Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 14:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Any vinyl lovers here? I am just starting this journey into vinyl (the records, not the other stuff LOL) and have bought a cheap, used record player (Audiotechnica) to start off. Looking for some records and will be visiting a few stores soon. Thoughts?
Welcome to the world of vinyl my friend

Am addicted to it's sound and the sheer warmth in the sound it generates and now my ears just can't handle regular cds or mp3s.

Just read about the version you are going to buy as you know that metal and rock albums undergo multiple remasters and very few are nicely done. In general the first presses are the best bet but they obviously can cost a pretty penny and then some.
Old 4th May 2019, 18:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any vinyl lovers here? I am just starting this journey into vinyl (the records, not the other stuff LOL) and have bought a cheap, used record player (Audiotechnica) to start off. Looking for some records and will be visiting a few stores soon. Thoughts?
If you are in the US, discogs might be a better option than most local record stores.

Also, I would suggest you look at older used Japanese TT's. The average Audio technica TT is good to get started, but if you are serious, you can do vastly better. I got a sony and technics direct drive for about $65 each. All you need to do is keep scanning craigslist and your local FB marketplace
Old 5th May 2019, 08:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have been using Shure M44 cartridge as it is great for varied range of vinyl records. Hardly skips a groove which is good for old Indian records and obviously great for those new flashy, brightly colored music with its great bass and output
You are using the best one for the purpose undoubtedly, after shure shifted production to Mexico the quality dropped significantly, my M97xe went bad all of a sudden. Shure has stopped production so if someone wants to grab one now is the time from whatever stock is left. The reason m447 handles abuse well is because it's a DJ cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
In general the first presses are the best bet but they obviously can cost a pretty penny and then some.
Some remasters are also good at times. Need to be researched. The problem with physical media be it vinyl or CD is that some people are charging exorbitant amount for rareity and create unnecessary hypes. It's your hard earned money to spend wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If you are in the US, discogs might be a better option than most local record stores.

Also, I would suggest you look at older used Japanese TT's. The average Audio technica TT is good to get started, but if you are serious, you can do vastly better. I got a sony and technics direct drive for about $65 each. All you need to do is keep scanning craigslist and your local FB marketplace
I bought several records from discogs and my opinion is probably one should look for used records locally in shops first as they may offer a better price and first hand observation before purchase and if you build rapport will get the option of exchange of things come up bad.
Old 6th May 2019, 20:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Better late than never. Which Audio-Technica model did you buy? Hope it's a one which had the strobe light for detecting speed issues and controlling via pitch correction.
No. This is my first TT so didn't want to splurge if I ended up not liking it. Bought the basic LP60 - a good TT to start off with. I also don't have space in my apartment so didn't want to buy something pricey. It sounds good. I had to make a small adjustment to the tonearm - it was dropping straight onto the record but not playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
But let me tell you one thing, this is a serious and time taking hobby and one you may not like if you have a habit of listening playlist of digital tracks more often than entire CD at one go. I have a Technics SL-3200 direct drive TT which is also used and presently with a Nagaoka MP 110 cart. But I hardly get time and energy to listen as in India they catch static particles more easily, lucky you are in the US. My most of the listening is digital FLAC / wave through streamer.

Also to let you know, if you intend to buy kore of used vinyls vs new you need to select your cartridge accordingly which is more forgiving on track wears and pops.

Let me know what is the rest of your chain.
I get your logic about the listening to whole albums vs separate digital tracks. I grew up listening to cassettes so I am a whole album guy. But that was also another reason to move to vinyl - I miss the good old album art days and artwork! Yes, I will be buying more used records rather than new ones. Maybe once I get more space and get a better TT, I will think about better options for the cartridge. This TT doesn't have options.

Btw - did try my first vinyl record yesterday - Supertramp Breakfast in America - I think it is the original pressing - made in 1979. A few pops and cracks but hey, it sounded awesome!

Quote:
Welcome to the world of vinyl my friend

Am addicted to it's sound and the sheer warmth in the sound it generates and now my ears just can't handle regular cds or mp3s.

Just read about the version you are going to buy as you know that metal and rock albums undergo multiple remasters and very few are nicely done. In general the first presses are the best bet but they obviously can cost a pretty penny and then some.
Thanks dude! Didn't know you listened on vinyl too. Whats your setup? Yeah, I think I bought a first press - sounds great. Some of them are pricey! And I was looking for Nativity in Black on vinyl - unthinkably expensive.

Quote:

Thanks, yes. Flebay also has some good deals. I try to go to old record stores here and thrift stores. Also bought a few on ReverbLP - still waiting for deliveries.

Yes, some good deals on CL and will keep looking out. No space in the apartment LOL.

Oh and am sure you all know of this but thought it will be nice to discuss - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Also - give me a cheap way to clean those records!

Last edited by naveenroy : 6th May 2019 at 20:47.
Old 6th May 2019, 21:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
https://squeakycleanvinyl.com has a 3d printed device to which you can connect an existing wet and dry vacuum cleaner and get superclean records. It's low cost and uses exactly the same principle as some professional record cleaning machines like VPI or Record Doctor. Similar principle and even cheaper is Vinyl Vac.

This works best in small collection, but for larger unless you have lot of spare time go for fully automatic like VPI. Do not go for spin clean ones, they are not that effective as vacuum ones. Ultrasonic ones are also there in the market but I prefer vacuum method.
Old 7th May 2019, 03:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am yet to try a the squeaky clean, but I have used a Spin Clean (and a knosti disco antistat ) with satisfactory results! I don't have a wet vac yet, and those are bulky and expensive, so no plans yet
Old 7th May 2019, 05:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to try a the squeaky clean, but I have used a Spin Clean (and a knosti disco antistat ) with satisfactory results! I don't have a wet vac yet, and those are bulky and expensive, so no plans yet
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

I've finally realised what dirt can do to vinyl records. They pop and crack. Know this because I just bought a new record - Sgt. Peppers.... Always wanted to own this on vinyl. For the album art. Beautiful. Got a good deal - of all places in Walmart.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to buy LPs (old records)?-1557187272539.jpg  

Where to buy LPs (old records)?-1557187284611.jpg  

Last edited by naveenroy : 7th May 2019 at 05:37.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Where to buy LPs (old records)?

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

I've finally realised what dirt can do to vinyl records. They pop and crack. Know this because I just bought a new record - Sgt. Peppers.... Always wanted to own this on vinyl. For the album art. Beautiful. Got a good deal - of all places in Walmart.
Congratulations. My father used to have a cassette of this album and it was the first beatles album i listened to.

Not trying to get the MFSL release? Just at 600 Euros on discogs
Old 7th May 2019, 19:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. My father used to have a cassette of this album and it was the first beatles album i listened to.

Not trying to get the MFSL release? Just at 600 Euros on discogs
Hahah no thanks dude....May buy Nativity in Black for around a 100 bucks or so...not more than that.

I have bought a few used records. Waiting for them to be delivered. Also bought a new stylus.
Old 9th May 2019, 10:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

All this talk about Turntables is whetting up my appetite - especially for the fact that I love "antiquated" elaborate ceremonial devices with enough mechanical parts to keep me absorbed :-)

(antiquated compared to digital technology
elaborate because of the mechanism
ceremonial because you have to complete certain actions in order get the desired outcome)

Just curious about knowing this: Anyone done an A/B testing? I really want to do this to understand the "Vinyl sound/tone" that everyone mentions.

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th May 2019 at 10:20.
Old 9th May 2019, 10:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

What's an A/B testing?
Old 9th May 2019, 16:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guess a blind test between vinyl and other formats? CDs?
Old 9th May 2019, 18:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

In that case i can safely say LPs are better. Except in the rare cases like with an Audio Fidelity release where it could be better than the original LP. But those cases are rare.
Having started my journey with cassettes, cds, mp3s from 128kbps and then flacs and hi-res files, i find LPs to be of better sound which is pleasing to the ears.
The range is better and it doesn't hurt your ears.
Old 15th May 2019, 09:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
All this talk about Turntables is whetting up my appetite - especially for the fact that I love "antiquated" elaborate ceremonial devices with enough mechanical parts to keep me absorbed :-)

(antiquated compared to digital technology
elaborate because of the mechanism
ceremonial because you have to complete certain actions in order get the desired outcome)

Just curious about knowing this: Anyone done an A/B testing? I really want to do this to understand the "Vinyl sound/tone" that everyone mentions.
As a Fan of turntables, I do not subscribe to the belief that vinyl as a format is superior to digital. Maybe on virgin vinyl and a megabucks turntable, in an lab environment, but in practical cases, Digital is better, and infinitely more convenient.

The reason I stick to records, is that if you love old music, the CD and mp3 versions are survivors of the loudness war, while the vinyl is still from a pre war era, and much better sounding due to the minimum of analog compression applied ( different from digital compression like mp3)

Exhibit: Use your best headphones or speakers to listen
LP Rip
CD Rip

On a good pair of speakers, the LP rip will sound better. On an ordinary or cheap speaker, the CD one will sound better, and that is the standard to which most music is being mixed to these days.

If Digital were inferior to Vinyl, both would have sounded equally crappy, as it would not be capable of handling the vinyl "quality"

Vinyl is an inferior medium. Recording engineers had to take a lot of care to handle music while considering the limitations of the medium. If you tried to cut music with analog compression onto an LP, you would need a really big groove limiting the amount of music fitting into the LP, or incredibly high Signal to noise, or you may not even be able to cut the record in the first place - the cutting lathe might jump off
Digital as a format is superior, and handles pretty much any abuse the mixing engineers can throw at it, and this ends up with them doing it with certain commercial and demographic constraints in mind (the second track is probably from an elevator music CD!) , and not actual high fidelity.

Last edited by greenhorn : 15th May 2019 at 10:09.
Old 15th May 2019, 15:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason I stick to records, is that if you love old music, the CD and mp3 versions are survivors of the loudness war, while the vinyl is still from a pre war era, and much better sounding due to the minimum of analog compression applied ( different from digital compression like mp3)
Then there are some audiophile companies like Audio Fidelity and Mobile Fidelity who painstakingly try and get music with a good dynamic range in digital format.

This is a good site to compare dynamic range:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Then there are a few Russians who sit and convert LPs to High-Res FLACs and DSDs with pretty good results.

I love the crankability of LP music and my aging ears are happy with the softer/warmer sound.

No clue about the technicalities of it all, just that it sounds good to my ears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks