Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 01:27   #1
BHPian

Where to buy LPs (old records)?

Hi guys!

I have recently gotten back into using records (LPs). I got a new turntable, a high quality cartridge, got the tools to do the alignment and set up correctly, and now I am really really enjoying my old records.

However, I don't have a lot and I am interested in really expanding my collection.

I am particularly interest in acquiring Indian classical (of all types), and also bollywood (mostly for films made between 1949 and 1967).

Does anyone know of any shops or businesses that specialize in locating or selling new or second hand records?

I am in New York and there are lots of record shops here where I can buy western classical, jazz, rock, albums on LP, but no availability for Indian music.

Any guidance would be heavily appreciated!
Old 27th April 2009, 16:50   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Hi guys!

I have recently gotten back into using records (LPs). I got a new turntable, a high quality cartridge, got the tools to do the alignment and set up correctly, and now I am really really enjoying my old records.

However, I don't have a lot and I am interested in really expanding my collection.

I am particularly interest in acquiring Indian classical (of all types), and also bollywood (mostly for films made between 1949 and 1967).

Does anyone know of any shops or businesses that specialize in locating or selling new or second hand records?

I am in New York and there are lots of record shops here where I can buy western classical, jazz, rock, albums on LP, but no availability for Indian music.

Any guidance would be heavily appreciated!
There are still a few shops on Walled Delhi that stock and source old records/LPs. Will check up and get you details. They ship to almost all destinations across the world.
Old 27th April 2009, 17:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Lily Pond Complex in Chennai near the Central is the haven for such things. But I have absolutely no clue about the music you are talking about.
Old 27th April 2009, 22:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

it may not be usable to @OP.but I remember someone in cochin(woodlands junction) selling records hindi,tamil etc .another spot is near Ernakulam north overbridge.
Old 28th April 2009, 02:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
There are still a few shops on Walled Delhi that stock and source old records/LPs. Will check up and get you details. They ship to almost all destinations across the world.

hey awesome! Thank you!
Old 28th April 2009, 04:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

A little pricey but here you go

BollywoodVinyl.com

A little curious - what is your setup?
Old 28th April 2009, 06:33   #7
BHPian

I've seen that site. their prices are beyond insane. $100+ each for most of the records I want. I will pay that price if I have to but before I do I want to be sure that I can't get the same records in india for Rs200.

Already i found a british site selling the same records as that site for 1/5th price.

My set up is a Technics SL1200MK2, with a Denon DL103R moving coil cartridge and a Sumiko phono preamplifier. I've got an overhang gauge, an alignment protractor, and a vertical tracking force gauge, and a couple of test records to set the VTA, the azimuth (my current tone arm doesn't have azimuth control though), bias, tracking weight, etc.

I am just blown away by how good vinyl can sound.

I am finding that my records of sound much better than they ever did with my old turntable which was an expensive denon, but which got inexpensive cartridges and was never ever aligned properly. THe biggest difference is the complete absence of surface noise, rumble, snaps, crackles and pops on properly cleaned records, the beautiful clarity, the musical sound.

Some records sound better than the CD version. other sound absolutely horrible compared to the equivalent CDs.

The most important aspect is that I have found that old indian music consistently sounds better on record than on CD. My hypothesis is that engineers carelessly and indiscrimately processed the sound with electronics to make it sound good on CD, but that, in combination with indifferent equipment resulted in CDs that sound bright but have harsh shrieky sound.

My indians LPs sound so musical, so melodious, so beguilingly natural compared to the CDs of the same music, its just mind blowing.

but many western records do not sound good at all compared to their CDs. this is usually the case when very very competent people of great knowledge took great care in transfering old music to the digital format. This is by no means common. But when it happens, in those cases, the LP will not match the CD for clarity, dynamic range, tonal balance, microprecision, broad band linearity. but it will still have a luscious musicality to it that is just addictive.

For some albums, I will listen to CD or LP, depending on my mood. other albums, I now only listen to LP. others, I do not bother with the LPs.

Last edited by Harbir : 28th April 2009 at 06:35.
Old 30th April 2009, 01:33   #8
BHPian

I found this british website selling old Indian records. Old records clearly marked "Rs 50" were being offered for £50!!

I guess thats capitalism. You provide the service of locating, inventorying and distributing something in short supply and you price it accordingly to whatever the market will bear.

I just can't believe that the market can bear these guys selling records at as much as $150 each. I guess its because there is no competition for what they do, and if I don't want to pay the price for their service, I am free to locate the records myself.

THe wonders of capitalism. find an arbitrage opportunity and make money from it.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:17   #9
BHPian

Re: Where to buy LPs (old records)?

>>>
Harbir,

I have a few contact details of used record sellers in Delhi, which I will share with you; please PM me.

Re. Hindustani Classical records ( LPs, EPs, 78 rpm and so on) it is extremely difficult to source records of any quality because this was and continues to be, a minority taste. You will find very very few people who might be passionate about Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan or Abdul Karim Khan ( name your pick of the greats!) and those who are, won't part with the recordings easily. That is why, the used record sellers do not have many records in their inventory. The records that you will get easily are Hindi film music records of the 1970s and 1980s.

There are sources of Hindustani Classical (and Carnatic) music overseas but they are pricey and not VFM, as you correctly observe. I will trawl the overseas record sites only for western classical and jazz ( my two 'international' favourites) only and try my woebegone luck on Hindustani Classical, Hindi film & Rabindra sangeet in the dusty lanes and bazaars of India.

You may like to join India's Audio Video Home Theatre and Hi-Fi Discussion Forum to get onto the analogue bandwagon.

Regards, drive safe
Old 28th June 2011, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just the thread I was looking for. My dad picked up a Denon player a while back for his huge 300 odd LP collection. I am also on the lookout to buy some good LP's for his collection.
Old 28th June 2011, 14:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Hi guys!

Hi! Could you kindly inform which speeds your turntable can do? 33, 45 and 78?
Old records are very often available in Chor Bazar. But that is also a very well organised market, if one can get contacts, there will be lots to chose from. Many will not be brand new and so you may find scratches on some.

Cheers harit
Old 28th June 2011, 16:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is a shop in Boston which has a huge collection of LPs. The shop is located in Quincy market. Pretty good collection, and I have not seen as stock of these anywhere else
Old 3rd May 2019, 21:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Any vinyl lovers here? I am just starting this journey into vinyl (the records, not the other stuff LOL) and have bought a cheap, used record player (Audiotechnica) to start off. Looking for some records and will be visiting a few stores soon. Thoughts?
Old 3rd May 2019, 23:40   #14
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Any vinyl lovers here? I am just starting this journey into vinyl (the records, not the other stuff LOL) and have bought a cheap, used record player (Audiotechnica) to start off. Looking for some records and will be visiting a few stores soon. Thoughts?
Better late than never. Which Audio-Technica model did you buy? Hope it's a one which had the strobe light for detecting speed issues and controlling via pitch correction. But let me tell you one thing, this is a serious and time taking hobby and one you may not like if you have a habit of listening playlist of digital tracks more often than entire CD at one go. I have a Technics SL-3200 direct drive TT which is also used and presently with a Nagaoka MP 110 cart. But I hardly get time and energy to listen as in India they catch static particles more easily, lucky you are in the US. My most of the listening is digital FLAC / wave through streamer.

Also to let you know, if you intend to buy kore of used vinyls vs new you need to select your cartridge accordingly which is more forgiving on track wears and pops.

Let me know what is the rest of your chain.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th May 2019 at 00:11.
Old 4th May 2019, 11:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to be in such company.

My equipment is a Technics Direct Drive SL-Q33(K) coupled to a vintage Pioneer SX434. Not buying too many records for past couple of years as I think I have built a practically listenable collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Also to let you know, if you intend to buy kore of used vinyls vs new you need to select your cartridge accordingly which is more forgiving on track wears and pops.
I have been using Shure M44 cartridge as it is great for varied range of vinyl records. Hardly skips a groove which is good for old Indian records and obviously great for those new flashy, brightly colored music with its great bass and output.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 4th May 2019 at 11:51.

Most Viewed