Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 12:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pest Control options for Homes

Quite funny to see how one letter can make such a difference. ISIS is a terrorist outfit

About pest control, for a 2BHK, my regular pest control fellow charges me about Rs. 700. For new customers he charges more.
The basic idea is he would create a paste which has biscuits + some poison/ medicine for cockroaches.
Last time he experimented with another medicine and the cockroaches came back in a couple of months. I had to call him again. By then he received other complains and had changed the medicine. So he came back and applied the new 'formula' in the kitchen and the sink areas, where we had a problem.

After that, there are no more cockroaches. So, yes, the 'herbal' paste does work, though I don't think there is anything herbal in it.

The typical guarantee is 6 months, but practically protection lasts longer.

For house flies, I am still searching for some solution.

Last edited by S_U_N : 9th December 2014 at 12:26.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:18   #77
Senior - BHPian

Anybody planning to use rat poison (HIT rat kill etc) please handle them with extreme caution. They are made of slow acting anti-coagulants and kill the rat after 4 - 6 days, so the rat's peers do not suspect what he ate and will continue to feed on it. The rat's blood vessels rupture internally and he peacefully bleeds to death.

The drug can enter our blood stream through the skin or lungs. Such a dosage will be too small for humans, but still we must be careful. Pets may eat the dead rat and the drug will enter their blood stream. Symptoms (such as nose bleeds) may appear only after four or five days. The only antidote is vitamin-k, in repeated doses.

Last edited by Gansan : 9th December 2014 at 14:19.
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:56   #78
BHPian

Need some advise on exterminating termites (not the wood specific ones, the type which grow any where on walls, corners, etc.).
Ours is a flat on top floor of the apartment with plenty of sun, yet seeing these growth since last few months.
Old 25th November 2015, 11:54   #79
BHPian

Came across this decent piece of info on termites, posting for reference - Howe to Get Rid of Termites.
Old 10th March 2016, 20:25   #80
BHPian

Big problem with those creepy buggers in my home now. I had got the treatment done from Hi Care and it was okay for a month and then it went bad. I called them and they did it again for free. But it did not help and I saw those again within 7 days.

Any ideas what can I do now? I am tired of killing them.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:46   #81
mxx
BHPian

Anyone here installed pigeon nets in balconies? What was the cost involved. I checked with 2 vendors and the rates vary wildly (one quote was for rs.5600/- and other for rs.3900/-). the lowest per square feet cost quoted was 15/- for the exact same material.
I saw these nylon nets available in amazon for less than 8/- per square feet. Ofcourse installation will be a problem and also getting the exact same dimensions as I need (one available online are fixed dimensions).
Any suggestions? Are there any installers are cheaper? BTW, this is near bannerghatta road in Bangalore.
Old 13th February 2017, 14:30   #82
BHPian

For cockroaches, if you are averse to using any of the chemical/ poison based stuff, and are Ok to use beer , then you could try this -- take any old bottle and fill half of it with beer. Then drop a little vegetable oil. Keep it near the roaches' favorite hideout. In 2-3 days, you should see a bunch of them dead in the bottle. Of course, you should be able to handle the yuck factor of flushing down a bottle full of dead roaches. I do this and works like a charm - so no more HIT and other paste based stuff.
Old 17th February 2017, 20:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Anyone here installed pigeon nets in balconies? What was the cost involved. I checked with 2 vendors and the rates vary wildly (one quote was for rs.5600/- and other for rs.3900/-). the lowest per square feet cost quoted was 15/- for the exact same material.
I saw these nylon nets available in amazon for less than 8/- per square feet. Ofcourse installation will be a problem and also getting the exact same dimensions as I need (one available online are fixed dimensions).
Any suggestions? Are there any installers are cheaper? BTW, this is near bannerghatta road in Bangalore.
Hi,
We have installed nets at our place in Mumbai. There is a market which sells fishing nets and other nets near Crawford Market. Basically those people can cut and put a border around the net based on dimensions that you need.
For a large window, we paid about Rs. 600 and intalled on our own.

There must be similar market in Majestic or some other area in Bangalore.
Old 8th June 2020, 11:36   #84
BHPian

Could someone help with the contact of a reliable pest control vendor in North Bangalore.
Old 10th October 2020, 07:36   #85
BANNED

Pest Control options for Homes-wood.jpg

I saw this cream (or is it white?) coloured powder all inside & outside my wooden bed. Any idea what this is? Is it termite, white ant, borer or something harmless? What can I do about it? How urgent is it? The bed is made from plywood.

This is in those parts of the plywood which aren't exposed (this is the openable box storage under the bed) so they aren't covered with the laminate.

Last edited by carboy : 10th October 2020 at 07:47.
Old 8th June 2021, 13:37   #86
Team-BHP Support

Anyone in Delhi NCR who has used pest control service to get rid of ants in the house? We are facing a major problem and looking for references please.

Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 01:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Anyone in Delhi NCR who has used pest control service to get rid of ants in the house? We are facing a major problem and looking for references please.

Thanks
Hi, atleast in Mumbai none of the major pest control services specifically for ants. We too have ant problems in our flat on the 5th floor as well as in the garden. The most effective solution that has worked for me is to apply Hit cockroach gel bait as well as Amish A bait in the areas they frequent, corners, paths, nest holes, etc and this takes care of them for a good while. When they reappear after a season then redo the treatment. Works in the house as well as garden
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 10:26   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Thanks
You can buy Gamaxin ( insecticide) from a Fertilizer store. It is very effective on Ants and other small insects at home/garden. Use gloves to spread it evenly on Ants or places were you see them often.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 13:49   #89
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I’m seeing some white spots on a few walls of our rented apartment. I think it’s mold and I don’t have the time or energy to deal with the problem myself. Are there any professional mold removal services in Mumbai? Google revealed PCI as an option but their FB page is full of negative reviews.
Old 29th August 2021, 14:18   #90
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I’m seeing some white spots on a few walls of our rented apartment. I think it’s mold and I don’t have the time or energy to deal with the problem myself. Are there any professional mold removal services in Mumbai? Google revealed PCI as an option but their FB page is full of negative reviews.
Try some home hacks first - it only looks difficult when you lack simple tools like a nice handle cleaning brush, an aluminum step ladder and household safe cleaning chemicals. Google for Borax, vinegar, Oxyclean and baking soda cleaning hacks and ye will find plenty of tips. You can get 1kg packs of each of baking soda of all these for cleaning stuff easily on amazon.

HTH

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks