Team-BHP - Teach me how to Drive!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Teach me how to Drive!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/56659-teach-me-how-drive.html)

P.S.: I'm not sure of which section this topic really belongs to and hence I request the mods to move/merge it where appropriate. Also I know many threads may be related to this topic but I didn't find any exactly on the same lines, so please bear with me.

Hello T-bhpians,
Its been a long time since i've been here, heck its been a long time since i've driven my car above 80 too stupid:. Just been busy.
Anyway, just yesterday I watched the new Fast and Furious 4. I loved it as would any petrol-head from t-bhp. An then since I was alone this weekend, busy with work and studies, I spent some of my free-time watching a lot BBC Top Gear videos from the recent past. Which got me to think. Think about how Good drivers drive good cars, and how I drive my Zen. And I am talking exactly about what you think i am...The Doughnuts, The 360` turns, The Power slides etc etc.

Well, no i'm not gonna take out my car for a torture like this because i cannot do any of it. I know it is very dangerous and will not want to try it unless i am confident enough. Not at this moment atleast. I also know that all these are performed either my Stunt-drivers or by Experienced racing drivers. But then WIKIPEDIA says that Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson are neighter. They are just very good drivers(according to me atleast). So, what i'm getting at is how does one get from driving under powered cars in straight roads or city traffic to the level described above. How or rather where can someone (me, in this case) learn to drive like a master with all the composure and control in the world and still be doing the most outrages things in cars that are meant to them. Is there any driving school, any instructor available to people like me who love driving and wants to take it a notch higher.
Now, I know any great minds will say that 'Practice will make your perfect', but seriously, If i set out to practice without knowing anything about it I might just end-up on the side of a tree that is still a seed :uncontrol

I know we have real gear-heads on our forum and quite a few who can fit all that i described above and I need help and also its address.

I have read forums and literature about all this but it doesn't gimme enough confidence to try it.
Any better ideas or where to look for them fellas???!!!

Excellent post! I wonder the same thing on average once a week. :D

From T-BHP I've discovered the concept of "track days", specifically on the Sriperumbudur track outside Chennai. And members have written about how they've tested Ferrari-level sportscars on racing tracks abroad, lucky fellows :Frustrati

I may move to Chennai in a few months, in which case I was planning to get the Chennai T-BHP gang to tutor me on the track. (Go T-BHP!) Can it be done in Delhi or other cities as well?

Well to me confidence is the key.If you have confidence and knowledge you are spot on!!

So do you want to study the stunts or how to drive quickly & faster?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perakath (Post 1256869)
Excellent post! I wonder the same thing on average once a week. :D

From T-BHP I've discovered the concept of "track days", specifically on the Sriperumbudur track outside Chennai. And members have written about how they've tested Ferrari-level sportscars on racing tracks abroad, lucky fellows :Frustrati

I may move to Chennai in a few months, in which case I was planning to get the Chennai T-BHP gang to tutor me on the track. (Go T-BHP!) Can it be done in Delhi or other cities as well?

Well Perakath, I agree, lucky fellows will be lucky fellows and I dont see myself in that league soon :D The track day concept is good. Wish something like that was in Bangy and other cities too. Chennai is not far, but knowing my lifestyle and ma wife I wont be coming there soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by jithudigitised (Post 1256878)
Well to me confidence is the key.If you have confidence and knowledge you are spot on!!

So do you want to study the stunts or how to drive quickly & faster?

Hey Jithu, agree: that both knowledge and confidence is required in the right balance. More of knowledge than confidence and I'll be called chicken and More confidence than knowledge and the Tree (which is in the seed from my first post) is not too far. And lack knowledge and confidence....well thats me for now

Well the way I see it, driving faster or quickly is essential for the stunt bcos the car will need the momentum etc. to perform them. So what I aim to achieve is to perform the manuvers (or stunts as you put it) with maximum safety to my car, me and people around.

I hope i'm making sense with all this...

Zenster, if you notice Top Gear guys do all the clowning around on their private track. That is the right place, in my opinion. Doing this stuff on public roads, especially in India is a huge risk. You cannot anticipate who or what might run out in front of you. Get yourself a track or an empty field and practise :D

EDIT: do watch your smiley usage. :p

First and foremost, do NOT ever drift or do a 180 / 360 on public roads. The only way you are going to deeply understanding the behaviour of your car is via professional training. Here's how:

1. Racing / Rallying school : Lots of options overseas (for durations as little as 7 - 10 days) and some even closer to home.

Rally School

Rally School 2

Akbar's contact

Racing schools abroard

2. Track days. Lot's of pros willing to share tips here. Look up Team-BHP threads announcing the same (primarily down south) and join up with them.