Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Did you vote in elections, 2009?
Yes I voted in 2009 88 72.13%
I was unable to go and vote 10 8.20%
I went to cast my vote but I was not allowed to vote 5 4.10%
I did not want to vote 12 9.84%
Others 7 5.74%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2009, 17:45   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazius View Post
I am happy for f450and others who have found a saint among sinners (hope its not the guy with Rs.300,00,00,000 in assets) but I am not voting until I get the right to cast a negative vote against those contesting.
Rest assured, it's not that guy. . I noticed that you're from Bangalore. The founder of Air Deccan and a couple of other honest chaps are contesting in Karnataka as independents. I say they're honest because they have been spoken for by Narayana Murthy, founder of Infosys. And I trust his judgement.

Like I said in my first post; if you do enough research, it's more likely than not that you will find atleast one good person to vote for. If you still don't find anyone, I can't think of anything to do. (except maybe do what someone in this thread suggested: go to the booth and inform them that you're not willing to vote, so that atleast it's not misused). But I, being an optimist, feel that there usually is atleast one good person to vote for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazius View Post
One very interesting thing it seems urging people to vote has become a publicity stunt. Just look at who, John Abraham-drunk driver,Salman Khan-Drunk Driver, Poacher,etc Sunjay Dutt(almost got a ticket)-convicted under TADA
You've forgotten Aamir Khan, who is by far the most visible amongst them all. And last I heard, he wasn't involved in anything. Of course, that's not to say that some may not be using it as publicity...

The reason that so many campaigns are being undertaken to make people vote is not to force you into anything. It's because most people (especially younger generation, I think) feel that voting is not very important, not worth their time or energy....It is to make them see how vital their vote is that these campaigns strive so hard.

If there wasn't such an overwhelming "You HAVE to vote" chorus around me, I might not have bothered. I would have gone to a movie or something. They've made sure I exercise my right, and I've made sure I don't misuse my right (by voting for the wrong person knowingly).

And before you ask, I'm not involved in any VOTE campaigns. Unless you count this thread as one.

P.S.: I know you've said you won't reply in this thread. hope you change your mind (both about replying and about voting!). If you don't want to, but still want to reply, feel free to PM me...
Old 19th April 2009, 19:50   #47
Team-BHP Support

No political discussions!

Fellow BHPians, please keep this thread limited to discussions on whether you've voted or no.

Please do not mention names of any parties or politicians.

Voting is your right. Keeping it confidential is your right too.

If you want to make public who you support, or not, this isn't the place for it.

All posts containing direct / indirect references will be removed.

Thanks for cooperating!
Old 19th April 2009, 20:35   #48
BHPian

I voted in this thread but could not vote in General Elections - Thanks to inefficient officials who never bothered to even check the applications (applied once each year since i turned 18, latest being last november 22nd online)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The enrolment of voters in Hyderabad took place in Dec & Jan, forms were easily available (even on-line)
The forms were always available but there is none to process them and How do you expect a Govt operated / owned Website to do its duty ?

I am the perfect example who lost the right to vote even after having the confirmation that i applied for the vote online and just few days before the elections, their e-registration section of the website was removed and the phone number 1100 is just useless except in adding a charge to your phone bill. And i know people in my building who voted last time but got their names deleted even though they had been voting for many years from the same place and same polling station.

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 19th April 2009 at 20:37.
Old 19th April 2009, 20:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, we have to cast our vote. Otherwise, the wrong people will utilize these and will cast the vote on our behalf. It is called "proxy voting". This more dangerous than not voting as the criminals will again get into power. If you do not want to vote for any party, vote an independent whom you know he definately will not win. By doing, this, your vote will be secured and you an also tell you have "voted for change". However, this is entirely my opinion.

I anyways, will go and cast my vote not allowing these goons to take advantage and vote on my behalf.
Old 20th April 2009, 03:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
And i know people in my building who voted last time but got their names deleted even though they had been voting for many years from the same place and same polling station.
I've heard that happen to people I know too. Apparently it's because of the delimitation process, or whatever it's called. Khairatabad and other constituencies have been split up, so..........
Old 20th April 2009, 08:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

I hope voting becomes online soon. With same or more security like the banking sites. I will vote like earlier times.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:08   #52
BHPian

Back after casting my VOTE in Bangalore North. Being out of country, this was my vote in almost a decade(either local or national). Not many people when I went in this morning hopefully significant numbers will turn up before end of the day. The arrangements and security was pretty good.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:26   #53
Team-BHP Support

Went and cast my Vote, was an easy process. Though i had shifted from Ind Ngr, i did not amend it in voting list, since am moving back early next year (hopefully).

Went to one of the party stall and got my details, which polling station etc. Walked in and stood in the Q for 10 mts, went in usual check and mark on the finger and i was out in another 5 minutes.

Love the way the process has transformed in the last 10 years!
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:31   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Both me & my wife went early morning and voted. Took less than 5 minutes and I loved every moment of it. EACH vote counts.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:46   #55
BHPian

I have been robbed of my voting rights in Panvel because the Tehsil office guys have goofed up big time in not completing the enrollment though form submitted in Feb first week. Also mass deletion of non-sons-of-soil from the voters lists. Planning to file a RTI application with State Election Commission.
This election has been a strange one. No one in our locality knows the candidates, no banners anywhere. I checked up the candidates from the IBN website. Probably the candidates have concentrated on the Pune end of the new constituency Mawal under which Panvel comes. Panvel and Kharghar ignored. So only committed block voters will vote in these areas.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^

This Loksabha 2009 candidate affidavits India - information from National Election Watch is a great website for info on Candidates.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:40   #57
BHPian

polling booth?

Kind of late question guys, but where do I figure out the polling booth for my constituency ( Bangalore-East ) ?.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:45   #58
BHPian

This was the first time I voted.

I thought I would have to stand in a queue but it just took about 5 min.
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:47   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456
This election has been a strange one. No one in our locality knows the candidates, no banners anywhere. I checked up the candidates from the IBN website. Probably the candidates have concentrated on the Pune end of the new constituency Mawal under which Panvel comes. Panvel and Kharghar ignored. So only committed block voters will vote in these areas.
This is my first Indian general election.

Whilst some of the actions taken by the Electoral Commission (mentioning no names or issues!) seem excellent, there does seem to be such a clamp down on campaigning that I'm slightly confused as to how anyone knows who to vote for.

After the election was announced, the newspapers were full of the "seat sharing" negotiations between the parties, with little or no mention of policy or issue.

This bemused foreigner was left with the impression that the politicians were sorting it all out between themselves, leaving the electorate to rubber-stamp the result.

--- Just a foreigner's observation <Blush
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:35   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
Kind of late question guys, but where do I figure out the polling booth for my constituency ( Bangalore-East ) ?.
Goto nearest polling station (mostly schools) with your voters id card, they will guide you the fastest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks