraying both roles.
+ Climax is unheard in regular Indian movies. Bold and hard hitting

- Bit slow in nature
- Not everyone's cup of tea

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th March 2023 at 07:54. Reason: Typos
Asish_VK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 23:26   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Pranayavilasam - M - Theatre - 3.5/5

A feel good movie with an interesting subject. They have narrated it in a humorous way so do not not focus on the details too much, but can just enjoy this light weight movie. Arjun Ashokan gels into the character easily and gives a good performance. Worth watching.
Old 6th March 2023, 08:01   #3117
Team-BHP Support

Iratta – Malayalam (Netflix) – 4/5
This one was really good. Joju George excelled in the double role with subtle mannerisms and body language to differentiate the two characters. Supporting cast (especially Anjali) also did their parts really well; Srinda as the minister was the only exception – just one aberration or misjudgment in casting.

The climax was the talking point, but think the movie stands out in its overall execution.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:09   #3118
Distinguished - BHPian

Iratta

The Regional movies thread!-1760850.jpeg

Rightly put forward by other BHPians. This one was pretty good. Joju proved it again with this one. Totally excelled in portraying both characters with ease.
Yes, Srinda was a mismatch but lucky she was just there for few scenes.

A bit slow at times, but highly recommended.

Rating - 4.5/5 (Netflix)

Thalaikoothal - Tamil

The Regional movies thread!-maxresdefault.jpg

The topic was subjected to many debates in the past and I knew this would a really slow movie and yes it was.
I didn't find it really exciting except for the brilliant acting by Samuthirakani. The others supported him really well also. But I found "Baaram" better when considering this topic.

Rating - 3/5 (Netflix)

The Legend -

The Regional movies thread!-_v1_fmjpg_ux1000_.jpg

Wife wanted to catch this as she wanted to know why this was trolled. I joined her and most of the movie was skipped. This one got numerous action sequences and songs. The storyline reminded me of "Shivaji". I do not want to add more to this as this was trolled pretty well.

Catch it if you want to see something different and have a few laughs. No recommendation - just to be on a safe side .

Available on Hotstar.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:12   #3119
BHPian

Tried watching Kranti in Kannada. Not sure how long you can make such heroic movies with unbelievable choreographed action scenes.
Darshan looks tired and just walks through the movie. Music composer Harikrishna has written the story, screenplay and directed it !
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 12:06   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Iratta: As others have mentioned already, this one is a pretty good watch. A bit slow at times, I thought especially the romance angle of one of the twins was given too much time. But it is still an engaging watch. Joju has done an excellent job. The rest of the cast is also good, but I felt the SP and minister characters were neglected by the script writer. They are, especially the minister, repeating the same dialogues in their scenes.

I was reminded of a couple of older Malayalam movies after watching the climax. Not saying that the climax is the same, but still won't mention those movies here so as not to give out any spoilers.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks