Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 16:23   #46
BANNED

Re: Pest Control options for Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Is anyone aware of any spray/ material that will prevent rats from entering?
Rats urinate where they stay and it is that smell which attracts the other rats to come there. You could try this solution in two steps:

1. Clean the place as thoroughly as possible using whatever means you can so that the existing smell of urine and rat hair is reduced.
2. Spray industrial phenyl liberally in the area regularly for a couple of weeks and observe.
Old 11th July 2012, 16:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Rats urinate where they stay and it is that smell which attracts the other rats to come there. You could try this solution in two steps:

1. Clean the place as thoroughly as possible using whatever means you can so that the existing smell of urine and rat hair is reduced.
2. Spray industrial phenyl liberally in the area regularly for a couple of weeks and observe.
Thanks @n.devdath, though suggestion 1 will be impossible to implement since I have no access to the area where the rats are living (its a huge hollow unit which has no opening anywhere, only rats enter it from outside), I will try your second suggestion by drilling a hole in the unit somewhere and spraying the industrial phenyl.
Old 11th July 2012, 16:30   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks @n.devdath, though suggestion 1 will be impossible to implement since I have no access to the area where the rats are living (its a huge hollow unit which has no opening anywhere, only rats enter it from outside), I will try your second suggestion by drilling a hole in the unit somewhere and spraying the industrial phenyl.
Is it not possible to close the vent where they come in from, by installing, say, a wire mesh? Remember that rats like cool, dark and musty places and are extremely difficult to get rid of, once they set up home.
Old 11th July 2012, 16:52   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Is it not possible to close the vent where they come in from, by installing, say, a wire mesh? Remember that rats like cool, dark and musty places and are extremely difficult to get rid of, once they set up home.
Well, that hole is actually on the outer wall through which the pipe from the AC outdoor unit enters and joins the inside unit, so I cant completely close it, but I can sort of pack the gap around the pipe. I might have to get someone to hang from the terrace and do it. Will also need to ensure that the rats have gotten out of that place before we pack the hole, else the rats inside will go beserk with hunger and start chewing on the concealed wiring eventually dying or short circuiting something.

Its an irony that I also have pet mice at home.
Old 11th July 2012, 19:46   #50
BHPian

The maid suggested to use a paste of some chemical + flour + sugar, stick that on the walls and they would disappear. She says it works in the other house she goes to.

Will find out the name of the chemical and share it here.
Old 21st July 2012, 18:59   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
What exactly is industrial strength phenyl? Where do you get it?
Old 21st July 2012, 19:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra
The maid suggested to use a paste of some chemical + flour + sugar, stick that on the walls and they would disappear. She says it works in the other house she goes to.

Will find out the name of the chemical and share it here.
I am pretty sure you are talking about Boric acid.
Old 22nd July 2012, 15:21   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Industrial phenol is used at hospitals and is available at whole sale pharma and health equipment suppliers. It is far stronger than the normal perfumed white/black liquids that we usually get at the neighbourhood grocery stores and has a pretty pungent smell to it.
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:47   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Industrial phenol is used at hospitals and is available at whole sale pharma and health equipment suppliers. It is far stronger than the normal perfumed white/black liquids that we usually get at the neighbourhood grocery stores and has a pretty pungent smell to it.
Do you know how much it costs?
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:53   #55
Team-BHP Support

Anyone got a solution for ants.
They even cut through maggi sealed packets to get to maggi. Nothing is safe, not even biscuits etc., in sealed packing. They come from everywhere, through microscopic holes in slabs, through electrical contacts, through the wooden window frames....
Will boric acid mixed with flour actually work? Will it kill their colony?
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:59   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anyone got a solution for ants. Will it kill their colony?
Ants need professional pest control. They had a big colony of ants underneath my main door inside the frame. PCI sprayed a liquid into the hole, in decent quantities and the ants haven't come back, in 2 months now.
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:29   #57
BHPian

@tsk1979: Go in for a professional treatment. It will be worth it

Got the pest control done last weekend. Here is a small review:

Vendor:
Spectrum pest control
Spectrum Pest Control near Pillana Garden, Bangalore | Residential Pest Control Services | Justdial

Problem to be solved:
Small roaches had taken over the kitchen. Slowly spreading towards rest of the house.

Treatment taken:
Paste (light glowy green color paste) + spray in the kitchen, bathrooms, drains (washing machine & Balcony)

Cost involved:
600 + 50 for the tip.

Summary:
The team consisting of a 1 supervisor and 1 labor arrived on time. Since the problem was severe, i decided to use spray (instant removal) + paste (avoid future trips). Removed ALL kitchen items which gave them more room to spray. Generous spraying everywhere in the kitchen, even on the outside of the refrigerator :( , On carboard boxes which i didn't dare to remove. Those carboard boxes became wet and lost their form.

The paste was applied in the entire house is nooks and corners.

I had the option to leave the kitchen as-is for next 24hrs so closed the door and waited. It was a chaotic scene next day. The white color spray had a very strong smell which really worked. Whatever is left, is eating the paste and dying slowly. Every day i can see a bunch of dead roaches.

So far so good.

Suggestion:
If the problem is severe, best is to remove every single item from the kitchen, leave the kitchen for 24hrs OR overnight, clean it thoroughly next morning.
Before arrival of the vendor:
1. Make sure to cook surplus food and put it inside the fridge / casseroles.
2. Fill all water jugs / bottles so you dont have to go inside the kitchen again and again.

Choose a day when there are less people in the house. An outstation visit of the family is a good example. If there are senior citizes or kids in the house, avoid the spray treatment. The smell is very very strong and it may not be appreciated. The smell will stay on for 4/5 days. Open all windows and let the fresh air IN if you encounter suffocation.

Avoid future visits:
After every meal prepration, make sure the kitchen is cleaned. After a week of the treatment, start spraying the normal hit / baygon every alternate night - small quantity though - left overnight. Focus on drain areas and hiding points (which by now you should be knowing) This will help in future occurence.

Hope this helps.
Old 24th July 2012, 20:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:

I dont think one should use it, cause every product has its do's and don't and can be dangerous. Saying this because recently in mumbai a family carried out pest control in their house, the pest control guys had used an industrial product and the result was two dead people.
Things that went wrong according to news reports.
1. Industrial chemical which was used was not supposed to be used in residential house as it creates poisonous fumes and is to be used in closed godowns.
2. They were not supposed to enter the roooms for 24hrs, which they didn't follow.

Link to the report : HERE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Please be carefull and go reputed guys
Old 25th July 2012, 09:48   #59
BHPian

I am amazed that people continue to use expensive solutions (baygon spray, godrej annual packages etc) when the solution to cockroach problem is very easy.

1. Just mix atta, sugar, milk and boric acid. Make small pellets and apply in kitchen. The cockroaches will vanish in 10 days to never appear again for 1 year. The pellets are mostly harmless to humans. Total cost 15/- for year free of cockroaches.

2. Don't want to get your hands dirty? Buy the pre mix from store. I recently bought for a friend from ebay.in. The cost of 4 packets was 120/- including shipping. I can post the link also here, but I am not sure of the policy regarding that. So not doing it for the time being.

Any particular reason people go for expensive solutions?

Last edited by carbookie : 25th July 2012 at 09:49. Reason: more info
Old 25th July 2012, 10:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post

1. Just mix atta, sugar, milk and boric acid. Make small pellets and apply in kitchen.
Where do we get boric acid?

Most Viewed