Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Did you vote in elections, 2009?
Yes I voted in 2009 88 72.13%
I was unable to go and vote 10 8.20%
I went to cast my vote but I was not allowed to vote 5 4.10%
I did not want to vote 12 9.84%
Others 7 5.74%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:24   #61
BHPian

I also voted this time. Voted last time too and i have seen improvement in our locality. So wanted to vote this time also. As Snaronikar mentioned if we do not vote then it will be misused by someone else. Why give them a chance for that?
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:17   #62
BHPian

Voted the first time today.
Nice experience, 5 min queue.

I wonder why I did not get myself enrolled earlier. It was so easy.
One trip to the facilitation center to submit the forms (got from jaagore.com). After 3 weeks, I could see my name on the online list.
Will have to go again to get the EPIC card. But that wasn't required today.

cheers
lazy
Old 24th April 2009, 14:14   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is my first Indian general election.

This bemused foreigner was left with the impression that the politicians were sorting it all out between themselves, leaving the electorate to rubber-stamp the result.

--- Just a foreigner's observation <Blush
You have hit the nail !! That is exactly what the politicians want. Their concept of democracy is based on two principles :

- Keep the literate away from voting as far as possible
- Maintain their voting constituency in ghettos and with least education. Their votes come for Rs 100 sometimes or some other gifts in kind.
Old 24th April 2009, 23:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is my first Indian general election.

Whilst some of the actions taken by the Electoral Commission (mentioning no names or issues!) seem excellent, there does seem to be such a clamp down on campaigning that I'm slightly confused as to how anyone knows who to vote for.

After the election was announced, the newspapers were full of the "seat sharing" negotiations between the parties, with little or no mention of policy or issue.

This bemused foreigner was left with the impression that the politicians were sorting it all out between themselves, leaving the electorate to rubber-stamp the result.

--- Just a foreigner's observation <Blush
Lol Thad, now you know why the Indian elections are sometimes called the greatest show on earth!

The politicians and the voters, each believe that they have got the better of the other.

These elections have been quiet on the street - no banners, no hoardings, no noise. This is courtesy the clampdown by the Election Commission on expenditure and the defacing of public and private property by candidates. The candidates though have been touring their constituencies particularly the rural ones.

This election has become one of the most interesting ones. There are no visible signs of who has an edge. The voters are keeping mum about their choice and are generally keeping their cards close to their chest. This is always a dangerous sign for politicians as it means the electorate is not above pulling a fast one on the politicians.

Is this the year in which Mayawati or Lalloo Prasad Yadav become PM? All we can do is wait and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
You have hit the nail !! That is exactly what the politicians want. Their concept of democracy is based on two principles :

- Keep the literate away from voting as far as possible
- Maintain their voting constituency in ghettos and with least education. Their votes come for Rs 100 sometimes or some other gifts in kind.
+1 to your take on the world-view of the politicians.

I however disagree on your take on the poor illeterate voters. Those guys can be very shrewd. There are cases where they have taken money, gifts, liquor etc. from all the parties. There are also cases where they have taken money, gifts etc from one side and voted for the other. The poorer voters have now come to believe that to receive gifts, money etc. is their birth-right and is in no way connected to their voting!

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 24th April 2009 at 23:02.
Old 24th April 2009, 23:11   #65
BHPian

My Vote is Important Bcoz

Hey I do vote and will vote this time too. Mine is very special in its on kind. You might be wondering how? I realised durin college voting, whom so ever (candidate), I used to vote he never wins. So during college days is someone comes to me for vote he/she generally disappear in few min, after hearing story and insist me to vote the rival party. Same happen in state and central elections. To whom I voted from my area they never able to make it . So my Vote is most important anyone want.
Old 29th April 2009, 14:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Interesting article from Rediff.

rediff.com: The Great Indian Political festival

Not like other useless things on Rediff.
Old 30th April 2009, 09:39   #67
BHPian

Flaunt you Finger!

Lets see what turns up here. Today, about 14.4 crore Indians have an opportunity to franchise their right to vote. I am sure many here on TE have registered to vote and will be voting. I request all those who vote to flaunt their fingers here. Post a picture of your finger if you have voted.

Here is a lady who voted. Picture courtesy WSJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Get out and V-O-T-E! - Have you voted in 2009?-obdf524_ielect_g_20090302061850.jpg  

Old 30th April 2009, 10:59   #68
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the first time today morning.
Heres the proof:

Get out and V-O-T-E! - Have you voted in 2009?-30042009724.jpg

Now hope the candiate for whom I have voted does some good work.

I tried to make a difference? Did you? Go out and vote.

Last edited by SRK : 30th April 2009 at 11:01.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

I am going in the afternoon to VOTE,unless we vote we have no right to speak about our government.

People please go out and vote for a better future,Change is gonna come.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:51   #70
BHPian

Just gave politicians the finger. ( Voted)

Isnt it ironic that this year they are marking the middle finger? ;-)
Old 30th April 2009, 12:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

If any of the Mumbai guys are having trouble finding their names in the voters lists or polling stations, search for them online at : Chief Electoral Officer, Maharashtra Elector's Help Line

Patience is the key here, the site is awfully slow most of the times. Often throwing up a service unavailable. Let that not deter you though. I suggest you guys find your polling stations and then leave home. None of the helpdesks will ever have the whole list together.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:24   #72
Team-BHP Support

I always vote and this time was no different. No long queue, no wait - it was quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Highness View Post
Isnt it ironic that this year they are marking the middle finger? ;-)
Yup. Huge marking on the middle finger of the left hand.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th April 2009 at 13:53.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:30   #73
BHPian

First time voted for Loksabha election.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

First time I voted

Took less than 5 minutes, including waiting in the queue for a couple of them minutes. The people doing the paperwork were nice people and were helping out people nicely.

Now I just hope that these electronic voting machines are not tampered with. It's just a big box with 20 or so buttons on it, it's not difficult to modify the machine imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Get out and V-O-T-E! - Have you voted in 2009?-image0511.jpg  

Old 30th April 2009, 14:50   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I always vote and this time was no different. No long queue, no wait - it was quick.

Yup. Huge marking on the middle finger of the left hand.
Most people I know (including me) got marked on the index finger, as usual. Maybe it's different fingers for different states...?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks